Masters Running

Moving on to Monday 12/10/18 (Read 43 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Here she is....

Image may contain: dog, outdoor and nature

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Good job, Holly

Here she is....

Image may contain: dog, outdoor and nature

FWIW, I see it.

You've got good eyes too, Tramps

ps runr-nut, er, runr-acorn - check out the prices on squirrel corn-on-the-cob, korn kernals, mushed insects,

sunflower seeds, etc and save some of those acorns for those of us without pets, nearby kids,

grandkids, etc. who have to suffice with the squirrels to keep us company through the winter.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

...yeah, my pic was there, then it wasn't.........Spooky, man........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Cute dog Holly and Stumpy!!

Yesterday 1.5 miles before work - had an easy day at work which was a nice change!!

Today - great checkup from my PCP

10 min rower, 30 min strength and core, 9 mile run - lots of rolling hills and the most distance I've done in awhile!!

Looking forward to my 90 minute massage tomorrow!!

denise

mrrun

looks like Maggie is ready to run up spacity's hills!

steve - thanks for all the awesome starts - quite understandable even batman needs a break

and henrun was given the ok to wash dishes (altho the doc was hesitant because henrun pays his bills)

some number of power walking miles at different times

does anyone have a good, easy recipe for smoothies - high in calories is good?

mta: Henry's iPad doesn't see the pics while my MacBook does

evanflein

Hello all, feels like I'm mostly done catching up. Read all the threads going back to Thursday and sad to say I don't remember enough specifics to comment. But I will say I never thought of Die Hard as a Christmas movie!

Stumpy, that article was good but those of us in the Interior have to chuckle at them calling the temps in late fall "bitterly cold". Heh, Anchorage doesn't really know what "bitterly cold" means and when they were working on the roads it was 20's and 30's. Pretty balmy, actually. And the reflective sparkly gritty stuff in the lane markings isn't for traction, good grief no. It's actually kind of slick on the striped parts. It's to reflect headlights so to better see the lines in the dark. We don't have those little in-pavement reflective thingies I see in many other states. They wouldn't survive one of our plow passes! But anyway, yes it's a good description and Alaska has learned a lot since 1964 and our building codes are ready for such an event. Now if we can just get Anchorage to stop building developments in filled-in wetlands with unstable soils.

Couldn't see the pictures of Maggie till Holly posted. She is a cutie! And what self-respecting hound wouldn't love to roll in road-kill? Geez.

Brian really swam 2.5 miles last week? Or is that swimmed?  Either way, I just can't imagine.

We got an earlier flight from Seattle so got home around 11:30 instead of 2:30 a.m., which was nice. Quick drive home with no traffic and all the lights going our way. Went through the mail quickly, cleaned out the suitcase and headed to bed by 1:30, an hour before our original flight would've landed! And I had arranged to take today off anyway, so will work from home a bit but mostly catching up with stuff. And making amends with the cat.

Race went well, better than expected. But dang it was chilly with that wind, and it wasn't even bad! I ran it with a friend from home who is hell bent to collect all 50 states in sub-4 hour runs, and lately she's been gritting out 3:57 times and Saturday was no different. She's only got 13 to go, and finds flat or downhill runs to do to make her goal. Whatever. I just like to get the marathon done and see the state, and if I can do that by running a hilly, challenging course then so be it. Like my New Mexico run around a caldera at 9,000 to 11,000 feet. I wouldn't run a flat road race instead of that one for anything. But, we all have our "thing" to accomplish and this is hers so more power to her. We both took 2nd in our age groups, which was cool for a very competitive field. I'll try to get a race report done, although I'm not very good at that. It's all I can do to post the event to Facebook. 

And no, I don't tell anyone around here about my marathons or training unless they ask, and then I just say the bare minimum. Figure it's my thing and really not much of their business. My mom didn't even realize I was out of town. And I just get tired of the stupid comments about ruining my knees or someone's cousin running a 10k marathon.

Sorry to see you leave my time zone, Erika. And maybe this video is about you?   Woman runs marathon without telling anyone

No workouts today since I had a dr appointment to figure out what's going on with my blood pressure lately (increasing). He wants to take it gradual by increasing my current dosage a touch and if that doesn't work, adding another med. I've been in denial for a while about this and finally decided to talk to him about it...

Looking back at my event on Saturday, it struck me that I've passed an invisible line of some sort. When they handed out awards, they started with the kids first, and of course the youngsters all got extra applause from everyone. From there on, it settled down into typical applause for the various AGs. Then, when they got to the 70+ AG, there was extra applause from everyone again. Are we now at the point where it's more about our age than our running? 

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

neat post.

Welcome back.

It probably took longer to read four-and-a-half days of posts than to run your marathon.

I just like to get the marathon done and see the state, and if I can do that by running a hilly, challenging course then so be it. Like my New Mexico run around a caldera at 9,000 to 11,000 feet.

No wonder you'll probably remember each and every one

when you get done instead of just that you did it.

My mom didn't even realize I was out of town.

Me too. Even now, though DW and the kids know I love to run marathons,

especially since I don't do any regular, dedicated training running,

not even DW has any idea how many, . . 50, 100, 200? whatever.

Good thing I don't like to brag about my running. . . . . .

Oh, that's why I have you guys.

I just get tired of the stupid comments about ruining my knees or someone's cousin running a 10k marathon.

ps - "how many miles is a marathon?"

. . . and, if you tell 'em, they can't relate

anyway or don't care so I just say, "a lot"

and that's the end of it.

ETA Roch - did they call you "sir?"

Are we now at the point where it's more about our age than our running? 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Joe618

Evenin' all.

Not much to add, so "Hi" and enjoy all the stories!

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Marathon Maniac #957

Brian really swam 2.5 miles last week? Or is that swimmed? 

Swummed. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Cute puppy pictures!  Looks like EVERYBODY figured out how to post them! 

Welcome home, Erika.  Everyone's goals are different, and if your friend can run sub-4 hour marathons, that sounds like a fine goal.  I'm more interested in scenery, and not even that interested in getting all 50 states.

4 miles around the neighborhood in screw shoes today at sunset.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

SteveP

Would someone please find an 8 year old to show us all how to post pictures.

SteveP

2.1 treadmill miles after work.  Low HR is yielding a better pace on occasion, which is the point of that sort of training.  Tonight went pretty well.  The vendor gifts of food are arriving at the office-   endless snacks....

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tet, I still have the other half of the front yard to rake. It only has one oak tree in it as compared to 3 on the other but there are plenty of acorns still to be had.

An easy 4.8 for me tonight.

Happy running all!

evanflein

I can post pictures from a third party hosting site, like Photobucket, who went insane earlier this year or last year with an outrageous charge for that service so I stopped using them. They've since dropped the price quite a bit and I was thinking of checking it out. It's so easy to use, it might be worth it for a small fee. I try from Facebook off my MacBook Pro using Chrome and it just doesn't seem to work. I know I've done it from my PC though, so maybe it's the OS/browser combination?

4.1 easy miles on the treadmill this afternoon.