Masters Running

Wednesdaily, 5.23.18 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I hope the eye exam went well, Dave.

Very good job of helping your DD through a challenging situation, C-R.

Mike, did I ever tell you about the time, many decades ago, when I dropped a Mrs. Butterworth figurine at a photo shoot because I didn't know that it was in 2 pieces, with the top half just sitting on the base? And it was the only one they had. And I was the account ex. on the shoot. Fortunately, the shoot was all but done, and the client was (much to my everlasting gratitude) very forgiving. So, if you want to talk about screw-ups...

Looks like a gorgeous green way, Mariposai.

Has Emma returned, Evanflein?

How are things going today, Steve?

Our conservation commission meeting was 3.5 hours last night, despite my best efforts to keep it moving. However, we did get a lot of good work done. By the time I got home and to bed, it was almost 2 hours later than my usual bed time. I slept in almost an extra hour this morning, so I'm OK, but still in a deficit. And I have another meeting tonight. I sure am a lucky guy! No workout today because of the mini sleep-in.

Have a greta (not greeta) Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Morning, Masters.  Sitting here posting with a large black Ragdoll cat on my lap (I removed him from the keyboard).

3.5 nice, outside miles.  Ran the whole way- slowly.  My endurance disappeared over the last 6 weeks with the injury.  Could feel the butt thing and some walking breaks would have been smart, but feels pretty good afterwards.

Have a good day!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Rainy last night + sunshine this morning.  That's the recipe for swampiness. 5 miles.

Mike-- +1 for giving your phone's voice memos a try.  Takes a little getting used to but, once you do, its very helpful.

Mariposai--maybe I missed it...did you get the flooding you were preparing for? I hope it wasn't bad.

It looks like Lucy has that ball all teed up for you, Tramps.

Yep. It'll be different this time. For Caps fans, it's the biggest game in 20 years. What could possibly go wrong? Go Caps! 

Be safe. Be kind.

Sees-the-Ground

barefootin'

4 easy miles today.  Feeling a little wear, but I've done this before on my way to a new base.  1st mile was under 11 pace for the first time this go round.

Bill Wagnon / stl

TammyinGP

Hello Everyone!  

Yesterday was a non running day for me, but today I'll get in something after work. Supposed to be mid 80's, so not sure how much oomph I'll have. 

We have two luncheon's to attend today for David. but they overlap so will miss some of the 2nd one. First luncheon is with the Rotary for David to receive his scholarship from them. Then we have to dash off to the Valedictorian/Salutatorian lunch.  The principal is requesting that David be the last student presented so that we can hopefully get there in time. And hoping the Rotary doesn't drag on too long either, but since they are giving him $$, they will be priority.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - you are a busy man!  Good luck at tonight's meeting.

Nancy - that is a lovely place to run.

Today is DD's last day of school, and probably the last day I will ever drive her to school, since next year she will have her license when school starts next year.  Kind of bittersweet - more convenient, but marking the end of another era of my kids' lives.

5.2 miles for me this morning in 60 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

..howdy....

80s here

...60-min HH 3-2s at soccer fields.....

school's out tomorrow,so HS soccer fields for the summer.................ohboyohboy

.........good Running to ya.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Quickadder

5.6 hot & humid daybreak miles. Almost identical conditions to my 5 mile race last Saturday and I was 40 seconds per mile faster today!

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Upcoming race: Contraband 5 miler 5/4/24 

Jlynne

Happy Wednesday good people. Just checking in to see how y'all are doing. Jay is a "meeting machine" I see, Holly has expanded her family and shrunk her living space, KSA is nursing a sore butt, Tramps' team is not dead (yet), David will need a wheelbarrow to collect all of his scholarships  Tom is looking forward to having the soccer fields to himself, Mike and Steve are the rocks keeping their employers' businesses afloat, Erika has hopefully found her cat, Sees-the-ground is adding miles, and everyone is enjoying the wonderful spring scents.

I'm still on the DL, and probably will be for a long time. The steroid injection didn't do anything, and the pain in my lower back has not gotten any better. I'm more concerned about my right leg. I tried to run this morning - just a few steps - and it's like my leg is numb. It feels like it's just going to buckle underneath me. Yet when I try to sit for any period of time, it hurts like he%&.  I'm not sure if there is some nerve damage going on, like my sciatic, if it's a hamstring, glute issues or something else. Yet going on the elliptical doesn't bother it. But even walking hurts now. I force myself to get out for 4 or 5 miles on opposite days but there's always Aleve involved at the end. I'm sad that the warm weather is here and I can't do anything. Just needed to vent - I hope everyone understands. And if you have any suggestions or advice, that would be great too.

Turning 65 was my undoing. Try to skip this year when it comes up

Turning 65 was my undoing. Try to skip this year when it comes up

You can always vent here!  Hang in there.

Jay - Yes, he's definitely a meeting machine.

MikeE - I started taking 1000 mg of B12 every day per the recommendation of my NP and it has helped my memory a lot.  I still have issues, and it took about a month or so, but I absolutely notice a difference.  And I live and die by notes.

Falconfixer - When do you get to stop trying to work two different locations 600 miles apart?

Love photos, Posie Lady.

Where's Tet?

Hope Emma came home. 

15 min of stat biking this a.m., followed by about an hour of core/ST.  I've read through more of "Running Rewired," and it's been very helpful to understand some of my issues.  This morning I began incorporating some of the exercises and realized that although I've been working hard on my core/ST, I am far from being where I should be.  Some of the exercises I couldn't even begin to do, so it's definitely a work in progress.  Some really great ones to get the glutes firing like they're supposed to, as well as an exercise I'll be trying to see if helps my knee.  It involves a mountain bike tire tube.  I think this book may be my new "Running Bible."  Pages WILL be dog-eared.

I am the only paralegal for two departments in our office.  Today, both secretaries and one of the attorneys are gone.  It's a good thing I have a massage scheduled for after work.  The thought of it is the only thing that's keeping me from having a total attitude from hell. 

Okay - Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

JLynne- that sounds a lot like my injury, and really a lot like what I had in 2010-11.  The weakness in your leg and feeling like it will collapse is from nerve impingement.  Not necessarily sciatica, but definitely something with the nerve.  In 2011 I wound up having epidural steroid injections (xray guided) which finally did the trick.  The cortisone shots did not do it.   I would recommend NOT sitting unless you have to.  Stay standing or lie down whenever possible.  Sitting really aggravates that nerve stuff.   See what happens if you put a lacrosse ball (or baseball or tennis ball) under your butt or even in the small of your back and lean back against it.  If you get some relief, you know the nerve is being impinged and things are tight in your hip/lower back area.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Hi folks! I’m coming out of lurkdom too, Falconfixer.  The Symphony Orchestra concert was last night and I didn’t mess up my clarinet part at all!  It’s nerve wracking since I’m the only one on the part. Whew, glad that is over.  I snuck in run and shower before the concert. Now I am on a 10K training plan. I have 4-5 weeks "pre-training schedule" before the 12 week plan starts. That should be time to make running a habit again. If I can lose weight and get my pace down under 10:00, I’d maybe have a shot at 3rd in my AG.  Last year 1st and 2nd were 7:14 and 8:50 pace, that’s not my speed at all!

Jlynne, so sorry that you are still suffering this pain. I don't know what to advise but take care.  I thought about the Cell-Com recently and am glad I didn't sign up for that this year!

Erika, I hope Emma comes home. This morning there was a teeny tiny orange kitten on my front step.  I don't know where he/she lives but maybe in my bushes. I felt sorry for it but I'm quite allergic to cats. Maybe I can capture it and find a home for it at my SIL's nearby farm.

Good running to ya!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

wildchild

Carolyn

Jeanne, bummer about the nerve pain - hope you get it figured out!

RKSA, glad to hear you're slowly recovering and getting back to running.

Tammy, have fun at the two luncheons, and try not to eat too much!   Congrats to David.

Holly, do most kids drive themselves to school when they get their license?  My DD took the school bus.  Of course, she didn't get her license till she was in college, but even if she had one in HS, she would have taken the bus.

Hi, Starr!  Glad your concert went well.  Is your wrist 100% healed up?

I met two women for an 8 mile trail run today, and we had fun catching up, since we haven't run together for a while.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

When my son got his license and then his own car, he drove himself to school. never to take the bus again!  So that was his Jr and Sr years.  He definitely needed it too as it was a rare day that he was only at school from 9-3 w/o having to leave at some point for something - whether that was after school sports (his HS doesn't have their own courts, so they have to all go to a community park with courts for their practice time). A couple volunteer parents would drive kids that didn't have their own way, but then I'd have to arrange to pick him up each day at the end of practice, 5:30. Or when he was school store mgr, he would have to go to pick up his orders for the store from our local CoreMark. Before he had his own car, his Advisor was having to drive him there to get all the products he ordered for his store.  Definitely, gave him a lot of freedom and independence once he had that license/car.  Next year will be quite the adjustment when he does NOT have his own car at school. 

Only made it to the Rotary lunch for presentation of his scholarship. So he (and we) missed the Val/Sal lunch which is kind of a bummer but probably more important that he was at the Rotary one. Rotary went on for 2 hrs, so much longer than we anticipated.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, do most kids drive themselves to school when they get their license?  My DD took the school bus.  Of course, she didn't get her license till she was in college, but even if she had one in HS, she would have taken the bus.

I don't know if it is most, but quite a few do here, and it is not like we are an affluent community or anything.  I took the bus when I was in HS, but we care about love support our kids more than my dad and SM did, but our family had issues so I don't know what was the norm back then. We provided both kids with an inexpensive car, and let them know that if they wreck that one, the next is on them.  Having a car will allow DD to get a job, which she is antsy to do, and gives me more freedom as well, since she has regular and many sports-related activities.

Jeanne - please don't feel like you have to be running to post here.  We love hearing about the other things going on in your life, too.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."