Masters Running

Weight management thread (Read 475 times)

SteveP

193 this week

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #3309

After my knee injury, it felt like a perfect time to drop 7 to 8 pounds to get back to my ideal running weight.....down 5 pounds so far 

Funny Picture..... stickman TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

Timbo –

I’m exceedingly happy to have dropped my vacation bloat (or maybe I didn’t acquire much – I didn’t weigh so I don’t know).  Down to 115 lbs today.  Now if I can lose 3 more lbs and keep it off before my next marathon, that will put me a decent running weight.  5 or 8 more would be even better, but let’s be realistic.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Prince of Fatness

Still boycotting the scale.

Still not running.

Hopefully things will change in a few weeks.

Not at it at all. 

mrpat

Tim, that is impressive losing while on injured reserved, it usually work the other way around.

Down another 2, now at 162.

evanflein

Way to go everyone, especially TimBo dropping a few while injured. I'm still eating too much in the evening. Oh well. Still at 141.
                Like Timbo, I thought being on the DL would pack on the pounds. I guess elipticalling and biking are working too. Was happy to see 118 on the scale this morning - haven't been under 120 since 5th grade
                stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I have apparently just used the "one stomach flu" weight loss method.  two days of decreased appetite and increased throughput and I have seen 179 for the first time in several years.  back up to 181 on the last attempt, but i hope that pesky 5er I've been trying to get rid of will stay off.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

My scale is still broken. Still reads the same number it did for two weeks now, after losing that initial 5 pounds. ^&*($# scale!

Of course I'm now down a full clothing size, so who am I complain??

Marathon Maniac #3309

I personally think it's easier to lose weight while NOT exercising. I really don't have to eat very much for fuel, and I switched to a lot more protein and fewer carbs with LOTS of fruit and veggies. When I lost alll my weight (over 100 pounds) I never exercised or workout out one bit, but only changed my diet to healthy foods. Now when I ramp my miles back up to 40 - 50 - 60 miles per week, is when it's a slippery slope to eat enough for fuel, but not enough to gain weight.

MrPHinNJ..................what's ailing you that Ya can't run???

Sounds like almost everyone is doing good...

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

I need some motivation and maybe this thread is it.

I put on 20 pounds when I couldn't run for 9 months.  My stable running weight used to be 137/138 (on a 5'9" frame, that is pretty good - and I ate whatever I wanted).  I am now 155 (ugh!).  However this morning I was 154.5 - probably not significant.  I am hoping that now that my thyroid hormone levels are back to normal and I can ramp up my mileage that I will lose the weight (or at least some of it).  It took 6 months the first time, with no change in diet, but I may need to control my diet a bit better this time.

Tim - funny!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

My stable running weight used to be 137/138 (on a 5'9" frame, that is pretty good - and I ate whatever I wanted). 

Okay, Erika has been replaced by Enke as being on my poo list.  Well, if she gets back down to 137/138 she will be.  I'm 5'8", 147.  And I'm retaining so much water right now (in hot Modesto for the weekend, my monthly visitor), I could probable start my own water amusement park.

Went for my annual check up Wednesday, described to my NP what's been going on.  Her comment: "Welcome to perimenopause!  It would last 10 years!"  Gee . . . thanks.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...fatozzig//..........I've never understood

if we are expected to THANK people who tell us about ''The First 10-Years''.....

maybe you can bargain them down to 7 1/2 years....

========

..but I digress......

anybody who can lose weight while hurt has my respect,

like I told Pickles

''it's called Comfort Food for a Reason''...

am trying to hydrate with cereal on my poolrunning nights,

and

set out my suppers in advance on my running days

as Token Attempts go at least I can stick to it.

next Weigh In 9-1

........it was going pretty good til I found that damn jar of Peanut Butter.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Leslie, I'm at the tail end of that ten years (or so it feels), and things DO get better, trust me. But then again, I might just not know anything I'm talking about....

My stats: 5'2", currently 135, want to drop 10 more, but I'm wearing a size 4 now. Literally I'm too short for my weight. Got rid of a lot of the size 2 stuff in my closet when I hit 140 (oh the horror!). After the first 5 dropped (within a week, almost), my running spontaneously increased to an avg 35 mpw, where before I'd be lucky to have the stamina to reach 20.

OK, enough with the numbers, I've shamed myself sufficiently now.

Prince of Fatness

MrPHinNJ..................what's ailing you that Ya can't run???

I tore a hamstring tendon and haven't run since early June.  It's the longest down time that I can remember.  I've been going to PT, doing lots of yoga and walking.  Good news is that I think I can start back running in a couple of weeks.

But unlike you I have some pretty bad eating habits and have put on a few pounds during the down time.

Not at it at all.