Masters Running

40s, 50s, 60s+ On the Run - w/e 05/15 (Read 617 times)

Top 'O the World!

No Joe, I haven't actually met her...6th grade math teacher in Littleton!  ~she keeps running different races than me!   I think I first posted about her awesomeness a cpl yrs ago...1st female @ Badwater,  can't remember her status for this race - top 5? as well as several others...I do get to meet quite a number of some of the ultra althletes through the races that I work.  Even have a cpl of fb "friends" - it's kinda fun reading abt some of their adventures!  & of course, if I have time to wander all of the boards in here, I'd get to read postings by a bunch of other "local" ultra dudes & dudettes!  ie: cgerber is on my HardRock100 list  Wink  ....hmmm, wonder if I should get a RA shirt to wear @ some of these?  I already wear one that says, "Sea Level is for Sissies"

Leslie - I don't mind doing the Poms - THEY don't care for it so much! & I have a minor cat allergy so, i Nevr brush them!

Didn't get out with the jogging stroller yest - kept looking ominously like it was going to bust out in a downpour @ any minute! Finally did so around 5:30pm through much of the evening, turning to SNOW overnight - only got a cpl inches here...Trees down up North!  Somehow, I didn't think that was a great idea for the toddlers... 

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

flatland mountaineer

Arla I am very much out of my area with the Bermudagrass but here is a very good link from UC Davis.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7453.html

Ev glad the tornados left you alone. They just pi$$ me off with lives lost and all that damage. Nice 6er.

Yes BB is soon memorial day so ya better get entered and get your flight booked soon.

Kelly nice racin'. Sounds like a nice wknd overall...

Nice pace there Leslie!

Planted a big 160 ac field yest then rain overnight. Actually I was hoping for a little more rain, maybe today. The end of planting is in sight. Winter storm watch in the Nebraska Panhandle WUWT??? Cindy best skiing of the yr expected by some of the RMNP bloggers.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

LOL Jim!!  A-Basin is still open!
        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Morning -

No cardio, but I did get in 1.25 hrs of core/strength training this a.m.  My arms are a wee bit tired.

Off to get the work day started.  Later, my friends ~

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Ev - glad to know all is well and that you even got in a nice run.

Jim - thanks for the link, I will definitely study that. Forgot you were running BB, I've been hearing great things about that for years, must get out there one day.

Leslie - nice runs...you are amazingly strong after all that crazy training for AR50.

Cindy - even here is CA the skiing is still going strong. Mammoth says they'll have 4th of July weekend skiing!

Found out my group that ran the Disneyland HM as the characters from Alice in Wonderland made the flier for this year's HM! Full page photo of four of us! I'll try to get it scanned and post it here.

Nice 9 and change in IRC...

Arla

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

....looking fwd to pix of Arla & frens!

15" & counting in RMNP! 

Oh, what to wear, what to wear to BB!?!?  appropriate running gear or costumes????  18 more days.....

....just got back from an easy cruise in IRC (ideal 'Raid conditions ) ~ getting dark, 34* F & lightly snowing & trying to figure out how to log a P90X workout?! we don't seem to have a drop down for "kicked my own a$$" type workout!?

Top 'O the World!

More on the (IAU) 24 Hour Run World Championship in Brive, France :      http://www.americanultra.org/AUABrive10.htm

Our own RAer, Dopple Bock is running, as well as my hometown girl, Jamie Donaldson!

http://www.examiner.com/x-36916-Denver-Running-Examiner~y2010m5d12-Littleton-math-teacher-Jamie-Donaldson-in-France-for-24-Hour-Run-World-Championship

flatland mountaineer

5.5 miles with tempo portion. I was supposed to run yesterday but with the rain I slept in. Lulu went the last mile but got in 2 miles during her off leash portion.

Yes would love to get some of that fresh pow in RMNP, most snowpack of the yr yest. Some incredible scary lines being skiied this spring, me I'm more low angle kinda skier. I can wet my pants just reading this trip report, holy cow....

http://14erskiers.com/blog/2010/05/tr-capital-peak-9-may-2010/

Later friends, will planting just after noon I think.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Wow!  Those are some incredible pictures.  Thanks for the link, Jim.

Cindy - I'll have to check out your links later.

Arla - Without all the massive amounts of running like the training for AR50, I feel like such a slug!  However, I believe this is my last week of relaxation as I have to start gearing up for SOB.  Maybe a few pounds will start to come off.

Sleep-in Day for me.  I was thinking about getting up and working out (and a brief stand on the scales pushed the point ), but then I remembered that Sunday is a 10-mile day along with 12 trail miles on Saturday.  Working out 9 days in a row (this past Monday through next Tuesday) didn't sound real appealing, although I know many peeps do it.

Got some very good news yesterday that is making me breath a whole lot easier.  The partners at my 3-day-a-week job agreed to hire me full-time.  Yesterday was an absolutely crazy day there, and on the fly my boss said, "Oh, and you have a job."  I looked at her for a beat and said, "Full time?"  "Yeah.  We talked about it at our meeting today and they were like, 'yeah, whatever.' "  Me: "Okay, let's celebrate later." And then I was running again.  We had 6 different pleadings that had to be signed by people here and out of the area and filed by 4:00, plus all had to be mailed out to 25 different people/law offices.  And I had to get my truck and be at a personal appointment by 5:00.  Whew!

Now I just have to make my boss at this job (Thurs/Fri) set a date that he's done.  If he doesn't, I'll set one for him.  Like: "Okay.  Well, I'm going over there full-time as of X-date.  You need to either get your act together or find another secretary."  Well, it won't be that blunt, but it'll be close.

Okay.  I've blabbed enough.  Have a good one ~

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

More on the (IAU) 24 Hour Run World Championship in Brive, France :      http://www.americanultra.org/AUABrive10.htm

Our own RAer, Dopple Bock is running, as well as my hometown girl, Jamie Donaldson!

http://www.examiner.com/x-36916-Denver-Running-Examiner~y2010m5d12-Littleton-math-teacher-Jamie-Donaldson-in-France-for-24-Hour-Run-World-Championship

USA Men in 1st place. USA Women in 2nd. It's way early though.

flatland mountaineer

4 miles being dragged along by Lulu.

Happy 90th Birthday to my dad. He is thriving again and has a big ol day planned.

Happy 90th Birthday to my dad. He is thriving again and has a big ol day planned.

HAPPY 90TH BIRTHDAY, FARMER JIM'S DAD!!!!!!!!  WOO HOO!!!

3 ez miles this a.m., followed by about 35 min of core/strength, focusing on upper body with only a few leg exercises thrown in.  The right hammy is a bit sore, and I have 12 miles of trails ahead of me tomorrow.  New territory, too!  It's a 40-min one-way trip for me, but I'm really tired of the Forest.

So today I tell my Thurs/Fri boss that July 2 will be my last day to work for him, after over 13 years.  Decided I need to set the deadline.  It'll be weird, but I'm ready for the transition to full-time at my other job.  It'll be nice to have everything in one place again.  [Is my notary book here or over there?  Where's my file for Conference?]

Hope you have a rockin' Friday, folks ~

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Guess I've been sort of quiet this week.  My back seems to be healing nicely and I think I'll make it to pump class tomorrow.  Hasn't bothered me me to run or walk at least.  I'm starting to work on increasing my runs each time and I think there's a little fitness building (finally).  Yesterday I did just over 4 miles at a 9:21 pace, which is only a few seconds slower than my 5K last month.  Of course that I did 8, 9, and 10 m/m.  This was a nice even 9:20 +/- a few seconds.  It felt really comfortable.  The schedule says that I should do a 5K this Sunday.  It's supposed to be a great morning, but I have to decide if I want speed or some more distance.  this used to be a tempo run.

Leslie--good news on the job.  Does this mean any benefits?  Just nice to go to the same place all week.   Sorry you're at war with your weed whacker.  I have an electric that's at least 20 years old.  Of course I can do any part of my yard using just a 50' extension cord, so it hasn't been really stressed over its life.

Jim--glad to see you're getting in runs amongst the planting.  Does the rain help set the seeds in place?  or just give them a good start?  Happy Birthday to Dear Old Dad.  Sounds like it was happy.

Arla--Nice 9.  Hope you win your grass battle, too.

Hi to everyone else.  need to pass the computer over to DW so can't go back much farther.  Hope all your runs are long and satisfying.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

jfa

Howdy Folks- looks like it'll be the weekends for catching up here,at least for the time being. The changes at work for me are a good thing. For over 20 yrs I have been a computer network field tech, rarely staying at one customer's site for more than a day or two. I do upgrades, maintenance, troubleshooting, hardware and installs. When the economy tanked, the installs of the new equipment all but dried up.The company let go some office staff, one of which was the in-house/ front line tech support guy, which then became me. So all those years on the road, schlepping around in bad weather and NJ traffic, I wondered how I would adapt to being in one office all day,day after day. I found out that it's not for me. So fast forward to now, sales are picking up, bossman agreed to put me back out there, so I have been both out in the field, and coming in to help the new guy succeed at my old job. For me, being out keeps my skills at the highest level, I have variety, and frankly my dears, I was born a ramblin' man.

Carol- hope all is well with your garden. Do you have to fight off critters? Armadillo's or whatever else lives in TX? I know how hard it is to shake that "didn't bring the dog" guilt, but you deserve some free runs too.

Arla- good that you're back to normal. That's wonderful that your Mom has settled in and is doing well. Looking forward to seeing those pics.Any more halfs coming up?

Cindy- that's so cool that you have all those ultra folks around. Don't know if you saw the results:

Jamie Donaldson - 5th American- 120 miles. USA Womens Team-  4th OA. Our own RAer, DobbleBock, as you know,really kicked some butt. Ran 154miles for 12th place,and got faster throughout. His last 2 laps were not only the fastest for him,but the fastest on the course for anyone! US Men took 3rd place, largely because of his surge. Can't beleive that you still have snow around.

Leslie- Good luck with your new job situation. As has been mentioned before, your resiliency and work ethic will get you through it, I have no doubt. Hope that your new stomping grounds are a nice place to play.

Kevin- good going on your runs and workouts. Glad your back is healing. I think maybe building some base might

be better than a 5k, but you know what to do.

Jewels- yea, Coconut Grove sounds cool. What could sound more tropical than that? From what I understand, your weather is more normal now,but some winter, eh? It's cool that you have so much fun with your sisters and Mom.

Ev- I had no idea how bad those tornadoes were until I saw it on the news. Very frightening stuff. Keeping my fingers crossed for you for the entire season.

Kelly- sounds like you're getting your game on again. Very impressive placing in your race, and Jack too. I think you mentioned it back a ways, but are you gearing up for another 100?

Jim- those are some awesome pics! Wow what a place to be! Hoping your planting is soonly done. Sounds like you're going to be in some good running shape for BB this year.

Been getting my runs in and doing a little speed stuff twice a week. I have a 5k next Sat, probably another two weeks later, and at least one 5m race in July. Doing the machines at the gym and boxing class is making me stronger and more flexible. I have been doing lunges to loosen the hip up. The speed work seems to kick up what ever gets out of place with my hip, so I can feel progress and improvement.

10er last night just skirting the edge of a t-storm. Down the boardwalk and it didn't start until just after turning around for the 5er home. Lightning and thunder were well in the distance but I moved off the boardwalk onto the other side of the road to get off the beach. Had a sweet treat looking at a rainbow ,end to end, over the ocean, for a good 20mins or more.

Have a good weekend peeps!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Joe--glad you're back where you like to be.  I've never been a true road warrior, but I like to be out in the field up to a certain point.  After I did 150 days of travel in one year a while back, I sort of got my fill for serious travel.

I think you make sense on the 5K.  the 7 that i SHOULD do is more important at the moment.  There was also just a hint of cherry picking the race that I wanted to do.  I looked at last year's results and there was only one guy in my AG and he only ran a 27:00.   I might do a 10K in a couple of weeks if I can find one, just to get a longer race under my belt before the half at the end of June.  Once I finish that, I can try some actual speed work and aim towards a corporate 5K that I do with my company in August.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.