Masters Running

Thursday January 7 Master Runs, Workouts, and whatever ... (Read 485 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Holly, I'll be thinking of you!  My sister had the same horrified reaction when her daughter got lice a few years ago.  No fun!!

I could not stand to run on the tiny Y track today, so I said screw the wind and ran on a nearby, ice-free street.  I decided to run only half a mile in one direction, and then turn around.  I did more than 5 loops that way, for a total of 5.6 miles.  Kind of boring, but I hate running into the wind for long stretches.  I've run over 27 miles in the past 7 days.  It's about time!!

Texas plays Alabama for the NCAA football championship tonight! DS14 flew to California yesterday - he gets to go to the game with his cousin and my parents.  Lucky kid!  He's never been to CA, and never seen any kind of football game in person before!  He's on cloud nine.  He called while ago to say he'd just met the President of the U. of Texas.  I will be a nervous wreck tonight IF I can even stand to watch the game.  Alabama is favored, and my dad will be so upset if Texas loses (he's head of the Men's Intercollegiate Athletics Council at Texas).

it is downright balmy around these parts isn't it Leslie?? I went out for a 4 mile run on my lunch break, in shorts even! loving it!

I wore  turtleneck to work and am sorely regretting it.  You guys expecting to get any of this rain?  Not sure it's coming t us from the north or south.  We should can use it, though, so I'm not gonna complain.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Manchild

Bill, I sometimes feel as though I have a hitch or gait to my running cant and it seems to come and go as well...  Holly, I remember my daughter getting sent home as a precaution with lice, it's really no big deal...  As my wife tells me all the time, don't sweat the small stuff!  Your daughter is healthy, alive and has a great Mom and Dad which some kids unfortunately do not.

Well, today was the first time ever, as I am saying this I am recalling once or twice on a beach, that I ran barefoot.  I've been reading Born To Run and decided to try it...on the treadmill...it was Cool!!!  So, I'm gonna give it a go now and then...To hell with the shoe companies!!!;D

Chris

Holy Moley Tramps....my 5k intervals are never a mile long....usually half that. If you're looking to improve leg turnover you could probably get away with an 8 x 800 or a 6 x 1200 set. Six miles at 5k pace? Ugh. WWRD? (What would Ribs do?)

Warmed up slightly...got to run outside. 7.62 in 1:08, lovin' the shorts.

Walt

TammyinGP

leslie, I don't think we are supposed to get much rain. Forecast this a.m. said perhaps some light off and on rain over the next couple days but we should stay mild and overcast with no significant rain until most likely late next week.

which means, we'll have a deluge of rain  in a day or so.

Tammy

40 minutes on the elliptical today. I hate that machine! I am hoping that its just a learning curve. My effort seems much higher than my distance covered. Hopefully within a few more weeks I can wean myself off that and back on the road more.

Our cat loves fruit especially strawberries but necterines are a close second.

I better get some sleep with all the snow coming down out there I am sure I will be called into work at midnight to plow. On the other hand there is a good football game on tonight I don't want to miss. By the way did anyone catch the Central Michigan and Texas Tech game last night? What a great game with a double overtime blocked field goal . That game kept me up late last night too. Oh well I can sleep this weekend.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

evanflein

Charleygross/Chris, let me know how that works out for you. I would have a hard time running barefoot with my weird foot, but thought I might give it a try... slowly on the TM to see how it works. How far/long did you go?

Who says cats don't love sweets? Our old cats used to love ice cream. When I was a kid we had one that loved cantaloupe. Our current cat just eats kibble. Doesn't even eat cat treats. He is an odd one.

Hey Larry, yeah that elliptical is a necessary evil, IMO. And I'm not entirely convinced it's good for my foot because it's sometimes a little achey when I get off it. But it's supposed to be a good alternative to running and non-impact, so... hang in there. I'm trying to mix it up with pool running and at the gym by doing weights (more than I have in the past 2 years probably) and I'm getting into the rowing and will also add bike to the mix. Anything to try to keep sane when I can't run.

And on that note... 20 minutes on the rower (4,250 meters) and 20 minutes of upper body weights at lunchtime...

Chris Central Michigan beat Troy (Alabama) & yes it was a great game.

Teresa DS is very lucky to go to game.  My DD is a Texas fan & she flew to Dallas today to visit a friend who's having a  party.

She had planned on visiting anyway.  This Buckeye says Hook'em Horns  

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tramps.. Walt made a good point. 6x1 at 5K?  Might that mean you have a 10K at 5K pace brewing?  and a 5K at what?... blazing fast!  10 x 800 is the Yasso formula where you could do then about 3:25 or faster.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Tramps

Wait, wait, wait!  It's not as crazy as it sounds.  I think you're over-reacting to the "5K" reference.

My 5K PR is 6:50 pace.

I aimed for 7:00's

My actual times varied from 6:57 to 7:12. (Not really fading out, more because of different inclines, etc.) 

And this was a full 1/4 mile untimed slow jog (turned walk later on) interval--so vritually full recovery.

I did a 4-mile tempo @ 7:17 on Tuesday, so I don't think this was such a huge leap. 

I got the idea from a fellow running club member recently who mentioned always running 6x1's @ 110% of MP

(for a 7:50 MP, 110% is just about 7:03)  There was beer involved, however.

Or am I missing something?   (Which wouldn't be the first time.)

Be safe. Be kind.

dg.

Chris, I'm reading that too...    I already run in Nike Frees, but am thinking about trying five fingers, esp. since I don't like the new version of the Frees.      have you made the chia seed thing yet?   I already had some before reading this,  I keep meaning to try it.

Erika, I'll be interested to hear how barefoot running works for you.  It's trial & error with my feet too.   Do you go barefoot much when you're not running?  

Guilty, Tramps. Now I realize that I was dangerously close to starting an(other) interval discussion.

Whew!

Glad that's over.

I thought that your 5k PR was better than 7 m/m...The 110% rule might be something worth exploring.....look how close it is to the Yasso 800 pace mentioned by Perch.

Now to go try to find that UT game Teresa mentioned.

Walt

Ya Sarge my mistake that was Texas Tech that beat  Michigan State.  So many bowl games I guess I'm having trouble keeping them straight.

Erika, I agree I think my heal still comes up on the elliptical which does stretch the foot some but still no impact I guess. I am not sure what to do exactly. I know everything says 6 weeks but I am hoping by my taking 2 full weeks off right after it happened that I can ease back in over the next 2 weeks and get started on my marathon training on time. I am already thinking of changing my training program to an easier schedule maybe the Higdon intermediate again. No speed work and two days a week off running. . Maybe I am wrong but  at this point I have to try.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Who says cats don't love sweets? Our old cats used to love ice cream. When I was a kid we had one that loved cantaloupe. Our current cat just eats kibble. Doesn't even eat cat treats. He is an odd one.

OMG!  When we were kids, we would scoop out the seeds from half a cantalope and fill it with ice cream.  Our cat would go crazy eating both.

My first cat as an adult would eat anything, including the onions on pizza.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

It has "warmed up" to 31º as I write this!  So I say we add fattozig to the hit list!  I already have one out on BCMorant I figure we can get a discount on the second! 

P.S.  I like sweets does that count? 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/