Masters Running

40s 50s 60s + On the Run - w/e 3/7 (Read 1348 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Carol-sounds like you had a great race.  2 minutes off what you were aiming for with an 8 minute potty stop AND walking,  There were plenty of speedy parts there, too.  Must have been a huge crowd.  Relaxing and enjoying yourself solves a lot of problems--glad to hear that blood sugar appears to be one o them

35 minutes on the elliptical this morning.  Based on all the info from the ellipti-maniacs (thank you all), I upped my rate from about 110 to about 140.  And immediately gain a huge amount of respect for those that go higher for longer.

Jewels--Some folks just aren't cut out for bosshood.  Think yours might be one of them.  I will say hearing things like that makes me appreciate even more the very nice folks that own my company.  Doesn't help you much, but I feel better.  Aren;t you glad you helped?

happy running to all--time to hit the road (in the car, unfortunately)

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Queen of 3rd Place

Stumpy - my hat's off to you for getting on that damn elliptical, period! Torture devices. Worse than a treadmill.

Jewels - your boss! Dumba__..

Still waitin' on the Leslie race report...

Joe - what did you say over in swampland that made that thread get censored? Never mind, we wouldn't want our own thread to get censored...

Legs are feeling good, I think they've finally recovered from those back-to-back half marathons followed by an 18 mi day across three successive weekends. That was probably not too smart. Nothing interesting on tap for this weekend's 20, just slogging around Fresno. LA is March 21, so I'm trying a two-week taper.

Almost hump day!

Arla

Ex runner

Joe - what did you say over in swampland that made that thread get censored? Never mind, we wouldn't want our own thread to get censored...

Arla

That's why I try to stay outta places like that! 

Stumpy.....how's the foot?  And did I hear you had a twinge in the shin area....?

A nice 6er for me this evening.  

Now that the LMD has got the Bachelor out of the way, I don't know what she'll be doin' on Monday nights. 

But the Loser has Tuesday nite for a few more weeks......so we got that goin' for us, which is nice. 

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

Hey All, one hour of "Body Attack" aerobics followed by 5 m tm run.

Stumpy- Good for you working it out. They have those at my gym, but I have only glanced in their general direction. You know, without being seen by them. Anyway, how's the foot ailment  feeling?

Carol- I have seen some Cowtown pics and that looks like a huge race. Good that the weather was nice for you. To answer your question, Buddy has been only running on the weekends lately .I can't take him on trails or roads in the dark , so he's a weekend warrior for now .As it warms up, I'm going to get him out in the mornings more.

Arla- I think you're going to continue taking large chunks of time off your marathons. Your training is right on the mark . I think this is called "leakage", but my remarks were about a picture of 2 bunnies facing each other, and the poster was to create a caption for the pic. Mine was relatively tame, I think it was pointed out that someone else's previous post was questionable.Things sure can get dicey in there.

Ev-  do you have any 20's on your plan?

Evenin' gang - I've been running (literally and figuratively) since I got up this a.m.  Just now, at 8:40 pm, finished up my "home work" for the night.  I know I owe a report, and I'll get it to you.  Maybe I can grab a shower first and do it while I'm lounging in bed.

Stumpy - Congrats on the 35 min on the evil-liptical.  I think I lasted 15 the one and only time I tried.

Arla - You're going to be putting in some amazing marathon times.  I can just feel it.

Ev - The local country station did a recap of the Bachelor and played the part where he proposed to her.  I don't know that I've ever seen the show, but I was cracking up listening to the drivel.

Joe - "Body Attack"?  Was that at your health club?  More details, please.

Got in a somewhat easy 3 miler followed by only about 20 min of strength.  The last mile of the 3 was, well, excrutiating.  Chalk it up to poor - er - "relief" planning on my part.  It's very hard to walk, let alone run, with the ole butt cheeks pinched tight, tight, tight.  Thought I'd never make it home!   And then, in the middle of my strength training, during the 3 step of my second set of backward lunges (with 8-lb weights in each hand), I felt my sciatic, ever so slightly, go "poing."  I only said a few bad words, only a few.  Guess it doesn't like that backward lunge thing still.  Anyhoo - layed on the floor and did my back exercises and called it quits.  It doesn't hurt as bad as a few weeks ago, but I can tell I'm going to have to stay on top of this for awhile.

Went after work and tried on a pair of Vibram 5-Fingers.  Very cool feeling.  However, they were $75 to $85, depending on the style.  I think I'll get a pair of Saucony Bullets (which are around $40-$50) and play with those for awhile.  If things (back, knee, yadda, yadda, yadda) start to feel better, I'll spring for the Fingers.

Okay, off to shower then work on that report before I get in more trouble with Mizz Arla . . . .

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

It's very hard to walk, let alone run, with the ole butt cheeks pinched tight, tight, tight. 

Badassery comes to mind.

Again.....one tough lady.

Joe.....I've got three 20s lined up.  The last one may stretch out farther (or is it further) depending on how it's going.  Thanks for the interest.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                Farther - Variant form of “further

Further - Used as a comparative of “far.”   Adverb (also farther) (1) At, to, or by a great distance.  (2) Over a greater expanse of space or time.  (3) Beyond the point already reached.  (4) At or to a more advanced or desirable stage.  (5) In addition; also.  Adjective (1) (also farther) more distant in space.  (2) Additional.  Verb - Help the progression or development of.

USAGE Is there any difference between further and farther? In the sense  at, to, or by a greater distance  they may be used interchangeably: she moved further down the train and she moved farther down the train are both correct. However further is a much commoner word, and in addition it is used in certain abstract contexts, for example in references to time, in which it would be unusual to substitute farther, e.g. have you anything further to say?; without further delay.

I'll be back . . . . . (fair warning)

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Ev - 3 x 20+ = BA* (*badass). Nice!

Leslie - why am I not surprised that your interest is piqued by something called the "Body Attack" workout? ....Regarding minimal shoes at a reasonable price, check out some cross country flats. I got my Kilkennys for $30 at the end of the season. They don't feel very different from the Five Fingers. To be honest, I don't run in the FFs much, they're a pain to get on and the sole is actually pretty stiff. I am thinking about getting a second pair of Feelmax, they are my faves BY FAR but the pair I got is just a teensy bit small. Unfortunately they're also pricey. Also looking into Invisible Shoes (sandals) - might be just the thing when it's 800F by 6 am come July. Check this out for some other ideas: http://www.runningquest.net/2009/12/12/the-new-guide-to-running-shoes-incorporating-barefoot-shoes/

Joe - damn, I missed it! I don't know how some people find the time to be swamping constantly. Good way to blow off some steam or just have a giggle, though. Thanks for the kind words, I've been worried that I've pushed things too much.

WINDY day out there, T-storms coming later. Should make for an interesting afternoon run!

Arla

Ex runner

Farther - Variant form of “further

What about frthr? Ev, care to enlighten us?

Progress Trumps Pefection

jfa

"Body Attack" is just another name for an aerobics class. An hour long workout where you're pretty much always moving ,doing calisthenics stuff. I like it, it's pretty hard, but it's not nearly as strenuous as the "Fight Club" class that does the hitting of the boxing bag.That one's on Thurs nights and after my first try ,made me want to puke. I'm hoping it will get a little easier. If not, it will definitely make me stronger.

Thanks for the shoe link Arla. That really summarizes the different styles well. I think after reading "Born to Run", a lot of folks have it in for Nike, and this guy seems to as well. I can see why, to an extent. I have been running exclusively on the Free's for the past couple of months and really like them. He calls these reduced, rather than minimal, and I can see why, compared to the really thin shoes. I like the Nike Free Everyday's so much that I have stockpiled 2 extra pairs of them. I think that my next shoe to try will be the Feelmax Osma.

Farther on up the road.......

Further on up the road.....

I'll have to go look at that link . . .  this is a pretty good one: http://www.barefootrunningshoes.org/

Joe - You run in the Nike Frees (nasty colors)?

Arla - I'll go peruse the 'net for the Kilkennys and Feelmax.

Unfortunately, we are very limited on shoe availability here.  Hopefully Zappos will have some of these so I can try them and send 'em back easily if I don't like them.

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Not real funky Leslie. The first two pairs  here

Check out the funky colors here.  I'm particularly intrigued by the lime green and hot red pairs.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

I always end up falling in love with the UGLIEST shoes. Oh well.

10 in dreadful wind and rain

(song starts 1 min in)

Actually it was really fun. For some perverse reason I really like running in the rain. I'm gonna be soaking wet in sweat anyway, right?

Arla

Ex runner

We had the wind and rain all night, but I was lucky in that it stopped about 5 minutes before I went out.  I usually don't mind the rain, but it was downright chilly this a.m.  My thumbs never warmed up, even with gloves on.  Got in 10 with strides - - and no bathroom incidents!

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance