Masters Running

Wednesday 5.4.16 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Lively day on the 'daily' yesterday! However, I think Marj wins for the best post with her Boston RR. And that photo of her with Henry by the side of the course is still a favorite!

Nice drizzly run, Stumpy, but don't forget Sophie's biscuit next time!

Yes, RCG, children are a gift. But so is someone like you who will spend the time to try to help them understand some of life's little mysteries, and mostly just be with them and let them know that someone is listening to them and that someone cares. Thanks also for the trail journal links - makes one want to go for a hike!

I'm glad you got a good run in yesterday, Henry, and good luck with the ortho today.

Cube switching, Aamos? An exercise in ??? I'm glad you'll find a way to work the new Pumas, and that you got in a peppy 8 yesterday. Thanks for the Seu Jorge info - I'll take a listen.

Congrats on your 6er, Leslie. I hope you slept without interruption last night - weird stuff you had the previous two.

Nice run-a-mute, Tet. While I like the concept of an 'autosave' here, it would cause me to be lazy and less attentive, and I don't really want that, so I'll try to focus a little more on which key/screen button I'm pushing when, and will just suffer the consequences when I screw up, and hope that once is enough to teach me a lesson.

My pot-smoking days are long over, and I think that's OK. It was an interesting time, and I've moved on to other interesting times with more socially-acceptable stimuli, such as a good workout, or an interesting conversation, or a glass of wine on the deck with DW on a nice Spring evening.

Dave's back to normal! (I think that's good...)

Twocat is in the house. I'm glad the lower leg is holding up.

Good run and BBB, Enke.

Nice 5er with a bonus, Tselbes.

Deeze, I know this would never occur to you, but maybe you need to slow down just a but for just a while.

6.2 quick RW miles in 42F temps this morning. Good workout.

DW is telling me it is time to go, so see ya!

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Lively day on the 'daily' yesterday! However, I think Marj wins for the best post with her Boston RR. And that photo of her with Henry by the side of the course is still a favorite!

+1  Marj and Henry will always be my role models. And that was the best picture. You can see the love that is there - the look on Henry's face that he's encouraging his beautiful wife that yes, you CAN do this!

So sorry that you're back on the DL Deez. I hope your PT can work some magic.

I'll do my best about the weather on the 22nd Erika, but this has been a nasty spring so far. Ran 5 this morning in 36° with 15 mph winds out of the northeast. I'll say this one more time - you shouldn't have to be running in long pants and gloves in May

PBS had an awesome two-hour special on Janis Joplin last night. Such a troubled soul with such a powerful voice. I hope some of you got a chance to watch it.

Hey Aamos - I picked up the Bug book for my grandsons. They loved it!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

You are a wild and crazy guy, Jay.

Guess I'm in the I'll freeze school of running, since I put away all my long pants in April.  46° for me this morining, and although I did start out with gloves, but that only lasted a mile or so of my 3.1.  And I missed the biscuit again!! this time due to lack of pockets.

I was tempted with the Janis special, but we went to see a lecture on the Ghost Army of WWII.  They were a group in Europe that used all sorts of deception to make the Germans think there were a lot more people around than there acutally were or were in a differnt place than they thought using inflatable tanks, trucks and planes.  Bill Blass was one of the  poeple involved before he was a famous designer.  Very interesting.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Marj - loved the RR!

Rose - I would love to do that pilgrimage!  My DH and I fell in love with it when we saw the movie The Way.  Unfortunately, since DH needs a C-Pap, we may never be able to do such things.

Erika - yay for warm weather!

5.2 miles for me this morning on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Henrun

Thanks for the kind comments about that photo. It was taken by a stranger who stopped to watch the race and emailed it to me.

I'm at the ortho' office waiting for an evaluation of my knee- which is better but not totally pain free. More later

Mike E

MM #5615

Good luck Henry!

I think we should have an RA Masters' meetup and just smoke dope the whole weekend.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Jay. I am disappointed in your subject title. Didja even consider "May the Fourth be wih You"?

I am going to try to get as enthusiastic about cleaning my floors as I do about going running or to the rec. center. Ugh.

Holly. I am glad you liked that movie, too. As for the C-pap, I will bet there is a totable device on its way. Technology moves quickly.

Also, if you ever get serious about taking this walk, let me know. It would be great to go together.

As for the Trail Journals? I am officially obsessed with these!  I am now following the trail journals of these thru hikers:

1. Portage

2. Sooner of Later

3. Sonic Goose

4. Rabbit

5. various others I stumble upon

Portage is the young Yalie. Rabbit is a little older than Portage, heh heh.  Read about Rabbit's thru hike

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Sayhey! MM#130

Well, I copied something of Rosie's, but first I have to say Mike made me SOL (that's snort out loud).

And I agree on Marj's report and photo.  Good luck henrun today.

Holly and Rosie--we loved The Way also.  Martin Sheen was on Krista Tippett and her radio show (On Being)  talking about it not too long ago.   Here--I looked it up as it was a good interview.  The Way-On Being .

Of course, now I lost what I wanted to quote from Rosie.  IT was how if you have to read too much into something, it probably isn't the right answer and how life is like that.  +1 to that!

O yay, glad the grandsons liked the bug book, Jlynne!  Will they be concocting some special recipes for us in a few weeks?  Tell 'em so long as they cook 'em, I'm game. 

O yes, the cube moving will be going on all week.  There's a certain etiquette in allowing the person into whose cube you are moving to vacate, without peeving the person who is needing to move into yours.  Rather like a slow motion ballet of sorts, only with a lot of garbage bags.

Yeah, let's remember Sophie's biscuit.

Can I just say I really appreciate my boss?  She's almost always in a good mood.  That goes a long way in colleague in my book.

And it is almost noon, meaning we have the 4th with us and can start revving up for the weekend!

oops, almost forgot, 6 slower ones.  Ran after work and a bit with the Speedsters (ended with 4 x 400s for my last mile) so totaled 14 yesterday.  And it was humid this am.  Definitely drippy.  Cold front expected today, so tomorrow's run should be a good one.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

So while I was away, you all started smoking pot?

Back at it - ran an easy 2.5 miles this morning and all feels good ... well my right hip is a bit tight, but we won't talk about that.

Off to read Marj's report

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Marathon Maniac #957

There's a certain etiquette in allowing the person into whose cube you are moving to vacate, without peeving the person who is needing to move into yours.  Rather like a slow motion ballet of sorts, only with a lot of garbage bags.

LaT - well you know, while the cat's away.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marj - thanks for the report!  Last or not last marathon, it's still an amazing accomplishment.  And now that we know a stranger took that photo of Henry and Marj, makes it even more poignant.  Should have been on the cover of the Boston paper.

I ran 5 miles this am - that means I ran two weekday mornings in a row, something I have not done much of lately, but need to if I am going to get up to 30 mpw.  After buying new shoes, my feet don't hurt even a fraction of what they used to.  I was running in shoes I also wear around at work all day - which means I guess that they actually had a lot more miles on them than I thought and the cushioning was near non-existent.

Within my 5 miler, I did one half mile at a certain pace - I wanted to see how long I could hold that certain pace - let's call it 5K pace.  A half mile was all I could do, sadly.  Hopefully next week I can hold it longer.

I only smoked pot a handful of times in my younger days.  It just didn't appeal to me.  I'll stick to my red wine.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Living in Humboldt, it's almost like smoking pot is a right of passage.  I did for awhile, but then paranoia took over and that was that.  Not mention I basically got healthier all together by starting this thing called "running."  More weirdness, I know.

But y'all decide you want to get together and have a smoke out or ingest edibles, let me know.  I have contacts. I can provide.

Aamos description of the cube moving is a kick.

30 min of stat biking with 1 x 5 min hard thrown in the middle.  Was supposed to be a 50 min workout that I thought it was supposed to be 40 min. Guess I didn't do either.  I chose to sleep instead.  And yes, Jay, I had a great sleep last night.  Thanks.  The other two nights - more weirdness. Dunno.

Okay - that's a wrap for me.  I'm buried at work.

Later, gators ~~

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mrrun

I only smoked pot a handful of times in my younger days.  It just didn't appeal to me.  I'll stick to my red wine.

Same here!

Thanks for all the nice comments on the report.  Mary Tyler used to post on CR, but didn't transition over to RA.  Never before did I add another last name -  she's also run all of the Tufts 10K races.

No runs today, just some exciting walking, etc.

Happy it looks like health is improving to the DL

marj

Henrun

Update-the Ortho  feels it is pure arthritis and no tear. He gave me a steroid shot and referred me to a chiro for Active Release Therapy- we'll see what effect the shot has first.

BTW-I did watch the Janis Joplin program last night. I was fortunate enough to see her in performance at U. Of New Hampshire about a year before she died and sat in the front row - I really enjoyed her talents and felt badly about her passing- part of that lost generation of Rock and Roll musicians.

Sayhey! MM#130

We sang every song that driver knew.........

...................................feelin' good was easy then.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)