Masters Running

Thurs 6/26 Masters Runs (Read 517 times)

Good morning Boomers. Tried to run this morning but it was 82F with high humidity and that's about 30 degrees warmer than I like it! Was covered with sweat after the first mile so I decided to walk home. I did get a 6.5 miler in yesterday, though. My sister's friend is teaching a Zoomba class at the Y this afternoon. Has anyone heard about this yet? It's supposed to be quite a workout. That will be my "box" for the day, and I'll report back tomorrow. To Dave, Evanflein and all the others dealing with stressful lives lately, remember what George Costanza's father always said: SERENITY NOW! Running is such a great stress reliever - I hope you all mark off the time every day to get one in. Roy - way to "coax" your DW into an extra couple of miles. My DH leaves next week for his trip to the UK/Ireland - how's the weather? Mary - I'm sure you'll miss Bernie. I don't think I could give the puppies away. That would be a hard thing to do. How is your training going? Breger - you're my hero. Don't know how you run in heat and humidity like that on a regular basis. How many pounds do you sweat off after a run? Dicky and Holly - glad you're both taking a day off from running, though it sounds like neither one of you know how to take a complete REST day. Hope you both mend quickly. Nice runs Tim and Peter. Spareribs, glad you beat the storm! I'm sure you're looking forward to going home tonight. Have a safe trip. Enjoy the rest of your day, everyone. Jeanne
    Tramps

Oops, forgot to post this morning. 8 miles @ 9:15. Will try to read later.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

Rest day for my butterfly wings. I am working only half day today and tomorrow my DH and I are taking a little trip to Banff National Park, Canada for a relaxing four day weekend. I am not sure how much running I will be able to fit in, but I hope to do some trail runs while up there. Troilus and Cresside by Shakespeare is going to be my reading companion during the trip and during the summer months. Tongue butterfly hugs to all who are Resting, are hurting (body, mind and spirit) and running.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

