Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - w/e 06/27 (Read 566 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

Run like hell and get the agony over with.
    --Clarence DeMar

(That's what was going through my head late in my 6 mile race this morning!)

Leslie - I might take you up on stopping in your neck o' the woods, but you have to promise me (1) we can go for a run together and (2) you won't kick my butt on said run!

Joe - awww, what a cute muddy Buddy!

All dads - ((((BIG hugs)))!!!!! Hope everyone gets steaks and beers and more hugs!

Overall, I'm super-jazzed about how today's race went! We had IRC, and the course was flat, so I wanted to go for it. Ended up averaging 7:57 pace with a finishing time of 47:35, good for almost a 4 minute PR and 3rd in my AG. The gal who was #2 in my AG was only a couple seconds in front of me, so I was that close to 2nd. On the other hand, some of the fast women in the area (that sounds bad...) didn't show.

The plan was to start at 8:15 pace and see how the first 3 mi went and then maybe pick it up. I was pretty sure 8:15 was not going to be a problem, and would be good for a PR.

Mile splits:

1 - 8:14

2 - 8:14

3 - 8:13

4 - 8:02

5 - 7:41

6 - 7:16

During mile 5 I was questioning my decision to push the pace, and was pretty sure mile 6 would be slower than mile 5, but it didn't turn out that way after all. Still, it never hurt like the 5K I did back in November.

Hope you all are having good runs or good rests today!

Arla

Ex runner

flatland mountaineer

Way to go Arla!!! Negative splits and a super smokin' 7:16 mile 6, very nice job!!

A super sucky 10 for me today. Achilles were on fire at mile 8 but actually calmed down, hip hurt, back hurt. Blaming it on spending most of the night in my easy chair with very little sleep, and a hard training week (for me).

Between the farm and looking after dad my anxiety level is on high. We have most of the "have to" work done for the day, hopefully I can relax a bit.

Have a great day folks.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Dang Arla, that's a really fine looking race there young lady! Congrats on the 3rd place and very good job on the negative splits. Wow!

Jim- there will be better runs.They can't all be great. BTW,maybe you should try the bed for a better night's sleep.

Mid 90's and 60% humidity chased me inside today. 17miles on the mill. Good rendition of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow starring Christopher Walkin, then half the Mets vs Yankees before it got rained out.

Going to try to get Buddy out for 1 or 2 with many swims along the way.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Arla--smoking race.  very impressive splits.  Interesting that this was a 6 mile and not a 10K.  That extra .2 makes a big difference

joe--buddy sure looks like he likes that stream.  No place around here to let Max swim (our lake is not clean enough), but he'll spend all day in the lake in Maine if we let him.  Yet another amazing TM run. 

Jim--Hope the run, no matter how sucky, was at least an anxiety reducer and not increaser.  Also hope the rest came this afternoon.

Leslie--make it out for your 10?

I wanted 10 today as last long run before my half next Saturday.  very humid, sweaty, and only made just under 9 before knee started to twinge a bit.  I think the amount of work at the Relay on Friday and Saturday caought up with me a little.  Worth it though.  First 3 miles ended up at 9:30 pace, and ended just over 10 for the whole thing.  happy with the pace, but now I just have to figure out how to get 4 miles further.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Fantastic race, Arla!!  A 7:16 pace for M6?  I can almost smell that BQ, can you?  You end up in Eureka on a Saturday or Sunday, Karen and I will take you out for a trail run.  I don't think you'll have any problems keeping up with us.

Jim - A think spending the night in an easy chair would irritate my entire body, too.

Joe - 90s and 60?   17 miles on The Mill?   Amazing fortitude, my friend.

Stumpy - I hope that knee gets uncranky.

Well, I sort of took the day off.  I did sleep in (after I fed the cats at 4:00, then got up at 8:30), went and relaxed at the local bagel place with tomonion bagel and coffee, did a small amount of errand-running, then came home and spent 3 hrs digging and fixing up an 8' x 2' planting bed.  The Hub's gonna freak just a little when he gets home Wednesday.  I got everything planted, including spending almost half an hour digging up a bush I've been intending to move for over a year (hope I didn't kill it).  Just need to put in the border material.  My back doesn't feel to bad considering how much digging and pitching-forking I did.  Guess all that core training is actually working.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

Stumpy- it was a classic summer cooker here today,similar for you as well. Good job backing off when you felt you had to. Pretty much on your feet all weekend right?

I almost mispelled a word by omitting the e. Wonder where Ev has been hanging out?

Leslie- good job in the yard and for recognizing when you need to take off. You do a ton of work outs and run a lot more hours than any of us. Time off should be guilt-free. One of these days I'm going to fork it out and visit some friends in Reno. At that, it's only one state away and I would love to run with you guys. One more kid in college,then I'm heading west.

3miles and six swims for my furry friend. He's in the water every half mile. Just like a radiator, even in 95* , if I keep him cool, he'll keep on going.

That makes a happy 20 for Dad's Day today. That's also 43m in three days running, topping that PB by 3 miles. Now if I could just get myself to get some more consistent speedwork in......

Hey Joseph - You get to Reno, you're about 6 or so hours from me.  We'll figure out how to meet.  Would be fun to get Arla up here and, if nothing else, get in some hiking somewhere.  There's some beautiful country between Reno and Humboldt County.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Today was a SRD for me.  It's just as well as I was a bit tired from yesterday's activities.

Short week for me.  Karen and I leave Wednesday for Squaw Valley. Her sister, Kate, is running in the Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run.  I am so dang excited!  We're going to get to see some of the best of the best of trail running.  These people are the Peyton Mannings, Drew Brees, and Tom Bradys of the ultra trail running world.  Hal Koerner is looking to repeat his win last year, where he finished in 16:24:55.  This is a really difficult run, and it's the Granddaddy of the ultras.  The following are the top 5 placements last year.  Jaw dropping.

1 Hal Koerner Ashland OR M1 1 M 30-39 33 16:24:55 9:51
                  2 Tsuyoshi Kaburaki Takasaki JPN 279 1 M 40-49 40 16:52:06 10:07
                  3 Jez Bragg Warwickshire GBR 113 1 M 18-29 28 16:54:35 10:09
                  4 Jasper Halekas Oakland CA 21 2 M 30-39 33 16:56:25 10:10
                  5 Kevin Sullivan Andover MA 401 3 M 30-39 38 16:59:36 10:12

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - you guys are gonna have so much fun! I guess you'll be doing a lot of driving from checkpoint to checkpoint? Impressed that your back feels fine after moving an entire bush, yet another benefit of core work!

Joe - water dunk every half mile sounds perfect! I'm surprised you don't join him sometimes with the H&H in your neck of the woods. Sounds way better than all that TM time.

Stumpy - 9 considering the weather is good work. I would bet you got the right amount of time in, if not mileage. And yes, it bugs me that we have so many 6 mi races here. Makes it really hard to use pace calculators like McMillan.

Jim - take care of that achilles and back. Hope I didn't jinx you by asking about the achilles!

Came down a little from my PR high after reading a headline: "Pregnant Radcliffe jogs 10K in 44:00" I wasn't even jogging!! Ha! 

Easy five in run-a-mocs. I love these shoes, might even get another pair made to better fit my narrow feet.

Arla

Ex runner

Good morning all....

A couple of short runs for me, nothing special but still sneaking in a little mileage.

Arla, fantastic race/time. Super nice splits and wow, you are quite fast. Congrats.......yep, I smell a B.Q. too!

Leslie, sounds like you are going to have a blast......good luck to Kate!

Joe, the weather here has been ridiculously hot and humid as well. My 3 mile run on Saturday early morning was horribly "thick". That's great that you cranked out those miles on the treadmill though.....woohoo!

Jim,  a super sucky 10 is still 10 miles! Too bad the achilles flared up for a bit......still a super run. Backaches are the pits. Seems once you have some back problems they never really go away.

Nice 9er for you Stumpy and a very nice pace. Good luck next weekend and have fun! You'll find that extra 4.....it's amazing what we can do when we are in a race. I see no problems at all that you'll get that 13.1 in!

Have a great week all,

Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

flatland mountaineer

Just awesome mileage Joe, great job, u are a running machine.

Stumpy way to train smart. Whne I did my half in retrospect I would have cut back more my last week.

Leslie I know you are going to have a large time at Western States.....

Arla no worries on the jinx front. I do it to myself. I have to ramp so slowly either easy miles or speedwork it's really kind of pathetic compared to this crew but progress is progress and looking back I gain a little every year. I had been getting along so well with the achilles, maybe have to work the racing flats in a little slower.

Hi jewels, glad you popped in and cool you are getting some runs in during all that Heat and humidity.

Ev u out there? ;-)

Local 5k is in a few weeks and is a goal race. Really busy here on the farm, wild markets and lotsa stress equals difficulty sleeping. I start out in bed but often am up during the night. Either rest day or a 2 miler recovery today. Started out sore yesterday but worked through most of it during the day yesterday.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Jim--I'm doing my best to keep the pathetic threshold really low .  But nobody seems to mind too much.

3.8 for me this morning on the first day of "taper".  But I think I'll be putting a real taper's worth of psychosis into this week.  Various things feel twingey and I have the weather reports on constantly.  To add to the fun, I get to go to NC for 2 days starting tomorrow and hang out in 95º to get my electrical contractors started on our project down there.  Then back for a "relaxing" day at work on Friday and drive to Maine that night.  The race is about an hour further north, so will need to be on the road by 5:30am.  I'm really looking forward to that.

Thanks for all the good luck wishes--I am really looking forward to this.  Just a little dread mixed in to make it interesting.

Leslie--have fun at the WS100 and good luck to Karen.

Hey there friends!

Arla -- awesome splits and ca-ching on the AG award!  I think I read somewhere that is how it's supposed to be done Smile  Thanks for getting us off to a good start.

Jim -- loved the pick of Dessa and Lynda last week!  Beautiful girls you go there!  And 10 is 10 even if it felt sucky.  The aging parent thing is so very difficult, and definitely stressful.  Especially when they want to live on their own past the time that it's maybe not such a good idea anymore.  I definitely feel you on that one.

Joe -- awesome Buddy pick last week too!  I really think he's got the right idea.  But a treadmill in the air conditioning works too.  Sounds like you're getting it done regardless....as you always do.  Nice 3 day record mileage!

Leslie -- very cool that you're going to WS!  I'm sure you'll have a blast and have several brushes with greatness.  Will you get to do any running while there?  My old boss ran that one a time or two.  Come to think of it, I need to check in and see how he's doing these days.  His name is Pat Benner (Broomfield, CO).  If he happens to be running this year say hey for me Smile

Stumpy -- sounds like you are having quite the normal taper, complete with the mental demons, work challenges, and weather obsessions.    Remember, this is supposed to be FUN Smile.

Jewels -- cool!!!! a Jewels sighting Smile.  Glad you are getting in a few miles, and hopefully enjoying life in general.

Cindy -- yooohoooo!  I'm imagining lots of craziness going on in your life.  OK, maybe it's not really imagining Wink.

Did a few short hill repeats this morning and survived nicely.  I'm following a 10K program for now and then have a half program on tap for after that.  Mixing it up between treadmill and outside since the H & H have descended on us a bit early this year.  Also been doing pretty good with a little core and upper a couple days a week, and swimming a little mainly for recovery. 

Progress Trumps Pefection
                            stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Stumpy -- sounds like you are having quite the normal taper, complete with the mental demons, work challenges, and weather obsessions.    Remember, this is supposed to be FUN Smile.

Now you tell me!!   OK, I'll try to remember.

Hey All - Whataday! 

Arla - Yep, lots of driving then . . . . waiting . . . .

Jewels and Carol - Yea!  Nice to see you!!

Stumpy - Taper Madness.  Don't let it get the best of you, and GOOD LUCK!!!

Jim - The stress of your work seems to be unending.  Take of your mental health, as well as physical health.

30 min of cycling, followed by 50 min upper body and core this a.m.  I'm really feeling the difference with the core work, regardless of the fact it is all hidden under this layer of pooch I can't get rid of.  And in that vein - I had a great time looking for a bathing suit after work yesterday - NOT!  There's not much else out there that can make a woman feel less attractive than bathing suits.

And what freaking gives?  The Hub was suppose to be gone until sometime tomorrow.  I get home from work yesterday and he's back!  He says, "Just pretend I'm not here."  Okay - like that'll work.  Despite what you may be thinking, I do like the man - okay, love the man.  But doggone it!  I was looking forward to 4 blissful days of just me time, and I really enjoyed the first two days of it.

Gotta go ~

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance