Masters Running

Jan. 9 Master Runs - and happy Gator Nation Celebrations! (Read 532 times)

For those of you who have nothing better to do at 6:00 AM Sunday you can Track the Ice Goddess. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #3309

OK, since others are chiming in.... where did you guys and gals with the AT exactly feel your pain? Mine is at the back of my heel, and I feel the pain when I push off to walk...and the same when I was running. The pain I have - from what my foot Docs have said - is where the Achilles attaches to the heel. But I was also diagnosed with a bad heel spur too, and sometimes wonder if that is what my pain is instead. But I have had others tell me, that the heel spur is not causing my pain...guess I get confused sometimes having multiple injuries, with broken toes also (which doesn't feel to awfully bad now) Oh yeah, with my AT pain, I can take my thumb and push on the back of my heel, and make it hurt...if that helps describe it better. Thanks for any help you may have with this issue. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Bagged my x-training this a.m. to get to work early and clean, clean, clean. I can't believe what a pack rat I am at work. At home, I throw stuff away all the time! Tim - Good luck with the boot/air casts. Gordon and Stumpy - Will miss you. Check back once in awhile. Erika - Good luck! Have fun! Smile big when you see that camera! Oh, and jump so you have both feet off the ground for your pic. Wink Holly - Somehow you passed your toenail infection to me via the web. Tongue What have you done in the past (besides get antibiotics) to work on clearing it up? I have no clue how this happened since I haven't been running, but it's the toe I lost the nail on last May. Confused

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #3309

Yes, that's EXACTLY the issue - can you be trusted to do a SLOW JOG and to STOP AT THE FIRST SIGN OF PAIN?
          Sniff Sniff, geez Holly...you didn't have to yell at me Big grin (you know I am kidding) But I also know you are so right, and I take your advice to heart. But doing it is a different story though Roll eyes But know if I blow my recovery now, I could be done with running ...like forever. TBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly - Somehow you passed your toenail infection to me via the web. Tongue What have you done in the past (besides get antibiotics) to work on clearing it up? I have no clue how this happened since I haven't been running, but it's the toe I lost the nail on last May. Confused
            I don't understand either...if you lost your toenail back in May, why is it getting infected now? Is it (like mine) a toe that seems to get repeatedly hurt? (This is maybe the 4th time I've lost this same toenail due to a blister underneath it.) At any rate, I have been keeping it wrapped, at first in gauze and tape and then the last few days in those flexible fabric "fingertip" bandaids, with lots of triple antibiotic ointment slathered on it. It was improving on its own by the time I went to the doc, but knowing that I was going to keep running (and aggravating it), I felt it was a good idea to get oral antibiotics too. Timbo - that's the tough one. BTW - those of you who participated in the weightloss thread, I've done a tabulation and, by and large, we did pretty darn good in the face of holiday goodies. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

So... who of the Seattle-area folks will be at Bridle Trails tomorrow evening?
              I'm doing the 50K. Just drove there this morning to make sure I can find the entrance to the park and won't get lost even before the run , I'll have plenty of opportunities to do that from 5pm onwards., in the dark.. Francesca
                I don't understand either...if you lost your toenail back in May, why is it getting infected now? Is it (like mine) a toe that seems to get repeatedly hurt? (This is maybe the 4th time I've lost this same toenail due to a blister underneath it.) At any rate, I have been keeping it wrapped, at first in gauze and tape and then the last few days in those flexible fabric "fingertip" bandaids, with lots of triple antibiotic ointment slathered on it. It was improving on its own by the time I went to the doc, but knowing that I was going to keep running (and aggravating it), I felt it was a good idea to get oral antibiotics too.
                Don't know why it's getting infected now. The nail grew back thin, but grew back. Haven't had any further problems with it until yesterday. When I got home late last night, I looked at it and thought, "Whaa??" This morning it's definitely more irritated. Will soak it in Epsom salts and slather it real good with antibiotic cream. Thanks for the info.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

xor

I'm doing the 50K. Just drove there this morning to make sure I can find the entrance to the park and won't get lost even before the run , I'll have plenty of opportunities to do that from 5pm onwards., in the dark.. Francesca
                  At least the horse poop will be thawed. Squishy poop is better than the frozen kind that can turn an ankle. Alas, all week they've been telling us that saturday weather would be good. Now they are saying it will be rainy starting saturday afternoon. Sigh. 10 puddle and poop filled miles.

srlopez - I was going to do the 10 miler, but alas I didn't run very much over the holidays and have lost so much sproink, that I'd most certainly come in last place. So, don't tell Francesca this...but I bought a head lamp today and was going to surprise her by showing up at the trails sometime during her second to last or last loop of her 50K and running a few miles with her, in the dark squishy poop. Btw, the puddle situation is probably going to be bad. I never run there in the winter and only in the summer during dry spells, and even then there are some puddles. Erika, it was great to hear you had a great-feeling run. Btw, you will discover that Byll is really tall, kind of like Tramps. Smile I did 8 miles. 1 mile w/u on the TM, then outside for 3 miles. I had forgotten to pack my running jacket, so just had shorts, thin short sleeve and thin long sleeve and gloves on at 40F, not much wind. It was an experiement. My hands were the only warm part of me, and maybe the top of my head. The rest felt like an ice cube. I did one mile (downhill) at about 8:40 and it felt hard. Back to the TM, did a couple easy miles then another fast one at 8:35. It felt very hard too. Well, I hope I can get my speed/endurance what ever you call it back in another two weeks. Lynden! I was thinking of you today, seriously! I had my Ragnar Relay shirt on......please come back soon!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

<ignoring> Gee, Robert, you make that Bridle Trail run sound so inviting! Roll eyes Good luck to those of you who are running it (in the dark and rain and poop). TimBo, I've heard "these boots are made for walking" but never "these boots are made for running!" Hope the boots help to speed your recovery. Gordon and Kevin, we'll miss you, be sure to check in every now and then! Jeanne, very sweet of you to volunteer at the homeless shelter. Meg, cool that you ran a PBJ special in exactly an hour on the nose! That made me smile, too! Yesterday was shorts-and-tee-shirt weather, and today it's back to long pants, long sleeves, and gloves. Sad 39F and overcast, but at least the ground is dry. 4.1 miles around the golf course paths at a 10:33 avg pace. Snow in the forecast.</ignoring>

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Oh yeah, with my AT pain, I can take my thumb and push on the back of my heel, and make it hurt...if that helps describe it better.
                        Advice.... Don't push on the back of your heel Big grin

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I haven't posted much this week because I've had a bad cold, my ankle's been twinging, and I haven't run much. I felt like my body was saying, "Be careful!!!" so I listened for a change! Tomorrow DS will be running the two-mile race at the Dartmouth Relays. It's a small world - our plumber was just here, and his niece from New York will be running the mile race that comes right before DS's race! It's a 3-hour drive from our house, so it will be a good chance for DS to practice driving. If I can survive! I hope everyone has a great weekend!

King of PhotoShop

Been working packet pickup all day for tomorrow's club race. Jogged 2 this morning at the Y and felt okay, then my whole core workout. Hope Erika is having fun on her visit to the United States. Spareribs
                            TammyinGP

Hope Erika is having fun on her visit to the United States. Spareribs
                              {snork} Big grin

Tammy

9 miles for me this afternoon. 10:23 pace. It was shorts and t-shirt weather.....why did I wear long pants and a longsleeve T? Gordon, I'll really miss your weekly running and xtrain thread. Please hurry back. Stumpy...hurry back to you too. Good luck to all the weekend racers! "I fly so high when you're around, that my feet don't touch the ground"
                                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM