Masters Running

Wednesday May 28 Daily - Luck of the Irish to All (Read 462 times)

Oh, I was going to make the same comment - but I was afraid you'd think my mind had totally gone to the dogs!! Now I feel better . . . .
    OK......can we get Mustang Sally to put the beans on the floor like the puppy picture.......just to check this out? In regards to Tall's picture......if you take a book or piece of paper and cover the runners from the waist down so that you don't see the legs, what SR is talking about becomes VERY evident. The picture is a bit of an optical illusion. SR pointed that out but when you cover the legs you can really see it. That's okay Aamos.....our Sox will get back on track.
    Vista
      4.17 miles recovery run, which I did too fast on dead legs, 10:36 pace, oh well. 60F, overcast, not quite as humid as the last few days. Good weather. No fast men to chase today, thank goodness. Thanks for the cat-praise! She is really petite, only 7 or 8 pounds. Gotta run to the vet now...

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

8 miles in much crisper weather at about 4:30 this morning. I didn't go all that much faster, but it sure felt better. Dad has made a remarkable recovery, and we talked the doctor into discharging him today. The ambulance will be here at the hospital in about a half-hour to transport him back to the nursing home, where he will settle in with his familiar nurses and surroundings. Once again, he's proved to the medical profession that he's a tough old guy, and he's not done with this life yet. Thank you all for your good wishes.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Oh, that is great news PDR!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Yea.....that is great news. I need good news today......
            Vista
              Oops I posted on wrong day earlier. Roll eyes Thank you, Everybody for your kind words & thoughts. Wednesday nite run cancelled today. PDR great news about Dad & continued best wishes.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

no running today, After getting up at 3:15am yesterday to make a 5:10 flight, I set out the running clothes and set the alarm for the usual 5:30. After the 5th wahck of the snooze button I figured I'd better get up and go to work Embarrassed I will also throw out my that the first thing I thought of was the puppies, too Smile

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

Ok, day #3 of no running. Good thing I don't have curtains in my house or I'd be climbing them! The bad thing is that with the gardening and soccer mom duties, I haven't had time to do much of anything else so it's compounding the no running thing. Foot is much better today, trying to stay off it to not mess things up any more. Mariposai, I'd think your beans will be fine. I planted a 30' long double row of a really neat new bean variety I ordered from Burpee's... Now I'm like MS and worrying that they'll rot cuz it's been so cold! I did put a plastic row cover on them yesterday afternoon, so hopefully that'll help somewhat. Tramps, if you're still thinking of a fall marathon to do... You should know that the Beers are doing Hartford, so if you go you'll finally get to sample some of Lou's brew! I must say that I had one in Boston and thought of you... (it was yummy!) Enke, she's darling. We've gotten all our pets from the shelter, so far so good on health issues. The last two we got (dog and cat) were supposedly full grown, but the dog grew 2" taller after we got her, and the cat is up to 20.5 pounds now!! They're both getting older and the dog is starting to get pretty creaky. That's why looking at Mary's puppies is so fun... Tallrunner is certainly a tall runner. There was a woman here who did Chi running classes... I was interested in the idea, but it just didn't make much sense to me. I'd always heard running should be like riding... my favorite horseback instructor always said to pretend someone had marionette strings tied to your ears and they're pulling you up. Same sort of feeling... Ok, I'm not gonna read about anyone else's runs cuz it just makes me feel bad and mad at my stoopid foot. Sad

King of PhotoShop

Tallrunner is certainly a tall runner. There was a woman here who did Chi running classes... I was interested in the idea, but it just didn't make much sense to me. I'd always heard running should be like riding... my favorite horseback instructor always said to pretend someone had marionette strings tied to your ears and they're pulling you up. Same sort of feeling... (
                    You just reminded me of something. What is the name of that American runner who is Moroccan by birth? His name escapes me. But he said in an article the very same thing. When he runs he envisions a cable that is connected to the top of his head and someone is above him pulling up on it, which mentally forces him to run with good posture. That was a very interesting idea. Spareribs
                      Evanflein and Tramps, I think the Beers are registered for Portland, not Hartford. Ribs, are you thinking of El Gerroauj? Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

3.63 miles this evening. This is shaping up to be a good week and a good month for me for miles. This is good.
                        Vista
                          Or is it Khalid Khannouchi Ribs? Either way, good advice. Great news PDR about your dear old dad. He is amazing and I am thrilled for you and your family that he hasn't finished fighting. Anybody running the Philadelphia marathon (11/23)? My work schedule is such that I can run either a September marathon or a mid to late November marathon. I was a DNF at Philly a few years ago and have a score to settle. Can't decide though! CNYrunner
                            2 easy miles tonight with a few stretches and walk breaks thrown in. I set out tonight feeling pretty good and told my wife I might go 3 to 5 miles and get out the cobwebs. Well I guess I over estimated my recovery because my right calf never would loosen up. I stopped and stretched walked a little and it was still bothering me so I cut it short and will go out tomorrow and try again. On the topic of form, I read the Chi running book last winter and tried a couple of shorter runs using the techniques. It really is a matter of falling forward and it did not take me long to figure out that it was not for me. It stresses all new muscles and I am sure would lead to injury , at least for me, if I would do to much of it. When I first started running I read Galloway's book on running and in the running form section he teaches the exact posture that Tall is demonstrating in his picture. The description was as SR s has described and when I run in front of windows I always check my form as Galloway suggests in that book. I can always tell when I am running correctly though because the weight over my hips balances my upper body and everything can relax with the fluid movement. When I lean to far forward or backward the effort is much harder. That's my unprofessional opinion anyway. Erika, hope the foot heals soon. You run all winter in carpy weather and now that its kinda nice you are sidelined! Bummer. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Mariposai

Ok, I'm not gonna read about anyone else's runs cuz it just makes me feel bad and mad at my stoopid foot. Sad
                              Buttefly hugs to you sistahhhhhhh. Hang in there....you will be out in the road once again very soon. Hey, instead of those LR....we could have another LT(long talk) this weekend again Shocked

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Evanflein and Tramps, I think the Beers are registered for Portland, not Hartford.
                                Yup, Portland next. We probably won't bring any beer out there Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com