Masters Running

Jan. 9 Master Runs - and happy Gator Nation Celebrations! (Read 532 times)

#artbydmcbride

Please make it just a short break lyndenrunner! We like hearing from you. Blush I ran with the Team Runner's High last night. I love watching them run..they are all so fast and effortless. 6.2 miles along the marine stadium, a perfect clear crisp evening, and no land sharks about.

Runners run

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Geez--I hate be the 2nd one in three posts to say I won't be posting as much. Mine is not lack of interest on my part, however. I'm being sidelined by a heart problem, although not nearly of the seriousness as that of Spareribs and DanL. My atrial fibrillation (that has been under control with meds) decided it was lonely and added atrial flutter. This is not in control and has been rather steady for the past few days. needless to say--no running. I will still read and drop in form time to time. If you're really curious (or bored) I put a few more details on the newbies thread. Good luck to Erika (or Enke--whoever is running the Disney Wink ) One of my friends from work is going down today to run it with his wife. Not quite your temperature differential, only in the teens in NH. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Enkephalin wrote:
        Most photos looked like an embarrassing freeze frame of the runner squatting on one leg, grimacing.
        Enke – that’s an awesome photo! Your feet aren’t just off the ground, they’re WAY off the ground. And you look so tall and slim and fresh – definitely looking too good to be in the middle of a race. Tammy – I love your new avatar – you look great! Tramps – you DO look tall in that photo..Smile Timbo – I do NOT think you’re crazy...Smile Gordon and Stumpy – we’ll miss you. Stumpy, I will go over to the newbies thread and check out the details. Peter – I have noticed that the cold sucks the battery power out of my MP3 player sooner than it should. To remedy that, instead of tucking it into my jacket pocket, I put it in a cellphone case clipped to the inside of the back of the waistband on my pants. My body heat seems to keep it warm enough there to keep that from happening. 6.25 easy-paced (ave 10:33) miles for me today on legs that felt pretty good, considering yesterday’s intervals. I’m scheduled to do 18 miles for my LR this weekend, but the weather doesn’t look good for either day – freezing rain tonight, and tomorrow is calling for snow on top of the ice layer. Since I have to start out early to get my run in before our family activities (5:30 am if Saturday and 4:30 am if Sunday), it’s dark for at least half of my run, and I don’t relish slippery footing in the dark. Maybe it’s time to re-think that headlamp issue.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

{{Lyndenrunner}} I'll still stalk you elsewhere then. . . Tongue Thanks HollyWink ((Stumpy)) keep us updated on what is going on if you are able. Missing Batman and DickyG . . . . I'll go to the gym again for a quick lunchtime run. Tomorrow,I'm getting together with my friend Laura for a run. She just bought herself a Garmin, so I'm looking forward to a longer run that I won't have to go home and map out afterwards! And to instantly know my pace will be sweet too. . . still waiting for the Garmin 305 to go on sale at amazon and then I'll snag it up. I always said I wouldn't do a garmin - I didn't want to become OCD about my running Roll eyes - but the more I think about it, the more I think I'll like the idea of knowing pace, HR, distance, etc.

Tammy

Good morning everyone. Nice to see a post from Mr. Timbo - we miss you, friend! Also, healing vibes to Stumpy and Gordon. Please, keep posting and let us know how you're doing. It was a rest day for me today, so I volunteered for a 4 hour shift at one of the homeless shelters here in town. The limit is 62 people, but the priest in charge of the facility will not turn people away. It was packed when I got there at 6:00 AM this morning. I don't know how they made room for everyone. It never seizes to amaze me the number of young people that are homeless. Some looked like they were coming off of something, others just looked - lost. Count your blessings, everyone, and give your kids a big hug when you see them tonight. Have a great day, everyone. ETA Peter - my IPod acts up in cold weather also - even in temps as high as 30F
            evanflein

Gordon and Kevin, I hope you don't stay away long... GL with the heart thing, Kevin, and it is me running Disney on Sunday. I'm looking forward to meeting Byll, too. We tried when he was in Alaska a couple years ago and couldn't make it work. No getting out of it this time!! Ok, my run! Feels so good to report a good run... outdoors with hardly any clothes on! (I'm easily impressed) 6.1 miles, 49:35, 8:08 avg pace. Get this... I was trying to run 8:20 to 8:27 by feel. It's so flippin' flat here! No inclines at all... just miles of sidewalk on the flat. Amazing. Had a slight breeze in my face on the way out, to my back on the return. Ran the first quarter mile or so with DH at his 9:30 pace, then took off. 8:27, 8:13, 8:08, 7:54, 7:59, 8:07 (trying to slow down here), 7:52 last .1 mile to catch DH and walk with him. Temp was about 62F, sun felt marvelous, I got a little sweaty but not much but felt a little "salty" when I got back in the car. I was looking at the pace groups at the expo yesterday, and wasn't sure I'd be able to keep with the 3:40 group at 8:27 pace. I wanted to see what it felt like for a few miles. I only hit it once, mile 1 when I was warming up. So... maybe I can run that pace with the leader keeping me in check?
                Gordon, we will miss you. I hope you stop in now and again to let us know how things are going. Kevin, I'm sorry to hear about the heart issue. I too will stop in over at the Newbies thread to check it out. Tim, interesting news about the boots. It sounds like they are helping so that is a good thing. I don't know much about AT problems, but it may be that you will always need to be careful of the AT or risk it flaring up. You are actually going to be running in these boots? That sounds odd - are they running friendly? Bob, great wave run yesterday. I hope mine goes as well on Sunday. I did not have an issues with my Shuffle this morning, though it was about 30F when I ran. Today's run was a perfect PBJ Special. 8 miles in 1:00:00 exactly. When I hit my watch and looked down, I laughed out loud! Not even one one hundredth off. I probably should not have run this pace because it's non-man's land but what the heck, I felt pretty good and it was a nice day. I ran the last two miles in 7:15ish so at least those were close to current MP. Good luck Erika and all others running Disney!

Once a runner . . .

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim, interesting news about the boots. It sounds like they are helping so that is a good thing. I don't know much about AT problems, but it may be that you will always need to be careful of the AT or risk it flaring up. You are actually going to be running in these boots? That sounds odd - are they running friendly?
                  Actually, the Air cast boots are one's I put on first, then put my running shoes on over them. And they are very "friendly" and comfortable...I know I could easily run in them. And Peter, I have studied AT a lot lately, and I am aware this may be a chronic problem I may always have...and will just do what you do. But right now, I am trying to get to the point where I can at least walk pain free...which is getting better now. But as Holly told me, at some point I will have to take a test run and just see, but stop if there is any pain...which worries me with my all or nothing personality. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

TammyinGP

Erika - I'm envious of your visit with the Reger's - they are one of the nicest and easiest to be around couples I've met. I only wish I could have spent more time with them in Eugene. Have a good time!

Tammy

xor

So... who of the Seattle-area folks will be at Bridle Trails tomorrow evening? I can't stay for the whole enchilada, but I will be there for the nachos. Which is a goofy way of saying that I don't have time (or really desire) to do the 50k, but I've signed up for the 10 miler. Who's in? I don't recall...

"Erika - I'm envious of your visit with the Reger's - they are one of the nicest and easiest to be around couples I've met. I only wish I could have spent more time with them in Eugene."
                        Ahhh thanks! Right back at ya Lovely Tamster! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

No run today. Just 4 fizzy lifting sets, an hour on the spin cycle, and 45 minutes on the eclectical. X-train city.

Marathon Maniac #957

But as Holly told me, at some point I will have to take a test run and just see, but stop if there is any pain...which worries me with my all or nothing personality.
                            Yes, that's EXACTLY the issue - can you be trusted to do a SLOW JOG and to STOP AT THE FIRST SIGN OF PAIN? (Dg taught me that) Erika - hoping for a great race for you with no foot issues...take some pictures, too, okay?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

Gordon & Kevin... be here when you can. thank you for letting us know. oh, this is a litle funny. Yes Tim.... listen to Holly!! ..thanks Holly. um, my run was 4:19 easy at a 9:42 pace, max 8:21, ahr 167 mh 177, 17 min. on the elliptical, stab. ball reverse crunches, side planks, russian twists. (2 sets). Blush Very happy to report that my butt hurt less than it did yesterday. happy because it means I'm on the right track. yes?

jules2

Tim, I have had a chronic problem with my left AT for the past few years. It is never 100% and probably never will be. I have learned to live with it. Sometimes it doesn't bother me very much and sometimes I just have to NOT run when it acts up...just the way it is. Even when I stopped running for 2 or 3 weeks last February after prostate surgery, it did absolutely nothing to help it.
                                I've had much the same experience but at the moment ( fingers crossed ) it has gone or should I say sometimes I feel it very slightly but it does not effect my running. At one stage I thought I would never run again and resting seemed to make no difference.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.