Masters Running

Eastwood 1-miler - a short family RR (Read 410 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

I know, I know, who does race reports for a 1-mile race?  But this was a first time event for me and both of my kids, and they posted a couple good pictures. 

DD (age 7) has been pestering me about running a race for months, and I thought a 1-miler might be a great event for this.  This was a local ORRRC event, only $3 for me and free for the kids – what’s not to like?  I was surprised to find that this was a chip-timed race.

The race was at 7pm, temp. was 91°, and slightly windy – kind of strange in that heat, a direct headwind of course, but the breeze felt good.  I told the kids they didn’t have to run all-out, or even run at all if they didn’t want to.  I just wanted them to have fun, and it was darn hot, after all.  We ended up parking at the finish line, and so had to jog (I jogged, they walked) the 1 mile to the start line.

Here’s a shot of us waiting at the start.  That’s me in the pink (notice my hair is being blown back by the headwind? ), DS is on my left in the white shirt and red shorts (look at how big he's gotten), and DD in front of me in her silver soccer kit. 

When the race started and we all took off, both of my children sprinted ahead of me.  I was running my fastest, but couldn’t keep up with either of them.  But eventually they slowed down.  And I didn’t. 

Here’s DD flying into the finish.  Notice, both feet off the ground. 

Results:

Me:

6:42  (!)

1/4 F 45-49

86/149 OA

DS:

9:04  (better than he expected, in that heat and not being a runner)

10/15 M 10-14 (1st in his AG got a 4:48)

114/149 OA

DD:

10:27 (and that was with lots of walk breaks)

2/8 F 0-9

126/149 OA

And then we went and got ice cream. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly I love the pictures and the fact that you just wanted your kids to have fun. That, in my opinion, is what it's all about. Did Timbo influence DS fashion? Just asking.  Oh yeah, pretty speedy there lady!
      TammyinGP

oh look at you mssandbaggerismyname!! 6:42! and 1st AG! YAY Holly!!

congrats to all three of you. Sounds like a fun event and you all did so well!

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Did Timbo influence DS fashion? Just asking.

No, the Timbo lookalike wasn't my DS, mine is the one behind him....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Way to go Holly!  That's a very sweet time and First Age Group!

But more importantly, so much fun with your kids.  Kewl.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Nice time in that heat!  Now time to beat your 5K time....

I think it's cool they had the kids run with the grown ups.  Probably made the grown ups go a little faster!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Holly,

" YOU DA MOM"

I love that you did this with your kids and look at DD face.

Your son did well he looks more like he's built for power than speed anyway. But tell him power with a little speed will make him very valuable in what ever sport he plays.

And a 6:42 for you was very cool. I think we all knew you would do well in this.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

This makes me wish I was a runner when my kids were younger - how fun!!     You did awesome Holly - congratulations.

Look how happy DD is kicking it in at the finish.    Both of your kids did wonderful and you all had obvious fun!

Congrats to all of you!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

coastwalker

Hi Holly,

What a treat, to be able to run with DS and DD! DDs finish-line photo is priceless - big air and big smile. And, clearly, you were just too fast for the cameras on the course - congrats on your great time and AG win! And all that for just $3? Amazing!!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Way to go holly and kids.  I love the pictures.  Congrats to you on your 1st in AG and the kids on their speedy introduction to racing.  I've done races with both my kids and it sure means a lot to me.

TomS

#artbydmcbride

Hooray for the short family!  Great race report.  Smile

Runners run

That is SO neat.

Goodness that son has GROWN from the last picture I remember seeing.    Meanwhile, that daughter is just moving right along in her young life, enjoying each and every challenge and ATTACKING it.....(you can see that written all over her at that finish line picture.

Congratulations for getting the kids out there.    They now have a much great appreciation for what Mom does and I bet they are proud that Mom took a 1st place.

Thanks for sharing.

Vista
                          HermosaBoy

Best part!!!

Nice racing for the family!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

evanflein

Holly! That's awesome! I love Tammy's name for you. Heh. I agree. 6:42 is wonderful! That's way faster than I ran the mile last year. And it sure as hell wasn't over 90°!! The pictures are great and I love that finish line shot of DD flying to the finish. I'm envious of your family time at races. There's no way my kids would do that.
                              Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

Them men folk grow biig out in your tribe 

DD's photo would be hanging in my office.

6:42 ?? Heck yeah!! That's how you do it!!!

That's the best part about summer races!!!

You have a lot to be proud of!

Sniffing Butts, Tag