Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run w/e 10/14 (Read 272 times)

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” (Dr. Seuss)

Rest day today.  Wrangled the Wilsonater under the covers for a short time, but once he started getting ansy, he got kicked outside.  Unfortunately, about an hour later the Chicanator got vocal.  Oh well.  6:00 a.m. was better than 5:00 a.m.

Put a new toy in the bird's cage and he's having a conniption fit over it.  It's a twirly thing with bells and slides onto the wooden dowel/perch.  I put it on his favorite perch, effectively cutting his perch in half.  He climbed all the way out and over the top of the cage trying to get to the other side where his mirror and treat cup with egg are.  Unfortunately, once on the other side, there's no entry, so he had to climb all the way back over to get back inside.  He has a secondary perch and a branch below his favorite perch that he can jump down to, but won't traverse to the other side to climb back up.  Instead, he climbs across the back of the cage to get to the other side.  He's cracking us up 'cause he's so PO'd about the new item.  He'll figure it out, though, and I think he'll like it.  I'll give it about 24 hours.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Well,  I continue to  stir up trouble.  Got a couple of great responses from my friends, Kate and Russ.

Response from SOB RD  (my big question - Who the heck is Melanie??Wink):

Melanie,

We have not changed the time limit on our race since John and I took it over four years ago.  In 2012 12 people ran between 8 and 9 hours, 2011 the figure was 14, 2010, the amount was 12 and in our first year, the number was one.  If you would look back on the results you would see we are averaging more people running between 8-9 hours than an any time historically.  We don't actively pull people that are not making the cut-off unless the individual is having trouble.  That you think we are looking to "cater to elite runners" belies the facts.  I resent that you would even say that.  We have promoted running for all types of runners and have training group runs that elite runners don't bother with.

We keep the limit on simply to prevent people from entering that will only walk the entire thing, a situation we have had in the past.  That you are disheartened that we have kept the policy in place so we can discourage people from walking the entire length, as happened in 2004, and taking over 9 and a half hours, well, that is our call as race directors.  We are happy with the changes we have made to make the race even better every year, for everyone.  The continued growth of the SOB races seem to indicate we have done just that.

Rob

My response to his response, which I revised multiple times:

Rob - First, let me apologize for upsetting you, as I obviously did.  In re-reading a portion of my email, I can see where some of the content may have been insulting, and that was not my intention.  Again, I apologize.  Second, I think there may be a misunderstanding of my concern.

With a start time of 7:00 a.m. for the 50k and a finish time at 2:30, that allows only 7.5 hours for the runners to complete the race.  The early start option (which has been eliminated) provided an extra hour to finish the race, i.e., 8.5 hours.  Your response to my email confirms the fact the extra hour is needed by a number of runners when you indicate the race is averaging more people running between 8-9 hours than at any time historically.  Thus, a 7.5 hour finishing requirement (without the early start) cuts out those runners.  (As an aside, the 50-mile race starts at 6:00 a.m., so I guess that is why I don’t understand eliminating the early start option for the 50k.)

It may be that aid station captains are allowed to use discretion as to when to let a person slide past the cutoff times, but slower runners looking to run this race, such as me, who could make the aid cutoffs but not necessarily the finish cut off, would see there is a 7.5 hour overall cutoff and wouldn’t sign up because we know we’d never make it.  The extra hour the early start provided is obviously crucial to a lot of runners, not just me, and more than likely, it's because of the last 3 miles which are tough.  (Please don't think I am complaining about that climb.  It's just a tough bugger.)

If you are allowing people to continue running who may exceed the 7.5 hour cutoff, it’s not implied in the information on the web site, which I understand.  You don't want to "imply" anything because people need to know these are the rules, end of discussion.  But let’s face it, most folks want to see their names listed as an official finisher.  If the slow runners are still going to get extra time (based on aid station captain discretion) but not get listed as an official finisher, many aren’t going to participate. Call it pride, but it’s a satisfactory result after a hard-fought battle, especially on a course as tough as SOB.

In my case, 2009 was my fastest time - 7:39:13.  It was a great day for me, but I wouldn’t have made the cutoff if I hadn’t used the early start.  In 2010, it took me 8:18:49.  Again, I used the early start and just made it under the wire.  Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to run SOB in the last two years.  In 2011, I had a severe foot injury, and in 2012, it was too close to the Mt. Hood 50, but it is a race I have wanted to go back to.  Not only is SOB a great race, but it’s one of the few that is within a decent driving distance for me (4 hours).

I completely understand your concerns, as race directors, regarding the folks who want to walk the entire course.  This isn’t a walking event, it’s a running event.  And I, too, think you have re-energized this race.  Your aid stations are top notch, and your volunteers are some of the best.  I have had nothing but great experiences at SOB, and it’ll be a sad day (for those who want to run) if its popularity gets to the point where a lottery has to be implemented as has happened with so many other races.  However, with the amazing growth of trail running, it might end up being a given.

In the end, I guess this is a long-winded way of saying I hope you some day reconsider the elimination of the early start so as to accommodate us slow pokes.

Again, thank you for listening to my concerns.

Sincerely,

Leslie Ames

Leslie
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - I think that you were very gracious in your response.

First day of physical therapy, I was nervous. Good news is there are no major problems, and both legs are the same length. Problem area seems to be the gluteus medius. They also used ultrasound and electrical stimulation on my, and some massage, which was great. However I have some homework, a lot of "fun" things to do on my foam roller, and a couple more stretches to do. He's going to be adding more exercises every week. *sigh*, I just want to run, but have to accept the fact that cross-training is necessary. Young PT was a lot of fun and very informative overall.

Ex runner

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Arla, I've been out of touch and unaware... How are you injured? Yeah, that gluteus medius is a tricky one... Other than kickboxing, there aren't too many moves that target the haunches specifically....

Queen of 3rd Place

OM - She Who Is On the Cusp of Tapering - in mid-August, I tweaked my left SI joint (just bending over), it took 3 weeks to recover. Fortunately running felt fine. The week it recovered, it happened again, this time on the other side. I figured there's an underlying problem that needs to get sorted out. Kickboxing? Anyway, I go back on Thursday to get it worked on again, he's sort of thinking about it in the meantime. 

I'm guessing there's an underlying weakness/imbalance because mostly I just run, I'm very inconsistent with cross-training and core work. 

Had a nice 9 miler this evening, although the glute medius area was a little sore from everything they did! 

Ex runner

flatland mountaineer

I took advantage of a beautiful wet snow saturday and took a full day off Sunday to break our streak of 39 consecutive work days most of them long. Anyway got a little 4 miler in, hadn't run in a week and a half, kinda like the end of the race the last week of harvest was go as long and hard as we could to get it in the bin. Just finishing up wheat seeding now, it is going so much better seeding into nice moist dirt and knowing it has the moisture to germinate. Pumpkin Run and Bluffs marathon and half this weekend but not trained for either cause of this drought accellerated ( messed up) year. The flip side is that we will have the bulk of our fall work done soon and hope to get back to a more normal rum schedule.

Leslie that cutoff just sucks, kinda seems to be a trend. Hope your correspondance hits the mark. Congrats on maintaining your training through a brutal work scheule also. We are also fighting an unofficial cutoff in many of our little races out here. Most of the runners just do the 5ks and if you do the 10ks or 10 milers the prizes are all drawn , the swag given out and they pick up the finsih line after the first few longer racers come in. Getting really discouraging.

Best wishes to Doug and Cindy at the Bluffs this weekend also to Kelly alias Ultrachick. Several from here running including our sub-elite gal but don;t know if she is racing it or just running the half with her mom that is our age. We thought about coming up just to cheer yall on but might have to run to Greeley to look at a used truck.

Arla hope the old SI comes around quickly for you. Wish you could see a Hruska trained pt but sounds like your guy knows his stuff.

Om that group run in the city with the digestive issues sounded like a great test of intestinal fortitude in more ways than one and do it that fast congrats.

Joe loved the Buddy sailing pics, hope trainng is going well. When is/was NY?

Stumpy another king of the work weeks that go on for weeks at a time. At least I get to sleep in my own bed. And run 9 30's after a 3 week layoff awesome. Hope work lets you get back to more frequent running also.

Have a great rest of the week folks. Hiyas to any lurkers out there.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

More info on this gluteaus medius, please.  I'm a firm believer in cross-training.  The four months I didn't do in training for Mt. Hood was a big mistake, so come hell or high water, I'm working it back into my schedule.

Jim - One of my biggest pet peeves is rolling up the carpet, so to speak, before all the runners are off the course.  It's a slap in the face to the slow runners who have paid the same fee to participate in the race.  There have been incidents in some of the trail races I've done and ones Karen has done where we're one of the last ones across the finish line, and not only have they pulled the finish line stuff, but there's also nothing left as far as food and drink.  Let me see, I've just spent 8+ hours doing my absolute best and I'm not afforded the same as all the other runners?

Karen volunteered at Waldo about a month ago where they had loads of food prepared for the racers AND volunteers at the finish line.  The kitchen didn't close until every last volunteer had come off the course.  In the case of Karen and the folks she worked with, they didn't get to the finish line until after midnight.  Didn't matter.  The kitchen was open, there were burgers, veggies burgers, salads - anything they wanted.  The Reason?  The guy running the kitchen was one of those folks who crossed the finish line last and was greeted by nothing.

