Masters Running

40s 50s 60s + On the Run - w/e 3/7 (Read 1348 times)

Well, for crying out loud, Jim, I think that's the same hotel we've stayed at both times we've been in Palm Springs for conference.  Is it the Palm Springs Hilton?  And nice going on the injuries!  Thank gawd you didn't break your Garmin!

I slept great last night, too!  I've decided the problem is The Hub.  With him gone, I have the entire king size bed in which to sprawl, cats be damned.  When he gets back, he may find himself shuffled off to the guest room.  Think that would fly?? 

I really planned poorly last night with the ole alarm clock.  I planned to get up and do some upper body strengthening and work on my back exercises, which only takes about 30-40 minutes.  I had the stupid thing set for 5:00 a.m.  Within seconds of it going off, Wilson came flying into the room meowing and scratching at the blankets (Mom! Time to get up!  Didn't you hear the alarm?!?).  I finally got him stuffed under the covers, and he went back to sleep for a short time.  Didn't take long, though, before half of them were in a ruckus, but I refused to budge until about 6:30.  And yes, I did my upper and back exercises, but I need to go see my MAT guy again.  Keeping fingers crossed he can work me in late this afternoon.

This weekend I start the first of 4 grueling weekend workouts leading up to AR50.  24 trail miles tomorrow with lots of climbing, followed by 16 "easy" miles on Sunday.

It's Friiiiiiidaaaaaaaaay!!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Jim - nice souvenirs! That Hilton looks nicer inside than from the street.

Leslie - thank you for telling us about your upcoming monster weekends. Now I can stop feeling sorry for myself that I have yet another boring Fresno 20-miler this weekend.

Joe - you're making me feel guilty for not cross-training. After the marathon, I promise.

Happy Friday everyone!

Arla

Ex runner

Leslie - thank you for telling us about your upcoming monster weekends. Now I can stop feeling sorry for myself that I have yet another boring Fresno 20-miler this weekend.

Too funny!  And when you're relaxin' with your feet up, drink in hand - take a sip for me. 

Joe - I've often though about getting a punching bag.  I always thought it'd be a great upper body workout.  Do you guys use those in Fight Club?

MTA - I forgot that because Karen's dad is a former Nike employee, they get great employee discounts.  I showed her the Nike Frees I want to get, and with the discount they'd be $51 including s/h.  Woo hoo!  I'll use the ones from Zappos to see if the size is right, then send 'em back and have her order them through Nike.  Think I should get the hot pink ones??

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

After seeing the hotel pool area......Yowza!
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Joe - I've often though about getting a punching bag. 

Leslie, why bother with a punching bag?  Jim apparently just uses rocks.  Rocks are everywhere, and they're free Smile.

Progress Trumps Pefection

Leslie, why bother with a punching bag?  Jim apparently just uses rocks.  Rocks are everywhere, and they're free Smile.

Ha!  BTW - I finished my report for Hagg Lake (finally!).  It's a new thread here in the Masters.  Warning - It's long!

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Joe - I've often though about getting a punching bag.  I always thought it'd be a great upper body workout.  Do you guys use those in Fight Club?

Yes, the big ones. Next time I'm going to attach a picture of my manager to the bag. I pity the fool who gets in my way.

Jim can stick to the rocks. I also have little sympathy when you're in such a nice place. It looks warm there!

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - thanks for pointing us to your RR. I'll have an extra margarita this weekend just for you.

Joe - my oh my, you're getting feisty with Paco. This is going to be fun. I pity anyone who gets in your way. *snicker*

Arla

Ex runner

Next time I'm going to attach a picture of my manager to the bag. I pity the fool who gets in my way.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

He's your manager too?!?!

Got in a blustery 9er this evening. 

I got to feeling bad about telling Jim I was no longer feeling sorry for him.  I mean, heck, look at those knuckles and the knee.  And I sincerely hope he didn't break any bones.  So anyhow, I edited up my post.  Ah....feel so much better now!   

FIL just brought ovr a big pot of stew.  Latr

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

Dang Ev I missed it........

You guys were making me laugh this afternoon and I really needed it!!! 

TGIF everyone

Some pics from the Stomp

http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee249/mzemmin/Stomp%206%20-%20Feb%202010/Day%207/?albumview=slideshow

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Beautiful pics Jim.  Am I correct in that this is a guided adventure?  Are there separate trips for beginners, advanced etc?

I think you posted a link to this guys website once before.....would you mind posting it again. 

thanks

flatland mountaineer

Easy 4 with Lulu, actually she probably got in 16 as she was off leash having a big ol' time and came home a muddy mess making her momma proud.

Haven't had time to catch up on last wk yet , maybe tommorow.

Ev  the snowshoe trip was our annual winter gathering for the group from RMNPforums. Igloo Ed and other locals guided free of charge. We had all levels of experience in the group, and for runners a pretty easy day assuming no acclimation to altitude issues. I will post some links for you. If you can walk you can snowshoe, crashing in the snow is part of the fun (beats sharp rocks).

the forums

http://rmnpforums.com/forums/index.php

Igloo Ed

http://www.grandshelters.com/

Colorado Mountain School  moutaineering, technical climbing and scrambles, backcountry and ski mountaineering, avalanche education. (the outfit I went skiing with).

http://www.totalclimbing.com/page.php

ClimbingLife Guides , I went up with them last year skiing, really cool website with current conditions, operated by a former CMS guide

http://climbinglife.com/

pm me if ya want to go up I can hook u up with experienced people, season often extends into May.

modified to correct spelling and grammar or is it speeling and grammer

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Beautiful pictures, Jim!  I especially loved the ice lake ones.  Stunning.

Ev - You got any of that stew to share??

Joe - New pic (beautiful) and new word I need to look up.

This weekend is the first of 4 tough running weekends.  24 trail miles today with lots of climbing, 16 "easy" tomorrow.  My 24 today - crappola.  To simulate AR50, I'm running the first X miles as an out and back on the road.  The balance of the miles is up Headwaters Elk River Trail, which is a 1460-foot climb in 11 miles.  It's a 3-mile run to the beginning of all the climbing.  I'm suppose to do the climbing twice.

I did 8 on the out and back, and it was around Mile 13 that things started falling apart.  My throat decided it didn't want to swallow anymore pretzels, pita chips, potatoes, or shot bloks, even though I was nauseated and needed to eat.  I finally gave in and forced myself to throw up, even though hardly anything came up.  When I got back to my turnaround point, I was able to get down some chicken noodle soup (I carried in my own "aid station"), so I poured the rest of it - which wasn't near enough - into an empty bottle and carried it in the little pouch in the back of running vest.  I made it to the top again by power walking instead of running, sitting down a few times, even laying down in the middle of the trail one time and yelling out a few curse words at the top.  Coming down isn't too bad since it's mostly down hill, but those 3 miles out sucked, too.  I sat down on the side of the trail at one point and wished someone would come along who I could ask to walk out with.  Didn't happen.  Bummer.

So 24 in 6.5 hrs.  My legs are thoroughly exhausted, and I'm having a tough time eating 'cause I'm bloated.  I'm not looking forward to tomorrow.

Thanks for letting me blow off some steam.

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance