Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - w/e 09/30 (Read 266 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

"Ow" - Leslie and Arla Black eye

Happy Monday. Starting us off this week and with that "quote" because my back is bummed out. All I was doing was toting a garden hose around on Saturday morning and felt a twinge. Uh-oh, here we go again. Fortunately, running is ok and seems to help, in fact I picked up a #1 in my AG half marathon at Half Moon Bay yesterday. Big grin

Jim - you're on a farming streak! It's cool that you can work your runs into your work.

Leslie - hope the painting went ok and didn't aggravate your neck. Loved the pics! Very similar to pics I would have had at the same age.

OM - can you do your track day just before sundown? It kind of scares me to think about doing a track workout and then not eating all day.

Joe - yeah, Garmin 610. I'll have to send it in. But it seems to me that something that you wear while you sweat should be more sweat-resistant. Angry

Ex runner

Nice on the AG - bad back and all!!

And I'm not getting to paint.  He seems to have forgotten that a few years ago I painted 2 bedrooms, the bathroom, and the front room, and helped with a significant portion of the great room - all without destroying anything.  But if he wants to be a martyr to the cause, enjoy! Joking

Jim - It's good to hear from you.  Get to meet Nobby, huh?  Me thinks a few people in this forum might be a tad jealous. Wink

Rest day today.  Since I've had some hard runs (i.e., they were hard for me to get through) over the past couple of weeks, Coach has me in a nice 3-week long taper.  Me is pleased. Approve

Have a good week ~

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Congrats on the AG win, Arla! I don't like the back pain though... give that back and keep the award.

My track session is 10am tomorrow. Fasting starts at sundown tomorrow night and goes until after dark on Wednesday. The hardest part is not being able to drink water at bedtime and when I first wake up in the morning. But I do this every year, and the point is not to complain but to go inside oneself... so I'm sure it'll all be fine.

Yoga class today, for a change. Theme for the class was "'Why me?' vs 'Yes, please!'" In other words, don't lament your so-called bad luck, but appreciate the opportunities you get to experience instead... or something like that. And then we did a partner pose like this (but with more clothes on):

jfa

Nice going on the first place finish Arla! No excuses right? Just go do it.

Leslie- Nice pics on the last thread. Enjoy that taper!

OM- What wave are you in? I'm Orange , wave 3. 10:30 start. That yoga looks challenging.

Jim- good job getting your runs in and hope some down time is on the hoizon for you.

As you all know, other than a spring and fall marathon every year, I have not raced much. Nobby recommends some tuneups,  so today I signed up for three races over the next month. Two halfs (6 and 4 weeks out from race day) and a 5k the weekend before. I think it's good practice and I'll get a feel for where my fitness is.

Absolutely gorgeous weather lately. Cool running days and windy weekends for sailing.

Sea Dog enjoying an 80* day in 30kts of wind. When it's rough he's tied to the boat and the deck filled with cushions

Buddy!!  Long time, no see!!  Nice pic off the right side starboard side lefti side port side . . . . side of the boat.  (I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.)

OM - I'd hurt myself if I tried anything like that.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

OrangeMat

MM #6177

It was actually a lot easier than it looked. We also did a variation where you did plank (upper pushup position) on top of someone else's plank; you face their feet, your hands on their ankles, and the tops of your feet on their shoulders. The person underneath didn't feel like they were carrying a full person's weight on their back, just that their shoulders and ankles were grounded, and that felt really good. And this was a basic class.

Joe, I'm all the same as you except I'm Green instead of Orange. Kind of ironic, eh? Wink

OK, enough procrastinating my morning, off to meet Coach at the track soon! Have a great day, all.

Queen of 3rd Place

OM - good luck with your track workout. That guy does down dog sooooo much better than I can. Probably should work on that.

Joe - I think some tune-up races will be good for you right about now. Practicing marathon pacing in a half is a solid workout. My problem is going too fast (as usual). Maybe you can race one and use the second to practice marathon race pace? What does Nobby think?

Cute Buddy pics! Looks like a fun day on the boat.

Looked up some new back exercises specific to my trouble areas. Gotta say they helped right away. Also got some advice from a physician friend who is also a yoga instructor and a runner (good to have friends like this!). She says to work on quad strength when you've got back issues: hard-core stuff like squats and deadlifts. Going to have to work into that stuff slowly!

Ex runner

Arla - When you're developing your quads, don't forget to work on your hamstrings, too.  At one point, my quads are overdeveloped compared to my hamstrings, and the pulling on my low back was a big problem.  Once I evened things out, pretty much no issues.  (I say "pretty much" 'cause face it, age is going to attack somewhere, some time . . .)

OM - What you described re the yoga position - dang . . .

4 EZ miles this a.m. with 6 strides tagged on at the end, followed up with an hour of core/strength training whilst watching "Circle of Friends."  One of my all-time favs.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

7 miles with fartleks of various durations and speeds thrown in here and there under a crisp, clear predawn sky.  Very pretty and peaceful. 

[Rant On]

So there are two horses in the pastureland across from our house.  I use the term pastureland loosely because although it's a huge open field, there is no grass to eat as the horses have taken it all down to the brown nubs.  At one point last year there were three horses, but due to neglect, one (which was already a rescue) was removed from the property, and whoever was responsible for the remaining two started feeding them regularly.

Fast forward a year, and about a month ago regular feeding stopped.  I called Animal Control after they hadn't been fed in over a week.  A few days later, a bale of hay shows up and the horses are being fed again - for a week.  Last Wednesday, after another week and a half of no feeding, I wrote the stock deputy a polite but to-the-point letter basically stating that I  intend to be a thorn in somebody's side until these horses are taken care of appropriately.  I stated I was under no delusion that he didn't have worse animal issues to deal with throughout the county, but this issue was in my own front yard and I couldn't ignore it.  I even offered to help with the feeding if the issue for those responsible was getting to the property 2x a day.  No response, however, sometime between Monday evening and early Tuesday morning, a bale of alfalfa showed up but none had been fed to the horses.  When they still hadn't been fed by the time I left for work yesterday, I fed them myself.  Last night and this morning they'd been fed.

I really hope that the responsible party(ies) has been told get his/her act together because people are watching and that they do the humane thing.  If they don't want the responsibility of the horses, then get rid of them, but don't let them starve.

[Rant Off]  Okay, I feel better . . . .

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Talking to myself again . . . . it only gets scary if I start to answer myself out loud . . .

5 miles this a.m.  There was very little traffic, and since it was very foggy, so all sounds were muffled and it was quiet.  At my turn around point, I walked for a couple of blocks just so I could enjoy the peacefulness of it all.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hi Leslie (and everyone else, too).  I guess if I'm lurking, you're not technically talking to yourself.  Just thought I'd let you know to keep you from wondering. 

Lack of running on my part is a direct collalary to lack of posting.  Long week in NC as the project crunch time has hit.    Can you call it a week when it ends up being 10-12 days long?  working thorugh the weekend and hope to make it home NEXT Friday.  Hope to make it out and find someplace other than a .8 mile loop around the hotel to run on.

Joe--being where the water dog is looks very inviting at this point.  actually anywhere other than here sounds inviting.  Oh well.

happy running all and maybe I'll catch up a little over the weekend.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Stumpy - What does your job entail that it takes you away from home for so long?  And no, 10-12 days does not a week equal.

1 hr of core/strength training this morning. Most upper body ST, but threw in some lower for those muscles that done get as much work when trail running.

Very tragic accident yesterday morning here.  Three local women and a dog were struck by a vehicle at about 5:00 a.m. yesterday morning while they were out running on a back road between Eureka and Arcata.  Two were seriously injured, and the third and the dog were killed.  Hit-and-run.  The cops found the vehicle abandoned about 4 miles or so away in town.  The news is reporting that the driver hasn't been found, but my boss is friends with a woman whose husband is a cop, and she said they finally caught the guy.  Was just released in the last couple of days on bond from felony charges - for what, I don't know.  The woman who died had two children ages 4 and 7.  They were wearing reflective gear and running against traffic.  Very seasoned runners taking all the precautions.  Please keep all these families in your thoughts and prayers.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

That's a sad thing to hear.  someone who has so little regard for other people is hard to fathom.  Hope they throw the book at him.

We're doing a big project at a LNG plant that needs to be completed by the end of the month.  We're a small company and since I'm the electrical engineer that did all the design on that portion, I need to be around to make sure things are going together and then help test them when they go together.  It can get a little painful at times (like now), but I also like to be hands on and actually see the results of all my work.  And it puts bread on the table.k  There are a lot of people around that would love to complain about being too busy.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - Ugh, that's horrible news. People forget that their cars are essentially ballistic weapons. As a runner, cycle commuter, and motorcyclist, I have to always be hyper-aware of drivers, and notice all-too-often that people simply aren't paying as much attention as they should be when behind the wheel. It's amazing the variety of other things people do while driving, even at high speeds. 

Sorry to hear about the horses, too. Years ago, California passed a law outlawing the sale of horses as meat (I think it's Italy where it was sold for the most part). So now when people get into financial difficulty they don't have the option to sell as easily. Sure, horses are charismatic and all that, but I'd rather see them used in some manner than allowed to suffer. 

Stumpy - that traveling has got to get old. I used to have a job that entailed traveling, although nothing like you're doing. Sure don't miss it! 

Made an appointment with the doc for Monday to talk about my back issues. Not sure if there's anything he can do, maybe a referral for physical therapy? Worth a try, it's been the last 5 weeks out of 6. 

Other than that....  Roll eyes  ...Have a great weekend, everyone! 

Ex runner

Stumpy - Now I understand.  Hope the job ends soon and you get home.

Arla - Have you looked into MAT (muscle activation) therapy?  Since a local guy helped me with my sciatic issues, I swear by it.  Even now when I feel things getting out of whack, I do my MAT exercises, and within a day or two it's back to normal.

12 miles today out at the McKay Tract.  With every long run, I'm getting happier and happier about my upcoming down time.  I'm just beat.  Between work, training, and working evenings at home, both ends of the candle have been burned down to the nubs.

This whole incident with the women getting hit and one killed has gained an ugly twist.  A friend knows someone who's husband is on the SWAT team that was looking for the driver.  The investigation took law enforcement to the home of a woman who was dating the driver.  She was found dead with over 20 stab wounds.  Law enforcement is being very hush hush at this point, and rightly so.  They want to make sure they have all their ducks in a row and don't want to jeopardize any part of the investigation.

Okay - Back to transcription . . . . Dead

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance