Masters Running

Saturday 2/16/19 (Read 44 times)

SteveP

RunnerKSA works out 2.7 miles after waffling dinner the night before. There's an additional 2.3 pre-dinner as well.

Dave59 may have dodged a velociraptor during his 3.05 mile run.

Joe618 took to the streets for a windy 5.

Tom White checks in. Mr. White, you and Tet are the people who have influenced me to keep pushing through some challenges. I'm thankful you've stuck around. He has a warn 55 min. excursion through the soccer fields.

C-R knocks out his breezy 5 as well.

Hunrun has a memorable 2.2 on the beach with spectators who cheered him forward on porpoise.

AnneB has a surprise Monday holiday and celebrates on the treadmill for 5.5 miles.

Dnaff nurses achy breaky joints with a yoga workout.

Rochrunner enjoys 3.5 with DW. Your concern is understandable, your fitness regime is improving your odds.

TammyinGP shares 4.7 with a friend this Thursday.4.8 solo on Friday. It's good to see you.

Tramps warms a bike seat for 22 miles.

Fatozzig pops in with a smile.

Coastwalker goes long for 7.2 miles.

HollyS pushes through 4.4 miles after a vegetarian delight.

Pfriese has a Sunshine State 4.5 mile run.

Evanflein has a planning session that takes it to the treadmill. The local weather is getting on our nerves too and I see coworkers taking it out on each other. It get weary.

Mrrun has barefoot fun on the beach and in the waves for several miles.

HopesMom pops in!!! Yay!! She stretches into Friday.

Wildchild has a dirty 3.

Spinach came in too!!! Whoot!! Bundle up for the race. BBbrrrrr.

TwoCat is given an optional 1/4 mile!! The mouth of the road is near the fork in the road I'm sure. Run well today.

StarrRuns checks in.

MikeE shares his 8 mile treadmill adventure.

Surly Bill shares his thoughts regarding his long run strategy.

Tetsujin209 made it through meetings and is getting all tech on us!!

I had 4.5 hard ones on the TM. I knew it was going to affect Friday's work load. First thing we had 75 rolls of carpet pad that showed up a day late. Which is fun like wrestling a giant sized heavy down pillow. The winds were simply brutal.

Later in the afternoon, we had 27 pallets of blown in insulation. Each bag is about 30 lbs and stacked in 42 bag units. It's very tippy. When the wheels of the forklifts get wet, the tires spin on the floor of the semi because of the incline of the loading dock and we cannot make forward progress. I get up in the truck with a non-motorized pallet jack and fought to get it into the over half ton skids. I'd cock the wheels at a 90 degree angle and jack away. When the wood pallets cleared the waxed floor of the truck, the ice build up made the units slide down hill. I'd jack the pallet and start pushing forward and slide backwards under the weight and momentum. Past the 1/2 point it started to get scary. If I hit a rare dry spot, I was going to be road kill. At about the 3/4 mark, I did loose a load. The fella that was using his fork lift after I got the units off helped pick up the mess. I told him that I wasn't used to working that hard unless I spent $30 - $40 and got a T-shirt when I was done. After that, I'd start sliding down fast, then lower the pallet around the 1/4 point until I came to a stop. Then I'd start the slide again. When I got to the last three pallets I thought....we should have asked the driver to pull out of the dock and park on level ground.

SteveP

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks again, Steve. I couldn't quite picture what was going on in the back of that truck yesterday, but it sounds pretty scary, whatever it was. And it sounds like level ground might have helped.

I've never been to a Tim Horton's or a Waffle House, and I've never heard of First Watch. But we do have  our favorite dive. Breakfast there is always quick, hot, plentiful, and cheap and everyone (staff and customers) is very friendly. It is our local, morning "Cheers" spot.

True enough, Surly Bill, that we should take our healing/recovery time into account when planning workout schedules. I don't do either of those things a quickly as I used to. But I'm also not a hard-core scheduler either, and go more on feel and desire than a plan. The extent I pay attention to a calendar is by planning longer workouts on the weekend when there is likely more time. So I'd have trouble keeping track of a schedule longer than a week.

Tet was in an all-day meeting?? What happened? Did you read this story about the slowest marathon:  http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2017/07/curious-case-shizo-kanakuris-1912-olympic-marathon-run/?mc_cid=fbba720165&mc_eid=95d3c85b43

We're going to a neighborhood dinner party tonight. I wonder if it will be the kick-off of the next round of our political discussions? Either way, it'll be good eats and good times.

I had a rather unsatisfying workout this morning: There was still plenty of skim and more significant ice along the roads from yesterday's melting. I figured out, far into the workout when I was feeling more fatigued than I should have, that because of the ice I was subconsciously trying for a firmer foot plant each time instead of just rolling from heel to toe for a more efficient stride. So I was putting in a lot more effort and going slower. Dang ice. I guess that's the downside of going out before the sun comes up and starts some more melting. 7.3 RW miles for today.

Have a greta Saturday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Steve- you are a really top notch employee and if you ever want to change jobs, give me a shout.   Thanks for the great start again!

Tet- not to belabor the restaurant discussion, but neither of those 3 are anything like iHOP, which is still going strong with 1900 or so stores all over the world.  Tim Horton's is more like a Dunkin, Waffle House is like an east coast diner but smaller (sort of looks like a big trailer) and First Watch is a full service breakfast and lunch restaurant.

Really cold and windy outside, so 5.2 treadmill miles for me.  I think by mid-day tomorrow it might be better outside and I can get a little longer of a run done.   We have an 11am basketball game today so have to head down to Vandy soon.  Still looking for that first SEC win in an absolutely dismal season.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mariposai

Good morning SteveP,  coastwalker and RunnerKSA and all those who follow.

Just a quick post from me to say hi and to wish you all a great and relaxing weekend.  The Easy Pacer and I are off to do some skiing in Oliver, BC. Wishing for some great powder to play in.

Have a great three day weekend!

Carpe Diem my friends!!!

Mariposai

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

...sorry I forgot to Warn tet about the SideEffects of Stiffle Pills......

on the

Plus Side,

it Does Grow Hair

on the

Negative Side,

it's in your ears.

===============

but I digress

..40-min PoolRun with shoes, no belt.....

======================

eta-

to quote a Famous Runner (Mark Twain)

''Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ''

............Good Running to Ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Steve--your tale brought back memories of unloading trailers at the grocery store I worked at during high school. It was all hand pallet jacks but there were some precarious pallets and more than one collapse over the years. Good times.

Mari--good to hear from you. I've missed your more regularly posts. Hope all is well.

Not a Waffle House fan either, though I know it's virtually a sacred institution in some Southern communities. (On a side note, when they decided to sell burgers, last year's IHOP branding failure was hilarious.) Give me the good old fashioned locally-owned quirky greasy-spooned diner any day. Sadly, they are fewer and further between these days. In fact, we live in a veritable wasteland of dining options dominated by (1) those national chains and (2) overpriced mediocre upscale restaurants aimed at tourists. It does help with our dining out budget, though, since we rarely eat out locally.

Dark gray clouds this morning but all the rain is just to our south. 3.7 miles of running.

Enjoy the weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

pfriese

Morning all.

A beautiful morning once again here in south Florida. Up early for a final 8 mile run thru old Naples with the last 2 miles barefoot on the beach. No porpoise sightings though. Home to winter tomorrow.

Paul

spacityrunner

4.3 miles on Hot Springs Mountain this morning with friends.  A cool 35ish and no wind made for a perfect run!  Oh and being with friends helps!!

Trails Rock!

Had re-read "Stiffle Pills" as at first I saw "Stiff Pills."

SteveP - Sounds like you got a great ST/core/balance workout.  Way to go! 

I'm not a big breakfast fan, but I do like my bagels with cream cheese or scrambled eggs with any leftovers in the fridge thrown in and then wrapped in a tortilla.  Trying to get The Hub to go out for any meal is like pulling teeth, so it rarely ever happens.  When we travel, we take an ice chest with food and try to stay at hotels with free breakfasts.

At PT yesterday, my therapist asked me to talk to a young woman about what's been going on with me.  I get the impression she's a runner at the local university.  Whatever's going on with her has been going on for a year now, and he must think it's hamstring related.  One of the things I told her is she absolutely needs to get out of Humboldt County for medical care.  I gave Trevor the updated information of my ortho in San Jose.  I hope she and her family take my advice.

Also at PT I discovered I wasn't doing my step exercises completely correctly.  My biggest issue is my right knee likes to cave inward, which is one of the things that contributed over the years to my hamstring issue.  It is no easy task to get my leg to track correctly and it takes all my concentration to effectively use my glute.

So my dad died in August 2015 and I filed his personal income taxes in 2016 like I was supposed to.  About a year ago, the IRS started sending me letters effectively stating they were "looking into my claim and needed a 60 day extension."  Sixty days later, I'd get the same letter.  About 3+ months ago, they sent a letter asking for information I had already sent 2x, only this time they were requiring a specific box be checked.  OK.  Done.  Got another letter stating they needed an additional 60 days to research my claim.  . . . . 3 days ago I got a check in the amount of $1,200.55 that they owed from the taxes I'd filed back in 2016.   Very unexpected.  My brother will be pretty dang surprised when he gets a $600 check in the mail here soon. 

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Joe618

Mornin' all!     Your trailer story, Steve, reminded me of a very similar event a few years ago when I had to unload a 900lb skid from a similarly  tilted 53' on a slick trailer surface with just a hand pallet jack.   Gotta be quick and alert, to be sure.    Glad you made it through.

Enjoy the Vandy game, Karen.   Tough year for them.   Tough year for your alma mater as well.    Better times, they will come.     Boilers host Penn State at 4pm here this afternoon and that could be dodgy.

Heading out for an 8 miler, than finish my taxes while listening to the Purdue game on the radio. 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

C-R

Hey all. Had a great time staffing the water stop. It was cold. Most of the cups froze over but the sun was out and people were happy to be running.

I tried Tim Horton's and like Dunkin better.

Ran another neighborhood at lunch for 4.5 miles. It was brisk but nice. Kiddo has indoor meet this evening. Trying to go sub 4:30 for the mile. Yikes.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Greetings from Rochester.  DW and I spent the day driving there yesterday.  Uneventful trip, 6-1/2 hours with a couple of short stops.

Today I made it out for 3 slow miles around FIL's neighborhood.  I have a new term I just created this morning--death snow.  it was warm enough yesterday that there was plenty of melting, then it froze before a nice even layer of powder was deposited on top of it.  Hit one patch going out the driveway.  Stayed up.  Ran the route using tire tracks and previous travelers to keep me upright.  Got to the end of the run and walking in and did quite a dipsy-do and managed to keep everything except my hands and feet off the ground.  Never knew I had those kind of dance moves in me!

Coming in late, but I like Waffle House as a guilty pleasure.  Pretty much everything on the menu is heart attack on a plate, but love biscuits and sausage gravy.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

bioguy

Pretty day for a run; got in a 13 miler at a relaxed pace.

Mrs Bio has informed me she would like us to move to some nicer digs. I've been very focused on work and saving for retirement. We'll see.

Tailwinds!

Had re-read "Stiffle Pills" as at first I saw "Stiff Pills." 

I think I've got a bottle of those... 

For some reason, I'm getting a real urge for a Waffle House breakfast -- I can taste the grits already (assuming you think that grits have a taste). Besides, none of the restaurants around here call you "hon" when you walk in and sit down,

I didn't run the 5K this morning (which I found out was actually a 6-miler), but I did go out to support it and walked 3.1 miles with a couple of running club friends. This was the 25th anniversary of the "Bumper Run" whose origin is somewhat shrouded in the past, but has something to do with a runner being bumped by a car (nothing serious) while on a run. In any case, it's strictly a casual run, no entry fee, no AG awards, but they have refreshments and some drawings for prizes. It's one of those events that become a tradition for the local runners who know about it by word of mouth.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

spinach

My race went on this morning. The temperature was about zero for the race. So I got in February this year for the race.  February is always the most difficult month to get a race here in Minnesota. But now I got 203 consecutive months with a race.

I only did the 5k they had a couple longer routes but the roads and sidewalks were covered with snow and ice. The roads were better but most of the route was along a busy road and so I had to be on the sidewalks most of the half when we were running the same direction and side as the cars.

My time was 22:47 and I finished second male and third overall. The race was a 5k at the Half Fast Half run here in Vadnais Heights MN. I hope March will be better conditions.