Masters Running

Run Fast, Slow Food 5K in AA (Read 284 times)

(This is long for a 5K RR, but it’s my first and possibly only RR of 2009, so you can cut me a bit o’ slack, OK?) I usually have a rule that I won’t drive to a race where my drive time takes much longer than my race time, so I’m not going to drive very far to attend a 5K. Especially when I’m hurting and only planning on doing it as a fun-run. Especially when it’s on trails, it’s been raining all night, and promises to keep it up all day. But this was being put on by my friend Tim Looney for a good cause in Ann Arbor and I’d been personally invited by DaveinAA. There was no talk of “appearance money”, but I assumed we’d take care of that when I arrived. It rained the whole hour’s drive from Rochester to Ann Arbor, but nothing heavy (yet), and after a while I actually managed to find the registration and starting area. The parking lot was in a separate area of the park where people were gathering to do sculling on the Huron River, and the runners’ gathering was hidden a couple tenths up along a path through the woods. Having challenged ProfinAA to have it out on the course at last, I was surprised to find that he had withdrawn from competition at my approach (I guess anything longer than a mile…). So any chances for Boomer glory were solely in my hands. AA being AA, most of the entries looked like students and other local denizens, and I planned on just sticking to my easy 10-minute fun-run pace. Judging from the bib numbers, there were 80-100 entries, so not a bad turnout given the steady (and steadily increasing) drizzle we were under. The race started and we immediately went off the paved path onto a muddy trail toward the river. I had chosen to wear my glasses in order to watch the footing, but of course they were fogging up even before we started. Still, I managed to miss the roots and rocks and started enjoying the course that Tim had laid out. Overall it was about 50-50 paved and trails, but some of the trail was gnarly single-track that was crossed by muddy rivulets in the increasing rain. At one point I had to jump over a rushing 3-foot-wide creek in order not to go ankle deep in it. I was definitely glad that I had worn my Adrenaline ASRs, which are a light-duty, water-resistant trail shoe. After running Thursday evening, my leg had been sore yesterday, but better this morning. I felt a little soreness for about the first mile, but then it went away and I started increasing my stride and speed. There’s nothing like passing a few runners who are at least 30 years younger than you are to get your motivation up! In any case, I exceeded my goal pace with a 9:41 for the first mile. The second mile slowed to 9:50, but that was the slippery boardwalk and trail section (including going down some steps). By the time I crossed the dam and was back on pavement, I was really hitting my stride and did the last 1.1 miles at my best HM/Crim pace of 8:30. This was the first time I had gone sub-9:30 this year, let alone in the 8s, so I was pretty happy with my performance. My finishing time was 28:30 for a 9:14 pace, and so far I haven’t felt any residual effects in my hamstrings. It was nice to see the whole AA family again, and I would have liked to have stayed around for the home-grown food fair that this run was associated with, but the rain was getting worse and indeed it was a much tougher ride back in a full downpour all the way. But I have to admit that I enjoyed this mix of trails and pavement, and even felt that running it in the rain added to the ambience of the river and woods.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

I’d been personally invited by DaveinAA. ... I was surprised to find that he had withdrawn from competition at my approach ... It was nice to see the whole AA family again
      roch, Good race report, but I am a little confused. You say DaveinAA invited you, but he withdrew from the competition, presumably because of the rain and the bad course conditions. Yet you saw him and his whole family there. If he wasn't running, what was he doing? Standing under an umbrella, yelling "Suckah!" as you ran past? By the way, I'm with you: I think DaveinAA is now unable to run farther than a mile, and was afraid to face you on a 5K course. Also, now that he is a track runner, he was probably afraid to get his feet wet and his shoes dirty. Dark Horse
      I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
      Tramps

Fun report, Doug. Glad the hamstring isn't bothering you. I'm not surprised that Dave was cowering at the news of your entry! I hear he can't do much beyond the mile. Wink

Be safe. Be kind.

AA is probably afraid of the rocks and roots, and doesn't want to run anything slower than 5 min miles anymore. Fun report...puddle jumping is more fun than people realize...must have felt nice to run faster after all this time. I hope you have no twinges this week and can start getting more miles in and faster miles.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Yet you saw him and his whole family there. If he wasn't running, what was he doing? Standing under an umbrella, yelling "Suckah!" as you ran past?
            Dave was helping Tim to run the event. I think I remember seeing him at one turn of the course shouting out the usual "you're lookin' good" lie.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tramps

Having challenged ProfinAA to have it out on the course at last, I was surprised to find that he had withdrawn from competition at my approach (I guess anything longer than a mile…).
              Dave was helping Tim to run the event. I think I remember seeing him at one turn of the course shouting out the usual "you're lookin' good" lie.
              So basically you've called Dave both a coward and a liar. Gutsy. Big grin

Be safe. Be kind.

Nice race, roch. You obviously enjoyed yourself and sure ran well in spite of being on some tough trails. I'm glad to hear your hamstring behaved. Congratulations. TomS
                huskydon

Roch, Good job! You did well amidst the roots, rocks, trails, and the creek. Bummer about the rain - would have enjoyed your in depth reporting on the food fair as well. Good to hear your hammies are behaving themselves too. huskydon

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I think I've seen that view of the Huron River flying into Detroit in the past. glad you were able to show that we can do most anything worthwhile if we run smart. I was going to say "slow" but it's faster than most of my 5K's so far this year.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Great report Rochrunner and awesome way to return to your racing from with style! I enjoyed all the details very much and especially the fact that you were feeling good and not re-injuring yourself. Strong racing and in not so great weather too. Karin
                        Doug, Great race report and sounded like a fun race course with the mix of scenery and footing. Way to go Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

King of PhotoShop

You guys have your own small clique up there and it appears you have a lot of fun with each other. I am most happy about the fact that your leg has not bothered you since the race. This is a good time to use care, and I hope your recovery is complete. Nice job. Spareribs
                          dg.

yippee!!! You did such a great job! I couldn't be happier for you. Very impressive. 9:14 under those conditions plus recent injuries. Shocked wow. (ok, i'll stop now) thanks for your fine Boomer representation. btw.. I'm sorry if my comments were out of line the other day... I just didn't want to see you hurt again. This teeter totter ride is getting old for both of us. I'm so glad to hear your hamstrings are ok. I'm sorry I didn't make it. You can call me chicken. Thanks for posting the aerial photo, I do want to try out the course. uh, Doug... 2009? Wink
                            wildchild

Carolyn

I thought I was the only one who noticed the 2009, but deb beat me to it! Very nice futuristic running in the rain! Thanks for the detail-filled RR - interesting read!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Nice goin Roch. It's great to see you back out there.
                                Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33