Masters Running

Thursday 5/25 Is Jay Back Yet??? (Read 30 times)

Good morning good people! Just to get us started..... And the post I chose to comment on is Tet's. Always enjoy reading your post each day, though I have to admit some times I have to go back and read it more than once!

5.5 miles this morning in overcast, cool, windy conditions. But hey - at least it wasn't raining!

Here's your Joe Kelly Runner's Rule for the day:  "Never confuse the Ben-Gay tube with the toothpaste tube"  (I ain't making these up people)

Have a great Thursday everyone!

2.1 miles before an early meeting (I try to avoid those, but sometimes I can't......)

Thanks for keeping us going, Jlynne!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Thanks for the start, Jlynne (Jay-Lynne -- get it?).

I'm getting really tired of this cold, drizzly, carpy weather, but I'd have trouble getting out anyway since we've still got some workers here finishing up the remodeling work.

And here's an interesting article that talks about a condition that I have, although I never knew I shared it with Venus de Milo! It's caused me some grief as a runner since I have to be extra careful about getting shoes with sufficient toe room. Who else has this "Morton's Toe" condition (second toe longer than your big toe)?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tramps

Dave--I've probably mentioned before that when we lived in Richmond, we were about 1.5 miles from the race track.  The noise was so loud that on race nights we could watch the race on TV open the windows and get what we called the "poor man's surround sound."  They're having a tough time filling seats these days, though.  That's why they keep introducing these weird rules changes to try to generate interest.

And, yeah, hockey's definitely not just a winter sport.  We played street hockey year round, too. TriBee grew up in Atlanta in the 70s and her family used to plan their summer vacations around two weeks in Michigan every August where the kids--one boy, two girls--when to hockey school.  Not a lot of girls from Georgia playing hockey in those days.

My week's messed up so today unexpectedly became the medium-long day.  13 miles, starting with a little rain but drying out quickly.

Be safe. Be kind.

Love the Joe Kelly quote. 

Roch - My buddy, Karen, has the toe issue.  She finally had her toenail permanently remove (can't remember which foot) because it caused so much issue when she ran.

Hope Jay's having fun. As I tell the secretaries I work with - I appreciate you and your hard work all the time, but when you're gone and I have to cover, I really appreciate what you do.

About an hour of core/ST this a.m.  Have started to incorporate leg ST again - oh my . . .

My nephew and his girlfriend are coming tomorrow to visit for the weekend.  He says this girl's important to him. . . . should we give her a baptism by fire???   But then again, she's met my brother and hasn't running screaming, so may this one's it. 

Have a good one, friends ~~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Roch - that article made me take my sock off and look at my toes....While my second toe is not actually longer than my big toe, it appears to be just about the same length, if I can get them to straighten.

No run for me today, swimming instead - 46 times across the pool (1150 yards) and about 15 minutes of weights and core.

Taking off work early to get a bone density scan, which I have never had.  I have these visions of the doctor with a big power drill, drilling a hole in a bone, but I hear it's actually a painless scan.  Given that I am a small woman who's mother had osteoporosis, this puts me in a higher risk category for it.  Also, with our insurance changes coming in July, I am trying to get everything out of the way that I need before the prices go up.

Happy Thursday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

She finally had her toenail permanently remove (can't remember which foot) because it caused so much issue when she ran.

I first read this as "she finally had her TOE permanently removed" and I thought, "That is some running dedication!"

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly-  nothing is easier than the bone density scan.   You don't even get undressed.  Takes about 5 or 10 minutes total.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

I know some of you work with families making end-of-life decisions, etc. Interesting story on an assisted suicide study that finds quality of life, rather than pain, is what leads some to inquire about assisted suicide. (Even briefly mentions a former marathoner.) And an interesting group I'd not heard of before, Compassion and Choices, mentioned in the comments.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

I took the morning off for an eye exam, trip to the gym, and a stop at the mall (to get a Books-a-Million gift certificate for a birthday party tomorrow.)

Now at work for the afternoon.  Staff meeting starting now.  Waiting to see how they spin last week's layoffs, just weeks after stating that they were done with the layoffs.  Some of them are my fault I guess because I have been working to enhance our automation of processes and have raised our automation percent significantly over the past half year.  We need less people manually processing claims, and then less managers of the processors.  But some long timers were let go and it sucks the air out of the people still left.

I don't mind a little baseball, golf, and NASCAR.  Soccer is ok too although I can never figure out all the European leagues and tournaments.  Any college level (and lower) sport is fun to watch.  My hockey defense was meant to be read in a humorous tone.  It is my favorite sport to watch though (at any level).

Mike E

MM #5615

My hockey defense was meant to be read in a humorous tone.  It is my favorite sport to watch though (at any level).

I read everything you write in a humorous tone.

Tramps

Lighten up on the negative hockey talk.  

Humorous?  I thought that smiley face was menacing.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

Humorous?  I thought that smiley face was menacing. 

That is the "guy smoking a cigar" smiley.

Thanks for the start, Jlynne (Jay-Lynne -- get it?).

...ark, ark,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Runner Jokes

well,

I'm back too

so far 3-PoolRuns for the week

========

non-operative leg

(hence known as NOL)

felt like

what I imagine a ''kabob'' would feel like in a shish-kabob

........right down the center of the leg>>>>>>>luckily the Water Work-Outs have fixed it (I hope)

........good running to the rest of ya..................NAP TIME

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Holly-  nothing is easier than the bone density scan.   You don't even get undressed.

Well, that's unfortunate.  Not sure I'm so excited about getting a bone scan now.

The Hub thinks soccer is the death of American baseball.  At least's been his go-to comment for years . . . and years . . . and year.

Tramps - Interesting article, as are the comments to the article.  The right to die issue can be very polarizing, but I have always been a strong proponent of it.  When I was in high school some 30+ years ago, I had to debate the pro side of the issue.  I lost the debate (even though I was fully prepared and my opponent basically only said it's wrong), but between what I was able to research at the time and watching what my mom went through for years with very crippling rheumatoid arthritis, I have always felt people should be able to say when enough is enough.  And despite what many people may think, there are many checks and balances a person has to go through before their physician will prescribe the final medication. And then at least in California, the individual has to be able to take the medicine himself or herself.

What I have always marveled at is my mom never considered suicide an option - whether assisted or otherwise.  She was a quantity over quality of life person.  I often wonder where I would be if I were in her shoes.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance