Masters Running

Monday 8/25 runs and what not (Read 421 times)

I'm on vacation so there was no way I thought I would be first to post this morning...what's up with that? Confused A very easy 5.02 recovery miles for me today - 46:33 (9:17) Avg HR 115 Max HR 127 - 60 degrees and a very 98 % humidity. Good runs all.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

I'm really late posting and I'm second or so?? WAKE UP EVERYBODY Big grin 2 miles with Tory at 10:15 pace then 4 miles at 8:20 pace with lots of strides

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

dg.

oh thanks guys. I was just waiting for someone to post so that I could. thought I'd wait till I got to work but then I remembered that I still can't do that. Angry I won't be caught up, but don't want to keep getting further behind. Happy vacation, Mainerunnah. Nice runs. Twocat, congratulate your DW on her new distance PR. Enjoy the marathon! (are there clam interviews we could review?) Mary, congratulations on your 41 mile week! How's your calf? Doug, it is so good to hear you reporting runs again. Seems you've zipped back pretty fast. Hey. cool about your Garmin! (I'm just starting on Saturday. backward, as usual) Tall, [quote]Met my soul mate today (and yes I am serious) Love at first sight and we had a lovely time and yes I am taking it slow...[/quote] Oh my. No quite my definition of slow... but I'm hoping the best for you. DH, it just seems right to have you here. I've been missing too, but I saw one of your trademark workout posts the other day, & it made me smile. Thanks for letting us know you'll be away for a few days, so we don't have to wonder if you've disappeared again. Gotta agree about the dumb Olympic interviews. I commented on that one too as we were watching it. good answer you gave in yours. No run today, did about 45 min. of Mark Verstegen's prehab. a gloriously beautiful day here. Anybody need some good weather?

The Jogger

Morning Gang Nice run Bob, enjoy your vacation, Steve do you run slower for Tory and then speed up on your own? Woody run's especially slow for me Smile Went out on the new 5.33 circuit with the 500' climb. The views at the top are worth it. I really loe this route, not to far, not to short, hill up to give me a challenge and down hill for speed and recovery. Part tarmac part trail. Anyway: 5.33m 56:20 @ 10:34 pace AHR 160 77% Good Runs All Roy Edited to say: Morning Debbie and Well done mary on the 41m week, you are doing brilliant!!!!!!
          Tramps

I decided to take the day off, ice, and see where I’m at tomorrow. Oddly, while there’s a twinge in the groin muscle this morning, it’s my knee that really aches. Sad Ribs—of course I remember that earlier “damn dog incident”; I’ve still got the scar to remind me! (And I did intend that tale to be funny even if—unfortunately— it was true.) Tall—careful with that soul mate stuff; haven’t we heard this before? Have fun, though. Roy—that’s quite a hill! ETA: just realized yesterday was my 3rd year running anniversary. Time flies when you're getting old. Smile

Be safe. Be kind.

Renee the dog

Some great running out there this morning. I've not run today yet. Need a little ice here and there -- nothing major just the result of.... having knocked 7 min 17 sec off my 10K PR. Tongue I finished in 54:33 yesterday at the race I wasn't sure I'd run, due to Dad's funeral being the day before. It was the first race I've experienced where the announcements didn't include the reminder to line up according to ability. It was the first time I didn't have to weave and dodge around people and the group seemed to actually line up according to ability! Interesting. Will head out tonight (or perhaps this afternoon) with Renee for an easy 3 miler. Tramps, congratulations on your anniversary. Tall, I love your optimism. It counterbalances my naturally jaded tendencies and makes me smile.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

DickyG

As the Summer Games are now over, we can now look forward to my personal favorite, the Winter Games 2 years from now. Even though I'm from the south, I'm an avid skier & boarder and we take at least one western trip each year as well as frequenting the local resorts in NC, VA, & WVA...and besides that, I love saying the word "luge". Before the next summer games, I think the ROAR committee needs to work on eliminating all the dork stuff we've been talking about and evaluating the merits of some of the sports now being considered for the 2012 Games therein thereof. The proposed list includes: ...Mixed doubles Guitar Hero ...Putt Putt ...Synchronized dodgeball ...Full contact bowling I would also like to see ROAR Eliminate horsie riding and add bull riding. As usual, awesome long runs Sunday: Breger (who claims that 90% humididy isn't all that bad), Timbo (actuall a Saturday run but just as impressive), Maine (top 16-miler...any leftover lasagna?), Karin (18 miles...so what else is new), Peter, Holly (Holly? Yeah, Holly). Jeanne: First of all, very nice 8.5 miler at sub 9:30 pace..that's great.
                my poor DH is last place in the last flight for our local club championship today. I told him there was no where to go but up - enjoy the day, the guys and the golf.
                Here's the thing...one day after I posted one of my typically mediocre 4 mile runs, a great sage by the name of "Twocat" posted that 99.9% of the population were not running 4 miles that day. He's exactly right..I think it's terrific that your DH is competing..so many won't if they think they'll play poorly. I'm a lousy runner, yet I still compete occasionally and still post my runs on this forum. Tomwhite: I did remember something good today..it's your 23rd anniversary of running...wtg. Sarge:
                I think the heat gave an edge to the African runners & they don't need any help.
                Good point...guess who wins Peachtree (July 4...Atlanta) every year....hint...country starts with a "K". Tramps: Well, that really sucks, especially since your workouts have been superb lately. Even with all the bad luck, you still only missed your target by a measly 2 minutes. I'm guessing it's only a slight twinge since you were able to finish....and congrats on 3 years of running. NoNo: WHAT??? A PR by over 7 minutes? Incredible...we're all proud of you. Remember that I said my golf game was back? Forget it...after shooting 71 Saturday, shot 81 yesterday..all the cash I won Saturday is now back in the hands of its rightful owners. Ran 5.2 miles this morning (that's actually my long run for the week) in 48:02 (9:15)...11 seconds slower than last Monday but I only walked 4 times today compared to 6 times last Monday...go figure. DickyG
                  NONO-Nice PR!!! 5 miles with T...7:58 pace and then a nice cooldown walk I'm testing for a new job on Wednesday...wish me luck...
                  Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Edited to say: Morning Debbie and Well done mary on the 41m week, you are doing brilliant!!!!!!
                    Brilliant he says! Boy I love the terminology over there - and I love you too Roy! Wink Deb - my calf is much better. I had to stop 2 miles into my run yesterday for some added stretching, but it seems just fine now. Thanks for asking. Thanks for all the nice comments on my 41 mile week everyone!! Scheduled rest day for me today.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

lamerunner

Rest day here, maybe a swim if time permits... good runs to all.
                        morning everyone!! still need to catch up on the dailies from working all weekend, but want to say CONGRATS to Nonoruns on your PR!! i went out for a run yesterday afternoon but just didn't have anything in the tank: 4.5 miles in 48:10 ended up walking alot and my HR was high thruout 147-175 - not sure if it was the heat, humidity or just nothing left after working 3 nights in a row - probably a combination of all - and on top of it my back is stiff and sore .......... have 4 visits still approved for PT so might call and see if i can go in for a tune-up as far as the work goes i need to somehow make myself get out on those back to back nights even if it's just for a 3 miler because i have a few 3 in a row on my schedule -- tim any advice?? i was so impressed with your 13 miles after a 13 hour work day!! happy monday all!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! I have to share with you a first-day-of-school picture of DD with Dexter (and his bad haircut). Yesterday we went to Kohl’s to return some back-to-school shoes we bought for DS on 7/19. Men’s size 11. Last week when he tried to put them on for the first day of school he found he had already outgrown them. Shocked He’s 11 years old, still only about 5’ tall, but with feet like boats, poor guy. As we were waiting in line, DD gets up on one of those pedestals where the mannequins are standing, and she froze in place. I watched as several people eyed her curiously as they walked by, and finally a young girl walked up closely to examine her. DD suddenly moved, and the girl jumped about a foot. DD was rolling with laughter. That child has a perverse sense of humor. Big grin Erika – I’m worrying a bit about your foot. Here’s some healing vibes for you...{{{{{Erika’s foot}}}}}.... {{{{Tramps’ groin}}}} and congratulations on your runner-versary. Nonoruns – yowza – great job!! Mary – congratulations!! Today’s workout: 2 gentle miles on the treadmill (10:20 pace), followed by shoulder presses, dumbbell curls, dead lifts, weighted squats, glute raises, bent rows, reverse flies, crunches and oblique v-ups. My boss is on vacation in Mexico this week, and we worked like gangbusters before she left to catch everything up, so I’m left with a very quiet work week (assuming no crisis comes in). (...blue jeans and t-shirt, sandaled feet up on desk, music turned up...aahhhhhhh)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly - that's hilarious! (your daughter) Nono - way to kick that old PR's butt! Tall - it is called "hormones", they are messing with your "brain"....all craftily part of the big plan our DNA has for propagating the species. But all joking aside...enjoy your new love. It was a heavy downpour yesterday at 5pm so I went to the gym. Did 6 miles slow on the TM, then noticed the doppler radar weather map looked like the rain had passed so I went outside. It was still raining, but in manageable quantities. Did 3 lovely rain soaked miles in mild 70F. It felt wonderful until my ankle/shin started to exponentially hurt. I thought if I continued my tibia would snap. I stopped to walk and when I started up again, pain just kind of went away. Weird. 9 miles total.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

My DW and I watched our DVRd version of the men's marathon yesterday so today I can actually read yesterday's daily thread! Great race. Can you imagine breaking the old Olympic record and coming in SECOND! Shocked Boy that has to be frustrating! Still what an achievement just to be able to run in the Olympics let alone get a medal of any type. biketm I have never heard of anybody so sensitive to their heart beat. Great that you got in a 20 miler on Saturday and then some more miles yesterday. Holly S. great double digit run yesterday! Sounds like if you are not 100% at this point you are really close! Nice workout today as well. Spareribs I suspect the bronze medalist will, ahmm, get over his disappointment at his team mate's bonking and losing the bronze to him. I know I would! Big grin DickyG congratulations on your 5.2 today. You are right, to all who post here, it is always worth remembering what any of us may call a "mediocre" run whether it be as few as 3 or 4 miles almost everybody else would view as a major achievement! My DW's niece is totally bowled over by the thought that she agreed to run 5 miles this Thanksgiving! Imagine that, and here you are doing that distance just as part of your routine. Good job. breger1 nice double digit run yesterday as part of international long run day, otherwise known as Sunday. Jlynne good to hear that your PF seems to be cooling itself off enough that you feel confident enough to start increasing your miles. Just be really careful with PF. By the way, I find losing weight to be really tough! The large swing I reported for last week had more to do with a short weight upswing than anything else. If I pig out one day and then crash diet the next the additional weight comes right off. On the other hand if over the next couple of days I eat normally the weight settles in somehow and then I am lucky to take off a pound a week. The only thing I can think of is that over a single day the weight does not have time to turn to fat so it is easier to drop. But, I am just making this up I really have no idea why. rochrunner a negative split run always leaves me happy too! tomwhite 23rd overall running anniversary or just 23rd running in among the trails in your area? Also, how did you remember the first one being in August 1985 have you had a log since the start? If so, I am really impressed! perchcreek glad to see somebody else missing that Sunday is international long run day! Wink Nice 6 today. nonoruns knocked 7 min 17 sec off your 10K PR! WAY TO GO! Now where are those confetti throwing smiles when you need them? Congratulations! Sarge nice run with your DW. I also agree that the US marathon runners will be more competitive in the years to come. Tramps that dog incident has to hurt! So sorry to hear it happened to you. But you did the right thing to more or less give up on the race. As I found out the hard way this spring if something hurts it is better to deep six the race than find yourself on DL for the next two months. Hopefully the ice and ibuprofen will cure it in a just a few days. Good luck with it all. dg. sorry winter running sucks there is nothing to be done about it. Tongue Running by a river sounds great. WRFB the 9.1 yesterday will certainly help keep you ahead of the dreaded pink bunny! Spareribs dude how do you remember details like what somebody posted years ago on CR? Shocked hopeful4ever your first week in the 40/40 club! Congratulations! Keep it up! Now, of course, we expect to see you regularly in the thread. Smile mainerunnah nice 16 miler yesterday and a good recovery run today. CNYrunner really you have to quit all this running before the New Haven 20K. It is for your own good! Big grin Great 18 yesterday in that I strongly suspect your idea of "plodding" is most people's idea of "race pace." lyndenrunner when it rains there is not much you can do. Good that you manged 6 yesterday and 5 today. Also, good luck with the test for the job. wildchild congratulations on passing the 30 mile mark this week. Good luck in making it to 40 as your next goal! What you have not made that a goal? Confused Hmm, have to do something about that. Big grin Peter NC nice double digit run for you yesterday. evanflein careful with that foot! Good idea to skip the extra two miles too. I hope your foot is ok. You are certainly doing the right thing to get it better. Tallrunner lol what a run yesterday! Shhh, just do not tell your coach and all will be well! Hmm, be careful with that "love at first sight" thing. There are a lot of divorces at "second sight" out there that spring from such initial encounters. But, I hope it does work out at second sight. I am sure that if you go slow like you plan to you will find out for sure. Dark Horse I am pretty sure everybody is happy to have you back and hopes the forum does motivate you to get out and run! Mariposai Told you to go running while they got dinner ready!? Can we trade families? Clowning around SteveP hope your 5K went well. The Jogger that is one tough 5 mile course you have there! A 500' climb! Shocked deez4boyz I still have no idea how you put in those shifts. Good run yesterday -- see DickyG's post if you have any doubts! Twocat today Pfitz had on my schedule a 15 mile run with 12 at MP. My hope is to break 3:20 in NY in November so that means a 7:38 pace. Given the Garmin's tendency to measure long I figured that to be safe I need to be ready to run a 7:30 on it so that was the goal. While I was at it I also figured I better be able to pull it off on my relatively hilly route. (Editor: Hilly by say Wildchild standards? Twocat: What are you nuts! Of course not! Still total uphill for the run was about 400' so not bad.) I had two pretty good incentives to make the pace. The easy one to drop was simply that it was my goal. The better one was an approaching line of thunderstorms! I tell you there is nothing like the thought of pouring rain and lightening to keep you motivated. Big grin The good news was I made with 12.08 miles @ 7:29. I am really happy about that and the fact that I did not feel like dropping dead at the end. Ok, maybe into a coma but not dead. So I will gladly take it. Hay, I have to make it at least somewhat challenging for CNYrunner to blow by me next Monday. Wink Good runs all

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Good Morning All! I did my 26.2 yesterday at the Redmond Watershed Marathon. It was a really slow training run on a rolling trail. I didn't even bother checking the finish time, over 5h..! It was a loop to be repeated 3 times. I got lost several times and had to back track , I stopped a few other times to wait for another of the few other runners to double check...I even detoured to the car at one point to change clothes and get a snack. I met, chatted with and ran with several MM and that was great fun and the heavy downpour started after I was done. Off to work now , I'll try to go out for a few extra slow miles later on. ...and Tet...we missed you!!! Francesca