4.96 miles run in the cool of last evening. I am trying a new dimension in my runs that I want to experiment with for a while before I comment on it.
          I can't wait to hear about your new dimension, Vista! It wouldn't be "too many significant figures" would it? Big grin (sorry, bad engineer joke)
          Wildchild: Altitude? Absolutely! My buddy who lives in Santa Fe claims it takes at least a month to start adapting...when I go out west for ski trips, I don't even bother to bring my running gear anymore.
          Yeah, but I've lived at this altitude for 26 years, so I should be adapted by now! I think that no matter how adapted you get, high altitude still slows you down somewhat. Similar to getting adapted to H&H - still slows you down. Biketm, you're sweet to be so concerned about Erika. You're a good and caring person! Dave59, thank you for reminding us to count our blessings. It does help put our perceived difficulties in perspective. Glad you're feeling 30 years old again! Spareribs, that was an exciting run! I'm not as fast as you so I would have gotten wet. I went on a four mile trail run last night on the way home from work. I only had an hour since it was my turn to cook dinner last night, so I picked a shorter trail. I thought four miles in an hour would be easy. Well, the trail went straight up (800 ft) in the first mile, then gently downhill (-250 ft) for the second mile. Then back the same way, with the steep part being too steep to run down in many places. It took an hour and five minutes! Hard work, but the wildflowers were beautiful. The second mile downhill is through an aspen meadow which is full of wild iris right now. I felt like I was floating along. This trail is also particularly beautiful in the fall when the aspens turn color. Good stuff. Trail running is hard but such a wonderful change from running through the neighborhood. And I have to think that despite the 16 mm pace I was getting a good workout.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Tim, thanks. I really appreciate that. And I did get out for a run at lunchtime yesterday (with all the persuasion here and elsewhere, how could I not?) and had a good time. It got me to search out the showers here in my building (not where I thought they were) so I'm going to take advantage of that more often. I also ran another hilly 5k at home before we made dinner which worked out fine. I brought my run stuff to work today to do it again. Figured the only way to make it all work (since our evenings are so packed and full of stuff) is to run at lunchtime or early a.m. Since I'm not an early morning person... that narrows it down a bit. Vista, thanks for the reminder to eat that elephant one bite at a time. I get overwhelmed with the enormity of some tasks and forget to do that. And like your friend, once you get going it seems easier to take the next step. Mariposai, have a wonderful time! You are such an inspiration to so many, I'm glad to see you get a break sometimes, too! (say hi to P for me!) Holly, glad you're taking it easy... no deadlifts for awhile either, ok? 'Ribs, those sorts of runs really get you going. Figure it plays into the "only when chased" attitude... It's amazing what you can do when you need to. Glad you made it back safe and sound. (and boy, Tet sure gave you an earful last night, no?) Another gorgeous day here, the Alaska Range is absolutely stunning this morning. Looking forward to my mid-day break already!
              vista, another nice start. It was appropriate with what seems like an unusual number of us injured, healing, or dealing with other life problems. evan, belated anniversary greetings. I'm glad to hear your husband is recovering well but not glad to hear you are feeling overwhelmed. I'm glad you feel free to let us know about your situation and I hope things improve quickly. Holly, I feel your pain with the hamstring. The way it came on rather suddenly during speedwork makes me especially nervous. I'm glad to see you took today off and plan on taking it a bit easy to let it heal. dg, a bunch of us need to adopt your "wise and mature" decision making more often. The trouble is my mind and the rest of my makeup aren't always in agreement. dromedary, I can't decide whether to give you sympathy or to laugh along with you. Dave, I'm glad to hear the massage seems to have helped and that you have some bright spots in your life. Nice long runs for WRFB, perch, Holly (with injury producing speedwork, so the nice doesn't apply to your run), TheJogger, biketm, and Peter. Good job on the speedwork for BC and breger. This morning, it was in the mid to high 60s with a light breeze and a bit humid. The first thing that I noticed as I went out the door was that my GPS was dead. It's probably at least 5-6 years old so maybe a new one is in order. I've become so addicted to running with it that I don't know how to cope if I can't check my distance and time whenever I feel like it. My plan was 5 or 6 miles, but my hamstring was a little more noticeable than my last run. Just before I went out, I had read yesterday's thread with dg's "wise and mature" decision and the thread Holly started about when to run and when to back off. Several posts there, especially, Sarge's (I tend to make schedules somewhat sacred) were fresh in my mind. I convinced myself to quit after approximately 3 miles in a few seconds under half an hour. My immediate feelings were that I had done the right thing. A little later, I was feeling frustrated and bummed out that I had wimped and let myself down. Now I'm back to thinking I did the right thing. Why can't it be simple? A good day and good runs for all. TomS
              evanflein

My immediate feelings were that I had done the right thing. A little later, I was feeling frustrated and bummed out that I had wimped and let myself down. Now I'm back to thinking I did the right thing. Why can't it be simple?
                I do the same thing. We are not only our own worst critics, but the mind games we play on ourselves can be truly cruel. Glad you stopped when you did.
                  Tom and Holly: Be careful with those hammies! You don't want to be where I've been for the last few months. I'm glad that I've at least had bicycling to throw myself into, which keeps my mind off the running that I'm not doing (at least most of the time). My worst mind trick is to have something hurting and be able to convince myself that I don't feel anything. Really dumb and a good way to make a bad situation worse. Now all you able-bodied Boomers (if there are any), get out there and run! Big grin

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

catch up from yesterday... Hi evanflein, glad we had our laughs yesterday. I read your post about your shoes and could relate to it...I just went back to my Nimbus 9s too. I was wearing a Cumulus 10 for the past 2 weeks, but it feels like a Nimbus 9 but without the cushioning...it definitely does NOT feel like a Cumulus 9 at all. I wanted to buy some more of those, but the only ones left anywhere are these icky slime green ones. I won't wear that color because they are CURSED (I had 2 ankle sprains in that color version). Black eye Holly, I'm glad you found a running skirt that you like. You're lucky! Maybe I should keep trying because I only tried two: One is a Brooks and the "boyshort" feels like a thong. The other one is from skirt goddess and it has a rather heavy scratchy fabric. Plus it makes me feel like I got way more booty than I should have (Break out the platform shoes and fishnets!) dg, that was a close call you had...you're right, giving someone the bird will make you feel even more hostile than before...it's better to just run the legs and not the mouth. CNYrunner, you're right, I was lucky the idiot high school kid didn't come back for me. This is L.A. - I could have been shot! I just dislike having to back down from anyone. Therefore, I am running someplace else (off the streets). DickyG, hope you get well soon! About that movie with Billy Crystal, LOL! I'm really from upstate NY (near where Spareribs grew up). I learned to swim in a lake where the gangsters dumped bodies Tongue. Running 4 miles today after work...not sure where yet but someplace without SUVs and half nekkid people. The beach was infested yesterday with people who should have left their clothes on Shocked Spandex is a privilege, not a right.
                    evanflein

Spandex is a privilege, not a right.
                      OMG, isn't that the truth! We were in Waikiki to meet the team for the official tournament photo, and ended up wandering around in an area where, let's just say there was a lot of speedos and spandex, but very few women... Shocked My boys were horrified... and when we were talking later about what beach to go to for waves or whatever we were looking for that day, the boys would say "just not Waikiki, ok??" I have a running skirt by Nike that I just love. Wore it at Boston and my recent 10k. Sort of found it by accident on a sale rounder at Nordstrom while looking for shorts... I love it and it was half price!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

That Spandex line is a great one!! Okay, so Bernie gets picked up today and the new owner says that he will not be hunting with him, but he and his wife are runners!! Wife has done Boston 3 times - and he's into doing Ironman stuff. So Bernie will be like his Uncle Brinkley!! I'm so tickled . . . . he'll have a great life and next year they may be back to buy another one so he has company. Bye Bernie:

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

TammyinGP

YAY Bernie goes to his new running home! That's great! Erika - I'm sorry you've been feeling so overwhelmed lately and especially sad that you don't seem to be getting the understanding and help you need at home right now. I hope you find that even keel in life soon - or at least feel like you have some control over things, instead of it having control over you . . . My runnings been "meh" lately. Nothing to report - therefore, I haven't really been reporting much. Still keeping up on my log and as you can see, it's been mostly short runs. I have a 5K on Saturday - which won't be fast. I just haven't had the speed in my legs lately. Maybe I should try incorporating in this . . . what do you call it . . . speedwork training that I hear some of you talking about? . . . I wonder if that would help? Confused

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

... no deadlifts for awhile either, ok?
                            Bizarre – not 30 seconds before I read this I was thinking, “well, better give up the dead lifts for a while,” and trying to think of another, less stressful, exercise that could take its place. Spareribs – was that a SBUH pace? Dromedary – I have 2 running skirts and like them both. One is a Nike, the same one Erika has, with a short underneath – this one is slightly heavier material and I wear it in cooler temps (47-55). The other is a Triks Marathon Girl, with a spankee underneath – this one is lighter than air material, good for the hottest temps. As a matter of fact, my favorite running shirt is by the same company – super light, stretchy tech material – here’s what it looks like http://www.skirtsportsoutlet.com/products/TRIKStee-07.cfm (not trying to sell them just telling you I love it – super comfy) Mary – sniff, sniff, bye Bernie…how often do you have a litter to sell?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Very tired today so I headed for the treadmill to avoid the H&H, 4 miles easy at 9:55 pace. Roy nice run with the Mrs. Smile Joey I've been trying to clean out the basement one box at a time for several weeks, almost done. Surprised It's amazing what you can accumulate after 15 years in the same house. Tim that's a great workout, good job. Ribs way to beat the storm, maybe that's what I need to do Wink Wildchild I think trails like that were made for hiking. 800 ft. up in one mile Shocked I guess you were getting a good workout! TomS I hope I helped...

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Tried on a running skirt - it looked like two stuffed sausages falling out of their casing! Not a pretty sight on a short woman with big legs... I was going to buy some new Nimbus X this week but I'm troubled by the response from people who are wearing them. What's different about these that makes them not as good as the IX's? I need to know so I can buy the last of the IX's in stock before they're gone! Hotter than Haites here this afternoon - just the way I like it. Big grin Jeanne