Masters Running

40's+ on the Run - W/E 11/7 (Read 439 times)

Real courage embraces the twin realities of current difficulty and ultimate triumph.  Yes, life stinks.  But it won't forever.  As one of my friends likes to say, "Everything will work out in the end.  If it's not working out, it's not the end." -- Max Lucado

It's the start of another fabulous fall week, although it seems that winter arrived for Cindy and Jim last week.  Leslie, sure hope the goats are doing better.  What a schmuck who did that!

Went with my friend over to the 4 for HANK 4 mile run yesterday.  I'm still hacking and such, so didn't run, but my friend brought home 2nd in her AG Smile.  The race is to raise $$'s for the families of fallen police officers in Ft. Worth, and was started by the widow of one a few years ago.  Nice to see her remarried and smiling.  They also added a 10 mile race this year, and changed the location to some park trails near the fallen officers' memorial.

Hoping for a nice easy bike ride today in the sunshine.

Oh, and happy falling back! 

Progress Trumps Pefection

flatland mountaineer

Naw Ev he didn't buy it, woke me up from my nap and sent me out to clean my work pickup but I bugged out at 5 o'clock when he wasn't looking. :-) I am bagging my long run today for now. I haven't missed 3 runs since wheat harvest in July but still feel like carp with chills and aches at night. I might give some kind of run a go later this afternoon if I get to feeling better. I really hate to lose a week of training.

Nice 9er Ev, more nice weather on tap :-)

Carol that race sounded like a nice way to spend part of a day even if ya couldn't run.

Leslie neat that your neighbors came together over the goats.

Looks like we have a week of open weather shaping up that hopefully will turn into 2 or 3 weeks of warm dry weather so we can put this harvest and this sucky  wretched  miserable awful unpleasant year to bed and make our half in Vegas on Dec 6. The snow came without alot of wind and did no further damage to the corn. Took my red Peterbilt to a shop to get new u-joints in the front drive shaft, and got some fuel leaks fixed on the auger tractor. I am getting my service pickup cleaned out and loaded up with harvest parts, and doing dirt work around the new bin and keeping the snow and later mud ruts bladed off out there.  I got about an hour of maintenance work on my combine, nothing major, just lots of little things to make things run smoother  if when we  get to harvest again.

going up, 2 rings on 7 more to go

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Carol......Fallen police officers.....fallen soldiers......people who put there lives (and their family's) on the line for the rest of us.  They don't have to do it.  But something calls them to do it.  Thanks to them.  And thanks to the widow who started that race.  Hope it continues to grow and do good for the families.

Jim....glad you got a least a little nap in yesterday.  I tried to nap also, but LMD had a list of duties for me.  She told me yesterday to to cut my run a mile short because she had a list of chores a mile long...  Get yourself well.

Turned it into a ten spot this morning.  IRC once again. 

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

LMD had a list of duties for me.  She told me yesterday to to cut my run a mile short because she had a list of chores a mile long

That's a good one!

Jim - Take care of yourself.  This flu is a nasty one that's really knocking the wind out of people's sails, some for up to three weeks.

Carol - You take care of that cold, too.  Don't want it to flourish into something else.  And the race yesterday.  Can't think of a better reason to participate in one.  All my thanks to those who put themselves in danger's way to keep me and mine safe.

Did my own HM this a.m.  Had 13 on the schedule, so went ahead and extended it by .10.  I haven't downloaded my run from my Garmin yet, but the second half definitely went better than the first.  I forced myself to concentrate on my form and arm movement and, by golly, I ran better!  They were all road miles so not much climbing which, after yesterday's fiasco, was nice.

Hope Halloween went well for everyone.  We had one trick or treater.  Had I known he'd be the only one, I would've dumped half the bowl in his sack.  Not sure why none of the neighborhood kids were out, but it was pretty drizzly, and this area has a lot of community parties where the kids can go and play games, etc., and the parents know they're safe.

Have a great Sunday ~

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Wasn't feeling so bad yest aft so went for a little 3 miler. It was not the brightest thing I ever did. I got back and felt increasingly carpy, tried to eat a bite then got the chills and spiked a fever of 102. I took some ibu tylenol combo, drank lots of water and finally by about 11 last nite I felt better.

Nice half Leslie. Its amazing what a few little technique changes do for ya.

Ev.....a mile short so you could do a mile long list of chores

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Hiya Folks!

