Masters Running

Sunday 10/7 -- Marathon Sunday! (Read 44 times)

spacityrunner

I’m worried about hermosaboy.  Hope we hear something soon.

2.5 hot humid and hilly miles this morning. More miles tonight

eta:  good to hear rob is ok.   Added another 1.5 miles tonight on the balboa spillway.  I wanted to go for 2 miles but 1.5 was enough.

Trails Rock!

Mariposai is through the half way mark in 2:33:50. She and her friend have slowed down a bit but are still on track to finish in under five and a half hours.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

26.2 miles - with predicted rain staved off, did 26.2 miles in commemoration of the Portland and Victoria Marathons I used to do in those days on the first weekend in October but this time in warm Victoria Marathon sweatshirt but freezing my fingers off at 50o that I refuse to acknowledge warrants gloves or something. Fifty degrees never seemed that cold when I was up a little southeast of erika-land. I wonder if Erika wears gloves at 50o.

Unfortunately, 24 of this morning’s miles were cycling over to the secluded lakeside park for for two-point-two miles running up-and-down the beach before coming back to encircle the island where two young-of-the-year crossed the road to say hello. I wish I could post photos with the same ease that some people seem to be able to do for food.

Hope the rain Mariposai was concerned about

is staving off for Victoria too for her friend’s

first marathon, and the 12th anniversary of her own.

Sure didn't know they had a 5:30:00 cutoff, though.

Glad I ran it in the days when I could instead

of now having to find marathons with 7-10 hour

cutoffs, early starts, etc.

Sometimes I think MikeE sits on the throne

more in one day that I have my whole life. Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Dave - I have had good results with KT tape, but you may be correct in that it works better for some things than others.

Jay - I have been passed by racewalkers in marathons and, rather than being annoyed, I am just impressed.

Tet - I don't think the Victoria Marathon has a 5:30 cutoff.

I have been in the kitchen making falafels, oatmeal cookies, potato salad, pico de gallo and baking a ham - an interesting variety for various family member requests.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai update . . . insert stock ticker noises here  . . . 30k in 3:45:38. Expected finish time now 5:17:39. This may be close. The last split was quite a bit slower than the prior one. Keep your fingers crossed.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

bioguy

A lot of hard lawn work this morning so i put off running till mid-afternoon. The sun had come out and boy it seemed hot and humid. Only got in 3.5.

Tailwinds!

anneb

I love watching and tracking marathons! The local coverage of Chicago wasn’t too bad. I watched the start go off, then later ran 1:15:00 on my home treadmill and watched the winners and other coverage. It didn’t look like a great day to be spectating, but not too bad for running. Mo Farah made it look so easy- and he stopped and pet/took a pic with my friends golden retriever yesterday, so that makes him ok to me ☺️

Hope you have a great race Mariposai!

Anne

Henrun

Great seeing Jay this morning and seeing many friends from present and past.

I hadn’t raced since February and most of my running has been very slow since then.. Marj did not run because of her knee problem but “ran” (really a walk) me in for the last mile. My last 1.1 was much faster than my previous 2. I also had the support of Marj’s DD and her GD1 and GS. Since I was the only in my AG I got a first and won a nice warm shirt. My fellow 92 year old club member beat me soundly but he was in a separate AG😊. Fortunately the weather was mostly cloudy and in the 60’s as opposed to the last 2 years when there were torrential downpours. We returned home for a nap and a neighborhood block party 🎼.

Mariposai through the 40k mark in 5:10:39. This is going to be close. Keep your fingers, arms and legs crossed.

I do not think they made the cutoff. 

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat - How can the marathon time limit be 5:30 when the HM time limit is 6 hours?  That makes no sense....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

No, no! They did make it!!!  Mariposai at 5:26:23 and her friend that she was pacing in 5:26:24! Whew!!

mrrun

Yeah Posai and friend - great racing!!!

I did not check the cutoff. It is what Mariposai told me it was.

an amazing likeness

From his post in the main forums, HermosaBoy (Rob) pulled up in Chicago...

I tried to run a marathon in mine today and am wondering if a 5k, a 15k and one workout was enough to get used to them?

Was cruising through the half right on pace and then pretty much locked up both hip flexors at mile 17 and dropped.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.