Masters Running

Tuesday, July 20 Daily Runs and such..... (Read 481 times)

ETA:  DW passed her test easily with an 87 !!! 

Bill

..So now

she can keep you in luxury  as her BoyToy..............nice move burger/////

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

CNY, my thoughts are with super granny.  dove, nice 8K, monster day and weekend.  jlynne, I hope you find some relief for your PF.  kimmie, it sounds like you had some nice runs in neat places as you recover.  breger, congrats to your wife on passing her test, including stupid questions.  vista, it's a bit bittersweet that being very successful messed with you high school reunion.

Nice long runs for holly, dg, fatozzig, evan, holly (another and with speedwork), and PBJ.  Good job on the speedwork for hopeful and Slo.

This morning, it was in the mid 60s, almost calm, and humid.  I got in 8 miles in a bit under 1:23 for a 10:21 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

wildchild

Carolyn

Karin, hugs to Super Granny - how's she doing today?
        Mari, sounds like you're having a greta time in Maine!  How did you like your layover in beautiful Denver? Did you ever hear what was wrong with the plane?
        Jeanne, hope the podiatrist has good news for you but it sounds like you just need time to heal.  If you don't have time to train for the fall marathon, maybe you can just go enjoy the party for Ribs?
        Kristin, any news from the MRI yet?
        Byll, good thing your DW passed her test, since she's been doing mortgages for 10 years! 
        Kimmie, glad you're starting to run again, and it sounds like you're starting up slowly, unlike most of us dummies who need duct tape to be patient. 
        Vista, that contract sounds like too much of a good thing!  70 hour weeks?    No reunion? 

Nice intervals for Mary, Holly, and SloHand, and tempo for Breger.  

Question on speedwork in the summer:  do you scale back your paces for the H&H?   I do pretty much zero speedwork in the summer, not because of H&H, but because all my summertime runs are in the mountains where I can avoid the H&H.  But everything's so darn hilly and high altitude, and there's nowhere flat enough to run intervals.  I do some fartleks and the occasional fast hillwork, but I walk parts of pretty much every run on the really steep parts.  Will this type of [non]training affect my fall races?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Wildchild - You could do hill sprints . . . but I doubt those will help if you're running basically flat races.

Bill - Congrats to your DW.  I was cursing and yelling Saturday while trying to figure out how to use Word for some newsletters I had to edit.  I finally had to walk away or I was going to throw the computer at the window.

JLynne - Keeping fingers crossed the pod can help you.

40 mins of upper body and core for me this a.m., followed by about 1.7 miles of hill repeats.  One hill is .25 in length, then I turn around and "jog" down to The Hill, which is close to .20 in length.  Then down The Hill and back up the other section, down, then back up The Hill.  The Hill is definitely steeper than the first section, but I was pleased with the results of both.  Had a "tag" point on the The Hill, which was someone's car.  Here I am making my second ascent and the owner comes along and drives off before I get to it again!  The nerve to go to work just when I'm . . . almost . . . there.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Slo

Question on speedwork in the summer:  do you scale back your paces for the H&H?   I do pretty much zero speedwork in the summer, not because of H&H, but because all my summertime runs are in the mountains where I can avoid the H&H.  But everything's so darn hilly and high altitude, and there's nowhere flat enough to run intervals.  I do some fartleks and the occasional fast hillwork, but I walk parts of pretty much every run on the really steep parts.  Will this type of [non]training affect my fall races?

It's always been said....Hills are speed work in disguise.

Re: scaling back in the H & H.......My times may not be as good as they could I suppose. But then again, I couldn't tell you what I should be running them at anyway. Last week I did 6 repeats....they were faster than this week but I did 8 this week.....and knowing that 8 was my goal I puposely did them a little slower to insure I got all eight in. H & H was relatively the same.

I've got a perfect place to do them. There is a FLAT bike bath that has markers every 1/2 mile.

Marathon Maniac #957

Wildchild - You could do hill sprints . . . but I doubt those will help if you're running basically flat races.

I disagree.  Hill work you do now will make you stronger and more powerful, and you will FLY when you get back down to flat land running. 

I just got a call tom come in for an interview on an Administrative Secretary position with the county.  Trouble is, I don't know WHICH position.  I've submitted applications for seven different Administrative Secretary positions at the county website since January.  Most of them pay more than I make as a paralegal, with better benefits.  Realistically, though, while I’m mostly overqualified for the position, education-wise, my typing speed is barely fast enough and will likely keep me from getting the job.  Still, doesn't hurt to practice my interviewing skills.  And I get to put on that great suit I got at Macy's....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly, very few people worry about typing speed anymore.  Go for it!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

dg.

hi ya'll!  

I'm so behind I don't know how I'll ever catch up...   usually I at least manage to read but I've missed a lot of that too, though not all of course.   work is nuts. home is nuts.  and it hurts to type.  so that's the official apology for whatever I haven't responded to!      I'll try to start with some of today & see how I do from here on out. 

Am  going to see a movie tonight with my DD... we never do anything together so I'm happy about it.   Mr. Hulot's Holiday.   : )

Mary... nice intervals & repeats!!  & your hr is getting better all the time.    Hope your back doesn't get better too fast, you might need to repeat the treatment.     I noticed Tag's selective view of water too.

Nancy glad you're safely on land.   have a wonderful time!!!  Wish I could have joined you.

Jeanne are you back from the doc yet?   Was going to yell at you about your run this morning but I did exactly the same thing once.

Nice run Bylger.     Deb makes me laugh.   & she's right!    (congrats Deb!)

tw,  Big grin

(((Kimmie)))    I do know about what things use your abs!    I hope you heal quickly....  try to keep up the patience.   isn't easy.

well, I'm not even close but have to stop for now.      did run this morning at the gym, thunderstorms here & after Amy's link I wasn't even tempted.   7.33 miles, 9:59 pace, 8:02 max. ahr 160, max 177.    I think my polar needs to be calibarted... after about 5 1/2 miles I looked at the numbers & they didn't seem right.. so I counted laps & watched the pace clock for the rest.  then spent the rest of the day figuring out what I thought I really ran. (I am NOT obsessive )   I think this was close, best I could do, but it's hard to know till I test it.  

Renee the dog

2 miles in the rain with Renee this afternoon just because a big rain storm blew in and we wanted to play in it!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Vista, that contract sounds like too much of a good thing!  70 hour weeks?    No reunion? 

Well, you have to take the business when it comes.     The 70 hours is on top of my regular responsibilities....So I am sure it will be more like 100 hours for the three weeks..  On a positive note, I did hire 3 people today and they are all THRILLED with the job........

The reunion is toast for me at this stage.

Vista
                      lamerunner

Greetings. Nice running going on here.. Hugs to Karin and super granny. Hope she is feeling better.

It has been a challenging few days. We have been mostly up at our family lake house, with DD, DS, DSD and DSS with friend.  I made dinner for 14 on Sunday, then had to come back here  yesterday for a work emergency, actually dueling emergencies, then drove back up there last evening so we could do a family hike today. No run yesterday; I did swim under the stars about midnight... DSD, age 25, has always been a bit of a prima donna and her relationship with me has not been easy. We had thought she was doing better  the last few years; last night she threw a fit worthy of her worst teenage years. She is not a hiker and after dinner ( which she made but it got very late), she began staking out her ground that she was not going, Fine. But then she started trying to get my DD who is a great hiker but is 17 and does not hang with us much and others to bail out also. At that point DSS had enough and unloaded on her. That she cannot handle and she went nuclear, and insisted she was leaving on the 9 am bus. DH was mad enough at that point and said fine.

In contrast to her teenage years, DH did not go beg her to stay. She left on the bus this morning; the rest of us, a bit weary  went hiking. We gave DD the choice and she chose to come along.  !  I think poor DS was a bit traumatized by the whole thing. He was either not yet born or  very young during the years she  still came over to our house regularly  and has not had this experience so much.   The whole thing brought back a lot of stressful memories for me.

So this morning I ran a brisk 6 on a hilly dirt road, then we all hiked Mt Eisenhower in the southern Presidentials. It is a good choice if you need a moderate hike for a group and still gives a taste of the  Presies.  Weather was not as sunny as advertised, but ok.   Stopped at a great swimming hole on the way back, then I came back home; more work tomorrow but the emergencies seem to be under some control.

Once again glad there is running and wine in the world. Peace.

Renee the dog

{{{ lamerunner}}}

Still thinking of you too, CNY...{{{ }}} for your Grandmother.  Update us when you can...

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

It's always been said....Hills are speed work in disguise.

Well, then I'm gonna be looking at my new training schedule in a more positive light!  Hill repeats on Tuesdays and an LR with strides on Wednesdays.  What's that I hear?  An award for finishing first in my age group?  snort, guffaw, ha, ha, cough, choke.  Um, not in the near or distant future.  I'll settle for a little bit faster, though.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

SteveP

SteveP

That's great!!!  Watch out, Tag - the competition is fierce, my little hairy friend.

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance