Masters Running

Monday June 22 Runs and Everything Else (Read 489 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

No run for me today, but I thought I would start the daily just to wake you all up. 

I'll do a few stability ball crunches and a chin up or two.

Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I'm awake and I ran too though it was a tough one.

10 miles in an hour 29 minutes.  81° and 84% at 5:00 AM.  I just ran it easy (GA or so) so I'd get it done.  Took along my fuel belt - drained the two bottles inside 7 miles and had to stop at the Equestrian Center for a refill - the coldest water fountain in town.

It has been quite warm here all weekend - upper 90's which is quite unusual for us.  Low 90's yes, most every day.  But rarely if ever higher than that.  When it was 91° at 9:00 PM last evening I knew this morning was going to be a sweatfest.  And it was.  But it's in the books!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Sometimes.....not often...but sometimes it's good to be back at work.

I had a great weekend, surrounded by great friends and family but man am I bushed !

Sat started with a Sprint Triathlon....up at 3:30am and on the road at 4:30.....and ended last night following a fathers day gathering in my hometown with a whole lot of fun, sun and beer in between.

I really dogged my swim workout today !

Temps are up and humidity is high......Summer is Here !

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Way to tough out the heat Byll!

3 Magical Healing Miles with Tory and Sadie at 10 min pace, AHR 148.  With sunny 80°, we were all glad to be done.  Then X-training core and legs.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

dg.

thanks Holly..   (yawn...)

aww Berger that's brutal.  nice job. 

Slo_hand rest up at work.   Maybe you need Doritos.

Holly, what did you plant?  Have you taken any more pictures?    How did DS like his trip?

I did 1 hr. of Verstegen's prehab & mixed in some of the Injured runner dvd this morning at 5:00.  foggy & 64F, but it didn't matter in the living room.

one of those blissful summer days here.. I hope it cools down for Byll & Perch.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Holly--i haven't gotten my HRM to work consistantly enough yet to have any idea of my baseline and what effect the heat may have.  a secondary reason is that we've had such a miserable rainy cool end of spring that I haven't actually run in anything resembling heat .  Certainly nothing like Byll defines as heat.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Heckuva run in those conditions, Byll.

I know I'm not going to get any sympathy from this crowd (and especially Byll), but in the years that I was working I never had problems running in the summer months because I did my running before work, at 6:30 or earlier, and it's rare for it to be hot here at that hour. Now though, going out between 8 and 9, it's really tough with the sun fully up and temperatures rising.

Anyway, I went out to run solo today on the 6-mile loop around the lake at the metropark, but after just 2 miles felt like I just didn't have it. So at about  2.5 I turned around to make it just a 5-miler for the day. But then I encountered two guys from my running club who had been not that far behind me, turned around again and easily completed the lap with them for 6.4 miles at a slightly sub-10 pace. Goes to show how running with someone and some good conversation can make the miles fly by.

Now get out there and run, heat or not, youse guys!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, what did you plant? 

A type of silver wormwood

and yellow coreopsis

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

But then I encountered two guys from my running club who had been not that far behind me, turned around again and easily completed the lap with them for 6.4 miles at a slightly sub-10 pace.

Way to go Doug! 

Nice run breger, especially for a Mon

Nice pics Holly

Eerily I had the same exact run as Thur when perchcreek and I could have run together.  I didn't look at my watch this time though and just went by feel to keep it easy.  I ran the exact time and distance, 5.37 mi, 47 min, 8:45 pace.

I forget if it was wildchild or twocats that mentioned all the numbers in one of my posts, I smiled after going back to the post and realized there really were a lot of numbers in it Smile  I guess that's the engineer in me, and I've loved numbers since I was about 4!!  (Ooh, there's another number )

Happy Mon all ...

rs

Troy Strawberry Festival 10k - 6/7/09 - Goal 46:xx -->46:18!!; Americana 5k - 7/4/09 - Goal 21:xx-->21:12!!; Brookville 5 miler - 7/25/09 - Goal-->34:xx-->36:21; Crim 10 Miler - 8/22/09 - Goal sub-1:15-->1:14:14!!; Alter 5k - 9/5/09 - Goal 20:xx-->20:32; AF Marathon - 9/19/09 - Goal sub-3:38 (PR)--> 3:41 (BQ)

Wow, some great heat running.  I don't know how you guys do it.  Kudos to you.

Nice pics, Holly.  People will ask me what I planted, and I'm like, "Um, that stuff there."  The names of plants refuse to stay in my brain.

SRD for me today, thankfully.  I'm still pooped from the weekend.  I just about have all my extra transcription done, so that's a plus.  Maybe I'll get start having some of my evenings free (knock on wood).  But, I have to say the extra dinero/my play money has been nice.

Have a great week ~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Don't know when I posted last...?

I didn't run Friday, just needed the day off for "stuff." Saturday was our Midnight Sun Run 10k, the race with the 10 p.m. start and I was hoping for sunshine but it was cool and rainy. My final time was 48:07, exactly the same as last year and 2 minutes off my PR time from 2007. (Don't know how the heck I did that in 46 minutes...) Felt pretty good until mile 4 when a twinge in my lower back told me to settle down. Not that I had much choice, I sure didn't have much "kick" at the end.

Yesterday was cool and wet in the morning because it'd rained all night. But the skies cleared by noon and even though I felt really tired I thought of my "10" on my schedule and thought, ah what the heck, I'll see how far I get. I got 8 miles before I called DS1 for a ride... That was enough. Geez, felt like I'd run a race the night before!

Legs are tired and lower back/hip are tweaky this morning so no run for me today, I'll head to the gym/pool after work while DS2 is at soccer practice. They have a tournament this weekend that we'll miss by being in Seattle, but he'll make all the games by riding with friends.

TammyinGP

Have been having these terrible dreams that I've barely been running for the last week and all of a sudden I realize I have a marathon in 5 days and I'm so unprepared. . . .

then I realize it's not a dream and it's for real!

{gulp}

Tammy

Normal Tammy.  Welcome to Taper Madness!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Midnight Sun Run 10k, the race with the 10 p.m. start . . . . I was hoping for sunshine

Is it just me, or do these two phrases just totally contradict one another.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

In most places, that might be a perfect contradiction! But not here... There are some years the sun is up and blazing away, temps in the low 80's. Not this year, but it wasn't really all that bad, just a misty drizzle most of the way.