Masters Running

Race Reports for the week of April 8&9 (Read 27 times)

Mariposai

Remember the days when we used to be COOL Runners and we did a full report of our races? I miss those days. I did learn a lot from the reports, the do's and don'ts, the fashion reports and the goals achieved inspired me to reach higher with my goals throughout the years.

I know we are now way too busy to write a full report of our races but, what about a weekly thread to report on the weekend races?

I am willing to start.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mariposai

This weekend I ran my 40th marathon in 10 years.

Fashion report (for Spareribs) Orchards in Bloom race shirt (I always promote my little race); Boston marathon cap. Sorry no butterfly wings this time.

The goal: to run strong the first 20 miles and then suck it up and cover the rest of the miles. I hoped to finish under 5 hours.

The race: I went to this race having only 11 weeks to train for this marathon which I registered for in December. Bad winter and sinus infections messed up my training plans, so I went into the marathon knowing that I will get what I put into, which was not much, but the highlight of my trip was the weekend with my travel running mates.

This weekend was my girls weekend with my friend Speedy Stacey and her Speedy daughter (both of them took first place in their age group. BTW, Speedy Stacey still hold our State's record from high school on the 1000 meter).

Race day: the highlight was getting an message here that Amy, aka Happy Feat who said was also running the race. It was so great to meet this lovely, skilled and sweet runner..

We started the race together and we ran most of the time together. It was so inspiring to me to see her focused to achieve her goal.

Amy ran a great race. She was so strong the whole way and finished ahead of me. I am looking forward to meeting up with her in the future again.

Meanwhile, my butterfly wings will perch on this tree until I recover well and get ready for my next wee marathon.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

coastwalker

Great RR, Mariposai!

It's great that you had a chance to meet up with friends for the race, and to enjoy Amy's company during the race. Congrats on looking good, finishing well, and always maintaining that beautiful smile!

BTW, I also help promote my races by wearing a race shirt from one of them when competing in another race.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

The trees around here are full of butterflies right now, too!

You're brave to go in on such light training. Well done.

Nice to see you having so much fun.

(Good idea re: the race thread.)

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

BTW, I also help promote my races by wearing a race shirt from one of them when competing in another race.

Jay

I also wear Jay's race shirts a lot.  He's picked very vibrant colors the years that I've run it.  We even wear the same one sometimes   Jay shows his off a little better than I do.

Image may contain: 6 people, people smiling, outdoor

Oh yeah, the whole purpose of the thread--very nice race on not as much training as you would have like (I can't say little trianing, since I would love to have your miles)  And excellent socializing, too.

For the new folks (Bertha--this means you   )  DanL (DH of Aamos), Me, Aamos (Who we would dearly love to hear from), Jay, Marj, Henrun in order.  Last year in Watertown pre-Boston 5K get-together.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

Yeah, I miss the days of full race reports, but note that I don't really do them anymore either. Thanks for doing this.

And I can certainly relate to having a marathon on the schedule and dealing with bad weather, illness or injuries! You can't time them, so just need to adapt the best you can. How did you do? Did you meet your goal time? You certainly met the "fun" goal! Nice to see Amy. I remember the name but don't think she posted much?

Mariposai

Erika, I finished it in 4:42.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I remember reading and writing race reports back in the RWOL days.

I very much enjoyed reading yours and love all the photos. It is nice to place faces to the names here since I am relatively new to this forum.

Congratulations on your marathon. Your finish time is my dream goal. Kudos.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Great start for a revived RR thread.

Also, superlative running to you

even faster than ten years ago

to say nothing about achieving

40 marathon that took me 22 years

to do in only ten years for you..

ps - weather looked pretty good too.

Are you sure it was in Washington

state, especially last weekend?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

pfriese

Thanks Mariposai for the race report. I looks like you had a fabulous time by the smile. Bucket list item for me is to one day run your race (Omak Orchard in Bloom). 

Paul

HappyFeat

Hey guys, Mariposai asked me to share my race experience too. To be honest I'm still processing it, so it's hard to sum it up other than to say: Maximum effort the whole way.

The absolute highlight for me was meeting Mariposai in person. She is as warm, openhearted, and generous spirit as I have ever met.

As for the rest of the story: I uncharacteristically and impulsively threw out my race strategy (and believe me, I am ALL about strategy) when I saw I was running out the gate with the 4:30 Race Pacer. Oh look! something shiny! It's my race goal!! Well, I ended up running faster than my current ability up to mile 17 and it was all over after that. It's all true, what they say will happen if you start out too fast.  Just. Don't. Do. It.

PS. Tet, I could have done without the headwind, but otherwise yes great weather.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Tramps

Oh look! something shiny! It's my race goal!!

LOL!

Words of wisdom in that report.

That must have been a tough one but glad you got to meet Mariposai.

Be safe. Be kind.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Erika, I finished it in 4:42.

and scored a race point in the 2017 in 2017 game with that.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Good idea, Mariposai! I loved your race report and miss reading them too. So here is mine…

The Chilly Cheeks race is in Sioux Falls, SD just an hour away from me. The options are a 10 mile, 5 mile, 5K and 1 mile. The RD told me that last year they had 400 runners, most of them using this for a training run for a spring marathon. I thought it would be a good idea to sign up for the 10 mile as motivation to get my butt out the door this winter. I was recovering from a surgical procedure so training was on the back burner until I around Feb 8th

With minimal running for two months I got my long run up to 9 miles the week before the race. A friend backed out on going with me so I talked my friend America and her DH, Bryan, into running with me. Here is a picture ofus at Sioux Falls Half Marathon last September. They are younger and faster, but it was fun to have someone there that I knew.

Race day really wasn’t that chilly at all, 49° by 8am and SUNNY! I wore tights and a pink long sleeve top, white hat and pink Asics. We saw another gal from Worthington there too so Bryan took our picture. It’s kind of funny that we all go to the same church and were the only ones there from Worthington. (I see America is wearing her race shirt, isn't that a no-no). I saw a few people with jackets tied around their waist too, shessh!

The route was an out and back, all on the paved bike trail along the river, across the falls, then up past the penitentiary and to the airport. We started out with a tail wind of 10-14mph. Within the first mile I was running all alone but following a trio of women running my speed. The first few miles were faster, of course, but just past the falls there was a big hill with switchbacks to get to the top. Man was that hard! At the turnaround it was into the wind from there to the finish.  You’d think I’d be used to the wind, but that hill really did me in.  I did get a lot of encouragement from the runners I met on their way back. Actually, at mile three I met the first racer already done with 7 miles!

Back at the park they had a Chilli Feed, cookies, fruit. I wasn’t paying attention during the awards, but the results page shows I earned 2nd in my age group for all my hard work. Maybe I’ll get something in the mail this week!

RACE SUMMARY:     154 Finished (46 Men, 108 Women)

Time 2:13:34

Pace 13:22

Overall 154/154

AG 2/2

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

evanflein

Great job, Starr! I hate wind and would really struggle with that, but at least it had some downhill, right? Second in AG counts, no need to say how many were in it! Well done!