Masters Running

10/2 for Tuesday (Read 40 times)

SteveP

Mariposai hits the big 4-0!! Well done on all fronts.

Tramps is still looking to cool things off during his five miler.

Henrun getting all cycled up to amble on over to see Amby.

Jlynne getting 5.62 then whooping it up with the Pack.

Holly taking a running break. Lettuce hope she finds her salad.

RunnerKSA having a  revealing reaction to the MRI. I'm glad it's not worse.

Fatozzig's back finding the worst place ever to take a leak. After feeling inclined to work her quads, she discovered reality isn't as bad as our worst case scenario fears. I'm glad it was only a bad dream and not a nightmare.

Deez4boyz indicating the something's fishy with her MIL while she herself is putting in marathon shifts that leave her spinning. Nice 4.6.

Tetsujin209 cycle/run/cycle before getting all fruity over nutrition.

TomWhite getting heavy handed. How are the geese?

TwoCat is taking a stand on his recovery. I'm sorry dude, it must be a frustrating.

Spacityrunner is having fun with a hound.

AnneB looking on the bright-side of her 5 and adding a little cheering cross training.

BTY is found that life was going swimmingly until we corrupted him.  He's really mixing it up with his stretching and a pleasant 2 1/2.

The very talented Surly Bill getting an 8:10 5.1. Oh My.

Joe618...3+ on the dark-side. Sorry...nothing cleaver...I can't imagine how the portable porta pots secure their load while bumping down a two track.

Evanflein enjoyed a long run weekend. Though her legs may have been toast, we're reminded that our training cannot outpace our appetite. Darn. Peter told me that we all need someone who loves us enough to let us know when we're screwing up. With a year or so of practice, I'm getting better at hearing this.

Our GS fell asleep playing a game on DW's tablet. I gently woke him up.

My assistant called in sick!! Whoot whoot! I got a few things done then an email came across my desk. Saturday, I wrote a quick letter to one of our suppliers requesting a buy back. She said I made hot coffee come out of her nose. I've only seen that once and the pain the old boy went through was hilarious. I'm not sure how much progress I'm making in regards to company email and phone etiquette policies. But I'm trying. Well...I'm entertaining the notion of trying...Well...actually...I don't care.

Two miles on the treadmill.

SteveP

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Steve, you never cease to amaze and amuse!

I went to PT for my ankle issue yesterday. The new orthotics are making such a positive difference that he just gave me some some stretches/exercises to strengthen my wayward tibial tendon and sent me on my way, suggesting I could come back if I want to, but he doesn't really feel I need to.

Sorry I missed the luncheon and Amby yesterday, Henrun & Marj, but there was no way I could spare that much time out of my day.

Had a meeting last evening with the crew that is going to shoot a video to help promote our fundraiser 5K. It'll be a combination of drone and ground video with some course work done ahead of race day ( just in case we get carpy weather), and lots on race day. These are two high school kids (one is the son of friends of ours), both of whom are licensed drone pilots. Gotta love it...

Yesterday was a SRD, and I woke up at 4 today to the sound of steady and significant rain outside, so I rolled over and stayed in bed for a while before the cat demanded to be fed, which I did, and then did about 30 min of stretching and exercises. I sure am getting Oct. off to a slow start, and will have some ketching up to do.

Have a greta Tuesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Jlynne

Hey guys. Happy Tuesday. Not sure that's the "gentle" way to wake someone from a nap though Steve! Thanks for the great recap. I'm sure doing this every day takes a lot of time, and I appreciate all your hard work.

So glad the orthotics are working out Jay. Doesn't it make you happy when an injury issue is so easily solved? Could you (or anyone) find a quick fix for my hamstring?

Life is good around here lately - for sports fans anyway. The Brewers are still playing and the Packers don't stink. Well, not this week anyway.

Raining, windy and 49° this morning. I cancelled my tee time and went to the Y. An hour on the elliptical and 20 minutes of weights and core. A friend and I signed up to share a personal trainer to "push us" a little harder. First session is this afternoon. I hope I can lift my arms above my head and walk tomorrow!

Have a great Tuesday everyone.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

"We tend to emotionally react to a lot of things that cross our paths and I think it's important to learn how to respond rather than react. Reactionary moves tend to escalate situations, whereas a responsive action tends to have some forethought with the circumstance you are encountering and how best to deal with the situation w/o escalation. I think this is a good lesson for Holly's DD."

Tammy says it better than anyone else. Thank you, Tammy.

I believe one should say something if they see something. Especially in this day and age. Everyone should stand up to bullies for sure. But we do not want to become what we despise.

70F

Back to "The Plan".

While the rest of the group ran through Eastern State Hospital and further, I walk/ran the opposite way through Skipwith. Loosely sticking to The Plan, I walked 5 minutes and ran 1 minute. It was a lovely morning.

Mostly an auditory delight. I always try to get past Cujo Corner without the yapper barking. Alas, I almost made it but the dog did bark before I made it to through the intersection.

The dog quieted so the insects increased their chirps and buzzes. Soon, the owls hooted calls and responses to create an owl choir extraordinaire which serenaded me to the drainage pond with its spouting fountain splashing a lovely wet tune.

As I made my way up the hill on Piney Creek Drive, the rhythmic sound of my own breathing was only interrupted by the spiz spiz spiz siz siz siz of the automatic sprinklers popping up in the devil strip.

As I walked/ran on, I could hear the distant lonely chug of a coal train. Which brought me to the other side of Piney Creek where the sound of my own feet plud plud pludding on the asphalt made me smile.

My watch showed over 33 minutes at the bottom of the Tyler Brooks hill. Three minutes over The Plan. So I hit Stop on the watch and walked back to the rec center. With the insects humming me home.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Quickadder

7.3 early morning miles with DD. Welcome to October - dew point 71, humidity 100%. DD has a sore hip, so rode her bike while I ran, which lets me go faster. Average pace 9:47 which is getting close to my goal MP (I'm using 4:10 to 4:15 as my marathon target).

With aging up for the 2020 Boston, combined with the adjusted BQ times, my BQ time just moved from 3:55 to 4:05. Perhaps I ought to start a new abbreviation (at least I don't remember seeing it) of BQP - Boston Qualifying Pace - which for me will be 9:21.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Upcoming race: Contraband 5 miler 5/4/24 

Off Topic-

ohboyohboy

...we just got

our Christmas Choir music

since it was the FIRST time I had sung in a choir 15-years ago, it's special to me

the Orchestra

are the Instructors for each instrument at our college

check out #4 and #10

......pretty Cool

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QTUAJamP0VtzHeJ_137n7zn3VwxTSrcW

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Henrun

3 miles in a gentle drizzle (sorry for being a rule breaker😈). Haven’t raced since February but signed up for a 5 K this coming Sunday. Last year it poured but, this year, weather promises to be nice and sunny. So, even if I finish last, it’l be Fun (one of my favorite courses).

At the luncheon yesterday a couple of runners from Maine reminded me that I had given a talk 30 years ago to the MaineTrack Club on the use of imagery in running and they were still using those techniques. I had completely forgotten that I had given that talk (probably because it was with my ex). It feels good to know that I was an inspiration way back when I really could run.

BTW,JLynne, thanks for asking about my back. Much better and no pain since doing morning stretches and watching my sitting posture.

For the many people that wanted a picture of the cake Mariposai baked for the post-opening party for the exhibit about my mom's time in Neuremberg, here it is!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

anneb

Morning all. 3.75 damp miles around the neighborhood pre-work. Treacherous double acorns all around (it seems we are having a big acorn year - I feel like some years we hardly have any?). Anyways - hopefully it dries out today so the H can at least blow them off our driveway. Our old dog absolutely hates walking on them!

So, we'll see if baseball continues on for the Cubs tonight - it's win or go home time. I hope the team I saw on Sunday shows up and not the one I saw yesterday 

Anne

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Yummy looking cake!

Amazing how lack of help is a help.  And I can see that coffee nose could be an occupational hard around you.

Thought I might be given an excuse to skip this morning when I heard the rain, but that was Jay o'clock and not 5:30 when the real alarm went off.  No rain then, just a bit of mist.  First time with headlamp, so got the snowstorm effect in the beam.  3.1 miles around the lake.

I figure IF I can maintain present pace AND go 26.2 miles (twice), I MIGHT be able to BQ when I'm 80.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

good morning all!

I can't believe it's October already. This is where the rest of the year really seems to fly by for me. Seems all our family birthdays are this time of year, holidays, scrambling to do fall cleanup before it starts raining too much, etc. 

I had a nice 3 day weekend. Saturday worked a kitten adoption event all day (oohhh, sweet little kittens!!), Sunday ran 15 mountain miles with a couple friends, and yesterday we had all our carpets cleaned. you spend more time prepping for that task than it actually takes to do. We did have them professionally cleaned, so it meant moving as much furniture as we could, which turned into some major dusting and vacuuming (who knew so much dog hair ended up being under furniture pieces that never get moved??!!), which turned into decluttering a few things and making a pile o' stuff to donate. I was way more exhausted after yesterday then I was after running 15 miles the day prior. 

So today is back to work where I can relax!   But just a 3 day work week for me so I can't relax too much. Taking Friday off to head up to Corvallis to see the college-man, go to a football game, run a race.

Tammy

pfriese

Good morning all. Even though we got back on Sunday, I'm still trying to catch up. I skipped yesterday's run to try to get back on track. Hopefully this morning's 11 mile run will be the start. It was a bit warm & muggy, but it's done.

Paul

Marathon Maniac #957

Boy that cake looks delicious!

Kittens!  Adorable!

Ibu-free and pain-free - life is good!

I cheated and ran a day early, but I ran really slowly and was careful not to bounce my step much (so as not to jar my mouth).  I just bought a pair of Adidas Supernova and tried them out.  Not sure about them yet.  I have always run in Saucony Ride, but unfortunately the arthritis-enlarged big toe knuckle on my right foot (okay, I will say it, bunion) rubs on a seam in the Rides and gets blisters on really long runs. Plus I think the seam in the front contributes to the blisters under my toenails.  The Adidas have a smooth mesh in the front, and should not cause bunion/toenail distress.  But they are built up a little more than I am used to, and for all that did not feel any more cushioned.  We shall see.

4 miles total, in a breezy 73 degrees at 6am.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I seem to recall a couple of specific posts that indicated happiness at no picture of the cake.  I think I gained 2 pounds just looking at that.

Lovely post, Rosie ~~

SteveP - Your grandkids are indeed lucky to have you for a grandpa.

Tammy - What race?

1 hr core/ST this a.m. for me with the new PT exercises: Banded Monster Walks, Static/Limited Range Lunges, and Quad Busters (is it even legal to have a PT exercise called "Quad Busters"??).  Egads!  I can tell my legs haven't been doing much the past 3 months.  He also had me walk on a treadmill yesterday at various degrees of incline to get a better idea of how my right hip isn't rotating properly . . . . did I mention how out of shape I am right now???

A coworker is having issues with her upper hamstring.  I tried to give her some sage advice, but not so sure she's willing to listen to it.  One of the things I said, "You can listen to what I'm telling you from experience or you can do what I did and end of up out of the game for 2 years."

Took me 6 hours yesterday to get through all the emails, etc., that built up while I was gone. 

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Leslie, I'm running the Condor25K in Corvallis on Sunday morning. Kim and I will tow our trailer up on Friday, stay at the nearby KOA, have David and his roommates out to our campsite for Friday dinner (college kids love free meals, so yes we are taking advantage of that to get them to have dinner with us!), then Saturday night is the home football game against WSU, Sunday morning race.

Tammy