Masters Running

2's-Day, April 8 Boomer Runs (Read 649 times)

In celebration of my 24th Anniversary yesterday .... A man arrived home to find his wife standing in the doorstep with a sexy nightgown on and a gleam in her eye. She said to him "Tie me up, and you can do whatever you want ..." So the man tied her up and went golfing. Bill
    Ahem--anyone else remember Tammy's story about the woman acquitted of murder when her husband accidentally sat on his golf club, or something like that Confused Roll eyes
    Masters 2000 miles
    btb1490

I hope everyone is having a happy Tuesday so far! My arteries are clogged just from reading yesterday's dailies! from yesterday... Mariposai- that is some hill you climb! Yikes! I would need grappling hooks to get up that thing! And you did it twice! I would say you conquered it! I'm glad you find my posts useful, thank you! Vista- remind me never to play you in golf. The word "ringer" comes to mind! Keep at it with your physical fitness prodding to them. You're planting seeds that may just bloom some day. Ribs- sorry about the aborted run yesterday, but I was also glad to see you rebounded and went to the gym instead. dg- I've thought about bringing a drill to the gym and drilling some holes in the footpods on the elliptical. Aamos- you are the devil. Thank you! jules- you look no worse for the wear after getting blown off a cliff. Nice picture, thanks! SueT- I'm glad I wasn't the only one drooling yesterday. dromedary- potato chips on ice cream? Sounds interesting. I have a small Fuji digital that I take with me on runs that I like. That picture came out very well with just your cellphone though! Thank you for the ankle hug! Smile Too bad your freight train breathing doesn't scare the skunks away. Cmom- a LunaChix weekend sounds like fun! Any word from the doctors office yet? flkjr- Well done on the 5k! That's a great time! Enke- I hope it was low fat mayo. Tall- I hope you share your writing with us, it would be great to read. mainerunnah- well done on your last long run before Boston! wildchild- anything with peanut butter cups in it has got to be good! SteveP- sounds like day 1 was a sticky situation for you. Does that mean the truck never had its oil changed in over a year? Nice run afterwards. Smile wa5yom- glad the shin survived. Promise me the next 2 weeks will be EASY on it! eliz- what a humanitarian you are, putting that poor ice cream out of it's misery, while not exposing anyone to the aftermath. JJJ- thanks for the blog link! Great pictures! Craneium- your voice was lost, but that's no excuse for not typing! Glad you are back, I enjoy your stories about what you're doing with the kids. biketm- that was some bike ride! I tend to agree with your assessment about bikers vs. runners personalities in general, but as always there are exceptions. Keep up the great work! PJH- it's a fine line between telling a kid what to do vs. "guiding" then in the right direction. Good luck with the rest of the negotiations! Neat photo! deez4boyz- sounds like you need something a bit more potent than OTC motrin. Sad Maybe the chocolate will help? from today... hopeful4ever- Mary, what a great message to start us off with! Congrats on taking the plunge. With the training you are doing now, you are off to a great start! Looking forward to following you along and keeping you psyched! Teresa- have a great trip! Enjoy the weather. perch- lots of sproinkiness from you lately! Jeanne- those conditions at the track meet sound rough. I'll bet it felt good to thaw out later. You had a good reason to oversleep, that was some game. Tall- that was some workout! Keep that up, and that masters runner you are seeing tonight won't be beating you in races much longer. Holly- sounds like all systems are go! Just in time for a certain race you have coming up. Smile breger- no TIVO or recording devices in your house? Its a good sign with your running when you feel you have to keep holding yourself back. PeterNC- sounds like you really "cleaned up" during your run! Craneium- I'll bet it feels good to get the bike out again. Don't go getting dizzy and crashing into something! SueT- we'll need pictures of those fish you are gonna nab! Sounds like a great weekend planned! Good running! Twocat- sometimes even easy runs aren't the best thing for you. Be smart about this PLEASE. Do you have access to an elliptical? evanflein- Maybe you can sneak out at some point today. I hope so. Glad you made it there ok. WRFB- how are the temps in Nevada where you are? Mariposai- thats encouraging that you felt good today after the mountain climbing you did the other day! With your asthma, since you know what you will be up against in Wenatchee, can you get anything special to take to combat the problem? Love those Wenatchee apples, in the business I'm in, we buy a lot of them and ship them east here. Ribs- glad to hear yesterday's foot glitch was just a glitch. I'm impressed with how you are handling your comeback. Good luck to the Saint tomorrow on her 11 miler, it'll be good to hear about the day you can join her. vista- I wonder how the rest of that story went... that was a cool video, thanks! enke- Chewsday? That was yesterday, wasn't it, with all the ice cream talk? I don't think I knew about your basketball background. Cool! Tough sport, no wonder you are such a tough runner! breger- I wonder where that guys golf club ended up. Happy anniversary! BCMorant- I can't believe that story about your dad's business partner! I'm not sure if that is dedication, or insanity! Vista mentioned nostalgia. While channel surfing this AM while doing my proprioceptive exercises, I came across an infomercial for the Jack LaLanne Juicer! He ranks right up there with Dick Clark as someone who seems to have been around forever, and is ageless. He was even still wearing his one piece workout outfit. Had a very nice walk with the pooch this AM down on the beach. It was windy and chilly, but still nice. That used to be our morning routine until I started in with Boston training, so it was really nice to be back to doing that again. Funny thing is, when I would get up in the AM, the dog would usually get up too, knowing what was coming. Since we haven't done this in quite a while now, he got into the habit of continuing to sleep after I get up. It took quite a few pokes to get him going this morning! Followed up the walk with some exercises. Went to my GP doctor today to get my ankle checked out. He too is a runner, so for a GP, I feel comfortable going to him with my running issues. He gave me a referral to a surgeon to have whatever the lump is in my ankle removed. It's most likely the cause of my ankle woes, because it is right next to the tendon and is probably irritating it, so it'll be good to get that sucker out of there. He said it should be relatively minor surgery, unless the lump has attached itself to my tendon. So we'll see. I'm gonna have it done sometime in May. You guys would love my job. I'm in charge of keeping the office stocked with goodies. Well that's not all I do here, but that's my favorite part! Just got back from the wholesale store with $178 worth of stuff. Most of it's pretty healthy, but not all of it is.... Evil grin Let's see what Pooh has to say about all of this... “When having a smackerel of something with a friend, don't eat so much that you get stuck in the doorway trying to get out.” Have a great day, gang! Smile

GreenMan

Nice run Mari, you runners who persever through asthma to run amaze me. Also I forgot to mention I saw my first large golden swallowtail for the year on the mountain top last Sunday. Smile I ended up running nekkid again, technekkid. All my clothes but no GPS, no HRM, no time, no MP3, no cellphone. My 305 needs a battery or repair, and I couldn't find my stop watch. At one time I might have thought, "why run if I can't measure it." But you guys have helped straighten me out on that. I figure the body "records" more information about a run than Garmin could ever hope to. It's just in organic, non-numeric, format. It's all there, in its own language and memory. I did have memory of distances at various point along the rail trail so it wasn't totally primative. Warmed up with about 3 and half miles feeling sluggish and uninspired. Started running harder up a slight hill, maybe 2%, Stopped at about 600m turned and trotted back to the bottom. I did six total. I thought about an ancient buffalo herd's first encounter with human hunters. How the hunters tired them with intervals until a spear in the side would feel like relief. Then I ran a mile of cooldown and walked home. JJJ
        Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
          5 slooow miles this morning. I'm still a little stiff and sore from Sunday's race, which makes me just a tad nervous. This would be a really stupid time for an injury. But I'm sure it just means that the race was a max effort workout, and I just need another day or so for complete recovery. Congratulations on taking the big leap, Mary. We're very excited for you!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Mariposai

