Masters Running

Indy Marathon/Half Mary RR (Read 231 times)

Hi all--Now that I've been released from the hospital... Well, ok, I didn't need hospitalization from my participation in the Indianapolis Half-Marathon. It was a gorgeous day, for starters. Hopped in the car in the dark for the half-hour drive to Fort Harrison State Park on the N.E. side of Indpls. Ft. Harrison used to be an Army base--home to the Army Finance Center. I parked in the FC lot about 200 yards from the start/finish line. It was starting to get light when I parked at 7:30. There were over 6,000 entrants in all events--full marathon, half, half-relay and 5k. This was my first HM and my first time on the former base. It is really cool. The junior officer's quarters have been turned into duplexes and the senior quarters are large, single family residences--all built in an early 1900's style. The grounds are still home to some Army facilities so the general area still exudes a military feel without the oppressive security. We lined up on a long street lined with trees and former barracks, self-seeding by per-mile times. The start at 8:30 was the usual walk until you hit the start line, generally trying to avoid crashing for the first mile or so. The course wound around the streets of the base until exiting for a loop around a nearby neighborhood. It was around 50 deg. at the start and clothes started flying as we progressed. Out of the neighborhood and back through the base, exiting to the East and winding around a newer neighborhood before heading North to the woods on the northern edge of the former base, now a State Park. We entered the wooded loop at around mile 8 and, apparently, the RD has a sick sense of humor because the next two miles were very hilly--just what you need at that point... Evil grin We exited the wooded loop where we entered and had 2.5 miles back to the finish. I don't have any splits because I dumped them from my watch. The official times aren't posted but I did a 2:16 +/- a few seconds. I did the first couple of miles at a 11-12 min. pace partly due to traffic and partly because I was intentionally taking it slow. I also took an early potty break--nervous pee, as it were... The middle 6 miles or so were right in the 10 min. range--where I normally am and wanted to be. From 8-11, I started to slow, took another RR break and began walking through the aid stations, even stopping at one for 30 sec. or so. I ran the hills except for one long one at the 10 mile point. At that point, my left Achilles started to ache and my hips were a little sore but I was in surprisingly good shape otherwise. From 10 on in, I had a quasi-pacer. A good friend had shown up (I tried to get him to run but he was way out of shape--that's relative, he's a veteran of the NYC Marathon, Chicago and several Indy Mini's.) with his bike and he rode around to give encouragement (some would call it verbal abuse...), finally riding alongside (sidewalk or grass--not on the course) for the last three miles. The last mile, I kicked it up to better than a 9 min. pace but that was just to make me feel better--the overall time wasn't affected that much, IMO. Great course, great weather, great volunteers and great organizer. Pre-race pasta dinner the night before and a free post-race cookout for participants. The aid stations on the HM had water and Gatorade. They had that and GU packs on the second half of the full marathon course. If you're in the neighborhood next year, I'd recommend you give this race a try. I'll be back. Tim C.

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

Renee the dog

Whew! You had me worried with that opener! Great racing and congrats on the movie star parking! Cool

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Greta race and RR Tim. I have wanted to run your race before, but heard it was super hilly...was it? Good job and waaay to race it Buddie. Hey, I am in Alexandria, and don't know what to do...need ah little help here friend...I'm in my F250 and it doesn't seem to be helping, lol. Great job Tim! The other Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Top 'O the World!

Awesome RR Tim! Smile I've heard verbal abuse can be helpful..... Wink
          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
            Nicely done, Driver, on what sounded like a very hilly course. Post-race cookout....now that's what I'm talkin' about! Big grin
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              Tim--If the F250 doesn't do it on a Sat. nite, I'm out of ideas. Wink The hilly part just zapped me because I wasn't expecting it. The rest of the course was pretty flat. Having said that, the full marathon course headed west from the park and would include a killer hill toward the end. Thanks all and I'm intending to do it again next year. Tim C.

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

nice job!! sounds like you ran a smart race!! maybe next year your bike friend will run it with you -- i'm sure you were an inspiration!!

denise

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats, Tim, and since this was your first half marathon, it was a PR! Unfortunate that you didn't know about the hills - it's always nice to know what to expect, and even to preview the course if possible. But now you'll know for next year.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Congratulations, Tim! Way to overcome the hills and verbal abuse. Big grin

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tim congrats on your 1sthalf marathon, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Way to finish strong & turn that verbal abuse into fuel. Halfs are the best, long enough that finishing is a challenge but short enough that mere mortals can attempt to run hard the whole way. Also you can at least walk normal the next day and maybe even run the next day or least in 3 days. Cool Thanks for sharing Smile

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

SteveP

Tim C!! Sweet race!!! The opening line is an attention grabber. Thanks for the RR..

SteveP

Mariposai

Way too cool. Congrats on the well ran race. Hills are your friend, right?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Nice half, AA717. You took on those hills and beat them. Congrats on a great race. TomS
                              I bet your friend was just jealous that you were in shape to run and he had to tag along on the bike. Give it right back to him! Congrats--sounds as if it is a challenging course. Take care of that Achilles, now. grins, A
                              Masters 2000 miles

Marathon Maniac #957

Tim - well done on your first HM! Nice description, too. I may come over for this race sometime, since it's not that far away....maybe I'll see you there. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."