Masters Running

Friday, May 14th Daily Run Report.....Weekend in sight! (Read 515 times)

TammyinGP

I don't think I've ever mowed our lawn and i'm okay with that. DH is a perfectionist when it comes to manicured lawns, so have at it honey! it's all yours! I do the upkeep on the landscaping areas though - keep the plants neat, tidy and trimmed. So it's a good trade in my opinion.

still blown away by Dopplebock's performance at the 24 hr Ultra. and happy that Jurek remained in 2nd the whole way (of course 1st would have been great, but 2nd is nothing to sneeze at).

6 mile run last night  and it was a warm one! probably close to 80 and felt a bit humid at times too. That puts me just over 500 for the year so far which is about 115 miles ahead of where I was at this point last year.

Tammy

jtv

Whoa. Wait. DW? DW???!!!! You have a wife that spreads mulch and mows the lawn? Really?

yeah I think shes a keeper !  I just have to supply the wine and keep her well fed.  Oh yeah, and did I ever tell you she placed in her AG at MCM several years ago - she kicked my @@$ that day (and will never let me forget it!)

We usually get 15-20 yards of mulch every year.  At least we don't have the pressure of last summer - our house was on our local garden tour.  We had around 500 people come through our yard in one day!

jlynne, it's great that your husband has been running and has signed up for a 5K.  Good luck to him.  tomwhite, it's good to hear from you.  hopeful, take advantage of the weekend to get healthy.  evan, congrats to your son on his graduation.

Nice long run for bike.  Good job on the speedwork for evan (with the group).

As roch, hopeful, and Dave, have said, we have a lovely day here in MI.  When I went out it was in the low 50s and there was a light wind.  I got in 5 miles in a little over 49 minutes for a 9:51 pace.

This afternoon, I will go to my daughter's in Lansing and then tomorrow we will head to Cleveland for her marathon on Sun.  The weather sounds great, high of 59 and low of 51.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

wildchild

Carolyn

Tom, good luck to Sandy at her marathon - hope it's much better than the last one!

Yard work will have to wait at my house - we got yet another 6" of snow last night. Sigh.  Oh, well, we don't really have a yard anyway - we have 35 acres of lodgepole/aspen forest. We don't mow anything or plant anything.  The meadow full of wildflowers is nicer than anything we could plant, anyway, and much lower maintenance!

(((Mary)))  get well soon!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Good Luck to your daughter tselbs...enjoy! We'll look for your report

4.2 miles at 7:30 am, 48º, drizzly and dreary, but as I was rounding the last corner to home I saw Mr. CNYrunner out for his morning walk and we finished up together. Nice interlude in a busy week/day. Legs tired and dragging from last night's 5k---21:04 and the kiddo knocked more seconds off of his time---even motioned me to run him in (I was watching from the course trying to look casual). 

Add me to the mulching, spreading, and mowing list. In fact that's the plan for tomorrow---lots of mulch to spread. Just hoping the final frost is really final. College graduation weekend here in Happy Valley so it's just as well that I have garden plans---town traffic will be decidedly un-fun.

Yeah, where IS Nono?

Dopplebock/Flounder is simply amazing! SkipAZ told me all about the race as he knows some of the participants and it's hard to imagine. Fantastic accomplishment.

Cranium Posted: Only Aamos could make the comment about trying to squeeze in a marathon this weekend.  I thought the same thing!  (I had trouble with the "quote" thing.)

Anyhoo - Add me to the list of ladies who will mow, weed, etc.  The - eh hem, cough cough - older I get, the more I don't mind.  Last weekend I even made a deal with The Hub after we went grocery shopping that I'd mow, etc., if he put away the groceries.  Needless to say, he jumped at the offer.  My biggest problem is I can't visualize what something's going to look like, so things are in a constant state of flux.  However, I'm hoping to flux it further to the side of low to no maintenance.  Maybe I just need a wildflower meadow like Wildchild.

Hope you feel better soon, Mary.  Now if you would kindly turn your head when you cough so that you don't spread your germs through the computer, that would be very nice. 

Yeah - where's Nono??

3 ez miles this a.m., followed by about 35 min of core/strength, focusing on upper body with only a few leg exercises thrown in.  The right hammy is a bit sore, and I have 12 miles of trails ahead of me tomorrow.  New territory, too!  It's a 40-min one-way trip for me, but I'm really tired of the Forest.

So today I tell my Thurs/Fri boss that July 2 will be my last day to work for him, after over 13 years.  Decided I need to set the deadline.  It'll be weird, but I'm ready for the transition to full-time at my other job.  It'll be nice to have everything in one place again.  [Is my notary book here or over there?  Where's my file for Conference?]

Hope you have a rockin' Friday, folks ~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hey gang!

Driveby posting for me - almost 3/4 through my 2 day (all day) meeting.   Laptop use has been forbidden - poop. 

7.6 miles on the elliptical this morning - 7.6 miles at 146 AHR.

Have a great weekend all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

dg, I was just working there as a volunteer at the Friends of the Library's periodic book sale.

Tom, a woman that I run with is going to be at Cleveland for her first ever marathon this weekend. Be sure to look for her.

I'm also a member of the group whose wife holds up her end of the yardwork. Since I've been retired and around the house during the day, I've done just about all the mowing, but she still takes a turn once in a while.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

I mow, we used to alternate.  Heck if just mowing gets you a beer or two, I'm in.  He used to do the front and I the backyard.  I think he was too embarrassed to have the neighbours see his wife mowing the front lawn while he was home.

Landscaping plan, none.  Let the native plants grow where they want to, pull out the stuff you don't like.  Ok, I did plant some azeleas and lavendar.  The grass is almost all moss with a few dandelions because we stopped putting poison on it.  We don't care.  Moss is what wants to grow there.  Grass doesn't.  Moss is hard to mow though, like a shag carpet, and then just looks yucky yellow underneath.

Hopeful -your landscaping project does sound nice!

Feeling tired and carpy today so decided not to run.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Like a lot of the other wimmin' here, I do all the yard work at my home. I cut the grass, spread mulch in the spring, tend to all of the flower beds.... now if I could just talk my DH into installing a pool so I could get a cabanna boy to fetch me tropical drinks and fan me when I get too warm

Mary, hope you feel better soon. Take the afternoon off, you sound like a sick day is in order.

Aww, Carolyn. Six inches of new snow? It's too late in the year for that nonsense. At least it melts quickly, right?

Good luck to your DD on her marathon this weekend, Tom.

Congratulations on making the "big break" Leslie. I wouldn't be surprised if your boss at your Thursday/Friday job doesn't come up with some sweet incentives to keep you there.

Karin - your DS sounds like he's going to follow in his mother's fleet footsteps. That's really cool!

I hope I'm not jinxing him by posting this, but I'm anxious to watch Slo BQ at the Cellcom on Sunday. Everything is aligning for him to do it - perfect temps, no wind and clear skies. Plus a nice, flat course. Good luck Slo! And good luck to all of our other weekend racers. Hey - that's me too!

Off to do my lawncutting duties...

Dave59

Lots of women landscapers here.  I wonder if there is a correlation between that and it being a running forum?

I didn't even know there were women who used a lawnmower until I lived in Houston for a couple years and I saw the woman across the street doing it.  I've been cutting the grass where I live since about age 12.

I hire a landscaper to do a spring clean-up, hedge trimming, and mulching.  Then I keep it up over the summer.  Even though they put down some Preen under the mulch there are still a lot of weeds and stray grass to keep pulling.

I don't mind that DW doesn't do the yard work.  I like it for the most part and I absolutely hate to paint, so I leave that up to her.

evanflein

We're nowhere near as ambitious as Mary in the landscaping department. We have a lawn, but it's pathetic. DH likes to see how long he can go without watering it. Most Junes here are pretty dry and the lawn suffers from his stubbornness some years. We've had some rain already this May, so it's already looking better than last year. We have a lot of weeds though, and the only "perennial" I grow is some lilacs I dug up from a field years ago and some rhubarb. My focus is on the garden, and I need to get going on planning that. It's tilled, and I've bought seeds, but need to plan it and buy seedlings. Big planting weekend is Memorial Day weekend, seeds the weekend before.

I refuse to mow the lawn as long as I have teenage boys living in the house.

Hope you feel better, Mary! You too, Enkie. Hey, it's the weekend!! No time to be feeling carpy.

Tom, I hope your daughter has a really good race this weekend. Gotta make up for the mess that her last one turned into. Glad to hear the weather outlook is good for her run.

Good luck to Slo and Jlynne this weekend! And yes, not wanting to jinx anything here either, but I see a BQ possibility, too!

I've been wanting to run more local races this year. There's a marathon down in Cordova on July 10 that would've fit perfectly into my schedule. Figured DH and I could drive down to Valdez, ferry over to Cordova, do the race on Saturday and head back. He could get some fishing in, I'd run a beautiful course and given the times of the winners' in last year's race, I stood a very good chance at winning it! But... the ferry schedule is limited, we'd have to stay at least one maybe two nights down there (in peak fishing season... $$$) and the cost for the ferry for car and two people was almost $400. So much for a nice "local" inexpensive marathon. This thing would cost me almost $1,000 before we got home! Rats. The search continues. 

The other things I'm looking at is the Mayor's Marathon on June 19. This would be interesting... I'd have to fly down, stay with friends, run the marathon in the morning and get back here to run our Midnight Sun Run 10k at 10 pm. It would work, but I'm kind of hoping to PR that 10k this year so not the best laid plan. The other option is the Humpy's Marathon in August. I'd run this as a training run for the Equinox ultra. That race was my first Boston qualifier, so I have a soft spot for it, but I hate the weather in Anchorage in August. *sigh* This marathon maniac business is difficult in Alaska.

Like my friends in Michigan, I've got a beautiful day happening outside today. Too bad it's a non-running day for me. At least it'll be nice for the Track & Field Regionals being held this weekend, starting today. DS1 is in the 400m prelims today, but he hasn't run much since hurting his ankle in last Saturday's soccer game.

My... I'm chatty this morning. But yeah... where is Nono??

Marathon Maniac #957

The city where DH works has a free mulch pile for residents and city workers for a short time each spring (until it’s gone), so DH filled our trailer twice and we spread it last weekend, but I’ll admit he did most of the work of it while I was at DD’s soccer game.  But I did spend 3 hours planting hostas and ferns.

Dg – no, I don’t mow the lawn.  DH does a nice job of that, and I have enough on my hands trying to keep up with the planting and weeding.  Speaking of which, I need to buy some annuals and tomato plants and get them in the ground this weekend.  I don’t like to mulch before planting, but we had a limited window to get the mulch, so I’ll just push it aside to plant.

{{{Mary}}}

EGH3 – sounds like you have some helpers for your yard work project! 

Dave59 – just run it kind of fast....

TomS – good luck to your DD at Clevelend!

Wildchild – I would SO MUCH hate to be still dealing with snow.....

CNYRunner – nice speedy 5K!  So cool that your DS is getting into running...

Erika – bummer about Cordova – that really looked like an awesome race.

4.55 recovery-paced miles (ave 10:41) in a muggy 71° at 5:30 a.m.  - probably the warmest morning this year so far.  My legs were a little stiff, but surprisingly not really sluggish-feeling.  20-minutes upper body and core workout afterward.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mulch?  Mulch??  My plants would die from the shock of it all.  I'm one of those people who uproots and moves plants at the most inappropriate times.  Like whenever I want to, despite the fact it may kill it.

And re weeds - as a friend of mine once said when I pointed out that in a large spot in his yard he had growing an abundance of this one type of "weed" that I was continually fighting, says he:  "It's only a weed if you don't want it to grow."  I looked at him like I'd been hit over the head, and from that day forward I've taken that advice to heart.

A couple of years ago a lady was having plant yard sale.  I looked at a plant in one little pot she was selling for $1 and said, "I pull that from my yard all the time."  Her: "It's native to this area." Me: "Really?"  The next time I went to explore the garden dept where The Hub works, dang if they didn't have the same damm thing in a 3" pot for $ 2.99!!  I couldn't help by think of all the money I'd pulled out of the ground and thrown away!  I now let it run freely throughout my yard.

And our 2 lawns never gets fed.  The Hub weed popped a bunch of dandelions from our front yard last weekend.  It looks like small bombs exploded all over the yard, leaving small craters.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

A horticulturist friend once told me the definition of a weed is "a plant out of place." Well, I think that's oversimplifying things, but I have a lot of "plants out of place" in my yard. Just trying to convince myself that they're really ok there, and maybe it is "their place" after all.