Carol- I enjoyed your pics from last week! WTG and look at you ,you Tri Veteran! You should be proud of yourself cause we are. I'll echo what Ev said and what a great cause for the Police race. These people are the true hero's among us,not sports stars and such. My hat goes off to all of those who put their lives on the line,as well as their loved ones who have to worry so much about them. Hope you're feeling better.

Hope you're feeling better too Jim. Cool pic.Does that mean the silo will get 7 rings taller? Unlike my job,I guess you can't really call in sick, but rest up. There will be plenty of time for your runs when you feel better.

Nice running for you Ev. What's IRC?I told you about how the football season can change.Now your Cowboys are doing much better and the Giants seemed to have tanked. I couldn't bring myself to watch 3 brutal losses in a row and had to turn it off at halftime yesterday.Yuk!

Good going Leslie on your half! You won!! About the arm swing.When I was leaving the watch at home earlier in the year and just working on form,improved arm swing was the single most important improvement that I made. I see a lot of people not swinging (wasted energy) or swinging across their bodies( wasted energy). Dropping your shoulders and swinging to the side,parellel to your stride is the way to go. There is so much inertia that is generated by a good arm swing that it really helps your legs save energy. On hills it's even more important.

Just signed up for the lottery for next year's NYC Marathon. I have been denied once,after 3 denials I'm automatically in. My friend Jim did it yesterday and repeated what I have heard,it's an unforgettable experience.Crowds 10-20 people deep the whole race urging you on. He said he knew he was too fast in the beginning but the adrenaline made it hard to slow down. A 3:52 for him is slow ,and he had to "death shuffle" the last couple of miles but said he had a blast.

Saturday was a hot (75*) 19 miler for me.Last of my longest runs before the marathon on the 22nd. Went well on lead legs from Thursday's track workout. It gets easier from here!

Nice running for you Ev. What's IRC?I told you about how the football season can change.Now your Cowboys are doing much better and the Giants seemed to have tanked. I couldn't bring myself to watch 3 brutal losses in a row and had to turn it off at halftime yesterday.Yuk!

Thanks.   IRC=Ideal Running Conditions. 

Yes, it's a long season, I guess.  Exciting game next week....Cowboys/Eagles  Have you been on vacation?

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Queen of 3rd Place

E - A - G - L....heh   Also Chargers and that Old Guy (Old Guys Rule, doncha know) up there in Minnesota... Eagles v 'Boys is a big rivalry, at least from the point of view of folks in Philly.

...then there's the Phillies...WTH???....I'm wearing my Phillies jersey today, maybe I should have donned my McNabb jersey so I could hold my head up...

But THE BEST sports news of the week was the strong USA showing at the New York Marathon! Awesome!

Jim - Take it easy there, try to rest up!  I hear your boss is a slave-driver - ha...but maybe you should bag the runs.

Carol - running and hacking, doesn't make such a nice mix. Hope you feel better soon.

Leslie - good on you for working on form on such a long run!

Joe - what's your schedule like over the next few weeks? What will your weekly mileage look like vs. the 70s you've been hitting? Just curious, I'm trying to rethink how I approach the taper.

Ev - IRC, I like!

Speaking of IRC, it's been nothing by pleasant running conditions 'round here, made for a nice as could be 14-miler yesterday. Next week is our town's marathon (I'm doing the half), hoping the weather stays nice - it was cold, windy and drizzly last year, better than hot, but yuck...

Stay warm everyone!

Arla

Ex runner

jfa

Oh no, I forgot that Arla is an Eagles fan! I won't hold it against you. What a cool California girl is doing rooting for those guys is beyond me?! Actually,it's not the team that irks me as the people in the stands. For the Phillies game, the crowd was chanting "CC Sucks" and "Yankees Suck" and throwing coins at the Yankee outfielders. Now what kind of message does that give the kids?

As far as taper for me, the next 3 weeks are 52, 41, and 30 mpw.The taper is pretty short this time.The long runs are shorter than they have been but the speedwork is about the same. I'm not going to get caught up in a goal time because last time I had good training but for some reason, did not feel good on race day. I'll just take it as it comes and try not to physch myself out. 

Hey, you Half Marathon Hussy (that would be Arla ) - Good luck this coming weekend. 

Joe - Your weekly mileages are incredible.

Jim - Take extra good care of yourself.  We don't want you coming down with pneumonia.

Talk about suffering - try being a Raider fan.  'Nuf said.

Rest day for me, which is good since my shins are barking at me about from my road mileage yesterday.  Will have to stay on top of icing, ibu, and exercises since I'll be putting in a lot more road miles over the next few months.

We lost Momma Goat last night, unfortunately.  I really wish the owner had taken my advice and put her down a couple of days ago, but he just couldn't bring himself to do it.  Kept hoping they'd be able to pull her out of it.  Looks like the rest are gonna be okay, although I think they're still keeping a close eye on Baby.  And I know all of us are going to be a lot more diligent about watching what's going on with that property.  It's my understanding the Billy Goat gave the lady owner a run for her money yesterday when she and her husband were doling out more Pepto.  Ended up butting her pretty hard.  He's an ornery cuss, which is probably why he managed to pull through!

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I remember back in the Buddy Ryan days, the Eagles and the Cowboys hated each othr.  I think they pretty much still do!  One game in particular.....The Cowboys were running off the field at half time and the Eagle fans were pelting them with snowballs.  I recall Jimmie Johnson took one to the head.  Bounced right off with all that hair spray!

That was exciting watching the NY Marathon.  The woman who placed second.....she looked like she was stiffening up through out the last 6 miles or so.  I was wondering if she was going to make it......her stride really looked hobbled.  But she hung in there and finished fairly strong. 

Just finished up a nice 5 miler.  Later on my friends.

flatland mountaineer

Feeling better tonight, I still have a little fever but basically slept all morning and on mega ibu at nite, did some light shop work and checked some fields this afternoon. I am wondering how to tell when its ok to run again, a repeat of last nite would not be fun and further delay recovery I think.

Leslie I have no willpower with halloween candy so Lynda hides it and doles out one little reeses pb cup/day and I am happy as a clam. But wait we have no trick or treaters out here in the sticks so why do we have halloween candy???

Joe most Nebraska people root for the Yankees cause of Joba, bummer they got a homer off him but nice victory last nite(mon).

Really good to see the great US finishes yesterday in the NYC marathon. It looks like a cool one, hope u get in Joe.

Arla doing another half marathon that's just hard to believe.  Have a great race in the old home town.

Carol hope your feeling better now also.

EV looks like IRC all week !

Oh and I was hungry like an hour early today WUWT

MTA guess the Yanks get to win the series at home.........

Howdy, Folks -

Jim - I'll just keep saying until you listen to me ( ) - Don't push yourself on this thing.  It's ugly, ugly, ugly.  The folks here at work are more than a week into it and still feeling terrible.  Fevers come and go, etc.  I know the farm won't wait, but running can.  We don't want you to end up in the hospital.  (Okay, Mom is done scolding.)

Ev - I was cracking up at the remark about Jimmie Johnson's hair.

XT day today, with 30 min of cycling, then an hour of core/strength. 

My boss is in the office today with her daughter, and they're both still sick.  Ugh!  Stay . . . away . . . from me!  I've been washing my hands like crazy.  Unfortunately, something in this office stirs up my allergies, so every time I need to blow my nose it's like "Oh no!  Is this it?!?" 

Have a good one ~

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - sorry to hear about momma goat. I get unreasonably mad when people are mean to animals.  

....Also - don't get sick!!!

Joe - I lived in Philadelphia for a few years, felt kinda bad that the town was always let down by their teams. The saddest day was when thousands showed up in the rain to watch Smarty Jones (bred in SE PA) on a huge, outdoor screen...and...pffft! Anyway, from what I hear, the fans used to be much, MUCH worse.

Ev - oooh, need to watch the women's race next. It's so impressive to see how much pain some of these athletes can take.

Shapin' up to be a nice marathon weekend here in "The 'No" - low 40s at the start, warming to the low 60s, no rain in sight - sweet!

Arla

Ex runner

Leslie - sorry to hear about momma goat. I get unreasonably mad when people are mean to animals.  

This is more of a case of stupidity.  The guy who we believe fed them the clippings was out there and said, "I've only given them "such-and-such," but I knew it was safe."  I looked him in the eye and said, "Nobody should be feeding them anything without the owners' permission."  Like the husband told one of the kids in the neighborhood: If you can eat it, they can eat it.

They're all getting their winter coats now, and so are the horses.  This morning when I was leaving for work it was still pretty chilly and you could see all the puffs of breath coming out of each animal, there was a slight, low fog, the sun rising behind them over the mountains - it was really pretty.

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance