Masters Running

Finally Friday April 12, 2019 (Read 46 times)

Starting us off quickly but no recap.  Sorry!

3.1 treadmill miles.  Raining outside.  Got the fan adjusted a little better so I wasn't cursing my husband the whole time.  Running late, so catch y'all later.  Have a greta day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Jlynne

Good morning KSA and those yet to post. Thanks for starting us out and sorry about the carpy weather.

Survived the first night (at their house) with my 3 grandsons. Whew!  I forgot how much work it is getting 3 boys up, dressed and fed in time for school. Headed to the Y now and I’ll check in later.

Have a great Friday morning!

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I'm sure your DH appreciate not being cursed at the whole time, KSA.

Good work with the kids last night and this morning, Jlynne.

Lot's of interesting topics from yesterday, but I don't have any time to comment 'cause I have to leave in a few minutes for today's first meeting.

The Bela Fleck/Abigail Washburn concert last night was great. She has an amazing voice, and they were both great on different banjos. I never heard such diverse music being played on that instrument, but they ranged from country to classical to 20's jazz to Beatles' songs. Fun time. But we didn't get to bed till after 11, which is well-past my bed time. However, I had felt a slight twinge in my left hamstring yesterday so, in an overabundance of caution (don't want to deal with that injury again), I planned on staying in today anyway, and caught up on some reading this morning while my TENS unit did some (hopefully) good work on my hammy.

Have a greta Friday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

anneb

Good morning masters. Sorry about the fan Karen! I don't think I would like something blowing in my face AT ALL. Heck, I don't even have a fan by my treadmill - the basement is the coldest room in the house.

I woke up quite late (after 6) and then was having Garmin problems. Finally after resetting and still not getting GPS (usually locks right away) I just left anyways and about 7 minutes later it beeped that it was ready  I also noticed the time was almost an hour off so not sure what happened. I had to hard reset it on Weds (which might have fixed the heart rate monitor), didn't use it yesterday, and then I guess I never synced it after that. First world problems... but had time for 2.8 miles. Strava said my first mile was 57:04 (presumably the time corrected after it finally got GPS).

I'm running a 10 mile race tomorrow, not a race in the true sense, but a slightly longer run at a slightly higher effort  I'm not sure what to wear! It's supposed to be 42-47, sunny but winds about 10-15mph (lakefront). Honestly it was a breezy 45 this morning and I wore long sleeves/shorts and was a tad chilly. Also, I'm not that worried about being a little warm because I'm not really racing this, if that makes sense. So probably long sleeves w/singlet over and capris. Something for me to think about obsess on all day.

TGIF!

Anne

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi all!!  Well, the lecture last night was quite interesting.  The fellow does research into endocrine disruptors, like the hormones we feed our cows and chickens, and the drugs we take and then excrete into the wastewater, and disinfectants, things like that.  His opinion is that all this stuff in the wastewater is a bigger problem than climate change, and one that's ballooning even more rapidly.  Anyway, he researches catalysts that you can put in wastewater to remove this stuff.  The catch is that the catalysts have to work better than the current method of treatment, remove more dangerous stuff, not cause any kind of toxicity issues themselves, be cheap, and be mass producible.  Kind of a tall order.  Anyway, this was the current state of about 20 years of research, and they're not there yet, but they're close.  They have catalysts that fit all the requirements except they're working on scaling up to mass production.  But they clean up everything from bacteria (think anthrax) to mold (currently in use with a few mold remediation companies) to hormones to disinfectants, all that stuff.

Science is awesome.  I have to remember that when science is also frustrating as hell!!

I biked today, but am in significant danger of breaking rule #1 on the way home.  As long as it's not a monsoon, I'll be ok.  No yoga, though, just didn't have the energy.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

dnaff

Thanks for the start KSA!

anneb, don't obsess - I think you have chosen perfectly for what to wear.

hopesmom, cool stuff.  yes, science is awesome!

Cold and beyond windy here though the sun is out.  That makes a huge difference from yesterday.  I had an amazing yoga practice yesterday.  It is always fun when something that has eluded me for months falls into place.  Saving my run for tomorrow so more yoga today.  Though I will pick out moves that require less from my quads.  they are still in wet noodle mode from yesterday.

Off to clean a bedroom and the little used upstairs bathroom.  My kids are coming from Michigan for the weekend!!!

Anne-  at 42-47 degrees O would have long tights and a warm jacket.  I hate being cold......

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Two rainy lakeside miles taking it easy for tomorrow’s annual 12-hour fun run extravaganza up-and-down the two 230' hills in the 1.93 perimeter of Carkeek Park I’ve been doing since 2009 without any particular training, if any, but with the confidence that, with lots or trekking, walking and hiking, anyone who’s in reasonably good shape anyway can not only complete marathons for fitness and fun but also take advantage of extremely generous cut-off times usually allowing for 20+m/m paces for ultra-marathon distances too.

Unfortunately, in connection with all the regular morning running I’ve been doing on the Hillside trails, including nearly 1,000 stairs every time, I decided last week to double the standard three mile loops I’ve been doing on a regular basis in the last couple of months as a training exercise for Carkeek and, to my dismay, found out that the first three miles were too tiring to do another three miles so I’m wondering and worrying now how in the world, if three miles is too much, I think I can do it for the 12 hours tomorrow I used to do with ease.

No wonder people who train are afraid of ultas.
                  Ignorance is bliss. <<<(worried)>>>

More rain tomorrow but we’ll be protected a little in the woods of the park

and, as long as I can do it for 12 hours, I couldn’t care less about the weather.

Growing up in rain country, and not worrying about being fast or not,

I know how to dress for comfort in any kind of weather.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tramps

KSA--sorry the fan thing didn't work out but it sounds like your DH meant well.

Tet--that would make a great T-shirt. You could sell them blank with a magic marker, so people could write in their own names.   And I have a hard time imagining you "wondering and worrying" too much about anything running-related. Do what you can and enjoy it.

Holly--that's tough. I'm no expert but I believe the Citizens United case has largely given employers carte blanche around most of these issues.

Jay--Glad you liked the concert. I watched that video you linked to yesterday, mostly because I hoped to learn a bit about the different styles. Interesting but, to be honest, I'm not sure I can take that much banjo as a solo instrument. I do enjoy it in the context of both old "mountain" and bluegrass music, though. And I'm always fascinated to hear West African music from which it's derived.

Anne--clothing is so personal. That's fine shorts and short-sleeve t-shirt weather for me.

HopesMom--that does sound interesting...and concerning.

22 mile ride today. I was solo so I tried picking up the pace quite a bit, which was kind of fun. A spit of rain at one point but it was passing; real rain moves in later.

Have a great weekend.

Oh, I almost forgot...

Be safe. Be kind.

Jlynne

at 42-47 degrees O would have long tights and a warm jacket.  I hate being cold......

KSA - you need to come "up north" and toughen up that nice dainty skin of yours

5 miles on the treadmill at a totally sleep deprived pace. SO hard sleeping in someone else's bed! Threw 20 minutes of weights and core to hopefully get so tired I collapse tonight.

Hey Tramps - I watched "Afterlife" with Ricky Gervais on Netflix last night. I really liked it. The scenes in the cemetery were hilarious - also got a laugh out of his poor dog never having any food.

Have a great start to your weekend folks!

I went through the box this morning where I toss race medals with the intention of collecting some to donate to Medals for Mettle, which a friend of mine runs in this area. It was a real trip down memory lane, not only for the medals from races I hardly remembered, but also because it's the same box where I've been putting all sorts of memorabilia over the years: old photos of my DS; small souvenirs from traveling; expired passports; etc.

Anyway, in hopes of somehow saving these old medals for the future, do you think I should take them off the ribbons, or save the whole thing? All those medals with ribbons makes for a pretty tangled mess. I am reducing the count by the ones I'll give away, and I might also toss some that are basically duplicates (same 10K two years in a row, etc.). But do you or would you save the ribbons along with the medals?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Dave59

4.26 miles in 70° this morning.

The park where I run is fixing the road. They are cutting off the top part of the road where it is cracking and I assume they will eventually cover up their holes, but today as I was running over one of the rough spots my foot snagged something and I about fell forward. Somehow I caught myself without pulling anything (benefits of a slow plodding run?).  The surface is so rough it would have really messed me up. I am very thankful I didn't go spat on the ground.  There is a 5k at the park tomorrow. I hope no one falls. I won't be there. Cindy wants to go out to breakfast or I'd go run the race.

I put together a bunch of information at work to help the users do their testing of the software changes. I gave them more then they asked for. So what do I get? I get an email telling me what is missing from the extra information I sent. I shouldn't have even tried to do extra. It just isn't worth it. Walmart greeter is looking better and better every day.

Joe618

Wow, so much to comment on.   Dave, don't give up on the extras, as frustrating as it seems.     Karen, thanks for the start and being a fan of fans.   AnneB, if you are interested, I can send you the nerd-ish dressing chart I've concocted over the years which helps eliminate the obsessing.   Tet, thanks for the fun comments on Tramps nice graphics work!    MikeE, the snow/ice/wind sounds awful...saw it live via FaceTime with our kids who live near you.  Yuck!!!

And I'm leaving for Boston tomorrow.

With apologies to TwoCat, I had a marvelous final training run this morning in the rain.   The temp and wind here this morning at 5am was almost exactly what we are forcast to see on Monday in Hopkinton.   So I gleefully headed out in the steady rain this morning with the exact set of layers I'm planning on wearing on Monday and did one final test over 5 miles to see how they worked.   Check.     Now, the plan is to try to survive the 2+ hours outside before actually crossing the starting line.    Legs felt great and I had to hold myself back from running faster.   I guess that's what you want during taper, right??

When I got to work, I got the biggest treat.  Two of my co-running co-workers had totally decorated my office door with 26 point 2 balloons, BAA logos, a Citgo sign, an elevation map and then left a big Boston goodie bag on my desk.   Of real value is a disposable, Tyvek "bunny suit" which I'm certainly going to use to stay dry (see above).   I was really touched by their thoughtfulness.

Then, at lunch, my DW found a "Boston Bound" sign in our front yard, put there by the same two co-workers.   So thoughtful.  I'll post photos this evening. 

Much packing tonight and then fly at oh-dark-thirty tomorrow.    See ya!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Marathon Maniac #957

When I got to work, I got the biggest treat.  Two of my co-running co-workers had totally decorated my office door with 26 point 2 balloons, BAA logos, a Citgo sign, an elevation map and then left a big Boston goodie bag on my desk.   Of real value is a disposable, Tyvek "bunny suit" which I'm certainly going to use to stay dry (see above).   I was really touched by their thoughtfulness.

Then, at lunch, my DW found a "Boston Bound" sign in our front yard, put there by the same two co-workers.   So thoughtful.  I'll post photos this evening. 

That is very cool!

Re the political dinner - we weren't actually forced to go, just sort of pressured.  And I did put the time down on my timesheet as a "marketing event."  And I only stayed for about 1.75 hours, slipping out right before the main speaker (and dinner) started.  I stayed long enough to hear a speech from the county Auditor, the pledge of allegiance, someone singing the Star Spangled Banner, a rousing prayer for the Democratic Party from a Baptist Minister, and a speech from a local high school student who has led rallies against gun violence and is incredibly excited to be able vote this year.

This morning I taped my foot and ran 4 miles on the TM, but the peroneal tendon was hurting, so I did 15 minutes more on the recumbent bike, then iced my foot.  I could barely walk for about an hour, but now it feels almost normal.  (sigh)  I have no idea what to do.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

I’m trying to picture two tenths of a balloon...