Masters Running

40's + on the Run w/e 5/15 (Read 443 times)

jfa

because they serve wine at the finish. Evil grin
    Ok that does it! Tomorrow, I'm moving to California!

Signed up to run a HM in Lodi this Sunday just 'cause it's close and because they serve wine at the finish. Evil grin Arla
      Ooh - I'm trying to remember the name of the winery my conference buddy, Denise, and I stopped at a couple of years ago. Think, Leslie, think! A most excellent chardonnay. We bought a case and split it between the two of us. When I got home, I had to hide it 'cause whenever we'd have people over, The Hub would try to bring it out. Uh, NO! Not for consumption by anyone but me. The name . . . . if I remember, I'll get back to you. Joe - Come on out to California! The state is broke, gas is more expensive, taxes are up, cost of living is higher - but it's a grand place to be! Big grin

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

You guys can also come to TX Cool....the Vineyard Run 5K is about a mile from my house here in Grapevine at Delaney Vineyards. Usually in Sept or Oct. OK, so the wine is not high quality stuff Dead, but there IS tasting after the race.
        Progress Trumps Pefection

Top 'O the World!

Yeah?! hmmmm.......might just have to do an "alcohol tour" Evil grin front range here is full of micro-breweries! western slope has the wineries....will need to puruse the calendar & see if they host any "wine supported" races...... I not trying to kill Leslie! Big grin the ONLY way Leadville is in MY future is as crew! Wink mta: still looking, but had forgotten...Leadville does have a trail marathon/heavy half (15 miles) in July...& a separate 50M later in July
          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
            Lots of things going on here in the 40's group.... So glad to see everyone getting in their runs despite life sometimes getting in the way. I've been sick with the crud, got poked and prodded today at the Dr. office for "other" issues, had spyware infect my computer, the house phones quit working for a few days, my daughter had her Sr. Prom this past Saturday, but doing well, and really missing the running. Love reading everyone's posts.....you guys n' gals are a great bunch and I will find my "path" again real soon! Have a super week....... Jewels
            But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

jfa

I wish the real world would just stop hassling Jewels Tongue Carol- did you have any effects from that storm that flattened the Cowboys practice bubble? That was sad about the people who got injured. Is that close to you? Cindy- is my state the only one that doesn't serve wine at races? What the he!! are my taxes going to anyway? Cry Jim- I didn't think that there was a need to give anyone the one finger salute in Nebraska? Your running has been going well !

flatland mountaineer

3 with Tempo this morn, went very well. First morning run in shorts, forgot bout the chaffing issue with the Nike shorts. Blush Jewels hope this rough patch is short lived! No wine runs here but could run yall down to the ethanol plant for some "corn licker" Wink after the race 'cept they hafta go and ruin it by putting in a denaturing agent. Sad Actually there are a couple wineries within and hour's drive but their product is kinda sucky by Calf. standards IMHO. Rain shower last nite, not much accumulation just makes for another late start. Least makes it easy to get my run in.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

Happy Hump Day! Another beautiful day on tap here (Heh! I said "on tap" Evil grin) Jim ~ if ya ain't got any good wineries/microbreweries about.....maybe you oughta consider a new hobby? Big grin I did find a wine country bicycle tour out in the Palisades area - 25 miles & several "stops!" Wink Jewels ~ just as soon as that crud abates enough, I'd say get yourself out for some quality "me time!" Wink Perfect doggie running mornings here lately! ~'Cepting too dang many bunnies again! Roll eyes Oh! & the really really scarey lawn sprinklers are back!! Shocked got my core strengthening w/o included in my run Big grin We have an annual Health Fair in the Spring. We went a month ago...They do free & low cost health screenings @ various locations around the state, including a wide spectrum blood chem panel (36 different things), blood pressure, lung function, vision, etc . I've participated in this for a few years & my numbers have always come back ridiculously good. well, except for the BMI thingy Roll eyes yeah, I always fail the weight thing! never "optimum" & there's always a P.T. to make "recommendations" (like to their workout facility!)...guess I should consider some type of regular excercise - like 30 mins a day, 3-4 days per week...... (okay yeeeeess, I DO need to get more committed to my strength training)..... Tongue....told her I just needed to put the fork down & moved on! Great news on the lung function though! 2.5 yrs after quitting smoking, my range is the top end of avg for my age/sex!! Yes Anyway, got the blood chem back the other day & they are flagging my TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) Damn! soooo, I did some online research & made an appt to discuss w/Dr......which was yesterday..would have to say that I do have about 80% of the symptoms, but (in my opinion) real mild...apparently, (Doc pointed this out to me) past tests have shown that this has been out of whack for awhile, maybe several yrs...is just getting steadily worse...He wasn't too concerned previously if I wasn't having any symptoms, but the levels are also now increasing......Now, I have to confess, I have this...I dunno: vision/perception/prejudice about "thyroid problems" - not logically! Logically, I KNOW that it's a very real & an all too common health condition, (which I don't want ANY health conditions!)...But I'm also aware of the fact that too many obese people use it as an excuse to not manage their weight...(predispositions: most commonly found in obese women over 50! No ) I ... just keep seeing obese people w/a twinkie hanging out of their mouth proclaiming their gross weight is because of a thyroid problem!! Angry....So, maybe a bit of denial....& hoping that running would fix everything! (excercise really does help regulate lots of things) "my thermostat is just a little wonky. It's not a health issue...if my weight is unstable, its just because I have no self control! lethargy = lazy, i just need to push myself through it.."...whatever..... I am now on a low dose Synthroid...& hoping.... that will correct some annoying things about my "system"...the timing of the medication is going to have me rethinking my running schedule to some degree....see, I'm supposed to take one pill 1st thing in the morning (try to do it about the same time), on an empty stomach & then wait 1 hr before I eat anything.... Undecided short runs I usually do on a cup of coffee (have to wait on that too now). longer runs I'd been having a light breakfast, waiting about an hour & then heading out....guess I just have to slide everything over 1 hour Confused except for the hot Summer days around the corner... I don't wanna get old Cry No
                  Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                    Cindy, I hear ya on everything you just said. Waiting on my blood results to come back. She's thinking my thyroid glands are way out of balance plus "other" things going on. I don't wanna get old either! Undecided I don't feel old though and think I look pretty darn good considering I'll be the big 50 next year! Hey........my blood pressure yesterday at the doc was 112/70! So something is normal about me anyway! Thanks everyone, Jewels
                    But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                      Howdy folks! No Katy run today Sad. Too much work going on. Gonna have to get out tomorrow to maintain sanity! Jewels, hope you are feeling better. Did the doc give you some crud-b-gone? Joe, that storm didn't get us too bad. It's amazing how localized the bad parts of each storm can be. "Mild" Tornado took some roofs off houses a couple of miles from ours a few mos ago, but didn't touch ours, thankfully! I'm so sorry for the folks who sustained serious injuries at the CB facility, but that thing never looked like the place to be in a storm. Hindsight is 20/20 of course! Jim, corn lick'r huh? Sounds like maybe a few stills in the silos? My friend who ran the 1/2 w/ me is now making wine in her bathtub. Not in the bathtub....a container in the bathtub...oh, you know what I mean. I sampled a little from her first batch, and it was actually pretty good. Cindy, I totally get the resistance to meds/altering routine/admitting need for such. But taking meds is not a sign of defeat or weakness if it helps you. It is a victory! Took me years to realize that about insulin when I was diagnosed w/ diabetes at the ripe old age of 27. Cya friends...keep on keepin on!
                      Progress Trumps Pefection
                        Hi Folks - After a 3:00 a.m. wake up call, a 6:00 a.m. flight (2.5 hours), lunch at 11:15, a walk around Long Beach, then a 1.5 hr nap, we're in our room chatting about conference, sipping on some wine. I'm still groggy, but dinner is about an hour away, then it'll be time to chill and get some real sleep. Suppose to do 5 miles tomorrow, but looking around here, I think I'll end up sticking to the dreadmill. With my ankle still sore, I don't think the sidewalks would be very friendly to it. And it's a fantastic workout room. Lots of equipment, including strength training stuff. Cindy and Jewels - Good luck with the thyroid issue. My friend, Karen, has to take medication, and it's really helped her. Cindy re the time you take the medication, have you ever tried running without partaking of coffee or anything in the a.m.? Just curious. The only time I eat/drink anything is before my long runs on the weekend, then I'll chow down on a bagel and some water. Jewels - Harken back to the old commercial, "Calgon! Take me away!" Jim - Chafing. heh heh heh. Body Glide is my friend. Big grin Well - I think I'm being rude not talking with my buds here . . . but honestly neither they nor I could care less. Ha!

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hey Joe....if you're gonna go run with Leslie, you'd have to maybe make a few other "run-stops" to get there....bet Ev, R2, Carol, me, & Arla....just to name, a few, could come up with some interesting choices Wink
                          Where you going with that gun in your hand? Yep, we could find a race somewhere in OK.
                          We entered Bolder Boulder.
                          Glad you guys got entered.....is it Bolder Boulder or Boulder Bolder? Confused
                          Ev, OK why did you have to put "Hey Jude" in my mind??....
                          Couldn't come up with a song about Carol. Smile And I hope you're alright after the spill you took.
                          This week looks to be a good week to start acclimating to the warmer stuff. Signed up to run a HM in Lodi this Sunday just 'cause it's close and because they serve wine at the finish. Evil grin Arla
                          Yes, it has turned summer here again, too. 90F today. You had asked about my next race.....I think it's a 5K on the 4th of July. Gonna try out my speed jets.
                          Ok that does it! Tomorrow, I'm moving to California!
                          Goin' to California with an achin' in my heart.
                          I will find my "path" again real soon! Jewels
                          No doubt you will....it's there waiting for you.....but there is really no hurry. Take your time.
                          I wish the real world would just stop hassling Jewels Tongue
                          Me too.
                          forgot bout the chaffing issue with the Nike shorts. Blush
                          Vaseline to keep from getting chaffed. Once you have chaffing......one word.....Corona. And no, not the beer. Although that might not be a bad idea. A nice 6er for me this evening. The heat has been turned up...87F at run time. I'm trying something new with the quote thingy.......sorry, it won't happen again. Big grin
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

I think that you did a fine job ,Ev. fine post indeed. Jewels-hope you're feeling better real soon .Cindy, I agree with Carol, whatever makes you healthier in the long haul. We all have to remember that while getting old certainly sucks ,it sure beats the alternative! Carol- I'm glad that that storm didn't get you.vLooks like my Giants will be playing the first game in the CB's new stadium in the fall. That should be fun. Leslie-I was in Long Beach and seem to remember a lot of industrial type area's by the water. I think I ended up driving to another beach town. Hope your ankle heels up quickly. Ran 8.5m on my hilly route today. My "hills" are probably mere pimples compared to most, but it's what I have to work with .I'm looking at doing a local 5k on Saturday in the next town of Bayhead. I'm guaranteed a PR as I have never run a 5k race before!

flatland mountaineer

3 miles with 2 sets of REA pole speedwork. Weather opening up, planting conditions starting to get good. Hard ground still on the wet side yesterday, finished our sand, fixed some things and dialed in a hard ground set and got 75 in the ground. 45 mph gust from the nw (Ev did u find my hat?) helped the ground and residue dry. Might make that race after all. http://www.bolderboulder.com/site3.aspx laters MTA dad turned 89 today.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

Tell Dad Happy Birthday, Jim! Smile Glad circumstances are leaning towards you guys being able to make the race, 'specially since you're already registered Wink Doug is leaning towards running "comfy" rather than in costume Tongue Winds gusting to 45mph here too this am....hoping that settles down a bit before the Snug gathering this eve... Joe: focus on running your "pimples" into a head wind! we call those "Kansas Hills!" Big grin oh wait, do you have head winds there? Ev: it's the Bolder Boulder....a friendly little 10K road race for a small group of 60,000 citizens + a "professional" race that last year included Ryan Hall, Constantina Dita, Deena Kastor, Elva Dryer....... a HUGE Expo (w/beer) ....per Wikipedia: the largest race in the US in which all participants are timed[2] and the fifth largest road race in the world.[3] It has one of the largest non-marathon prize purses in road racing. [4]