Masters Running

Fridaily 6/16 (Read 36 times)

bioguy

No time for a recap, but I'll start us off.

We have two more days of grading to go. Yesterday I graded 416 answers...Saturday is our fun run; first 76 finishers get a tshirt. I should also do the race with the AP statistics folks- they do a 1.8 mile prediction run; no watches allowed and you write your expected finish time down.

Have a great Friday!

Thanks, bio.  Good job on getting through the grading!

Good morning to those to follow.   I messed up and didn't drink enough yesterday or last night and I really had a bad run this morning.  Had to take a bunch of rest breaks and even some walking- 4.3 miles.  I know better.

We are taking the 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser to CarMax today to (hopefully) sell it.  Their offer online was good and beats the hassle of a private sale.  I believe we were honest in all our answers to the condition questions, so unless they disagree, it will be gone.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

bioguy, that sounds like fun! (not the grading though...)

Karen, it happens, I had a very bad experience with that once long ago. Liquids are KEY. Good luck with your vehicle sale"

I went out this morning for a tempo run, set my speed and stuck to it. I ran a 6 miler at a good pace, the pace I want to hold through the half Sunday if the conditions are right. Have a greight day Masters and may your feet hit the ground running!

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Thanks for the start, bioguy. That's a lot of grading!! So the 'fun run' is at least semi-competitive (to see if you can get a shirt)? Prediction runs are always fun - how well do you know your pacing?

Sorry about the dehydration, KSA. I hope you stay well-hydrated today and beyond. Good luck with CarMax.

Good job of sticking to it on your 6-miler, Sub7.

Nice run yesterday, Jlynne, despite the wind and rain. I'm glad you are seeing good results from your leg and core work.

I'm glad you survived the altercation at the dog park, dnaff. I used to have a high metabolism too, but it has slowed, and it is more challenging to adjust to the new reality than one might think.

Nice sunny jog, Henrun.

Good flat run yesterday, KSA, with a bonus deer sighting.

Good 3-miler, Dave. Yep - there are definitely times when one shouldn't look in a mirror.   I never though of new tires as an anniversary gift...

I'm glad you had a good ride, Tramps, despite the fly and lap button swatting.

Nope - I don't see you as a wimp, Tet.

Hi Anneb! Congrats on the successful surgery and a shower! I hope the rest of your recovery goes quickly and smoothly.

Have a great trip and meet-up with David, Tammy.

I never heard of butt-crack early, Leslie. Is there also a butt-crack late? I'm glad you got in your lunchtime 4-miler in some sun.

Good luck with that interview, Holly. I also hope that you wind up with a job that you are happy to go to each day (or most days), and that comes with a decent amount of vaca time.

Welcome back, Tomwhite, and good work on the soccer field and stair climber. I guess I won't be applying for the job of Sheriff in Salem any time soon (or ever).

Good 8-miler to kick off your summer, Moebo.

I'm glad that you found a way to be truck-free on your journey, Doug, and that you got in a nice riverfront walk.

I'm glad you could postpone the backpacking trip in the hopes of getting better weather, Enke. I hope your wish for a fall severance package to cover some fun traveling comes true. DW is one of 14 kids, and she and her siblings range from 0 kids up to 5. DW's mother and father were each one of 7, and we have lost count of how many cousins, nephews, and nieces we have, but we figure they could populate a good-sized town.

"Every day the kids are waking up in a body and mindset that is different than the day before. Then keeping track of everything that is going on in the world. Yikes! Hopefully I never forget those years as an individual, a stepparent and a grandfather. Hopefully, when our grandkids have dark times, and they will, they can look back and remember how cherished they are." Couldn't agree more, Steve. Also, so much screen and social-media time is not doing anything positive/constructive for kids, and it is worrisome about how that will impact their socialization and communication abilities.

Last evening, DW and I and a neighbor took a walk along the Hampton Beach boardwalk to see the progress being made in an annual sand sculpture competition - amazing work!

I got up a little late this morning and went out for 3.4 EZ RW miles in 63° temps under brightening skies, followed by 40 minutes of stretching and core work. When I opend the door to head out this morning, I caught a deer, red-hoofed, eating some of our backyard plants. It took off before I could 'splain why it shouldn't do that. I have 2 racewalking races tomorrow - a 5K at 8:00, and a 1-mile at 9:30. Even though they are short, I've never done 2 races in one morning, so it should be interesting. Then we are having company for dinner tomorrow night, so I'll continue that prep work when I get back. On Sunday, we may (still trying to work it out) drive to NY to help a niece and her family who are moving to a new home. So it won't be a quiet weekend.

Have a greta Friday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks for the start, Bio.  That is, indeed, a lot of papers!

Both you and Jay - Have fun at your races!

I have the option of an EZ workout or a rest day today, so I'm taking an extra rest day.  It's a rarity for me and feels weird, but it's in celebration of being solo for a few days. 

Locally, we have a collegiate summer baseball team, the Humboldt Crabs - the oldest, continuously-operated, independent wood-bat, summer baseball team in the country.  This year is it's 79th consecutive year.  The Hub was it's manager for . . . I can't remember how many years.  Anyway, my office rented the BBQ area, so I'm headed there for a few innings this evening.  Pretty much show up, eat, leave.  I want to enjoy my alone time at home!  Tomorrow a 7-mile run is on tap, then a graduation party tomorrow afternoon for the neighbor's daughter, then finally whatever I want to do.  Given The Hub's propensity for traveling at godforsaken hours, I'm guessing he'll be home around 8:00 a.m. Sunday. 

Happy Friday Betty White GIF - Happy Friday Betty White Tgif - Discover &  Share GIFs

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tramps

Thanks for the start, bioguy. Have fun at the race.

Great to see Anne home and on the mend!

tom--I missed the trip info. College tours?

enke--best on the buy-out situation.

Also, so much screen and social-media time is not doing anything positive/constructive for kids, and it is worrisome about how that will impact their socialization and communication abilities.

Indeed. My read of the existing research is social media use is (a) good for kids who feel isolated in that it enables them to find/develop an online "community;" (b) bad for nearly everyone in short-circuiting the development of IRL social skills and contributing to depression for some so inclined..

Leslie--enjoy the BBQ and the alone time.

Tribee's back was bothering her a bit today (too much time at the computer this week, I suspect) so she was taking it very easy on our ride. I decided to surge ahead and double-back in places, which got me some extra miles at a quicker pace. In the end, it was 26 miles for me.

We got a little rain overnight in the form of a thunderstorm and the forecast is for more of that this afternoon. We'll take whatever we can.

Have a great weekend!

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

We are taking the 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser to CarMax today to (hopefully) sell it.  Their offer online was good and beats the hassle of a private sale.  I believe we were honest in all our answers to the condition questions, so unless they disagree, it will be gone.

Wait - why?  We always buy our cars used (with about 30k miles on them) and drive them until the wheels fall off.  What is wrong with your car that you want to sell it?  Do you want to sell it to me?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly- besides what I told you on the phone, I should add that it has 160K miles!  You can do better!

dnaff

A little more than 4 miles for me today.  The 3rd one was into a pretty stiff breeze and took more out of me than I’d like.

Our youngest turns 28 tomorrow.  We are celebrating at an Italian restaurant tonight.  This will be a little fancier than we usually do, but that’s what birthdays are for, right?  I’m looking forward to it.

''tom--I missed the trip info. College tours?''

............unsurprisingly for a 15-year old,

given a college tour or an extra day in Salem, the tour lost

..............30-min ARC Trainer..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

Bio, congrats on the award, and have fun grading AP tests and fun running!

Sub7, nice tempo run today - hope the weather is good for your race!

Karen, bummer about the bad run.  Hope you're hydrating today!

Anne, I'm happy to hear your surgery went well!  Hope the recovery continues to go smoothly.

Interesting thoughts from Enke and Jay about family size.  Wow, Jay, your DW's family is huge!  Is that why you have so many house guests? Besides the fact that you live near the ocean and have a guest cottage in your yard, and are awesome hosts?

We only have one kid, and she only has one kid.  Our reasoning, and hers as well, is that the world is overpopulated already.

I went out for a fast (for me) 5.5 mile run on the dirt roads.  I usually either power walk the uphills, or run them slowly, if they're not too steep.  Good ultra training.  But today I tried running uphill fast - not quite sprints, but more like hill repeats.  Surprisingly, it felt good.  It was chilly (mid 40s) and overcast, which helped.  And I was back to wearing tights and long sleeves.  DH and I listened to a youtube video of a sports med doctor who recommended high protein intake, resistance training, and some high effort cardio.  DH and I have been drinking protein shakes on the days we do weights.  (like today).

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Dnaff- have a good dinner!    WildChild- good run!     I'm going to Banff next week for a legal conference and it will be cold.....

bioguy

Well the computer system for grading is down; we might be working late Saturday….

Weird week; Mrs Bio’s brother and sister in law announced their pending divorce after 43 years of marriage.

Oh, bioguy.  That's so sad and disappointing.  It sure happens, though.(the divorce...)

That's sad to hear Bio. Like my neighbours who split up after being together I would guess about 50 years. I just don't get it.

3 mile walk with DS for the first 2 - he went off a different direction to buy lunch. Will go over to MBE's for date night which we missed last week due to his volunteer trail work.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."