Okay - I'm off my high horse.

3 EZ miles yesterday, rest today, which is good since I'm pooped.  Didn't leave work until 6:45 after a 2+ hour meeting with a client.  I'm going into this race on Saturday t-i-r-e-d.  I just want to finish without feeling like I've been run over by a truck.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Leslie--it's to encourage you to run faster and get there before everything's gone (tongue firmly in cheek).  but it does get annoying at even some of the 5Ks I've done that things are looking pretty picked over and I'm usually a mid-packer for those.  i have noticed that there are a lot of spectators helping themselves, too.

Jim--I think I've got a LONG way to go to match up with your schedule.  I think it's actually easier to work long days when I'm on the road, since there's not a whole lot else to do other than work.  DW gets stuck with all that fun stuff.Black eye

I'm going to bed early tonight and getting out for a few laps around the hotel in the morning.  It's supposed to be about 41 and the natives are feeling a little chilly. 

arla--hope the PT helps and gets you straightened up.  Still hot out your way?

Good night all.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I find the contrast between road races and trail races interesting.  I've only done one large road run, which was my one and only HM.  I enjoyed myself, but in comparison, it felt more like a cattle call.  I'm not sure I could ever do another road race (except for our local turkey trot).  One thing I know about trail races, at least the ones I've participated in, the spectators would never help themselves to anything that is specifically for the runners.  Talk about bad ju ju!

And I have to say, 95% of the trail races I've done have been spot on for their runners, and I never hesitate to thank everyone involved for being out there for me.  I certainly wouldn't be able to run my race without them.

Okay - Off to type for an additional living ~

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Jim - man, what a tough way to end your season. Glad the wheat planting is looking good. Oh, and to hear that you're getting back to your normal rum schedule (what a fantastic typo).  

Leslie - I'm havin' a feeling that the current running boom is going to settle down a little. I hope that makes some of the less-friendly events (even though I really think it's the minority) a little more friendly again. I am lucky that our local racing events are slow-runner and also walker- friendly. It's why I got hooked on this running thing, it was great to be a slow newbie runner and get cheered on like a champ at the finish! Anyway, keep us posted on the RD's response. 

Stumpy - ah, the ol' running around the hotel. Good for your for sticking to it. 

Leslie asked for more gluteus medius news (that's kind of funny, isn't it...we runners really are a strange bunch). Not sure what to say yet, I think the PT is still thinking about what's going on. Since it's been almost two weeks since I "tweaked" my back, the symptoms are mild and it's a challenge for him. He did a bunch of testing on me (Pulls on leg: does this hurt? Presses on back: how about THIS?), and the only real tender area he found was the gluteus medius. We discussed the possibility that I have, in general, core weaknesses and hip stabilizer weaknesses (that's a lot of muscles when you put it all together), and the plan tomorrow is that I'll get a regimen of exercises. 

Meanwhile, medium-long 9-er yesterday and very easy 6 today in .....ahhhhhh...mid-70s weather. 

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

Hey Gang!

Glad you caught Jim's typo, Arla! I'll bet RUM was exactly what he meant!  Big grin I think pina coladas on the beach would be the perfect application!

In my field, I see the debate btwn SI joint issues & Illio-psoas as the cause for such issues....& therefore, which treatment application is most effective? Just throwing that out there.... GM: kickboxing, salsa dance,  belly dancing, some boot camp torture routines: single leg, weighted squats, etc.  Yep, lack of cross training/core strength training stuff will come back to haunt Roll eyes ~ don't ask me how I know!

"High Horse" away there, Leslie! You've hit two of my pet peeves!!  On several occasions, if my speedy DH had NOT had the foresight to save some food & beer for me, I'd have had none! & I've yet to be the last one in!  But then, he's come in @ 4 hrs on a marathon course & found not much left because spectators were allowed in the food tent! Angry  (of course, I've since gotten in the habit of taking a cooler along)  ~ Or a 7 hr cutoff, but by 6 hrs, the only thing left was the finish line, OR races that encourage charities (Competitor comes to mind here) but then have a 6 hr cutoff! Can be lots of walkers with those charities, some of whom, despite their pace, are much more inspiring than the elites!  To have not only the course closed, but no finish line support is hugely disheartening to someone who is putting it all out there to the best of their ability!  They most likely spent months working towards this one event. One such friend is on deck for the Monument HM on Saturday. She's had years of dealing with a Parkinson's like neuromuscular issue. She completed her first 5K this past Spring & got excited enough to try something bigger. Last I heard, she has some 22 family members joining her for a total race contribution of $1,725.00. She will be one of the last ones across the finish line. I believe she & her crew are entitled to full course & finish line support!!  & Speaking of walkers, some of them are freaking fast!! I know of a woman whom I've seen at a cpl of the running group nights that has a formidable race walk pace!! Holy smokes! so the statement:  " simply to prevent people from entering that will only walk the entire thing?"  what a maroon!!  Now, it IS a race, so I guess I can understand discouraging "ambling along" but!.....

In light of our country's obesity epidemic, I would like to see this running boom to continue - but maybe some more beginner friendly events need to be developed to encourage more people to try! Yes, there are a lot of 5K's in my area, but that isn't true elsewhere.

On that note, I'm on deck to "meet for a chat" with a RD sometime in the next week (schedule foibles) to discuss both of these issues. Me & my big mouth just may have brought this on Wink Wish me luck!

Thinking I need to dig out my Winter running duds real soon. Not only did temps suddenly drop & stay there, I'm noticing that my doggies are getting more "fuzzy" than in recent years!  & now the Dept of Energy has stated that it is expecting heating costs to increase (due to predicted colder weather) by 15%!  Farmers Almanac seems to agree,  For this wknd, Winter Storm Watch in effect for the high country for Friday afternoon through Sat afternoon.  Could translate into chilly rain for our race... means I'm taking layers to Bluffs!

On other news:  The Great American Beer Festival kicks off tonight here in D town featuring some of our best craft brewers!! Here in CO, craft brewing contributes approx $446 million to our state's economy! I LOVE seeing more & more local brewers sponsoring local races! Wink

Enough babbling, I need to take Mairead around the neighborhood & then get some other stuff done

Have a great weekend everyone!!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Top 'O the World!

Wow, where IS evryone??

We're hanging out in good ole Scottsbluff, NE ~ recovering from yesterday's inaugural group run titled the Monument Marathon. That would be me, Doug, Kelly (ultrachick) & Slohand's friend, Tony (Ciei) + a few other "local" friends (DH & I lived here for 15 years!)   Contrary to weather trends of the season, it rained for a good spot or two during the race. The worst pocket was actually at race start, as we were all huddled waiting for the officials to finish up their commentary, sing the national anthem & turn us loose! At least we were allowed to hang out in the park's visitor's center & stay warm & dry from the time the buses dropped us off until 5 mins before start! The much needed water was running down the road like a river as we got the go. Some of us actually had decent rain gear...many, not so much :/

I think they did a pretty good job for an inaugural.  & despite the challenging weather, the course crews stuck it out for the duration & were cheerful about it! It wasn't a fabulous day for me. Not bad, but certainly not fabulous! May have been that 90% was on hard surface?  It started to get hard about half way...I probably should have run alongside the road instead of ON it as much as possible - This was tougher than the Bear Chase 50K two weeks ago!!. But, I made it across the finish line, where there were friends, beer & free pizza! DH & Kelly were well matched & apparently stayed at least within visual of each other for the entire race. She started out in the lead, then he passed & stayed in front for a bit, but in the end, she passed him & finished about 2 mins ahead of him. So, even though He got another PR, he got "chicked!" She got a a 1st AG award.  The local paper did quite the cute writeup on her coming in, in which she was quoted as saying that this would be a "training run" for her as she's btwn 50 milers or something! She got to be our local celebrity - &  Doug & I boosted that just a bit more! Wink I scrambled the facts just a bit, but the jist was there. 

Now, I have to go get some breakfast & head over to a friends' house to do a load of massages for a group of ladies who did their first HM yesterday. I agreed to 6! Oy!! One of my dear friends from here, who has been dealing with a Parkinson's like neuromuscular problem for many years - in fact she was using a walker for a bit a few years back! Said she was so inspired by what Doug & I were doing, that she just had to try. This past Spring, she completed her first 5K & was soooo giddy that she signed up for this HM & then called all of her family & friends to join her. There were 22 of us. She & her sister walked the course in just over 4 hrs. I am sooo proud of her!! Smile

Have a great day!!

C

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Hi, Cindy - Good job on the race, and big congrats to Doug and Kelly.  Haven't heard from Kelly in quite awhile, but it sounds like she's doing well.

And congrats to your friend!  What an accomplishment!

I've been incommunicado since Friday.  Went over to Weaverville and ran the inaugural Weaver Basin 50k yesterday.  First class race, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.  Came in 2nd to last in 8:03:30, but got 3rd female!  (Of course, there were only 3 women, but I'll take a placement whenever I can get it!)  The guy who won, finished in 3:48:12 - Shocked

4597 feet of elevation gain/loss, with a significant chunk of that in the 2nd half of the run.  Two-hour drive home and yard work today, and I'm pooped.

Hope everyone else is doing well -

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance