Masters Running

Finally Friday 5/27 (Read 26 times)

Jlynne

Good morning good people! Rise and shine and get this holiday weekend off to a great start. I feel like I've got half a day in already. Up at 3:30 to open the Y for one of my co-workers who wanted to take a long weekend. Came home, showered and am now dressed and ready to start job #2 as the "lunch lady" at a local elementary school. Then if the weather cooperates, 18 holes of golf with DH, DS#2 and his friend.

I'm sure we'll all be glad when Jay returns from his trip so he can give us his great recap every day.

Good wishes to all who are on the DL right now and to anyone racing this weekend. I'm glad Erika is enjoying her back and forth trip across the state of Wisconsin.

Enjoy the long weekend everyone! Safe travels to anyone on the move today

Dave59

I enjoyed the shipwreck pictures that were linked to yesterday.

Hallmark Mystery Channel played about 7 Jesse Stone movies in a row last week. I recorded them and have been watching them during the week. Tom Selleck is a rough, heavy drinking, chief of police in a small New England town.  It fits well with the disappearance of Jay story line.

Today was my first "soupy" day in weeks.  4.3 sweat filled miles. Some light rain started falling in the last mile but it was too little, too late to cool me off. But it's ok, I'm not complaining.

Anything going on for the holiday weekend for you?  Nothing for for me. I'll do some reading and I'll work a little bit. If I can get enough done now I can take a relaxing trip up to see daughter Brooke in Cortland IL sometime in June.

Facebook keeps reminding me about being in Buffalo 2 years ago with MikeE.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

rain, rain go away or I'll invoke the twocat rule for the first time

in my life and spend the weekend inside doing all the inside things

I should have been doing when I was always outside in inside weather.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Sayhey! MM#130

Well, it's almost noon and NO Jay.  The fake Jay must be working on a post.  Dave wrote:

"Selleck is a rough, heavy drinking, chief of police in a small New England town.  It fits well with the disappearance of Jay story line."

We need a Jesse Stone.  Only in Texas.

Keep on smiling away at those other lunch ladies, Jlynne.

Maybe come in with an old fashioned Boom Box and play them a little "Hot Lunch" from Fame.   Love that musical!

Loved marj's post about the found ship wreck.  How incredible is that?

tet, you look debonair with an umbrella.  You can dance in the rain.

Yes!  Holly and I have the Pig to look forward to and drive you all crazy about until you come run it with us!  C'mon people, there's a Finish Swine, how unique!

Now, need your help:  Can't decide if I should stick with the 4-Way Challenge or go with the Extra Cheese.  Here's the deal:

You’ve asked for a new challenge at the Flying Pig, so we’ve come up with a new, fun series within Flying Pig weekend: The 3-Way and 4-Way Challenge with Extra Cheese! It combines the Skyline Chili 3-Way (Toyota 10K, Tri State Running Company 5K and the half marathon) and 4-Way (10K, 5K and full marathon) with a twist—the Little Kings Mile on Friday night of Flying Pig weekend!

That mile on Friday:  too much?  good thing to do to loosen up?  Good thing to do so as to give Holly a little break from me?

Well, a 10K for me below work, and still mild temps in the am and lowish humidity!   And I didn't run with Speedsters at all this week.  Yeah, just call me Aamos Prudence.

Enjoy the weekend!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Long weekend greetings to all.  And hope we'll all remember those loved ones and all others who served and sacrificed.  I say this as much to remind myself as you folks, as I have too much of a tendency to focus on the long weekend and not its meaning.

Another week of no running since Sunday due to travel and VERY early mornings at the site.  Got to enjoy a little of the pre-Memorial day traffic when our flight out of Atlantic City (the only one of the day) was canceled.  Spirit Airlines is very cheap and convienent, but a limited schdeule is a definite drawback.  So my co-worker and I rented another car and drove to Logan to pick up our cars there.  Get into bed just before 1am, so slept in a little, got the packing done that I thought I would do last night and made it into work a couple hours late.  Now to pretend to work for a few hours and head up to the camp for the official opening.  And at least a couple days of running, I hope.

Not much space between our hours of sleeping and rising, Jeanne.   All I can say is Blech.

Happy SAn Antonio, Jay.

Nice soggy miles, DAve.  seems like I'm going to have to jump into acclimation--the weather's been either cool or hot--nothing in between.

ETA--Hiya Amy.  Nicely illustated post--another slow day at work?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Holly S. sorry I am of no help of crockpot green bean recipes. I do use my crockpot quite a bit, but across a limited repertoire.

mrrun I saw a picture of that boat. How does a boat get where it got?

My DW decided to work from home today. She is now off for a walk. I did weights and such this morning. Since DW was staying home today I decided to work from home as well. I was feeling a little (just a very little) bit guilty about missing a meeting at school. Then, about 2 before its start an email went out canceling it!  Got to love it when serendipity strikes!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Sayhey! MM#130

Image result for serendipity strikes

Huh?  Whadjasay stumps??

Marathon Maniac #957

Having read all of the Jesse Stone books, I have to say that Tom Selleck is not at all how I picture Jesse Stone, so I have been resistant about watching the movies.  However, maybe I should give it a try.  After all. Tom Cruise is not even remotely like the character Jack Reacher, but he did a decent job in the movie, if you could get around that part of it.

My FIL and his wife arrived from Wyoming last night.  Being avid outdoorsy folks, they brought some shotguns, and DH and the kids went shooting with them today.  I need to get 8 hours of work done, so I have been working remotely all day drafting deeds.  Effective this week, I have given up my half-day Fridays in exchange for 3 more hours of pay, but no one has told me that I had to give up my work-from-home Friday.

4.25 miles for me today in 70ish.  Still some back of the knee muscle pain, but icing afterward seemed to help quite a bit.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

When they saw you weren't around everyone thought that they should leave, too.

Holly--i love green beans, especially slow cooked.  And they have to have meat in them, too.  However, I've never actually made them, just inhaled at barbeque places that do them well, but these sound REALLY good.  (can't go wrong with bacon)  So take my 2  cents for what they're worth.

http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-green-beans-bacon-320062

http://hoosierhomemade.com/slow-cooker-green-beans/

and this isn't crock pot (and a little more complicated) but also sounds delicious.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/233794/slow-cooked-green-beans/

MOI?  nothin'.  I'm saying nothin.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

To all of you Traverse City/Bayshore running people I thought I'd tell you about a guy from my old home town of Midland Michigan, Matt Frazier. He left last night to head to Traverse City, but he is running the 125 miles up to the marathon. Apparently it is a hot day today and it is going slower than expected.

Say hello to him if you see him. Probably wouldn't remember my name but you could try it .I've been in some runs with him.

Here he is at mile 63.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13266090_10153832144598472_4267118282861394524_n.jpg?oh=69e0aeafd3b8c051e7747ef9e180b489&oe=57E352AF

RCG, it doesn't sound like your giving your foot much of a chance to recover.  Maybe you can beat it into submission.  It's neat to hear of upcoming meet ups.  Steve, I love Noah's comment.  Dave, I've read the Jesse Stone books and like them as well as Robert Parker's other books.  I've also liked the Jesse Stone movies I've seen.

This morning, it was in the high 60s, almost calm, and noticeably humid.  I slogged through 5 miles at an 11:33 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

mrrun

Twocat - the ship wrecked sometime before 1880 when the area was filled in for development.  It was probably coming from Rockland ME with lime.  Hopefully when I'm back at the lab, I'll learn more then what i'm seeing on FB & in the paper.  mta: couldn't find any cool bridges to run under/over CT has them all

6 miles at 6 am to beat the heat - a fair number of runners, but no tourists yet.  Picture from Lincoln Memorial.  We spent several hours at American Indian Museum which I recommend for anyone who hasn't been to it - also unique foods.  I've read the Jesse Stone books, but not seen any of the movies.  I prefer my own imagination.

wildchild

Carolyn

Beautiful picture, Marj!

Dave, I like your ultrarunner friend, running to the marathon!  Is he planning to run home after the race?

It's IRC here today, high 40s and overcast, and spitting snow every  now and then.  I ran 4 miles at a 12 minute pace, which isn't bad on the hills here.  I needed gloves and a jacket for the first 2 miles.

Now I'm off to town for dinner at my cousin's house - it's his birthday today, and all 4 of my Denver area cousins are coming!  We haven't all been together at the same time in years.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Sayhey! MM#130

When I was in Massachusetts in the 70s, the then-new Hancock Tower was causing Trinity Church to um, well, sort of kinda sink.

That whole area is built on marsh.   I don't remember how far down they had to dig to get to anything resembling firm ground, but it was a bit deep, right marj?

Really came on looking for Michigan photos--neat story Dave.

And now I'm here, are you ok with that Holly?  (the extra work)  And yes to staying on at home to do them.

Marathon Maniac #957

Amy - I have been mostly working those hours anyway, so I may as well get paid for them.....and if the boss fusses, I will fight for my work-at-home Fridays.  I get so much more done without my phone ringing off the hook, and the mental break is wonderful.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."