Masters Running

Thursday Sept. 3 - Master Runs and Workouts (Read 404 times)

King of PhotoShop

Twocat, consider this:  I got there around noon on Thursday, and didn't run til 11:30 Friday night.  Then you just run once, and wait around until your 11 teammates run, then you run again.  Then after the race there is that beach party and you go to bed, and the next day there was much fooling around with packing, going back to the first hotel to pick up remaining luggage, returning vans, etc., before we finally flew out at 3:30.  So I ran for about 2.5 hours total during a 4 day trip.  Spareribs

quick post -- my garmin wouldnt turn on ..........gggggggggrrrrrrrrrrr have to deal with it later as i need to get ready to visit my son

8miles total   ran 15 min then did 5 sets 1 min fast 2 min easy   followed by 4 min easy then another 5 sets of 1 min fast 2 min easy and ran home .......... did this on an out and back run that i've measured  before ........ so weird not having my garmin

denise

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Denise.. did you try a soft reset by pressing mode and lap buttons at the same time?

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good Afternoon All ---- Boy, some really good runs posted today. Byll, I guess with my simple mind I would lose track of 22 repeats and recoveries, and it would drive me nuts. I'm like Erika I guess, because I like my workouts less complicated (especially first thing in the morning)....but good job ---- I tried to post my run last night, but couldn't get on here at RA. This would be my first real test to see if my calf is well enough to run on....tests like this are always scary, huh? ----I got in 8 miles at 8:47 ave pace, and my calf behaved just fine....I was giddy like Steve too ----- My plan for a while is to Cycle on Tues - Thurs - and long on Sat's (100 miles or more). Then run on Mon - Weds - Fri - and long on Sun's. I will do this until I know my calf is truely healed, then get back to running all the time again ----- I really don't know about my Fall Marathon, as I would really have to cram in a lot of miles in a short period of time. Hence making injury more likely again....I don't want that. ----Thanks Carolyn: My shoulder and ribs are still very sore, but not as much though. Monday was the worse day, then each day I feel a little better. The road rash is a different story and it about kills me to move around, but I will just have to tough that out for a while. On my run last night it was uncomfortable with both my shoulder / ribs and road rash, but I just try and not think about it....as I have a fairly high tolerence of pain (as everyone rolls their eyes, I know LOL) -----Hope everyone has a great day! -----TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Renee the dog

Seven miles this morning -- 2 with Renee and 5 without on the sand.  Nothing monumental to report, other than yes, indeed, jellyfish are as slippery as they appear.

dg, Dutch Wonderland is an amusement park for the under 10 set.  Many are adult rides either scaled down or fitted in a way that parents can accompany the small ones.  My 5 yr old and I got the Tilt-a-Whirl (full sized) spinning so well my sunglasses whipped off my head. 

I agree with Tim -- I'd have been all confused by all of Bill's repeats...

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

evanflein

On my run home last night, I was feeling a little time pressure to get home before DS2 had his soccer tryouts. Needn't have worried as DH showed up and took him. But it got me thinking... how the hell do you guys get up and run 11, 12, 13+ miles before work? I start thinking ok, to be at work by 7:45, I have to leave by 7:25 or so, it takes me at least 1 hr 15 mins to get myself and the boys out of the house (dealing with inevitable last minute stuff, etc), and it would take me at least 2 hours 15 min or so to do a 12-13 mile run with getting ready, warm up, cool down, etc. So now you have me getting up at 4 a.m.... and this would be after DS2 just got home from soccer tryouts at 9:30 p.m. and needed dinner (not an unusual time for things to get done at our house). Getting ready for the next day, checking mail, cleaning up, etc, etc, takes another couple hours. I'm not getting to bed till 10 or 10:30 at the absolute earliest. Most nights it's a lot later. And that's not with doing anything much in the evening like a meeting, late games, etc.

How the hell do you guys do it? I feel like an idiot for not being able to wrap my head around it!

Slo

Erika

I'm up at 4:00 and usually in bed around 9:00 - 9:30. My DW is the one who'll wait up for the kids.

This sucks when we're guest at somebody's. I can't turn the 4:00am internal alarm off and there I sit there in the dark, wide awake and not wanting to wake up our host.

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - I got in 13 miles today only because I went into work late.  But still, we're almost always in bed by 9:30, so those early wake-ups aren't so hard to deal with.  (The kids are still young enough that their soccer stuff is done by 8pm or thereabouts.  The high schoolers go later, I know.)  I generally get up at 5am, unless I want to get in more miles than usual, don't have to be at work until 8:30 (leave the house at 8:15).  DH wakes the kids at 6:30 before he leaves for work, so my job is to make sure they eat, dress, and make it to their buses, so as long as I get back by 7am I'm fine, and really, I could do another mile or 2 on the TM then if I really want to crunch my getting-ready time.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet, one of the links you posted yesterday appears to be broken. 

I don't run barefoot, but I get the logic and was interested in reading the article.

thanks extrabones.  It was worth repeating so reposted with the correct link in coastwalker's "Are You Better Off . . "

here's an excerpt.

Barefoot Running: An Opposing View

. . . . Why do you suppose barefoot running has taken off like it has?
                    I have no earthly idea. I just don't get it. I mean, the human foot is a wonderful thing,

but it's fundamentally inferior to a quality running shoe.

Does the human foot have PolyGraf UnderG.I.R.D.® support panels?

Not last time I checked, it didn't.

. . . . Are you saying that running shoe technologists are smarter than God?
                    I'm saying that God may have created a lot of cool stuff,

but He never came up with a Grip-Lok TETHER Clamp® system for a more stable ride. 

http://dailyviews.runnersworld.com/2009/08/running-barefoot-an-opposing-viewpoint.html

ps - not that anyone would ever say anything about it or anything like that but, in case anyone did, it might be about whether or not you actually met any of the HTC goddesses.  <<<<(pictures/pictures)>>>

pps - if you ever get stood up by any of the Seattle goddesses,

ask dAAve about where I'll take you for a barefoot run

tim - not that anyone would ever say anything about it or anything like that but, in case anyone did, it might be about why a runner/triathlete is cheatin. . . , I mean drafting in the first place.

2cat - actually, except for barefoot kids being pushed in strollers, there's more bare feet in your avatar than I see in most events.

erika - me too but I'd like to know how YOU do it in the dark at twenty below!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Perch, yippee!     hey.   what were the shorts you got that were so good at wicking?

dg... here's the women's version:

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageWRA-AWCMFS.html

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

TammyinGP

I have two pairs of those shorts, Perch. They are a bit baggier than I like (but probably my own fault for losing weight since I first got them), but overall I do like them. I wear them the most often.

Tammy

Jlynne

I don't know if anyone caught the article in the August 31st issue of Sports Illustrated, but there was a great story about Arthur Webb, a 67 year-old retired guy from Santa Rosa, California who has run 12 Badwater Ultramarathons. The first paragraph drew me in right away:

"It's been a month now, and the top of Arthur Webb's right big toe remains a sunken rectangle of pale, wrinkled skin. Not that he's upset, considering that Webb is the one who yanked the toenail off with a pair of pliers in the first place. It's something he does to both big toes every year, just after he squeezes his feet into a pair of too-small shoes and runs 15 miles to loosen the nails. Otherwise, then tend to crack and bleed as the toes swell like tiny, overinflated balloons during the Badwater Ultramarathon, the grueling 135-mile race through Death Valley that Webb has run for the past 12 summers."

Webb is a retired postal worker and does the ultramarathon to inspire kids from dysfunctional families. Unbelievable...

wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, that's gotta hurt to pull your big toenails off with pliers... 

But I guess someone who has run Badwater 12 times is used to a little pain.

I did a slow recovery run at lunchtime in sunny 85° conditions.  5.11 miles at 11:11 pace.  Lots of elevenses!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

tetsujin209

Spareribs you need a new team!  Here is what typically happens during the relay with my team.

1.  Arrive the night before in a panic wondering if we will miss dinner.  Eat, take lots of pictures, head to the condo, take lots of pictures, unpack, keep taking pictures.

2.  Get up the next day.  Start van decoration.  take pictures, keep decorating.

3.  Go for breakfast or lunch depending on which vehicle you are in.  Find out some thought they would save some money by not buying the food vouchers.  Tough on them.  Go eat.  Take more pictures.  Listen to the cheapskates grumble about being hungry.  Take pictures of them anyway.

4.  Start race.  I have always been in the first van.  Our second van heads back to the condo to pack, decorate some more, take more pictures, and then go off to the VTA and eat.

5.  While in vehicle get assigned a job.  Drive, navigate, runner spotting and support (means find the whatever the person wanted and then run out to get it to them at the designated points), picture taking, prepare to run next, and of course run.  Notice all six people have a job!

6.  Get lost between at least one VTA while off.  Panic that we will be late.  Start yelling to go in all sorts of random directions.  Finally, ask somebody where to go.  On about the third try find somebody that actually directs you the right way.

7.  Get two hours of sleep if you are lucky.

I do not know about your HTC team but my RTB team keeps me pretty busy the whole time!  It is my favorite race of the year.  This year they will borrow my Garmin since I cannot be there to lend it myself.  Alas, this will nix the getting lost part so perhaps this year will prove less entertaining. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

We've been struggling to get to bed on time this week.  We have houseguests, and I can't quite bring myself to run off to bed at 9pm and leave them on their own.  So fatigue is building...

9.0 miles, slower than Tuesday/Wednesday.  The temps were still cool, but I needed a break. 

Denise - I'm so sorry your son is back in the hospital.  I know you must be so worried.  Hopefully he's getting the care he needs to get well or at least better manage his illness.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason