Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 11.19.17 (Read 42 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I'm behind schedule already this morning, so this'll be a quick walk-by. Dear Niece #1 arrived early yesterday, and we stopped for breakfast at DW's and my favorite dive, and had a good day, and even baked a cake (chocolate with Bailey's Irish Cream), and made Firehouse Chili ahead of time for dinner. We left to go back to the airport to pick up DW in mid-afternoon, and DN #2 arrived by car about 3 minutes before we pulled back into the driveway. We made a salad, opened some wine, and got the evening going.

Photo shoot at the office for the women this morning, and I have work to do around the house and, if the rain stops soon enough, a shed that has to be stained. We also might go to a museum this afternoon. Dinner tonight will be garlicky chicken with lemon and anchovies, and smashed potatoes with onions and parsley. And maybe some more cake.

I stayed in and read for a while this morning, waiting for a break in the rain. But then I only had about 35 minutes before I had to wake up DW. So I went, in shorts in absurd 54° temps, for a quick 3.2 RW miles at close to 5K pace, and got back A) before the rain resumed, and B) in time to wake up DW only 1 minute late.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Jay. 54°?  Send some of that my way, would 'ya? Your dinner menu sounds marvelous. Do you ever share your recipes (like the one for chocolate cake with Bailey's frosting?) Have a great time with the ladies today.

Bundle up today Erika!

It was 24° with 15-20 mph winds out of the NW this morning. I was not dressed right! I cut it short and headed home after 2 miles, then did some core work for 15 minutes. I'm trying to warm up with hot coffee right now. We were going to put our outside Christmas lights up today, but that might not happen when DH walks out the door

We watched "Wind River" last night. Pretty intense flick. After we watched that, we got out the Scrabble board and played a couple of games while we watched "Rear Window" with Jimmy Stewart. I love the Alfred Hitchcock stuff!

Have a great Sunday everyone, and good luck to RunnerKSA and anyone else racing today.

Henrun

High 50’s here. Out for 2 miles in mizzle/drizzle/rain in shorts..

Went to a Canadian Brass concert last night. Very enjoyable and a lot of fun.

bioguy

Hi all,

I posted for several years on the Runners World Masters forum and was bummed when it disappeared suddenly. Need a bit more accountability, so here I am. I see Quickadder and Metalman are hanging out here on occasion, so hi !

6.5 today with the added pleasure of very gusty winds. My goal race isn't till April, teh inagural Salisbury, MD marathon. I'll be trying a Hanson's plan for the first time.

Tailwinds,

Bioguy (aka Joe)

metalmancpa

Hi Bioguy!

I'm here on occasion, but honestly since I have zero race plans and am just running for "fun", no feel/need for accountability and just find myself posting less about running. That being said, other than backing down my weekly mileage around 20%-25% to what it has been all year (since I was focused on the marathon), I'm still putting in the work as if I could have a race in the pipeline (meaning not just going for a walk/jog). This was my past week's effort:

Mon - 3.01 (8:33) - this was a rest day, but for whatever reason ran on the treadmill

Tue - 6.33 (8:16)

Wed - 6.08 (8:52)

Thu - SRD

Fri - 6.4 (8:38)

Sat - 10.15 (8:40)

Sun - 6.4 (8:41)

In backing down the mileage, my easy speed has ticked up :10-:15 per mile. Wed was my slowest run, but that has been my normal easy pace most of the year, with many runs 9:00 and over. I feel a little more pep with the shorter distances, and love 10-12 miles being my LR distance (I already stated that several days ago).

Quickadder

Hi Bioguy. Several of the RW Masters on this site but spread across various forums. Size 12 is in the Chicago Marathon Forum, OFR in Frequent Racers and the Beginners Forum, a few in the Senior Masters 60+ Forum. Also see falconfixer, opus and others.

Sunday morning trail run with DD. Wonderful 47F and dry & sunny. 9 easy miles.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Marathon Maniac #957

Welcome Bioguy!

Jlynne - I am still shaking my head over the supervisor that would not let your coworker have the day off for his daughter's wedding.  I think I would have had to take that one up the chain of command.

38 and windy today, but dry.  Got in 5.5 recovery paced miles and about 30 minutes of weights and core.

I am spending a few hours working remotely, trying to keep up with the time off next week.  Mike - at least I can stay home and get work done, while you have to drive way across town.  Good luck on the new job prospect.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, returned from California (successful trip BTW, our wing won the Raincross Trophy--for outstanding unit in 4th Air Force--for the first time since 2002.  So all day flight back to NC on Friday (after an early, early AM run).  Then got up early on Saturday for a couple of quick miles.....and followed that with an 11 hour drive back home.  No run yet today (will be shortly).  Did get to Mass then went by DS#1's grave site.

Opus, Saw MG J at the conference.  If she has her way, my time at S-J may end even sooner than we had discussed in the past.  Which would stink.

Bio, good to see you here.  Hope all is well in VA!  Was up there last weekend and ran the Richmond Marathon.  Went well, got to meet two of the forumites here.

Welcome to Bioguy//......enjoy the forum......

===========

30's and 40s today

.....60-min (6x10) mostly outside

start

PT tomorrow,

can already tie my shoe (yes, that doesn't sound like much)

and

hope to work upto putting on my sock (can't get down that far yet)

also

I have a Really Cool Hat

.....................Good Running to Ya...........just kiddin' about the hat

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

Welcome, Bioguy! I first read that as Bigguy... old eyes, heh. So you're from VA? So is Tramps (aforementioned Richmond Marathon forumite).

Nothing like a little light movie entertainment in the Jlynne household... And I'd love to run in 24° but those winds would keep me inside!

Jay, have fun with the nieces. I'd also like to see some of your recipes... good timing this morning!

Metal, I find after I'm done with the racing season, I sort of fall into a funk at times. The runs are shorter, usually due to weather and work as much as anything, but I do have to push myself to get out there sometimes. Could be that it takes over 10 minutes to bundle up for an outdoor run most days in the winter here, but also don't have much motivation. And it seems so many other "life things" get put off when marathon training, that I feel a need to catch up on stuff on the home front. But yeah, 10-12 miles seems like a good off season "long run."

And on that note, Holly are you training for something or just keeping the long run thing going? I'm finding it hard to justify the time spent on a run much over 12 miles these days.

So with that... it should be above zero today although still single digits. I'm hoping the roads and paths around DH's office are plowed so I can cobble together some miles. The Relive of it might be kind of good for a giggle though, with lots of out-and-backs and repeated sections. We'll see, I guess!

Flying Monkey Marathon DONE!  5:03, which is my 2nd fastest of my 4 Monkeys (after my 4:18 in 2009).  Race report later, but I did it!  This is faster than I expected.  I executed the race well.  Got to hang out with a lot of RAers-  Lopez, BHearn, Trent (of course), and many others.  I did the early start with about 40 others, which was nice because I got back sooner and into the beer tent.   Apparently the lead cyclist led the leader off course and he got mad and quit, so the No. 2 guy won with a pretty slow winning time of 3:14.  My son in his boot observed the finish and was sad that he didn't have a shot at winning.   I am SO glad this is over.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Hello Masters.  Checking in after several days of poor connectivity here in the VA mountains.  Very slow internet.  So I didn't have to log in every day to say I was slacking off.  After a good first week of running while on the road, I kind of let it slip this week.  Did get a good amount of hilly hiking though, so not a total loss.  Tomorrow we head to Williamsburg for 7 days.  I have a number of favorite routes there, so I will get back in the groove.

Toured Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's home) yesterday.  I am a history buff and my degree was in Political Science, but I either forgot or never learned how amazing he was.  Truly fascinating how interested he was in science, as well as math, architecture, and art.  Plus his politics seem to be right up my alley.  What was more amazing was how he managed to get along and remain friends with his political opposites such as John Adams.  Unheard of today.  Of course, the whole slave owning thing isn't so palatable.  But there were very interesting quotes from some of his slaves on how they were treated like family (though I'm sure not all agreed).  Anyway, if you ever find yourself around west-central VA, make it a point to visit here.

Bioguy - great to see you.  I was hoping you'd find your way here.  I hope school is going well.  Ready for a break this week?  I agree on the accountability aspect of posting regularly.  I always envisioned NB4 shaking his head when I admitted to slacking off!

Metalman - great week.  Your week looks a lot like I would do when I was 100%.  6-7 miles per run at similar paces.  I thought that always set me up well to do a bit of a surge in intensity if I wanted to run a race.

Falcon - good that the brass wants you, too bad you might be moving on.  I'm back in town most of December, so maybe a run or two?  Congrats on the award.

Jay - that's warmer up there then down here.  Plus we have some strong winds making it truly miserable to be outside.

Mike - good luck with the job prospects.  Job change can be so stressful.  Just waiting on the outcome of our contract proposal with the USAF was stressful for me - and that didn't involve a job change.

RunnerKSA - congrats to you!!  Bummer about the leader.  That shouldn't happen, to say the least.

Evanflein - ahh, the joys of winter running in AK. So much I miss about living there, some I don't!  Though I do remember always having an extra sense of accomplishment after a nice challenging winter run.

Greetings to everyone else.  I'll check back in a day or two....

wildchild

Carolyn

Welcome to Bioguy!  We like having the new RW refugees here - post often!

I also have finished my last long race of the season, but I went for a 17 mile run today just because they're fun!  I went with a friend on a trail that I've only done once before, so it was good for a change of scenery from my usual trails. Beautiful weather here - mid 50s by the end, and very little snow on the trails - just a few slick spots.

RunnerKSA, congrats on finishing another Flying Monkey!  I loved that race - if I lived closer I'd do it more often.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Hey! Another name I recognize from RW!

just 5.5 for me today, to round my week up to 30+

Everyone in the Surly household has had low grade illness all week, me included. I probably should have stayed immobile for a couple days in a row, but you know how it is. I'll try to make the most of my evening downtime with a lot of fluids and maybe even turn the heat on. Oh yeah, Oregon is playing BB tonight! I'll sit and watch that!

I was happy with how the Ducks XC teams did at NCAA nationals, considering they had a few setbacks in the last couple weeks. what's up with Northern AZ?! I'll have to read up on their program, see who the coach is.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Marathon Maniac #957

Apparently the lead cyclist led the leader off course and he got mad and quit,

Oh, that is such a MAN thing to do.......Glad you survived it and well done on your 2nd fastest - that is a tough course.  Hope you keep most of your toenails...

Erika - I'm just trying to keep the LR thing going and the 40mpw, and since my weekday runs are usually shorter I need to make it up on the weekend.  The pace bunny is only 9 miles ahead of me, so hoping to catch up this week.

{{{Surly household}}}

Carolyn - loved the moose(es), but those can be scary.  Do you run into them a lot?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."