Masters Running

Friday, 2.10.17 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday's excellent workouts:

C-R (2 recovery TM miles)

Jlynne ( 1 hr. on the elliptical & the last 20 min in a strength + core class)

Marj (3 miles on the "not a river walk" river walk)

Tramps (8 miles on a new trail in howling winds with no trees falling)

Rochrunner (weights at the gym in the afternoon)

Leslie (howling winds - returned to bed)

Holly (5 TM miles)

Stumpy (3.1 mile lake loop in the snow)

Tet (walk-a-mute under a noisy Holly poncho in heavy rains)

Evanflein (40 min. lunchtime pool running)

Twocat (9 TM miles instead of a lobotomy)

Mike (7 easy nighttime miles)

Spacityrunner (2.8 miles around the 'hood)

Mariposai (7 miles during sunny break at work)

Have a good trip to Ohio, C-R

Sorry about all the rain in the PNW - be careful out there!

Nice, Dave: $100 for the screening, a bonus for your good work, and pizza for lunch - a trifecta, indeed!

I'm glad the malpractice suit was avoided, Leslie, and hope that situation doesn't come around again.

I hope Enke's sore back is better today.

Good luck today, Mike. Good job of doing your research and thinking ahead.

The snow was winding down at about 7 last night, so I went out to do some clearing while there was still a bit 'o light. What a treat to be behind a nicely-gliding snowblower. What a difference a nut makes!

I don't think we got as much snow was predicted, but it was tough to tell with all the drifting from the steady high winds. My sens is that we got about 7-9", with the bulk of the snow staying south of us in Stumpyland.

4.2 miles this morning in my Yaks on roads covered with packed snow and in 8F temps (-5 WC), and under a close-to-setting near-fool moon. Even with the Yaks, the snow was slick in places, so I think my legs were a bit tense the whole way, and thus more fatigued at the end than normal for 4+ miles. Still, it was nice to be out.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Jay. This place was really going nuts yesterday (sorry, I didn't get to get in on it then)! Anyone have any good ovary jokes for today? I thought not... 

Really nice run from home this morning. Again, the Clinton River Trail had thawed enough and was clear and dry. I had anticipated more of a breeze so was slightly overdressed, but I ran the usual 4-mile route at a relaxing pace. Tomorrow it will be a lap around the lake with the club.

Again we got the hots to do some home remodeling, such as the downstairs bathroom ("powder room?") that has not been touched other than paint and wallpaper since we moved in 32 years ago. We're also looking at replacing the kitchen countertops with something more modern (quartz). Not surprisingly, the thing holding us back the most isn't the cost but rather the inconvenience since we'd be without the kitchen for up to two weeks. So again we might end up backing off on that part of the project.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mariposai

No running tet. Just wanted to stop by to wish MikeE good luck on his interview.  Praying for you.

Butterfly hugs to those who needed or want.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

you just don't hear any good ovary jokes anymore - although those nut jokes are a dime a dozen 

torrential rains all night long! Did you get hammered overnight also, Leslie? creeks and rivers are so high, some roadways have creeks/rivers spilling over onto them. 

planning on a short run after work, depending on my energy level (and maybe the rain level too). and then tomorrow I'm meeting up with a friend and we'll do a long run of 9 miles.

Hope Mike gets a chance to check in and let us know how things went.

Tammy

SteveP

Coastealker, it's amazing how a little of the white stuff can drain the legs. Good job on the 4.2.

I'm also wishing MikeE well. I hope he gets someplace where he feels respected and appreciated.

I had 9.7 miles along the Gulf of Mexico. Unlike some of the others experiencing high creeks and water across the roads, I thought the tide was out incredibly far. There was bare ground where I've watched dolphins before. I saw a sailboat on it's side on bare ground. I didn't see a single snow shovel.

SteveP

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Hola amigos. I have returned from sunny Cuba. Unfortunately the sun stayed there as it is bitter cold and grey here. Traveling there or to Mexico makes you realize why so many would like to immigrate to Canada or the US.

Kept my streak alive with some cute one milers running on the sand. Ran 5k in the bitter cold last night and 5 miles this morning. Back to reality.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Thanks, Jay.  I imagine running in snow and ice is exhausting.  Be good to those legs the rest of the day.

Tammy - We got hammered yesterday.  Quite a bit of street/creek flooding around the area.  I think things are supposed to taper off late afternoon/ early evening and then be nice all weekend.

MikeE - Praying for you!  Going prepared with a job proposal shows initiative.  I can't help but think they would be impressed.

5 miles this a.m. with 6 x 1-min hill repeats.  First time in a long time I've done those, but it went better than I expected.  Thankfully, the rain held off 'til about the last 20 min of my run, but it was coming down pretty good by the time I got home.  If I'd gone out for my run at 2:30 a.m. (thank you, cats), I could've run under a completely clear sky and a bright, full moon. 

Have a great weekend, peeps ~~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

C-R

Hey all.

Nice RW in Yax Jay

With you Roch. Only we're doing closets. Good luck.

Weather is goofy for everyone I guess. Just cold here but warmer this weekend.

3.1 on the TM at lunch. Too much work. I may run outside after work on those Newtons. Who knows.

Good luck MikeE

Have a great one.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Dave59

At the risk of being banished from the forum..."PMS should just be called ovary-acting."

That aside, I would like to report that I went to the gym today for some ARC & weights. It was tough to actually go there and workout after 5 days off (since the race).  Those 5 days felt like a lot longer.  But it felt good when I was done.

lamerunner

Good afternoon. Good one, Dave! indeed there aren't many ovary jokes....

Howling winds here too; just a few inches of new snow in VT; southern and eastern NH got much more. I ventured out on a somewhat groomed rail trail in 2 degrees and howling wind.  At one point, I thought there was a snow machine behind me, but it was just the wind! I also did "reggae yoga" at lunch.

Good job on the pool running, Erika. It is indeed tedious; I used to swim first to get my body warmed up-- that does complicate things though because you have to deal with wet and chlorinated hair. Good job to the TM runners too; since I stopped training for marathons, I seem to have lost my tolerance for tedium of that type. Swimming laps is fine though, kind of meditative.

Happy weekend! More snow coming Sunday around here...

mrrun

Nice going in those yaks, Jay.  MikeE - update please.

stay warm and dry all (except steve who's just north of us).  We ran this morning a different part of Miami, along Biscayne Bay - quite lovely and lots of runners - there were very few in fort lauderdale.  after we went to check out the gym which had all these people on treadmills - it was sunny and maybe 65 with no humidity - are they crazy???? henry did some biking which is important for his knee.   then we got access to a fancy shallow, lap pool on the 50th floor overlooking the harbor - the indoor one is closed for maintenance (what a shame).  didn't swim but read and enjoyed the view.  tonight the theater and tomorrow the arts district.  time if flying by far too quickly

marj

Marathon Maniac #957

you just don't hear any good ovary jokes anymore

Wait - aren't those the things that fall out if a woman runs a marathon?

Dave -

Go Mike!!

6 miles for me this morning on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good one, Dave!

Here's a recent picture of the American River, near Auburn, CA (which is near Sacramento).  The bridge looks like No Hands Bridge, which is part of the Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run course.  Regardless of which bridge it is, that's alotta pressure on an old bridge.

Image may contain: bridge, sky, plant, outdoor, water and nature

I spent most of my morning searching for, including dumpster-diving, a package that didn't arrive until late this morning (inhalers from the my SIL).  Eye-yi, yi!  The ladies working the front desk - I wanted to shoot the one who swore up and down all morning a package had come in yesterday.  She had to have been thinking of the one that arrived 2 or 3 days ago or what a client had dropped off  in a FedEx envelope and I picked that up from my mail slot when I walked in this morning.  . . . . at least the locks on the dumpsters got some lubrication, so there's a positive . . . 

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

then we got access to a fancy shallow, lap pool on the 50th floor overlooking the harbor - the indoor one is closed for maintenance (what a shame).  didn't swim but read and enjoyed the view.  tonight the theater and tomorrow the arts district.  time if flying by far too quickly

marj

I want Marj and Henry to adopt me! They have the best adventures

Holy carp Leslie! That is some serious flowage down that river. I sure hope that bridge can sustain the pounding of all that water.

Hope things went well today Mike! Give us the scoop if you get a chance.

I got nothing today. Got up at 1:00 AM to use the rest room and when my left heel hit the ground it felt like it landed on a nail sticking up from the floor. Thought best to give it a rest day.

I sure hope my mind catches up with my body soon. So many of you haven't hit your 60's yet, and let me tell 'ya, it's a rude awakening. I rue my younger days when I could exercise, run and do so many things and I wasted them being an overweight couch potato. Now, my brain can't figure out why my body can't keep up. I've said this before, and I think Marj, Henry, Roch and Tselbs will back me up:  getting old is not for sissies! Not to mention the fact that a lot of my e-mails are now advertisements for burial insurance, dental implants and home health appliances! Sorry to complain folks. I really am grateful for my good health. I just wish....

I sure hope my mind catches up with my body soon. So many of you haven't hit your 60's yet, and let me tell 'ya, it's a rude awakening. I rue my younger days when I could exercise, run and do so many things and I wasted them being an overweight couch potato. Now, my brain can't figure out why my body can't keep up. I've said this before, and I think Marj, Henry, Roch and Tselbs will back me up:  getting old is not for sissies! Not to mention the fact that a lot of my e-mails are now advertisements for burial insurance, dental implants and home health appliances! Sorry to complain folks. I really am grateful for my good health. I just wish....

Wait a sec -- are you calling all of us out for being a bunch of old geezers?  Just hang in there, Jlynne -- there are still more good days than bad. I know that I have to be careful around the house, too. My DW is 10 years younger and she'll sometimes complain about an ache or two and I make the mistake of responding "Oh yeah? Wait another 10 years..." That never goes over well!

Besides, I know the runner that you are now, and in your races you are still going to be passing slower runners who are 10 or more years younger. Maybe not those in their 40s, but still quite an accomplishment.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"