Masters Running

40s, 50s, 60s+ On the Run - w/e 03/20 (Read 512 times)

Confront the dark parts of yourself, and work to banish them with illumination and forgiveness.  Your willingness to wrestle your demons will cause your angels to sing.  Use the pain as fuel, as a reminder of your strength. (August Wilson)

Hope all the folks back East are surviving the onslaught.  This morning, they said over 500,000 people were out of power.

Ev - Good job in the 20.  Last 5 at MP?  Nice!  Not sure how to deal with the heat issue if it's there in April, so I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed it stays away.

Jim - Beautiful avatar!

Joe - If you're paying attention to my fueling strategies, I feel for you.   When you say you never take anything on your runs except Altoids, are you talking all your runs?  Even your LRs?  Anything over 5-6 miles/1 hr., I take fluids with me (Ultra from Succeed).  Food goes with me if I'm going to be out longer than 2 hrs.  After an hour, I use Clif shot bloks.  I just can't do the GU.

Today's 18 went about what I expected after yesterday's 25.5, maybe a little bit better.  I was going slow but was feeling decent until about  Mile 14.  My legs just felt exhausted at that point.  However, my last mile was my fastest (9:46 ap)!  Took me about 3.5 hrs, which is what I anticipated.  I stuck to a 20/2, ate at regular intervals, never felt under or over hydrated.

My legs are so freaking tired right now, and my feet hurt, and I can't stop eating.  I'd love to take a nap on the couch but we're off in about an hour to see "Alice in Wonderland" in 3-D with some friends.

Take care -

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

Nice run Leslie, I'm glad your weekend went well. You're probably better off walking a bit, it will loosen you up. And yea,in the winter outside I don't bring water, or anything really, even on lr's. Today however, I did 17m on the treadmill and took in 3 gu's, one liter of water (dropped 4.6 lbs) , and Denzel Washington's movie, John Q.. Poor Buddy was limited to a couple of short beach walks, but true to form, he didn't complain one bit.

Ev- Nice 20 for ya. It seems like your wheels are spinning well lately. How many weeks till race day?

Good looking avatar Jim. That looks like snowy heaven.

The storm was a good one. After about a week without it, sure could use some sun around here. Good that it's light till 7pm now!

See ya's

Nice going Leslie!

Nice tm run for you too, Joe.  I've got 6 weeks to race day.  This coming week will be a cut back, followed by two big weeks, then begin to taper.

LMD showed no mercy on me today.  After the long run and a nice cold shower, I had a late lunch, then she put me to work in the yard.  LMD, evryothrday and myself raked leaves, cut back the decorative grasses and tidied up a bit.  This time I'm ready for a hot shower and a nap!

About nutrition.  On the long runs, I do GU......love the stuff.  Also today, two girl scout peanut butter cookies and alternate power aide and water.  Leslie....the chicken soup sound great!

MTA....Joe.....I just happened to lurk ovr in the swamp.....so that's why you changed your avatar!!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

Some good runs happening!!

I got in 10m this morn, running to town and a 2 mile loop around town. In my little town running the outskirts one time equals a 5k. Yesterday was gorgeous but today dreary and chilly 33deg with a light north breeze I ran into for 2/3 of the run. Not real cold but I had some trouble regulating temperature, took me quite awhile to get up to operating temp but overall went pretty good. It was cold enough I didn't even drink any of my sportsdrink or water.

Leslie glad it all came together for you this wknd, enjoy the movie. I was thinking about your run yesterday hoping it went well.

Hey Ev super job on your 20!!! I remember Jonathan talking about training for his Florida x-country marathon in Nebraska in Oct and Nov. We probably had 30 in of snow total in those months and unseasonably cold temps then he hit 80deg/80% humidity down there. Seems like he overdressed for many of his runs to try and get used to the heat. He said it was still a huge shock to his system. Seems like we are going to be colder than normal this spring on the plains so maybe it won't be an issue beings you are training in OK and racing there too, but I know in the plains it can be winter one day and summer the next.

Great TMing Joe, too bad the weather didn't cooperate for you Buddy. Sounds like it wasn't fit for man nor beast outside!

I love listening to you guys talk about your fueling strategies for longer distances. I don't know if I will ever get there but some of it works on my longer hikes and ski tours. Talking to the mountain guides I have learned to take stuff that tastes good that I like to eat 'cause sometimes its really hard to make yourself eat at altitude and some things freeze or get too hard to bite off. my ski and hike tours I do like gu's and shot blocks and I'll eat things on the junk food side that I rarely eat at home. Cheetos are my favorite trail indulgence as they are salty and calorie dense (doesn't hurt they are a corn product ) .

I think that is an igloo in the background now that I remember where I took it. Love that Colorado Blue sky though.

as far as my hands just trauma mostly although the tip of my ring finger might have been fractured. I had a blood blister on the end of it where It hit rock. Three fingers on that hand are swollen and my right thumb is swollen where I was holding a water bottle. My elbow is very sore to touch but think its just muscle bruising. I was worried I chipped bone at first but now I can prod around there on the bone there is nothing floating, Nothing like my atv wreck just a pain in the @ss.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Never made it out the house till almost 1pm today.   For several reasons.  we are in the midst of a very impressive Nor'easter.  Max the dog doesn't like big storms.  Max needed comforting during the night.  Lost an hour to DST.  Spent the day at Mom's house doing computer training and then drove home 2 hours in said Nor'easter.  Woke up after 11am new time and then got sucked into the computer for longer than I should have.

Once I finally made it out, I actually had a decent workout.  2.75 miles on the TM in 32:00 including wu/cd.  then 4 sets of arm exercises.  15 minutes on the elliptical and then another 4 sets of arms.   feel a little sore at the moment.  Did both TM and elliptical on the hill version so things weren't always the same. 

It's now just about 10pm and the wind and rain is still going strong.  We've had well over 4" so far.

Leslie--sounds like the car didn't grab you this week.  Very impressive back to back.  Hope you stayed awake for Alice.  Although I think you deserve a nap.

Joe--17 on the TM will always impress the hell out of me.  Sounds like you might have needed a squegee once you were done.

Ev--Good 20 for you.  I've pretty much mastered the cut-back weeks.  I really need to get the actual run part going better.  Did you know the honey-do list was coming or was it just a pleasant surprise?

Jim--I think you must have pretty good pain tolerance.  It's been 2 weeks already, Ithink?  rodeo training comes in handy?  Guess I need to start eating more corn.

Hi all--have a great week.  I hope we don't float away.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Ev--  Did you know the honey-do list was coming or was it just a pleasant surprise?

LMD had said something about it a few days ago.  I pretended not to hear.  Hoping if I didn't say anything it would go away.

It did not.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

I pretended not to hear.  Hoping if I didn't say anything it would go away.

It did not.

Ha! A common stadegy used by us guys.Unfortunately , it's rarely successful.

Nice runs /workouts for Kevin and Jim.

They say one day the sun will shine again around here.Today is not that day. Tommorow's not looking good either.

I can't think of the last time I made a "Honey Do" list.  But by the time I got home from running yesterday, The Hub had done 4 or 5 loads of laundry!  85% of it was his, so . . . .

One Word of Caution re Fluids/Refueling - Don't forget that even though it's cold, you're still sweating.  A common mistake that can get you underhydration trouble.

The chicken noodle soup - It's best if you can keep it in a thermos and loop back to it.  Saturday, I carried a hand-held of the soup in the back pocket of my running vest.  It got cold real fast.  Looked disgusting, too.  Karen couldn't watch me eat it.  I also had a thermos of it stashed and toward the end of our trail miles, I stopped and sucked some down. Mmmmmmm!!!!!

"Alice" was fun.  My first 3-D experience.  I didn't really care for the girl who plays Alice.  Thought she was very unemotional.  Hardly any facial expressions.  Everyone else, though, was great.

Rest day for me, and I should could use a nap right now.  Zzzzzzzzzzz . . . .

Later, dudes and dudettes ~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Happy Monday to all and some great LR's for a few of you! You all are doing so awesome.....

I've put in just a couple of "shorties" that's all. Waiting on the MRI results. Although he said my IT band was tight he said that he thinks something else might be going on. We'll see......he had me doing squats, 2-legged and 1-legged and knew right away that I don't do core exercises. He said, "you really, really need to work your core because your knees are "paying" for it. Hmmmmm.........

Anywho, hello to all and happy running!

Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Top 'O the World!

Hello everybody!

I keep trying to get in here but, chaos reigns around here of late!  Anywho, got to run in the 22nd annual Running of the Green downtown yesterday am.  Me, Doug, Mairead & approx 7,000 of our newest friends & their friends!  HUGE turnout. Chaotic packet pickup...they tried to do something different that included typing your name into a computer & then assigning a bib????? that might work well for a couple hundred but,...hmmm, well - bet they won't do that again!!  So,  several hundred ppl, including us, didn't have our chips @ the gun, therefore, didn't start till several mins after the gun...Doug didn't even pin on his bib, just the chip & dashed off. ..spent the first 2- 2.5 miles heavily negotiating walkers!  Very hilly downtownish course (up & over the interstate amongst other things).   Felt good. not quite superhero good, but good. passed alot of ppl... no apparent foot or knee issues for me or 'Raid.   Garmie gave me & 'Raid a 47:24 time (including one potty stop for her) & Doug 39:42. Not bad for a coupla bums who haven't done much running since Vegas!  It started snowing as we were in the food line (corned beef sandwiches, cookies, fruit & milk) enrt the beer tables (Killian's). Mairead enjoyed the slow progress through the food lines! she found lotsa dropped pieces of corned beef under the tables, etc. & a few ppl just though she needed some more & fed her pieces from their sandwiches. Happy dog!  

Haven't made it back out for a run yet today...this big black dog keeps following me, just in case

Will read & chatter more later

Ciao!~

Cindy

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Hi there friends,

Sorry I've been awol lately.  Trying to focus on a work deadline + we had some serious yard working weather this weekend + nightime call from my FIL due to a fall (he's OK). 

Leslie, yay!!!!! Sounds like you had a good confidence building weekend.  Glad the soup is working so well for you. 

Joe, hope you see some sunshine soon. When the dog doesn't want  to run, it's time to take it to the house.

Ev, glad to see LMD is helping you cross train.  Sounds like your running training is going really well too.

Jim, glad you seem to be healing up from that rock boxing incident., and a nice 10 miles for you as well!

Stumpy, funny how some dogs freak during storms.  We have one of those too.  They are better than weather alert radios!  Sounds like you had a good balanced workout. 

Jewels, glad you are soon to get your MRI results.  Hard to know how to proceed until you know what's wrong.  I like the sound of your doc looking beyond just the knee in evaluating what might be going on.  Not saying it's the case w/ you, but I'm pretty convinced my knee issues at the end of my last half were strength (lack thereof) related. 

Speaking of balance and core strengthening, that's what I'm working on these days.  Aiming for cardio (run, swim or ride) in the mornings, and then throwing in yoga one night a week, and weights/core class a couple of other evenings.  Got through the initial soreness last week, so I'm ready to rock again this week.  Oh, and eating less....been logging in Sparkpeople, and adjusting my feed bag accordingly.  

Hey Arla, Cindy, and anyone else we're missing!

Progress Trumps Pefection

Queen of 3rd Place

Happy ...um...Monday...and DST on top of it....oh, well.

Leslie - awesome to hear how well those back-to-backs went. Cold chicken soup sounds ok to me. Fluid + salt + starch + protein seems like a pretty good idea!  Do you have a step-back week or are you back at it next weekend? Oh and can I borrow your laundryboy husband?

Joe - you gotta try a little run in the Feelmax shoes, much more like barefoot than the FFs. Of course maybe not so good with the coooold...and your soles might get hot on the TM.

Jim - +1 on the eat what is tasty advice, I'm definitely a fan of cheetos (haven't tried 'em for running tho'). I always am reading about the ultra folks eating all kinds of crazy, calorie-rich, salty or sugary "junk food". Pizza, cookies, chips, cold chicken noodle soup (ha) etc. It's not like GU is health food - it's just calories.

Ev - nice runs there young man. 20 with MP toward the end, just like we're all supposed to do...you planning on two more like that?

Kevin - hugs to the pup! 4 in - yikes this town would be underwater...

Jewels - ominous words from the doc, hope your MRI looks ok.

Carol - you're sure doing a lot! Two workouts a day! How much time are you spending on your core workouts? I'm always telling myself "after the next race, I'll start core (or weights, or whatever)"...turns out there's always another race...

Cindy - I take it that was a 10K - good time there, especially on a hilly course with some chaos thrown in. Of course it wouldn't be a Cindy day without a dollop of chaos!

Did just shy of 8.5 yesterday instead of 10. Feeling close to sproinky, but not yet there, the 8.something was good enough for now. I've done this enough to know that the sproinky part might not come until race day. Almost nothing this week, I think 3, 4, 2 then race. Doing some gentle stretching and then getting another massage on Friday. Hmmmm...if I have a good race day I'll have to be sure to get a massage before every race!

Arla

Ex runner

They say one day the sun will shine again around here.Today is not that day. Tommorow's not looking good either.

"The sun will come out, tomorrow.  Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow, there'll be sun."

Hang in the Joe.

Nice workout for you stumpy. 

Les.....great job for the Hub!!  45 loads of laundry!    LMD is always commenting on the amount of laundry that I generate.  It's the running clothes (especially in the winter) and extra towels from multiple showers....due to the running.  Give the Hub a high five or fist bump for me......

Hey Jewels.....I'm with you on the core.  I'm in bad need of core work myself.  It would so help my running.  Why I don't do it is beyond me.  I started awhile back, but let it go by the wayside.  I intend to strengthen my core.

Hey Mtn.....way to go on the green run!  Sorry about the confusion with packet pickup.  Frustrating.  But your enthusiastic post says you didn't let it spoil the fun.

Carol....hope the FIL is doing ok.  Nice going on your workouts.  Run swim ride yoga core strength.....very nice.

Arla....you're feeling relaxed and rested.....I can tell by the tone of your post.  All the hard work has been done and there's nothing more but unleashing it all in just a few days.   Enjoy....you deserve it!

Cut back week for me.  Then two more weeks till taper.  Yes, I've got 2 more 20s one more at least with some MP miles. 

Have a great week, folks.

jfa

Hi Kids-

Leslie- good going on finding what works for you. When I said that I'm keeping track,well I'm just paying attention to the variety of foods that folks are discussing on the Ultra thread.I would not have guessed about stuff like bacon sandwiches and tortilla's and all that stuff. Very interesting. Hope you enjoyed your rest day ,you certainly have earned it!

Jewels- hope you get that figured out with your IT band. I have to say that cross-training was always a four letter word for me. Runners just run! It helps though. A strong core leads to a straight back which leads to a balanced body and happy parts.

Cindy- Nice Race! Sounds like a load of fun for you guys.Good luck with that "black dog" thang! So she's a corned beef hound ,eh? That's funny.Are you down from the mountains now or are they still skiing up there?

Jim-hope your hands and stuff are healing ok. That is some real beautiful country that you're describing.

Carol- nice plan that you have going.Balance is a good way to go. Adjusting your feed bag, now that's funny!

Arla- only a few more days to go. How's the weather shaping up? My experience has been that I don't know how I will do until it's race day and I'm doing it. I will be getting into the Feelmax's as it warms up.For now, I'm wearing them at work!

Ev- you're right on track. Enjoy your easier week. Hope the heat stays away as well come race day. It's hard to

prepare for that.

Kevin- have you dried out up there yet? How's your DD doing in school? Our DS is home for a week on springbreak.

Well thank goodness the sun is finally out. Just to put things in perspective, after 2 winters of virtually no snow, we had over 50" of the white stuff this year. Atlantic City recorded the snowiest February on record. Just when we saw the snow melt this latest storm came through, and it was a duzzie. Our normal rainfall in March is 4.27 ".We received 4.62 " of rain in 72 hours! Wind gusts hit 70mph at Kennedy Airport and at least 6 people died from falling tress and branches.

10m and 10 machines last night. After 4 days in a row on the hamster wheel , I'll finally get outside tonight!  Weeha!

Top 'O the World!

....brewing 70 degrees & sunshine here & pushing it Eastward.....c'mon guys! help push it towards Joe (after you enjoy a bit first )  'course, being Springtime in CO, we'll do a dose of snow by Friday to share as well

Wish it was a 10K ...7K w/massive amts of ppl & steady hills - either going up em or down em!   I started out thinking I would be run/walking - depending on my foot & Mairead's knee  but, all went well &we never required a walk break - just tfc negotiations! Considering my Winter, (feeling pretty fat & slow!) I'm pretty happy with a 10:44 pace & no walk breaks!

{{{{Jewels!}}}}} good luck w/the MRI & stuff!

Carol - 'tis the season!  I still don't have my taxes done  

Jim - that rock slide thing is pretty common in that canyon. Can't believe they haven't worked out an alternate route for that sort of thing yet!? Nor blown the thing wider as yet. Kinda weird, the road is stacked - westbound over eastbound & over the river right there.  Doug & I have definitely decided that if you guys are coming, we're in for the BB. Think I even convinced him to spring for a room so's we can hang out a bit more!

Well, gotta go for now~ I do read when I can......Great runs everybody! 

Cindy

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group