Masters Running

Tuesday 11/27/18 (Read 39 times)

SteveP

RunnerKSA get's the treadmill rolling with an AM - PM 5.1 mile mash up.

Coastwalker is a cut above the rest. He gets the band together and builds a wall that's surely a corker, hands over the RD mantle and drys out for a much needed rest day.

Jlynne sweetens the line up with her 5.05 .

Holly fires up the treadmill for 4.2, splashes the page with adorable and hunkers down for the weather. I bought knee pads Saturday. Two and a half days  with out was plenty. I'll sneak them into A GoodWill box after the cuts are done.

Joe618 tip toes up to a subject of his recent blog post.

Mrrun powers through 3 miles.

Evanflein had me do a double take. She's enjoying a taper??

Tom White soaks in a 40 minute pool run. I admire his determination.

Henrun's Sunday 2.5 mile entry found it's way out of the fog. He takes Monday easy with 8.5 cycle miles.

Wildchild meets up with trail buddies for a 6 miler while dancing with death ice.

TwoCat gets some uplifting news from PT and matches wits with a rodent. I rad an article about how a fella successfully kept a squirrel out of his bird feeder. Too bad he burned his house down in the process. What ever works though.

Tramps has his prognosis spelled out, weighs his options and sparks a discussion. I like having you here.

Rochrunner pops in.

Tetsujin209 is a cornucopia of experiences. The man has a way with words as he paints a picture of his marathon.

Bioguy is in a class by himself. He gets in two preschool miles.

Spacityrunner fights the urge and forces a rest day with refreshing results.

BTY lets us know that he's occasionally all wet. He swims like a butterfly. I'm not going to attempt a play on words with "breaststroke".

Talk about a whole body workout.

Deez4boyz steps up with 3.5 running, 1.2 walking and a lot of baby catching.

Falconfixer got in a an easy 6+. I'm sure his easy = my work my butt off.

MikeE reunites with his injuries during a 4 miles test the water run.

Surly Bill makes a return with 4.5 EZ! How is the set progressing?

Runr_Nut lives up to his handle with a zippy three with a pause for boot camp.

Mariposai hits the gym and pumps iron with her favorite pacer.

All I did was work and fought a mental fog. Lifting 8 tons of 48' flexible beams that have iced over with a forklift that has a 4' spread while on an uneven surface keeps a person on their toes. Don't get me started on the paperwork!.

BIL had a 10 month jail sentence and I had hoped that SIL would clean house in the interim. However, Mom sold her house to avoid having  her pride and joy face more charges and moved into their house. Her mental decline (not her fault) hasn't helped matters. I've wondered how often she's found out her son is a low life for the the first time? Sometimes she forgets.

I told SIL only once that, by enabling, she's just as responsible to what happens to the kids as he is. The oldest has dropped out of school, drinks, drugs and smashes cars. I care about the family's well being. We over pay for the other kids' fundraisers and keep a detached distance. Our 11 year old niece works her tail off and gives her lazy oldest brother part of the spoils. Whaddya gonna do? Kids repeat what they see..not what we preach.

A number of people have similar dynamics in their relationships.

SteveP

Thanks, Steve.  I look forward to the morning summary!

Tramps-  I know it is tough and I feel for you.  Running and physical activity is so important to our physical and mental well-being that it is horrible to have it threatened.

3.5 on the treadmill this morning- still low HR.  It's really cold outside and I just can't face it right now.  Finally getting over this stupid sinus infection, though.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks again, Steve. I feel really bad for BIL's kids, who seem to have the deck stacked against them before they even get started.

I remember when it was illegal to have your head under water while swimming breaststroke in competitive meets. Not anymore...

Tet got it yesterday.

Tramps, I know it's not for everyone, but I'll just offer that, because there is always one foot on the ground, racewalking has far less impact than running. I think it is something like 7 times body weight per stride in running vs. 1.5 times body weight in racewalking.

I'm glad the sinus infection is fading, KSA.

Heavy, steady rain plus 20+ mph winds overnight and into the morning kept me inside again today. I can't say that I minded getting a little extra sleep.

Have a greta Tuesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Whaddya gonna do? Kids repeat what they see..not what we preach.

Truer words were never spoken Steve.

Thanks for the recap. Pictures of the finished floor???

(((Tramps))) You're handling this very well. Not sure I would be in the same mental state as you.

Tet - another belated congratulations on your great marathon! You must be very proud (and very humble)

Look on the bright side Jay. You got extra zzz's - and at least it's rain and not snow.

I'm glad you're feeling better KSA.

Cold and windy here this morning as well, and I wasn't in the mood to layer up. Off to the Y for 45 minute on the elliptical, 10 minutes on the rowing machine and 25 minutes of weights and core.

Have a great day folks!

..[[[.tramps]]]..........PRP  seems to be unproven at the moment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platelet-rich_plasma

although it IS used for treating horses (??)

also

insurance may balk at paying for it

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Steve - you are right that those kids are starting out against the odds, but we can hope they will someday come out of it all right.

Rosie is coming around with the puppy, and played nicely with him last night, although I have to be careful she is not too rough with him.  DS didn't think it was fair to leave Rosie in her crate while we are at work (although DD gets home from school at 1:30pm), so this morning we put the Pac-n-Play inside the play yard in the kitchen, and put the puppy in the Pac-n-Play, which gives him two fences for added protection, if needed.   Frankly by next week I think we will be fine to just leave him in the play yard when we are at work, as Rosie is liking him more each day.  Dexter, for his part, seems almost relieved to have someone else for Rosie to play with so he can lounge undisturbed on the sofa.    

No run today, swimming instead.  It is a bit hard to get myself out the door on these cold mornings, especially knowing I will be getting wet, but I was glad I did.  Short on time, so  44 times across the pool (1100 yards) for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Joe618

Good morning all.   Enjoy all this.

Tramps, I have little advice but much encouragement as you figure this out.   Jay's mention of racewalking may have merit as a partial countermeasure, though.

My dad was one of those kids who conquered such dysfunctional practices in a family.   My sisters and I are the beneficiaries of him "breaking the chain."   We're the true lucky ones...it doesn't often happen.

I'm bracing for the reality of Boston training through the coming winter.   Got out the door this morning into very windy, 19F and light snow for 5.25 miles.   Today was a normal run...yet, while running, I was trying to visualize how I'll work the Hansons plan  that will have me doing intervals every Tuesday morning, though, from mid January to the first week of April in weather worse than today's.    I have an old Garmin which really programs up nicely for intervals (unlike the newer models, which do other things better), and there is a lightly used loop of about 1km in the next neighborhood over where I can do the 400m to 1200m intervals as required, using the Garmin to measure the distance rather than relying on a proper track.

What a wonderful problem to have...think of the issues so many are facing and I'm mulling the path for winter intervals.   I'm a lucky guy.

Enjoy your day, folks!

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

mrrun

Tramps - I second Jay's suggestion. I've been power walking (not up to Jay's RW speed) of 13-14 min miles (started with 16) and it's a full body workout by the time you incorporate the arms and hips.  Running is pretty much limited to crossing streets quickly.  It takes me a couple of days to recover from 4-5 mile run and as the primary driver, I want to avoid replacement/surgery if possible.  I love biking but not in this weather.

yoga at 6:30 followed by four miles power walking into boston with a hot chocolate stop with a friend and a T ride home. fortunately the rains had stopped by the time i left yoga.

SteveP

also

insurance may balk at paying for it

Curse the neigh sayers.

SteveP

Curse the neigh sayers.

Good one.  Good one.

Tet - Congrats on an awesome marathon!

"Jay" walking is hard.  It's hard to maintain focus.  I always try to work on my "jay" walking when I run, but constantly finding myself slipping back into bad habits.  If at some point I can no longer run, I will learn how to "jay" walk on the trails.

Tramps - When I saw the ortho in San Jose, he said PRP has shown some promise, but (1) it's not covered by insurance and (2) if he does a PRP injection on someone and it doesn't work, he doesn't do it again.

I spent at least 1.5 hrs yesterday looking for a file that I've been trying to find and have repeatedly asked our dept secretary to be on the look out for for almost a month  I moved a client's appointment to next week because the file still hadn't been found.  Yesterday, I practically tore the entire office building apart looking for it and our dept secretary said she had looked through her (incredibly messy) office twice.  After she left yesterday, I went into her cubby and found in about 10 seconds.  All I can say is she's very lucky she wasn't here when I found it because I probably would've said some things I wouldn't regret.  She also left the downstairs file storage room wide open, key in the door, lights on.  Other people in the building have access to that hallway.  That key is also the key that opens up our exterior office doors.

Today she called in sick.  Our boss is out of town for his daughter's wedding.  When he called in, he asked how my work load was.  I told him if I was still here when he got back, he was going to be a very lucky man.

Eye-Yi-Yi!!  That woman is going to drive me to insanity or manslaughter!

After work I did about 30-40 min of core/ST.  I was going to get up and go for a walk this morning but it was pouring.  Instead, I came in to work early.

Later, Dudes and Dudettes ~~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Curse the neigh sayers.

LOL, Steve!

After playing around on the bike trainer, mainly seeing how high I could peg the power reading and HR (probably not the smartest thing to strive for these days!), I did my first "structured" workout today where I had a goal and plan. I did 10.2 miles at a steadily increasing load after a warmup period, ramping up my HR slowly and not worrying about setting PRs.

I hope to run outside tomorrow morning if the weather holds.

Good runs to all if you can do 'em!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tramps

Steve--that sounds like a tough family situation.

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice. A couple clarifications:

• I'm nowhere near considering knee replacement. In fact, one key factor in cutting back or eliminating running is to improve the odds of never having to do that. The only surgery even remotely under consideration is scoping but, as I noted yesterday, my doc saw that as something to consider only down the road if things get worse. Right now I can function pretty normally with a constant but mild discomfort/ache/stiffness. That flares up to a tender achy throbbing when I aggravate it but even then it's manageable right now.  The goal is to keep it from getting worse.
                          • Running fast or long makes things much worse so I haven't done it for a while now. But it's gotten to the point where even a 5 mile run at a slow 10+ minute pace (my easy/slow pace used to be more like 8:45 or so) leaves the knee aching quite a bit. Slowing down even further doesn't seem to make a difference, so that's not the issue at this point. Shorter slow runs--probably on smoother surfaces--seem to be best option at the moment. There's always some discomfort; it's about managing the flare-ups.
                          • I'll need to experiment with alternatives forms of exercise, too. What I miss most about running is the simplicity and ease of doing it--anytime, anywhere, most weather--along with the structure that a marathon training plan provided. I'll have to figure out some other way to structure things to ensure I stay active.  Walking, hiking, cycling, etc. for aerobic workouts and maybe other work to maintain/improve flexibility and strength. I could use that, too.

Really, this is a pretty common part of aging. I had just hoped it would come a bit later.

Onward.

Be safe. Be kind.

...tramps//........three words......PoolRunning

======

..20s and still spitting snow....

....35-min ARC Trainer......hands free

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

((Tramps))

Tet - never sent you my CONGRATS - you are pretty amazing!!

Steve - so rough for your BIL's kids.

I have talked about Justin a lot in the past here and have to say right now he seems to be on the right path. He recently received his AA 8 month chip and has been staying on his meds - best I can tell anyway. He has been living with us and unfortunately we are fully supporting him right now -- he needs shoulder surgery in Jan (which I worry about the pain control) and his SSDI was totally cut off because they paid him too much last year when he was working for awhile -- so annoying because my DH did report his income. He does have a case manager helping him with that, but until things are resolved its on us. Right now staying focused on recovery and his girls are the top priority and as long as he maintains that I am happy.

Finally back to computraining today - one hour on the bike followed by 1.2 miles on the mill for my challenge

denise

Joe618

Curse the neigh sayers.

Brilliant.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.