Masters Running

Feb. 20 TGIF Boomer Runs (Read 532 times)

Renee the dog

At 45, I guess I qualify for Boomer-dom, though the very tail end of it. I feel like i have more in common with Gen-Xers though. I mean my experience growing up was pretty much the same as someone who is now 43.
    I don't know jdmom3, I'm 44 (45 later this year) and my husband is 364 days younger than me. I'm a boomer, and he's not. Sometimes, we are worlds apart in reference to the world. Tongue He was an only though, and my sis, as well as all my cousins, trail all the way up through the boomer years, so that probably has a lot to do with it. Thank you everyone for the treadmill responses. It's not an entertainment device by any stretch of the imagination, but I look at it as another brain training game: If you can do these 2 on the 'mill, think how great those first two outside will be next time you can run outside! And other thoughts like that. I am setting the incline up to about 4% for most of the time, as I figured I might as well get some uphill out of it. But even at 0%, I just can't seem to run at the faster speed without overstriding. So I'll just use it for my easy, uphill runs. Wink My husband's flight from Seattle was delayed which will leave him firmly in a rush hour commute out of Northern NJ back to us here at the southern tip. Renee and I don't care -- we're waiting him out. The anticipated 20 mph winds with up to 35 mph gusts in 25 F are gonna feel great out there! Just 4 easy miles scheduled for out there under the stars tonight, but we'll probably enjoy them more than words can say. Smile

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

He was an only though, and my sis, as well as all my cousins, trail all the way up through the boomer years, so that probably has a lot to do with it.
      Maybe so nono. i'm the oldest with two younger brothers, one of whom turned 43 yesterday. I'm sure my childhood is colored by the fact that my experiences are similar to theirs.

Once a runner . . .

TammyinGP

BTW, for those of you coming to Seattle RnR, The courses are now posted. They did indeed minimize the hills, and managed to work in some cool stuff including I-90 tunnel (opposite direction as the regular Seattle Marathon), downtown, space needle, Aurora Bridge (#2 bridge in the US for suicide jumps), battery street tunnel, and the viaduct. I'm really impressed by the course.
        sweet!! I forgot that today was announcement day! Very excited about this course. And thanks for that bit of trivia about the Aurora Bridge Roll eyes , that'll be forefront in my mind as I am cursing whoever it was that talked me into running a marathon. I think I'll need one of those 'curse bands' come to think of it. Thanks Ribs - staying off my feet and flattening out my bottom side today.

Tammy

lamerunner

Good afternoon, TGIF. I increased my distance a bit, ran 8 miles this morning on pretty snowy/icy roads. Yak traks came in handy. Some pain in my butt but not bad. All this sitting in my office does not help. I don't know the pace, no speed record, that is for sure. I also swam 1500 yds at lunch. Ready for my nap now..... We got a bit of new snow yesterday and last night. Wildcat Mountain got 15 inches... skiing should be decent this weekend. I will probably wait until Sunday to run again. It is nice to be getting out running more, even just a little more. I am trying to be careful though, not clear yet how much the first shot did. Good weekend to all!
            Yee Haw! National Margarita Day!!!!!
            Oh, and while I am at it, did I really read among the other incomprehensible things Tet posts here . . . Spareribs
            Oh, thank God! Love ya, Tet, but half the time I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what yer sayin'! Big grin

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

CNYrunner gave me a shout out! That just makes my day. Good to see you here, hope you waved when you were in Rochester. Mari-My dad keeps improving, thanks for asking. 4.5 easy miles for me in some wind and snow.
              evanflein

Thanks for the course link, sr! Still a couple of good hills in there, but not too bad at all. I wish we were going around Seward Park like in the Seattle Marathon; that's a really nice part of the course. Tammy Big grin

Marathon Maniac #3309

I increased my distance a bit, ran 8 miles this morning on pretty snowy/icy roads.
                  That is soo Cool big guy...um, mean sweetheart Wink Cool too about the Seattle course Ribs, there was that one workout that went per your plan...ok, never mind Tongue Smile. Actually, at the end I was doing well with the workouts - recovery runs and all....and loved the speed work. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mariposai

erika........glad you are reading my posts...I placed it there deliberately... Cool hey that Seattle marathon route looks friendly...can't wait.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

I wouldn't mind having a copy of Ribs' workout plan . . . but just up through mile 16 please. I hear he has some fine-tuning to get a runner past mile 16.

Tammy

Seattle RnR....not many hills, nice. I'm glad I'm not doing the full....I'd hate to have to pass so close by the finish area at mile 13 and again at mile 21. Don't forget, it is a Saturday race. 4 recovery miles, first one on the TM to warmup then 3 outside. Gorgeous sunny day, bare legs. [rant on/] I almost got run over twice by cars that wouldn't stop at the cross-walk. The one car was NOT slowing down and so I picked up my pace to cross safely, then he/she had the nerve to honk at me. Big fat @ss SUV going too fast and thinking pedestrians don't have the right of way for some reason. I gesticulated at him/her. This happens to me almost everyday, a car not seeing me about to cross at the 4-way stop. The bright red running jacket doesn't seem to help either. [/rant off]

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

xor

Now that I know the course, I can see if I can make it through Seattle rnr and then on the plane for the next day's Kona race. I think I can figure out where to park so's that I can escape easily and make it to the airport... though since the course utilizes the viaduct, it removes one of my secret escapes from downtown. The biggest issue is that there are only a couple of afternoon flights to Hawai'i, and if I miss them... or more importantly, if between now and then the airlines monkey with their schedules, which is 100% likely... I may prepay for something that simply won't work out. (traveling east->west is easiest in the morning. Evening and overnight stuff is usually west->east except for really REALLY west, like Australia and Asia).

TammyinGP

Seattle RnR....not many hills, nice. I'm glad I'm not doing the full....I'd hate to have to pass so close by the finish area at mile 13 and again at mile 21.
                            After I look up the word gesticulate, that's probably what I'll be doing at about mile 21. I'll be a gesticulating homicidal, (and knowing my luck Roll eyes ), hormonal runner woman.

Tammy

Good afternoon and happy margarita slurping to all! dg - virtual brownies and beer are on their way! nono - re. the treadmill question. I find that if I sneak up on the speed I can do much better than if I just jump on and crank it up to the desired pace. I might start a slow as 5 mph, do a mile or two warmup at that pace and then start kicking up the speed in small increments - every quarter to half mile. I can achieve a 6 to 7.5 mph pace without too much effort doing it this way. I credit this strategy for the fast times (for me) that I was running last spring. 6 easy miles on the TM this morning. There's supposed to be a break in the weather tomorrow - no wind or precipitation - so I'm hoping to get my long run in outside. Otherwise it will be 20 miles on the TM....... Good runs and a good weekend to all - good luck weekend racers!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Tramps

hey guys. It's been a crazy week with work so I haven't been able to keep up here. Missed a couple days of running, too, but am making it up as best I can. Tried a 13-mile "wave" run tonight with 3@MP and 3@HM. Legs were feeling heavy from the start but I got through it okay. Looking forward to kicking back a bit this weekend. I need it. P.S. Another "technical" boomer here who never identified as such and, culturally, relates much more to Gen-X'ers. I think they should have made 1959 or 1960 the last "boomer" year.

Be safe. Be kind.