Mariposai- With your asthma, since you know what you will be up against in Wenatchee, can you get anything special to take to combat the problem? Love those Wenatchee apples, in the business I'm in, we buy a lot of them and ship them east here. Smile
            I do use albuterol for the bad asthma days besides the daily meds I use as needed. It is just frustrating to not be able to know how the lungs will behave on marathon day. So, do you ever come to Wenatchee? if you ever do, please let me know and we can plan a boomer's run and get-together. I am only 100 miles a way from there and so is fjordrunner.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Wow - I'm first! Well, then - I'll post a first . . . . . I've signed up for my first Marathon!! The Detroit Marathon - October 19 - Bib #6106. I get all fluttery just thinking about it!! Out for 6 less than sproinky miles with Brinkly this morning. 9:57 pace, 35 degrees, no wind - pretty enjoyable weather overall. 300 crunches and 25 pushups too. Cheers! ~Mary
              Cheers to you Hopeful Mary! This is fabulous. We will be running just a few hours west of you in Grand Rapids that same day. Good luck Train well Run smart Have fun Very cool ~ RCG or
              LaVita
              btb1490

I do use albuterol for the bad asthma days besides the daily meds I use as needed. It is just frustrating to not be able to know how the lungs will behave on marathon day. So, do you ever come to Wenatchee? if you ever do, please let me know and we can plan a boomer's run and get-together. I am only 100 miles a way from there and so is fjordrunner.
                I wish you a pollen free run on marathon day, Mariposai! "Only" 100 miles away! Smile Our operation in Washington is in Wallula, which I suspect is much too far away for you. Sometimes I do travel there via Seattle, perhaps that is better. A get together would be great, I will certainly let you know next time I'm in town! It would be an honor to meet you and fjordrunner!
                  smackeral, I like that word. I'm back, finally--it's in the 40s here and guess what? More snow is predicted for this week. Y'know, I'd like to scoop up all the white stuff and smackerall back to the North Pole. Evil grin 7 miles in a few smackerals under an hour. Hey, btb said I was the Evil grin so I'm just acting my part here. (Yea, that's my excuse.) grins, a Jesse--you're funny, LaVita! So great to hear from you!
                  Masters 2000 miles

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Cheers to you Hopeful Mary! This is fabulous. We will be running just a few hours west of you in Grand Rapids that same day. Good luck Train well Run smart Have fun Very cool ~ RCG or
                    Oh Rose - are you serious!!! Grand Rapids is 1/2 hour away from "home" and I've done the 1/2 marathon there twice . . . with our Boomer friend Rochrunner! I just decided I wanted a bigger venue for the first time out.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

“When having a smackerel of something with a friend, don't eat so much that you get stuck in the doorway trying to get out.”
                      Oh, great, NOW you tell me.....(I'm so embarrassed)...... Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

btb1490

Oh, great, NOW you tell me.....(I'm so embarrassed)...... Big grin
                        Poor Holly... Wink
                          Mary congrats on the big jump! If I survive Bayshore I am deciding between Grand Rapids and Detroit in the fall. I haven't decided yet but am leaning toward Grand rapiids. All that talk about ice cream from yesterday was interesting but whats with the peanut butter and whatever else is in the cupboard at the time? Dead I like my peanut butter straight up and neat. jjjessee, thats my favorite kind of runs, just out the door with nothing but a pair of shoes and my shorts. About as necked as is legal. You can concentrate on the world around you and you notice things you normaly would miss. I wanna be like Jack when I'm 100. He must be about that old by now. I remember my mother doing her workout every morning with Jack, That bicycle kick thingy was pretty funny though. 5 tempo type miles for me between jobs at work. 43:00 and a 8:35 pace. This was pretty comfortable but I can still feel the 18 from Sunday I think. Good runs everyone

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Slowed down during the afternoon classes for a grand total of 18.5 miles today. I am tired but it is a good tired. The kids enjoy having a teacher run with them and I think many ran when they would have preferred to walk.
                            munchkn883

Posting quickly since I'm still in TX enjoying my grandkids!! GD1 walked 1.2 miles with me and didn't complain once....of course, her mom is a running addict!! I think she is going to be a marathoner...it'll be a few years since she's only 4 1/2! I did another lap for a total of 2.4 miles....it is HOT here for April.....at least it seems that way to me!! Flying home late afternoon tomorrow.
                                Opening Day and the Sox are ahead in the 6th. Big grin Big grin They got their Championship rings today. Cool I've got a wicked case of Boston fever. Embarrassed I'll go now.
                                Masters 2000 miles