Masters Running

Happy Sunday Runs - Workouts - and Resting (Read 565 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning everyone...

I didn't mean to have Holly or anyone worried about me at our 50K, I just had many unfortunate issues that I had to deal with.......first was a potty issue at mile 6. Funny because I had just told Holly that I had never had to use the restroom during a race before..............minutes later I was hittin' the brush ....actually some other runners told me there were restrooms right up the road and I made it.

Funny too somewhere on the first 8 mile loop, running in some very slick and deep mud.....I said something to Holly like - wouldn't suck to fall down in this stuff.............about 15 seconds later I did on my back 

Too much to say, and I will write up a race report. But I did see Holly on the 4th loop and I was really hustling so she would not have to wait long, but there was a guy that fell and hit his head, and I waited with him till a gal came along with a cell phone...that prolly cost me 30 minutes there.

All in all, I did indeed have a fun time, and I actually felt the best during the last loop (8 miles) and my last 3 miles were the fastest miles of the day. And ouch....I literally had about a 20 mile side stitch that just wouldn't go away, but finally did 1/2 way through the last lap. I also felt like I tore my left arch on a tree root, so I couldn't push off my left foot for much of the race.....but I adapted the best I could with my right foot (doesn't feel too bad this morning)

Sooooo happy that Tammy had a HUGE PR Marathon....I talked to her on the phone, and She sounded great and very excited.....good for her. Also congrats to Holly too, for a good finishing time on a very hot day, and a very muddy course....she is a derminined and talented runner....and we all know how pretty the Gal is   

Well, I am going out for a short run....I feel pretty good

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

...tim//......glad you survived the Mud and the PortAPotties......

.......for a while

it  appeared you had Vanished into The Bermuda Triangle....

and were destined to become an Urban Legend.

========

,,but I digress.....

..............80s this morning.......threat of a storm, had the trails to myself.........ya gotta love it.

.......30min 4/1.....

.could have gone longer,

and WILL a week from now.

the work-out is beginning to feel more normal,

after the first two sets it's pretty much like a normal run.

got done,

dropped the cane for a cooldown 1/4.......

the ArthritisActionPlan calls for Bracing, and Splinting during a flare up

(what they leave out is there's ALWAYS a flare up)

so

had the right leg  braced with small (calf) and medium (knee) knee-pads, hip flexor wrap

and kept it warm.......which REALLY helps

...hey,

if you're gonna look like a Dork, look like a Grimly Determined Dork....

.........................good running to the rest of ya..............Enjoy the Gift........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

So happy to see you are okay Tim!   Anxiously awaiting the report!

Good going Tammy & Holly!   

Tom - I bet you looked like a very cute dork! 

Out for 4 this morning after a cold front went through.   Skies looked threatening, but I made it home without getting wet .....from rain that is.   Sweat on the other hand .....

10:26 avg. pace today.

Happy Sunday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Renee the dog

Hi folks -- disappeared for a couple days with a quick, sudden debilitating sinus infection, which I've mostly cured by getting in the ocean and breathing it. (for real)  And of course, while sick, I dream up new goals for myself...so now I'm headlong into planning a "whole new me" by the end of the summer, mostly due to weight loss.    I get a bit delusional while sick, but I'm serious about the weight loss part.

Today I did do 7.5 miles after skipping 2 days of running.  Hot, humid, not a breath of air.  If I had waited until 9 a.m., it would have been a delight!  Temp stabilized, humidity dropped and the air really kicked up.  But, what a good acclimation run for the rest of the summer!

I'm hoping to do another 1-2 mi tonight with Renee.

Enjoy the gift folks!

Looking forward to some race reports!!!!!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Tim, way to survive the course & conditions.  Glad that you're feeling good today. 

Tom have you tried kinesio tape?  I think it helps but the jury is still out. 

Nono that's a great idea with the salt water. 

Strange weather this morning .  Running club co-sponsored with Weight Watchers a  5k walk this morning.

Club members ran 8.5 miles.  75 at start and 69 when finished.  storms 10 miles North and South but dry at the event.

8.5 miles in 1:25:10.    

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tim-- glad you made it ok!  Nice of you to help that guy!

Hopeful... cold front? send it here pleeze

2 mile walk with Tory and Sadie in 27:45

3.2 miles in 30:00 (9:20 pace).  This was (3 min walk+ 7 min run)x 3  Walks 13's, runs 8:15

74°, Dew pont 72° humdity 91%

Pool running is way better in this heat (100° heat index at noon so far today!)!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mariposai

What an exciting weekend in RAland.

A twocat posting makes us all smile. Look at mrs. twocat running 10 miles just like that. I hope the irish bread turn out good today.

Congrats to the Newport racers! It seems like this was a PR heaven for our folks racing there.

Wannaberunner, you are such a speedster...a 21 minute 5k is a speedy finish in my books.

Shadowrunner- welcome to RAland, please tell us more about yourself.

SueT48, I sure hope you are OK today. While I enjoy gardening, I sort of detest lawn-mowing 

Enkie- anyone who run in heat/sun/humidity is not a wuss (don't listen to towocat  

Erika- magnificent accidental 21 miler yesterday. I too enjoy stopping to read historical signs during my out of town runs.

Holly, great ultra yesterday!

Hallar- 3 miles in 82 degrees is a big deal!!!

Busy weekend in posieland. Yesterday: I ran 15 miles, walked 3 miles with DH then drove to Spokane for one of my "other-son's" wedding. Drove back late last night, or early this morning, I should say. Today: I ran up to the abandoned orchard, picked a bunch of wild asparagus and ran back home. 5 miles total. First 40 mile week in over a month.

Now off to church to help decorate for son's Baccalaureate...and now let the fun of graduation activities begin. 

I can't wait to read the race reports!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

5 miles inbetween  storms this morning 9:15 pace.

Mary,

Anything on your up coming race list? Just trying to figure out what I will start training for. Probably the Crim 10 mile in August but I better wait and see how my recovery goes. So far so good.

Tomwhite,

Who cares what ya look like. You are still "gitten er done" Most people would just use it as an excuse.

Good runs to all,

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Feels like it should still be morning after a very late start today.  Thunderstorms in the area so another night on the couch comforting Max the dog.  Strangely enough, he is looking a lot more rested than me at the moment.

9.05 miles in 1:35 for more new records in both distance and time on my feet.  I did have to walk about 2/3 of the last mile or so when my knee started complaining a little.  the last two weeks have seen a disruption of my X-T and some lower miles and I think that had a lot to do with the soreness.  That and standing around for 6 hours yesterday at our company's yard sale.  (For all I sold I should have taken it all to Goodwill first AND given them $10 that I spent on gas and I would have come out ahead.  )  It didn't seem to hurt much after I stopped, so I'm considering that a good thing.

It started raining just as i went out the door just before 9 and i was very happy to see it.  just a tad over 70 for the warmest of the year, too.  it had just about stopped when I finished, but I felt very comfortable the whole way.  Even managed to miss most of the puddles.

I have a question for all you experts out there--How important is it to take any nutrition during a Half?  I know I most likely didn't need it for my 9 today, but I'm getting into unknown territory for me now and I'm thinking that 13.1 will need at least a little assist.  So today I took a handful of Swedish fish with me (only chewy candy stuff around the house) and had 3 or 4 at 3 and 6 miles along with some water.  my walking had nothing to do with lack of energy and I was even able to get into the 8's for the last 1/4 mile.  I'm thinking I probably might need something with a little salt in it as end of June, even in Maine could likely be warmer than today.  I took 16oz of water with me and drank most of that and still lost 3 lbs.

Any info will be eagerly assimilated.

great races for a bunch of folks yesterday.  Tim and Holly finishing their ultra (with Timmy NOT down the well), PR for Tammy, 102 oysters for Tet ?!?  And oh yeah, an accidental 21 for Erika.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

stumpy... If the half is in warm weather you need to stay hydrated.  I wouldn't take any fuel for a half. Plenty of gycogen is stored for that distance. 

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

....Tom have you tried kinesio tape?  I think it helps but the jury is still out. 

..at this point Sarge

I'll try DeepFried Beets//........what is it and WHERE do I get some??

thanks.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

if you're gonna look like a Dork, look like a Grimly Determined Dork....

Words to live by.........

Tom - I got Kinesio tape at Amazon.com for $10.92 per roll.  It's a stretchy fabric tape reminiscent of flexible fabric bandaids.  I use it to wrap my toes to help with blisters, but physical therepists use it for wrapping various body parts.

Kevin - I don't use fuel on HMs, only gatorade on the course, and oatmeal a couple hours before.

3 slow and gentle miles for me (11:45) on the TM.  Legs are tired and slightly achy, but nothing in particular hurts - life is good.  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Stumpy, though some say that you don't "need" to take in additional nutrition during a HM, I encourage it and do it myself. I think that I take 3 gels along with me....hmmm. Maybe 2. I get REALLY cranky if i'm hungry, and I'd rather not throw that into the HM salad-shooter of pains.

For training MLR's and longer, I usually take Swedish Fish or Gummi Bears....the equivalent of 150-200 calories worth, since gels are a little pricey for day-to-day use.

Glad you survived the 50k, Tim.

7.65 wet miles this AM, legs still a little heavy.

Walt

dg.

Grimly Determined Dork.   I love it.   tw, did you get your lawn mowed?   would you like to finish mine?   I hope your flare up treatment worked....  ok, forget my lawn. 

Sue, how's your foot?   I can't mow lawn either!  I don't mind it, but I tried yesterday & it's still on the forbidden list.  Looks funny half done.   

Timmy I'm glad you're not in the well!

Perch it is so good to see you!  (wow that sounds hot.)

& Twokitty. 

& Tramps (there was a recent sighting).

Nono are you using a plan this time?   (training, I mean).    whole new you... we like the old existing you, but good luck.  me too. (for the millionth time) ;-). 

Nancy nice lr & nice long week! 

Kevin, you too!

congrats to Holly & Tim & Tammy & Econo!

7.25 miles this morning, on a flooded river route.  it was fun, I channeled my inner erika & my inner Leslie.   & my inner Holly when it got buggy.    Everyone was cooperating... "you can cross this way, not that way".  "tree's down"   "tree's moved"   "cool!  tell the guys with the baby jogger!".   things like that.  10:03 average pace, but that didn't count stops.  Went for easy, which I don't really have yet, but ahr was 163, which is a little better.

mta,  Holly, I can't believe you ran today.

Walt, I've read your RR several times... I just froze at the reply spot, I do that on RR's sometimes.  what an absolutely amazing job. 

Happy to see everyone seems to be doing okay. I have started doing 100meter runs and 100 meter walks, maybe for 15 minutes with no pain but tiredness.

Still injursed but annular tear is much better but nont 100% healed. I have some pretty serious muscle imbalances in my lower back, hip pelvic area that I have a physiotherapist helping me on. She runs as part of my running speed group (which I have continued to coach all winter and spring) Most of my runners have had amazing PR's at their goal races, feel proud of that.

I am seeing a new chiro this Thursday to adjust hip and pelvic issues as my body is definetely out of whack still. It's been a long haul but I am seeing a bit of light now. Hopefully I can do a race in the fall and start training for track and field too.

Girls are very healthy and I am on my 1 years anniversary with my lady friend. Might move shortly though due a great opportunity in Toronto...Thinking a lot this week. Big decisions.

Take care everyone and I will try to update you every month or so. I do lurk a bit.

Tall

Recent Best times: None recently