Masters Running

40+ and Beyond- On the Run w/e 11/22 (Read 704 times)

It has been 3 days since my last run, walk, swim or bike.     

Bless me, Father, for I am about to lose my mind.   Hang in there, Carol.  Just take it one step at a time.  And {{{hugs}}} to Scooter, poor little guy.

Jim - Nice 6-er for a guy who feels so crappy.  Way to go!  Sinus infections are awful.  A few years ago, I got a really terrible one about a week or so before I was to sing in a wedding.  Ack!  If I had to pick something up off the floor, I'd squat down, being sure to keep my head tilted backwards 'cause I thought my face was gonna explode from the pressure, especially when leaning forward.

Looks like I'm gonna have to check out both Wayne Dryer and Zig Zigler.  Maybe our local bookstore has some CDs I can listen to.

Very little sleep last night, for no apparent reason, led to me oversleeping.  So to make up for not doing any strength training today, I did 4 miles in a little over 40 min., w/6 hill repeats in the middle.  And boy howdy was it rainy and windy!  Didn't seem so bad until I turned to head back, then BLAM - right in the face.  I was soaked clear through by the time I got home.  Almost could wring the water out of my shirt.  It was kinda fun!  Also did some minor core work.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Jim - only 45 more days left in the year...

Carol - Wha....?? Easiest menu in the world! Turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberry, green bean casserole, pumpkin pie, white wine, DONE! Heh, easy for me to say...

Leslie - that's some pace with hill repeats. Did I mention I've grown a new sense of respect for hills?

Speaking of hills, I'm STILL good and sore today, still limping around. Humbling!

Arla

Ex runner

Did I mention I've grown a new sense of respect for hills?

Speaking of hills, I'm STILL good and sore today, still limping around. Humbling!

Arla

Ibu and ice!  I learned  that lesson not too long ago.  It sucks to sit in a bathtub of cold water for 10-15 minutes, but it sure does help.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

less suckiness

I'm all for less suckiness!

Ev, nice runs for you in spite of ... well ... what happened on Sunday.

I was just about ovr that.....thanks for the reminder.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

Howdy kids,

Jim- hope you get over that stuff real quick like.Here's also hoping for a better year next year.I don't know if I'm tough enough to do what you do.

Carol- I don't know if a sick dog would get you out of jury duty,you could try to explain.

Ev- it's still a long season,anything can happen. I wish I had stayed up late to watch the Pats game,there's been a lot of talk about it on the sports radio. Belicheck is such a character ,anyone else made that call they would be beaten senseless.

Arla- maybe a little bf would loosen your stuff up. That "pain" means you must have raced that race. Thatta girl.

Leslie- Wayne Dyer has always been one of my favorite authors. Does your next door neighbor the goat watch you run by in the morning?

After two days faking jury duty,it's back to work tomorrow. Two easy-peasy 5 milers, yesterday on the beach,

storm deposited alot of sand on the boardwalk

crisp fall day at the reservior

Buddy loves taper week !!

I tell ya, I love Buddy's ears.  They are definitely unique!  Naw, the goats are usually nestled down by the trees when I'm out running.  However, when I leave for work in the morning or when coming back at the end of the day, they're all kinds of excited, hoping someone will drop 'em a nugget of good stuff, like apples or carrots.  Since the Big Scare, though, we don't dare.   . . . . . although I do have some carrots that I need to get rid of . . . . . . and they seem to be eating just fine now. . . . . . .

Nitey Night

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberry, green bean casserole, pumpkin pie, white wine,

You had me at turkey.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

Easy teasy 3.64 with a little tempo thrown in. Dessa tried to set the pace, unfortunately 5mm are not MY temp pace.

Throat still raw but had a friend in the combine and I drove 18 wheeler yesterday. I think thats better for my sinuses for now as I could wear a mask to dump and was out the dust the rest of the time. Our combine looks like its on fire going through the field in some varieties, a black cloud. Got the first farm done on my custom job despite a flat inside Dual (large inside back tire) on Lynda's tractor, hope to get the next one done today. Clicking along, there is hope.

Have a great day folks!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - nice pics, great to see that you and Buddy are enjoying your taper week.

Jim - "BLACK CLOUD"??? That's all from the mold? Horrible!

Blustery, drizzly day, these always look yukky but then are fun to run in, a little more coffee and I'm out there!

Arla

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

Hiiiii!!!  ** waving madly as I run by ** reading when I can - not much posting time avail

Still crazy busy around here...makes for a decent paycheck BUT....running.is.not.happening much lately...don't know what I'm gonna do about Vegas?? maybe at least my endurance is still being pushed...if not, I wiped fer nothin!

Having to sort out family drama for T-day - again!   I'll be cooking in btwn shifts though - & whomever may be here, may be here. Cest la vie!

Need to quote a FB postie:  "The fecal matter is practically identical, but today is unique! Carpe Diem!"

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Need to quote a FB postie:  "The fecal matter is practically identical, but today is unique! Carpe Diem!"

Good one!  And Cindy, repeat after me (thinking of when family is overtaxing and requesting too much of you): "NO!  Be off with you and leave me to my bon bons."

Jim - I certainly hope the black cloud isn't mold.  Yuck!

Arla - Yes, the blustery days are fun to run in.

10 road miles with striders every 10 min this a.m.  Completed in about 1:38, with some hills thrown in for good measure.  The quads felt really heavy for every single hill, which sucked.  Thought I was going to be overdressed, but the closer it got to the sun rising, the cooler it became, and I was happy to be wearing my winter attire and gloves.

If I stay on track with my training through Sunday, I'll have my first ever 50-mile week.  Unbelievable.

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

since I've been baring my soul to my buddies in the newbie thread, I'm going to cheat and copy it into here as an explanation of my hit and run posting.

Greetings all.  A brief explanation on the sounds of silence on my part.  Hopefully confession is good for the soul and maybe you guys will help keep me in line.  I’m embarrassed because it’s taken me so damn long to start doing something about everything that is conspiring to keep me from running.   And when I’m embarrassed, I clam up.  On-line too apparently, just like real life.  Ask my DW—it drives her absolutely bonkers (polite term--@#$%ing crazy is more accurate)  But I am keeping track and lurking with the spot comment.

I finally got out my list of exercises for knee, shin splints and the core workout that got mentioned here a while back.  I’m figuring on a couple of weeks of no running (on top of the past several weeks of very minor and aggravating running) to work on this and try to make all the x-training a habit before I start up again.  I’m figuring that I will start with the one hour runner plan again to re-re-re-build my base.  It worked well the last time and should be fairly easy to keep up with through the winter.  I missed most of the winter running this past year and don’t want to do it again.  I started with the knee work last night and will work in everything else over the next couple of days.  Coming into the holidays is a great time to start, but I’ve never had great timing. 

Max has been somewhat deprived lately, so I’m also hoping to get a couple miles in with him most nights to keep some semblance of shape.  We shall see.  It does mean that I’ll blow off the Jinglebell Run that I’ve gone to the past couple years (12/13) since I’m not sure I’ll be able to run the whole thing.  I have a faint thought that I’d like to do the Hampton half in February, but that could be highly overambitious.  More realistically is a half in Westfield, MA in early April that I had planned on doing this year (before a-fib intruded)

Sorry--I spent too much time typing about me and it's time to hit the road.  i'll be back later (I hope)

Happy running and recovering to all.

Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

flatland mountaineer

woke up before 5 to get a 6er in but came out to my chair and feel back asleep and decide Ineeded that more for today. I can work it in tommorow with no harm to the schedule if I feel good enough. Throat maybe a little better, I was in the truck yest so that prob helped. We are hoping they have our new bin complete enuff to dump into today or we won't get much done. Jonathan is doing a x-country marathon in FLA this Sun, but he said they harvesed the field behind his house and he is having sinus problems now also. The black stuff is jut common smut, the other molds are probably what is causing our problems. Some TMI on corn nasties.

http://nu-distance.unl.edu/homer/disease/agron/corn/CoCmnSmut.html

http://www.wallacesfarmer.com/story.aspx?s=32418

Always good to hear from and about you Kevin.

Ya Buddys ears just kill me, what a pup.

Cindy sounds busy up at Breck, I hear ya about trying to get some runs worked in, but bet our crew can still have some fun in Vegas.

Yup Carol the sweats will stay in Vegas alnog with probably and old seed corn coat.

gotta kick the tires and light the fires c ya

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

Kevin - April sounds good on the HM, sign up now and keep yourself motivated, works for me...good luck on the crosstraining, I know you'd rather be just running...

Jim - heh, funny when your bod says "nope" like that...time to zzzzzzzz.....bet you'll feel completely different tomorrow.

Leslie - first 50 mi week, WOOT! They get easier, although with all the hills, stationary bike, core, and lifting you do, I dunno...

The seasons have officially changed (from "Hot" to "Fog") here in the 'No, we have our first proper foggy morning, and the trees are still at their peak of color...magical. From where I sit, looking out the big back windows I see redwoods stretching into the fog, and the front window is completely taken up by a Japanese maple in it's full glory of redness.

Feeling a little tired, not sure if I'm gonna get out for that 10 I penciled in for myself, or maybe 5 or 6, or maybe just sit here, enjoy the misty morning, and have another cuppa jo. 

Arla

Ex runner

Leslie - first 50 mi week, WOOT! They get easier, although with all the hills, stationary bike, core, and lifting you do, I dunno...

It's the mid-week 10-miler that I'm having to get used to.  However, having Friday as a rest day sure has helped, mentally and physically.  Your descrip out your window this a.m. sounds wonderful but - - - Fresno has redwoods?!?  And here all along I thought it was just heat, asphalt, sidewalks . . . heat.

Stumpy - You can unload in here anytime.  Here's to you gettin' your mojo back.  And I agree with Arla - sign up for an HM.  It really helps to have a goal.

Jim - Glad you're feeling better.  You obviously needed the sleep.

I was too snuggly in my bed this a.m., so didn't get my 30 min of cardio done, but since my bladder was pushing me out from under the covers, I sighed a big heavy sigh and went out for 1.25 hrs of core/strength.  The Hub was up early, as well, but did he join me?  snork - uh, that would be a negatory.  I'm glad I got it done, though, as I always feel better after.

Have a good Thoisday ~

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance