Masters Running

Saturday, August 2nd - another weekend is here (Read 414 times)

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Good luck mainerunnah on the 10k! After a fun night with my sons including playing Rock Band on stage at an event at 2am, I dragged my butt out of bed for a 7:30 club run. I got there just in time :-P I pushed the eight miles pretty hard, well under the planned marathon pace. I felt great afterwards and have been grooving on the endorphins all morning :-) We'll see how the legs after 18 miles tomorrow!
    -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
    also on Twitter

I Can Go The Distance

{{{{Ribs}}}}We are thinking about you and praying for you. Hope all is still going well. Saint make sure you take care of yourself as well. Bill:Correct me if I am wrong but did you not sneak a race report into the daily thread? You are lucky Ribs was not here to see that. He would have fined you. Shocked Mainerunnah Good luck in your 10k today. You may have already finished when you read this. I did a 13 mile LR run today. My time was 2:06:04 a 9:42 pace. That is the good news. The bad news is that I totally bonked on the wave run. Because there are really no flat courses here where I live, most of my runs go over rolling hills. Going downhill my half mile times were too fast and coming uphill they were too slow. Does anyone else have this problem with wave runs? I am thinking about doing tempo runs with my long run instead of wave runs; 4 miles to warm up, then a 4 mile tempo run, then 4 miles easy pace and 1 mile to cool down. Have a great weekend everyone and good luck to all those who are racing. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Two easy miles for me this morning in cooler weather. Yea...but in all honesty as was pointed out, better hot and drippy than in the single digits in the winter. As I do not have a treadmill and do not belong to a gym, I battle through both and am just glad I can run and continue to enjoy it. My kids came home from a week and a half with grandparents a day early...yea! I was very pleased to see them. Now we get to start thinking about school and the Iowa State Fair...which is quite an event for the locals here. I was never much of a fair person growing up in South Dakota, but there are native Iowans that now live out of state that come home just for the fair here. I guess, when in Rome.... Hope that Spareribs is recovering well. Susan - congrats on the longest run this year. I've yet to run 9 miles and it'll be awhile before I do. I'm impressed! Craneium - Happy Anniversary! Happy Weekend All,Janet
        pfriese

Good afternoon runners, I was up and out by 5:30 this morning to make it across town to run with the OKC running club around a lake on the opposite side of the city. This run is one of the hiller routes for OKC, so a nice change of pace from the flatlands on my side of town. Anyways, one loop around the lake for 14 miles in a shade over 2 hours 15 minutes. Running early we were able to beat the heat but not the humidity (80 degrees/80% humidity). After returning home, youngest DD wanted to go for a short bicycle ride, so we loaded up and rode 14 miles around the lake on our side of town. Now it's time for a quick dip in the pool and then to some lawn mowing before we crack the triple digits here. Have a great weekend, Paul

Top 'O the World!

It's not afternoon yet here in the Mile High City...but it's already 95 degrees in the shade....at least there's no humidity to speak of..... 10.12 energyless miles on minorly crunchy foot.... Tongue
            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
              9 miles with Coach...7:24 pace...feelin' great the whole way...
              Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                Goals: 1 - Have fun 2 - Finish feeling good 3 - 41:02 or better 4 - 39:59 - probably not gonna happen but hey an outside chance!
                OK I have three grandkids at the house so just a quick note to let you know the results: 1 - Had a ball 2 - Finished feeling great 3 - 40:52 PR ! Big grin 4 - Not there yet but I'm getting there and this was the best I've ever felt at the finish of a 10K etc. I'll post a full RR later but I have to get cleaned up and we are taking the kiddies out for dinner...salad and pizza at Pizza Hut...I'm hungry too! Wink
                TammyinGP

went out for a long run this a.m., wasn't quite sure what I'd do but was hoping between 10-12. Without a Garmin or premapping out my route, it's mostly guesswork. I was out for 1:56:00, so I figured about 11 miles. 11 slow miles. About 3 miles of that were some pretty steep hills, so I know that slowed me down. Had to eat some sweet and juicy blackberries along the way, so I know that slowed me down. Had to stop and look at the family of deer, one being a newborn fawn, nibbling along the roadside, so I know that slowed me down. Got home, measured my route. 9.8 miles. Undecided I don't think I've ever run such a slow pace! Guess all those "slow me downs" slowed me down more than I thought. BUT, it was a lovely run, puffy clouds in the sky, nice cool breeze, lots of wildlife and a very scenic run, so no complaints from me.

Tammy

Tammy, not sure which site you are using to map your run, but when I used USATF, I knew, just knew I was running faster than that. Once I got the Garmin, I confirmed that my maps would be about 10% off, because you can't really get all the turns mapped right. So, maybe you did 11, not 9.8! Did 6.15 miles today, o/a 10:21 pace. Although it was only 60F, the humidity seemed high and I was sweating real good. Stopped to eat blackberries but they were still not ripe. Threw in two faster segments for fun. 0.86 mile @ 8:08 pace 1.0 mile @ 8:56 pace (a long slow incline...about 100ft in the mile) Then 45 minutes on the stationary bike. Then 500 feet of climb on the treadmill, walking at 10% incline @ 3.4mph. Getting ready for that trail race next weekend. Nice PR mainerunnah! I liked how you wrote down your goals before the race for everyone to see. That takes guts. And Breger too! Nice 5K with excellent pacing...even if not a PR.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I won't wait for the RR, Mainerunnah--that's a smoking 10K, especially with the humidity. Sounds like you had a ball on top of it. Enjoy your pizza! Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Great job, Mainerunnah! Wasn't that a fun race? We sure got lucky with the weather. Did you notice that it was hard to see the lighthouse through the fog? I got a PR, also, but a little slower than you! 2007: 1:19:08 250/271 4588/4839 2008: 1:09:02 240/299 4529/5248 My goal was just to run the entire way, since my running has been inconsistent due to my ankle. I ran 10K on flat trails two weeks ago in 1:15, so I didn't expect much. I was very happy with my time! If I can stay healthy, next year should be much faster - under an hour? I had to cajole my running partner into entering the race, but afterwards she said, "Do we have to wait a whole year to run that race again?" It really is an amazing race - beautiful scenery, an impressive field of elite runners, and enthusiastic spectators. Smile
                          Great job Mainerunnah and Teresa! Two new PRs---hot stuff! Karin

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tammy, what a delightful run regardless of the exact distance... Mainerunah and Teresa, great great job!!! LOL, thanks Bruce... now you can recieve the RATH of Ribs for not sticking to the game plan, instead of me....hope you figure out your run routes....just messing with ya bro.... 11 miles today in old shoes with over 500 miles on them (if you haven't seen my post, I bought bad shoes which messed me up big time) but have new and different shoes coming soon...Brooks Adrenaline. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

evanflein

Teresa that's a 10 minute PR! That's huge! on a 10k??!! Wow, excellent job there. Mainerunnah nice race for you too. A PR for you is hard to get cuz you're fast all the time. Sub 40 minute 10k is not far out of reach for you...(or is it just on this course? I remember you saying it's not an easy course so not sure if that's a course PR or a 10k PR for any course?) Byll had a good race too. I don't know how you guys race in those temps/humidity levels... Tammy, I'm sure it was closer to 11. Enke's right. And you two with your blackberries.... yum! I'm usually stopping for blueberries about now but it's been such a cold summer they're few and far between... and not very ripe. I was tired and cranky when I got home yesterday. Was torn between wanting to get out for an easy 3 miler or taking my first rest day since July 11. As soon as I got home I got busy with "stuff" around the house and then that bottle of chilled sauvignon blanc started calling me... and well, that sort of decided it. Oh well. My foot wanted the break, I could tell. So DH and I went to a couple of the "First Friday's" art gallery shows in town, then we went to the opening night of our local fair... a friend of ours was opening for the comedy act and we wanted to see that. Fair food (seafood pitas and Indian frybread tacos for dinner... yum!), hot kettle corn, visiting with lots of friends we don't see often... Oy. Some rest day. Still, we were in bed before midnight which isn't bad for me. And then.... 8k race this morning with a 36:40 time, good for a 30 second PR! One mile easy warmup before hand, then 5 miles at 8:24 avg pace to finish up my 10 for the day... oops, it was 11. Now I get to do housework and a little gardening if the rain will stop for a bit...
                              evanflein

...Going downhill my half mile times were too fast and coming uphill they were too slow. Does anyone else have this problem with wave runs...
                                Bruce, all the time! That's the real problem I have with wave runs... by the time I'm supposed to do a HM pace mile, I'm facing some pretty long hills even if they may not be steep. So, I've almost given up on it unless I find a relatively flat stretch and just go back and forth on that. I like the 3:1 faster finish long runs better anyway. (but I do see the real value of the "wave run" approach, it's just hard to do if you live in a hilly area)