Masters Running

40s 50s 60s and Beyond On the Run - w/e 09/05/09 (Read 503 times)

Don't let go of your dreams. If you have determination and belief in your dreams, you will succeed in spite of your desire to let go.  (Catherine Pulsifer - Author)

Welcome to a new week.

Arla - Burpees - I keep forgetting about those on my xt days . . . maybe on purpose?

Joe - Have fun with the speed work.  I usually start my speed workouts cursing them, but end up feeling good at the end.

Huge wave to everyone else.

Emailed Coach and told him about my run yesterday, and he said no workout today, I slept in 'til about 8:30 this morning, which rarely ever happens, and it felt really good.  I'm still really tired, but it was a relief to know I didnt' have to get up and run.  The Hub, who was suppose to be gone 'til Monday but came home last night, as me what I had planned for today.  As I was sitting on my duff in our oversized chair at the time, I said, "Yer lookin' at it," and except for watering, I don't plan on doing anything.  Except maybe napping, which sounds really good right now.

Also just got a phone message from my boss.  I had asked for Monday off since I was so damm tired on Friday, to which he had said yes as he was heading off for a massage.  Now he wants me to come in to work on getting the office set up.  So much for my planned day of some much needed flowerbed work.  I'm trying really hard not to be PO'd at the request, but considering how bad I feel right now, it's a losing battle.  I'll go in tomorrow, but I won't be happy about it, and I'm done lugging around boxes.

Hope you all are enjoying your Sunday.  I'm off to do some napping.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hey folks.

Please forgive my absence from this nice group of runners.  I've become sidetracked withe othr stuff.....nearly as enjoyable as this forum, but in a different sort of way.  Mrsday and I have been sprucing up the inside of the house with fresh paint, trim, doors, accessories etc.  Mrsday say's we've been stuck in a time warp!  She says we're still in the 1980s.

We've also been helping evryothrday's gf family with a huge garage sale and stuff as they are moving a few towns over.  Ontop of that, evoth has moved back to stillwater and we helped with that too.  Oh yeh, and the day job.....   (OK.....I did take some time to watch some preseason football)

This is a bunch of stuff, but notice I didn't list any running.  That will come.

We're still in the middle of the house thing, but I missed you folks here on the forum and wanted to take some time and say hi.  I've briefly skimmed the last 2 weeks of threads.....wow, you all have been busy! 

See you later, friends.

"Just put on your shoes and get out the door."

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

Morning Kids-

Yea Leslie- sounds like you're working/working out too hard.It's easy to gauge with this stuff.I have a simple little flow chart - "Is it still fun?" If yes, go run.If no, rest up. Easy enough and don't get down about it. You do soooo much more working out than most of the population so look at the positive!

Hey Ev!- we're happy to see you,running or not.Good luck with your extensive "honeydo" list. And your wife is right (aren't they always?) the 80's is so well, 80's now.So get over it. Football season is fast approaching.It's that time of year where my brain is conflicted with not wanting the summer to be over,but can't wait for football. My Giants are not looking good either.Can anyone catch a football?These receivers can't even catch a cold!

Arla- I see a lot of weekenders too.I guess it's better than nothing for them. Is it still smoking hot for you?Did I mention our son is pre-med?Might be asking for advice down the line.Good going on the burpees,this week I try them out!

Hi to everyone who's around.

Shipped kid number three off to college yesterday. Bittersweet as we're happy to get him going,but a little sad/apprehensive too. It will all work out fine I'm sure and he's not far from home.Buddy's like "hey,where did everyone go?Just me and the cat at home?"

Good w/e running for me. My marathoning friend is going for #10 for him,and I'm mimicking ( a lot slower of course) his trainining sked which includes 2 speed workouts a week.Hope I survive!

Queen of 3rd Place

Hi Ev! Sounds like you've found yourself a little cross-training program there. You're right, the running will come.

Leslie - can't believe your boss changed his mind about Monday. Sorry, but was an a**...  Guess all you can do is grit your teeth...

Joe - I'll be curious to hear what you think about the burpees. They have really humbled me, which is ok.

Still good and hot around here, looks like a cooling trend coming. Went with a friend for a short little trot last night at 9:15 pm and it was still in the 90s! I'm going to freeze at Disneyland!

Arla

Ex runner

Welcome back, Ev.  Hey, I gotta honey do list, too.  Can I talk ya into helping??

Joe - Good luck with the new training schedule.  I think you'll like the speed work.  And pre-med for you DS - good for him!

Arla - 90 at 9:00 pm? Ugh!  Come up here to El Foggo and we'll get you cooled off.  It's been ridiculously foggy for over a week now.

Went in to work this a.m., albeit begrudgingly, but I reluctantly have to admit it'll be nice not going in to that mess on Thursday.  I lifted one box and promptly scheduled a massage for late in the afternoon.  Boy howdy did it feel good!  I also feel like I may have gotten some oompf back after two days of rest.  Tomorrow morning will tell the tale.  Also  tomorrow I start my new job.  Think I'll start off on the right foot if I bring in a box of fattening goodies??

Howdy Doody to everyone else!

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Uuuhhmm burpees.....hmmm, next week ~ maybe!

HEY~!!!  How IS everybody?    miss me?  I missed YOU!!

I tired!!.... but it's a good thing   will get on with the reading up on every-body's activities a.s.a.p.....  Got back down from crewing the TransRockiesRun on Saturday afternoon (lots to read on the website & a few YouTube videos if you wanna check) ...spent 10 crazy-busy-incredibly-fun days/nights up in the Divide for that! 500ish peeps btwn runners & crew from 10 different countries. I had "captain" on my ID badge for Control Station #1 & M.T. team....AND I took Mairead w/me~ Mostly had beeeoootiful weather!  took my running gear with me but,.....lets just say, "not happnin'"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMEHYJTsz7Q&feature=related    Day 2 of the race! He had his tooth put back in including a root canal in Leadville & then (I believe) won the 3rd stage the next day!  Lots of links & photos....the "Run" is a different event from the bicycle (also awesome) event, which takes place in Canada a week apart.

Now, I didn't make into many of the videos...what was kept anyway! & lemme tell ya, lots is cut to make it publicly viewable!  .... this group has sooo much fun that the videographers end up cutting 99% of it! & the only way to see the biggest share of it is to be present for dinner after each stage each day. But they uploaded updates every single evening so, Doug was able to follow the race progress daily, even while I was effectively out of cell range! 

This thing is flat amazing!!! To be able to work with & hang out with these people for a full week is just pure joy & adrenaline.

I crewed last year too. Newbie to this then, I just went where I was sent - except for the massage tent, which I helped set up due to the hired team no-showing on day 1! So this year, I was somewhat integral in the planning & set-up of some of it....recruited 15 therapists & was put in charge of one of the control/aid stations....as well as the general running about "gopher" chores to getting to Day 1.  There's alot to do to move camp & the race stations every day! Starting with picking up all of the working trucks & RV's & athletes from the airports, etc & getting everything/everybody 2.5 hrs up from Denver to Buena Vista. Now, the 'smart' athletes actually came in a few days to a week earlier to hang out @ elevation & acclimate. Or, should I say, the "lucky" athletes were able to do that!  Paid staff started arriving on Tues. 18th, which meant they had a whopping 2 days btwn closing out the Canadian bicycle race & getting down to CO to start setting this one up! I didn't make it up till Thurs night late - later than planned due to Enterprise 'misplacing' my truck! Bright & early (ish) Friday am, 5 of us took said truck on a reverse tour of the "road-able" sections of the race course for the week...including dinner & changing a flat tire @ "Top of the World" this took us till approx 8pm. Being late on Thurs. meant that Saturday was a flat dead run!! 200 tents to set up, crew to feed, tire to have repaired (in Buena Vista!? on a Saturday!?!? are you kidding?) Get all the trucks re-packed with correct gear, get everybody "registered", start line set up, course marked (can only do that one day in advance & MUST be taken down immediately following last runner per forest service) part of course logistics were influenced by nearly overlapping Leadville Trail 100 - which had a potential course modification due to helicopter crash investigation site on Mt Massive! (four young soldiers died in that )  Went through a lot of radio batteries on Friday!!  We did have some people who were attending to both races! Usually they're not on top of each other.  This level of activity settled down for most of the set-up crew after the first stage started, but not for all of us. I ate like a fiend & still lost 2 lbs over the week! 

The "Family Reunion" started on Thursday for me. Seeing all the returning crew & runners - some of last year's crew were running this year, some of last year's runners were crewing this year. No matter how you slice it, a full week, 113 miles is huge commitment! Both stated that running it is easier than crewing it....

I wouldn't know - yet!

Apparently didn't think that was enough to do so, Doug & I  signed up for a 5K, complete w/volunteering to police the beer tent () & tear down afterwards for the same evening that I got back from Beaver Creek....actually, I got into town about 3pm - race start 5pm! Doug came straight from work! He did a 7:45 pc, I did a 10:38 ....not my brightest maneuver!  But lotsa fun! It was the Skirtchaser 5K....the wimmin get a 3 min head start....1st one across the finish line wins $500 cash! Been "a skirt" winning it the last 7 races! Nicole DeBoom, of Boulder, CO - the founder of SkirtSports & the race is a triathlete who had several friends running the TransRockies....

Rest day (yah right!) on Sunday....23 miler on Monday...not too awful bad, but even more tired today....still trying to catch up on all the laundry (I provided extra table & support linens for a few) & find my house back from chucking all the gear outta the truck in order to drop it off enrt the 5K....possibly have more guests arriving Sat pm for the Labor Day weekend.....it just never ends I tell ya!

Speaking of laundry.....

Later Gators!

Cindy

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Welcome back, Cindy.  And of course we missed you.  All I can say about your activities is WOW!  I'm looking forward to checking out some of the YouTube stuff when I get a chance.

Did 5 miles this a.m. with 10 hill sprints after 30 mins.  It's amazing how two days' rest can change things.  I could still feel a bit of the tiredness, but nothing like last week, thank goodness.

And today I started my new job and got my asking price.  No, it wasn't in the bag before I got here, but I wasn't too worried about it.  It'll take me a bit to get up to speed because, as with most offices, they do things differently here than I do at my other job.  Some of it I don't understand as it seems more difficult, but I can't start imposing my ways just yet.  But hey - give me time.

Chat with ya'll later!

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey Leslie, thanks for getting us going.  Sounds like you have the order right on that job....get the pay in line, THEN get the people and processes in line   Sounds like that massage was just what the dr ordered!

Hey Ev, sounds like you have some serious cross moving and cross remodeling going on there.  Make sure you let Mrs. Day do it to it w/ the accessories.  That's where it's at!

Joe, have fun keeping up with Mr 10 marathons!  That will soon be you Smile.  Proud papa you must be of those boys!

Hey Arla, is Disneyland this weekend?  Tapering?

Cindy, I'll add to Leslie's "Wow" with a "Woweee!"  Sounds like an absolute blast.  Buena Vista and surrounding areas are so beautiful.  Last time I was there it was fall and the aspens were turning.  My mom thinks I was conceived in Twin Lakes (sorry TMI), so maybe why I'm so drawn to the area.  Awesome place to have a great time! 

Still in recovery mode from the cold that zapped me last week, and pretty much slept off an on all weekend.  Just as I'm about ready to start gearing back up the activity level..... yesterday the interment ceremony for a good friend's father-in-law, and today an early morning call from my 90 y/o father-in-law, who was having extreme vertigo....he almost fell but fortunately the wall caught him.  I had deferred my jury duty not knowing if I'd feel up to it, and it's a good thing so I could help him and take him in to the doc and run errands for him today.  Meanwhile, neglecting my job, and hoping my very understanding boss continues to be understanding.  I don't know if any of this counts as cross training, but it will have to do for now.

Progress Trumps Pefection

Queen of 3rd Place

Cindy! Too cool, that looks like so much intense fun! Checked out the video, funny how there are just good folks having a great time at any running event, even the lead guys in a tough multi-day race like that. Those two seemed so relaxed and fun-loving! Great!

Leslie - rest...funny how that can work sometimes...now...get back to work! I guess this means you're done with the move?

Carol  - you hang in there with that family stuff. It's so hard to take care of older parents (including in-laws, in your case), don't forget yourself in all of it!

Ha - I'm not tapering for the Disney HM, this will be just another fun run. A bunch of us will be in costume (not really my idea, but what the heck) - I'll be the White Rabbit (one pill makes you smaller...oops...never mind), Sue will be Alice, Big Jim (and I mean big, he's a 6'4" beefy fire-fighter) will be the Mad Hatter, and Monica, coming in from Switzerland, is trying to put it together to be the Queen of Hearts. We'll be joined by a few others...even those who wimped out (Marc and Katie won't run because they're trying to get pregnant - not sure how that precludes running ...ok maybe that can cut into your running hours  ) we've all somehow become this "where shall we all go run next time?" crowd...I'm not sure how this has developed, but it sure is fun!

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

Good Morning!

Yes Arla, I think it is...the athletes get some great relaxation time too...& I guess, many of the volunteers do too...the rest of us are making sure the athletes get some great relaxation time  ... some of the amenities that may not be totally obvious: besides the volunteers/staff who move camp every day - Salomon (sponsor) relaxation station (chairs, beers, etc), quality catering, massage therapists, medical team support complete w/P.T.'s, a very nice shower truck that traveled with us, plenty & well stocked/maintained portapotties, RV accomodations for those who want them + volunteers to move the things for you every day, well stocked aid stations, photographers/videographers on the entire course recording, editing, assembling.... electronic start/finish lines w/chip timing....love the swag almost every day! Not sure how these guys (owners) aren't going broke, they give away so much swag!!   & I got invited to the Canadian bike event next year! They must like my work!  Wonder what I gotta do to take Mairead?  she had such a good time @ this one:  claiming "pack members" (she leans against ppl), looking for "her ppl" every am around breakfast, hanging out under the massage tables, (aid stations were a little scarey), even tried running out w/the runners one morning - I had the photographers help me catch her! lol!  

Still gotta go back & read last week's thread....I am such a slacker!  

5.16 recovery miles this am...@ 12:36 pc....took almost 3 miles for the stiffies to go away...then I thought to just be smart (ha!) & keep it down for today... 

Ciao!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Hi Folks-

Cindy- that sounds awesome! I know the LV100 was extremely hot, was your race too? It sounds incredible with that distance and the altitude and scenery and such! Come home and reel off a race and a 23 miler to boot!

Leslie- Good luck with the new job. See that, some rest can do a body good. My friend Kevin the marathoner is doing the Bizz Johnson and I remarked how you thought it was a boring course. He agrees. He's going for a PB on this his 10th marathon,so a flat straight course agrees with him.

Carol- glad you're feeling better and good luck dealing with the older folks.The bright side is that you skirted jury duty for now.You'll get back to the training soon I'm sure.

Arla- Best of Luck on your half,that sounds like fun! White Rabbit costume sounds like a furry hot box to run in! Make sure you hydrate for that. Regarding your friends trying to get pregnant , as long as they don't block the course.....

First time in a long time with an early morning run for me. Want to get used to it again for my upcoming marathon(s).In addition to my Oct 18th, I signed up for a return trip to the Philadelphia Marathon on Nov 22nd. If all goes well, I'll hit the 2,000 mile mark for the year this week !

Top 'O the World!

pssst...popping back in briefly.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prbWzAp9CXw&feature=related  for Arla!

Joe:  Nope, not hot at all by my perceptions...don't think we ever broke 80* & most mornings started mid-upper 30's...although, at that elevation you are certainly closer to the sun so, 70* feels warmer than it is - sorta...in fact, weather data for the Leadville Traill 100 showed a max temp of 77* & scattered pm showers....  I was one of the few who was running about w/o a jacket for much of the early/late day

flatland mountaineer

Hi guys and gals, took 4 days off last week and went to the mountains, no runs but did some killer hikes including one 10.5 hour boulder hopping slog up chaos canyon in rmnp to about 11,500 feet, and some heavy duty scrambling and class 3 and class 4+ climbing. Lynda brought the pup up for the weekend and she had a ball at the dog park and on one dog friendly summit hike, even though I ended up carrying her part of the way down.

Hopefully more later if I get caught up. Trying to get to the bottom of my desk today and thought I would swing by.

Glacial knob we climbed and down climbed the face in the pic. We had to go thru this secret tunnel to get down, kinda scary.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

Heh. I like the Woodstock version better. She's my all-time favorite female rock vocalist.

Joe! -  we have our first 2,000 miler for the year! WOOT! And nearly back-to-back marathons - not quite Maniac stuff, but STILL

I got an echocardiogram today, finally got tired of hearing "oh, you passed out while running, you should get an echo and maybe a Holter", even though that was last fall and nothing has happened since...OK already. The technician said I had a "pretty little heart" (with a Southern twang), and also a "generous right heart", which she said she sees in athletes and, interestingly, professional singers (she was talking about the right ventricle, I presume). I was hoping the cardiologist would order the stress echo (my regular physician said I would "break their machine" - he has an inflated opinion of my fitness level), but no ceegar.

Arla

Ex runner

Okay - There's some great stuff posted today.

Arla and her  costumes (most definitely will have to post pics), pretty little heart, and a proud physician

Joe and his very soon 2,000 YTD.  Woot Woot!

Farmer Jim and his incredible hiking (including dog carrying - now that's classic).

Cindy and her - well, Cindy's life in general.

Carol recovering from being sick.  Hope the FIL is going to be okay.  Be sure to take care of yerself, too.

Me - Well, I did 35 min of cycling to "The Gladiator," then completed a little over an hour of upper/lower strength training and core.  I completely forgot about the burpees until I was doing my core exercises, and, well, by then it was just too late. (It ain't a lie if you believe it.)

Arla, yes, the other office got completely moved.  I told my boss to get his son in there to move all the closed files boxes to storage 'cause I was DONE hefting stuff around.  Hopefully they'll all be gone by the time I get in there tomorrow.  Won't have Internet access tomorrow at work (whatever shall I do?!?) and have a meeting after work, so I'm not sure if I"ll be able to check in tomorrow or not.  You all will be able to get along fine without me, though, right?  Yeah, I didn't think so.

Later ~

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance