Masters Running

Saturday in The Sun............ (Read 33 times)

hope you're having

Good Racing and Good Running

and a safe weekend driving

==============

....40mprnb

deo

....ps,,,,,,,,,

..dogs are simple,

I sense

Lucy just wants to ColorCo-Ordinate with whatever Ribbs is wearing

and

for no apparent reason-

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Albanian_proverbs

• Pain is the body's way of telling the brain it's in trouble. Similarly, Confusion is the brain's way of telling the body, "All right, buddy, drop that book."

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

Beautiful day in Western NY.  I've had breakfast and picked up my race packet for tomorrow.  I'm about a mile north of the race start and I think I'll just jog there for a warm-up rather than try to drive and find a place to park.  My hotel is on the race route and if the roads are closed I may not be able to drive back after the race anyway.  The race does 2 loops that are not exactly the same, but share a lot of the same roads.  The first loop passes my hotel at 5.5 miles.  I stop at the end of the first loop (thank goodness) but the marathon continues on and passes my hotel again at the 25 mile mark.  I imagine the road by my hotel will be closed for quite a while.

I hope I can handle a mile warm-up and cool-down. 

I was born in Buffalo but my family moved 20 miles north closer to Niagara Falls when I was 6.  I left for college at 18 and never really lived here again, so I don't know my way around that good.  I did a search for restaurants last night and was surprised to see that the Anchor Bar was 3 tenths of a mile away from my hotel.  That is the first place that served chicken wings as a snack at the bar (or at least they get the credit for being the first.)  And it is the reason for the name Buffalo Wings.  So I went there and fulfilled a dream of having wings there.  I can die a happy man now,  They were very good wings but I ate way too much yesterday,  I better be careful today or I'll be getting sick out on the course tomorrow.

Now I am off to see my brother and be the first of our family to call him grandpa in person.  My (now sad) older sister is now the only one of us without grandkids. 

TammyinGP

good morning!

such a long day yesterday. left at 9:30, got home at midnight.  David did well at State, just not as well as he had hoped. He wanted to break the school record of 9:44 but didn't quite make it. He ran 9.59, which is  a PR and he beat his nemesis, so he was happy with the 2 of 3 goals. Came in 6th overall which was good for a ribbon. 

i'm still exhausted from such a long day. I'm not used to being up til midnight anymore! so today will just be catching up around the house with my long list of things to do. then hopefully tomorrow will be a long run and relaxing.

Tammy

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Wow, rather slow in here today.  Happy middle of the Memorial Day weekend.

I snuck out yesterday so we could have a 4 day weekend in Maine, doing opening stuff.  Most of which yesterday involve me finding out that I had not done a good enough job draining the water last fall and dealing with the fallout.  I fixed the obvious leak, which led to finding the less obvious one on the next attempt.  I ended up cutting out the entire length of copper and we now have a nice leakfree section of PEK tubing that connects nicely with compression fittings and NOT solder.

went out for a little run this morning along the lake.  Garmin was not behaving--first it took forever to find satellites and then I got the low battery message.  after about a mile, it shut off.    i'll have to go back to check old runs, but about 2.5 miles at unknown pace.

Hope everyone else is having fun.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Steve, congrats to Noah in the 2K race.  It was neat to hear about a Tammy/fatozzig get together.  Tammy, it sounds like David had a good day at the state meet.  mari, good job in your 3K race.  Steve, when you go to Escanaba, do you ever go around the bay to Fayette?  I think that's a neat place and a beautiful setting with the bay and limestone cliffs. Dave, it sounds like your NY trip is going well.

This morning, it was 47° with a light breeze when I went out the door.  When I got back, an hour and a half later, it was 60°.  Needless to say, I was overdressed and quite warm.  I got in 8 miles at an 11:20 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Sayhey! MM#130

Arrgh, just typed out a long chatty note and lost it.  The home computer is ailing and jumps all over, trashing as it goes.

And, I was reiterating a lot of what I had thought I posted yesterday, which also didn't make it.

Please know I had lots to say to dave, so know I am and will be thinking of you.

sent individual shout outs to Nancy, Tammy,(and David), and Leslie (really hope she is having fun.)

Commiserated with tselbs about the temp change;

And with Kevin as to the repairs, also advised it was ok to put on the Sox game, but that was a while ago and it's not looking so sure right now.  I'm getting in touch with my inner Cub fan these days.....

tet, explained how my family called me Calamity Jane when I was little for all my mishaps

told you all way too much about my long run this am.  It was 21 miles, I'm happy and we treated ourselves to frozen yoghurt after grocery shopping so now I'm REALLY happy (the free taste samples are so good so good so good).

asked the fashionistas and Ribs what to do: planned on wearing red whie and blue at the 5K on Memorial day but the race bib, which I picked up today, is hot pink with black numbers.  Advice?

Ah, kevin, nevermind.

<address>Also said how Lucy made me think of Frank our last dog) and how gentle he was with DH after his heart surgery.</address><address> </address><address>We're stuck on italics now but shhh..I will try and post this  <crossed fingers>.....</address>

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Dear Calamity Amy,

Didn't you used to live/work in Deadwood?

nice 21 mile run this morning. .

Did you ever run those kind of distances much when  you were just training for marathons?

told you all way too much about my long run this am.  It was 21 miles,

ps - especially for those of us who didn't do anything,

there's no such thing as too much information from anyone about any kind of run.

pps stumps - why is saturday the "middle" of the Memorial Day weekend?

Have you been over-doing it with your comeback,  . . .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

Look who made it to Buffalo:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2903/14281425543_0e55da6826.jpg

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

pps stumps - why is saturday the "middle" of the Memorial Day weekend?

Have you been over-doing it with your comeback,  . . .

It is sort of when you cheat and start the long weekend on Thursday night............................and little chance of over-doing at the pace I'm working  with at the moment.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

Look who made it to Buffalo:

Barely!  Man, that's a long drive!  I guess I didn't realize the expo closed at 4:00...which wouldn't be so bad because they have a packet pickup on race morning...but to get your time slot for the pasta dinner, you have to be there by 4:00!  So...when we left the motel, this morning, just outside of Gary Indiana, our GPS said we would arrive at 3:32...well, to make a long story short, we made it to the expo with 5 minutes to spare.  I was stressed the whole way.

But, we did make it...by the way...did I ever mention that Ryan decided to come along and run the half...that's why it's "we" instead of "I".   Anyway...we met Dave at the pasta dinner and had fun visiting.  Dave is a very nice guy, and I guess I never realized he had done so many races in so many different places.

Dave also saw what a bonehead I can be.   I had received both his and IBUB's cell phone numbers and I somehow mixed them up.  So, when I thought I was texting IBUB to see if he could join us for dinner...Dave received it.  Then, after dinner, when I tried to call DW, I accidentally, dialed Dave again...but I thought I had accidentally called IBUB and when Dave called to see if I had called him I thought I was talking to IBUB. So...Dave thinks I'm a dope and IBUB thinks I'm a snob for not trying to contact him.  Did anybody follow that?  Now everybody knows I'm a dope.

Congratulations to David!  Great race!

Amy--I have lost a few posts after spending a lot of time on them as well.  You can never rewrite them the same as you did the first time, for some reason.

Okay--I gotta get my stuff ready for the morning and get to bed.  See ya!

C-R

Good luck Dave and Mike. My family is from Albion and one time I would like to run this race.

We are at a lake house in Illinois with some friends and spent the day playing cards, talking and just relaxing. It's great. Patrick and I got a food run on country roads today and it's time for a fire and some s'mores.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mike E

MM #5615

By the way...I wish I had known it was going to be so cold out here...

Henrun

And with Kevin as to the repairs, also advised it was ok to put on the Sox game, but that was a while ago and it's not looking so sure right now.  I'm getting in touch with my inner Cub fan these days.....

<address> </address>

+1. Amy, I've been wearing my Cubs hat all week.

Greetings from Billings, Montana. We arrived at 4pm Mtn time. I thought I would have time to get my last long run in, but it is too blasted hot here, plus there is no wind at all, what is up with that? Maybe tomorrow. We did spend an hour on the fitness machines though. I found a place online called Sam and Louie's New York Pizzeria that had good looking salads on the menu. The Cobb salad was absolutely wonderful and MrStarr had the grilled chicken salad. I think we got our quota of veggies. This morning the scale showed that I hit 25 pounds lost so I guess I will keep on the plan until the day before the race. I can tell the difference in altitude, with a gain of 1533 feet today. I feel kind of dizzy, so it is a good thing I didn't run outside.  G'night everyone and fleet feet to all the racers tomorrow.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Marathon Maniac #957

By the way...I wish I had known it was going to be so cold out here...

Too bad you didn't check the weather report....

7.3 miles for me on Saturday, plus weeding and playing a round of golf with the family.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."