Masters Running

Thursday 1/19 Where's Jay?? (Read 39 times)

Good morning good people! No Jay - no recap. Sorry   It's another gloomy, gray day here. I think I'm catching GOLS (that's grumpy old lady syndrome)  This is the female version of Dave's. It was too slippery to run outside and I'm nursing a very sore heel so I went to the Y and did 60 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes of weights and core. Speaking of heels, I'm not sure what this is. Nothing visible on the outside but painful to walk on and it hurts when I push on the sore spot. Anyone have any ideas?

Off to serve the kiddles their lunch. It's taco day today, which means lots of messy tables and lots of cleanup.

Have a great Thursday everyone!

TammyinGP

maybe just some inflammation in the tendon, Jlynne? 

Rain is still steady today so depending on how hard the rain is at 4:00, I'll either go for a run outside, or force myself into the gym that I haven't visited in many many months, and reintroduce myself to the treadmill.

Tammy

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Went to the Ford Test Track and did 8 miles. Round and round and round and round. 8 laps.

I did 1.5 mile wu

5x800 with 800 recovery

2 mile cd

It went ok.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

mrrun

Hi Jeanne, Tammy Lori, and others to follow,

nice weather on east coast - sunny and high 30's and going to 40's.  ran 4 on  a strange route as i'm picking up GD2 at new school today and I had to figure out where I was gong - up a hill that i never run.  tai chi in a couple of hours - that's my Y activities

tet - while you were mia, I posted about a book we're reading on Japanese runners and the eikeden (sp?) relay race.  have you done those?

where's twocat lately?

marj

Tramps

Jlynne--don't know, but I hope it feels better soon.

Tet--that's quite a list!  Where are they now?

Holly--that was wise workplace advice yesterday.

Leslie--yeah, on days like that I wish I had a camera.

Erika--amazing temps.  Just jaw-dropping. Homes must have to be really well insulated up there.

jtv--hiya! Best of luck with the hip.

Mari--that's a heck of a productive day!

Bertha--nice workout.

My day started with a call from the credit card company regarding suspicious activity. "No, we haven't bought thousands of dollars of home goods in France or Germany..."  Grrrrr.   I'm amazed at how often this happens.  We seem to get hit every year or two. One day this whole digital economy is going to come crashing down.

And while I'm at it, get off my lawn, too.

6-miler with no energy.

Be safe. Be kind.

..hi guys................nice to see Old Faces checking in..................I miss choovie........

Hi to jtv//.....I had a Hip Replaced in 2015

and

had to retire too

.........I actually

made ''Racing Crutches'' and a DYI HipBrace

which got me a couple of Extra Years ''Sorta Jogging''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdftpiq5cCs

............ps.....w0w......I've been PoolRunning the last 9-years,

and

Luckily lost the Gut I had in the Picture

also

it's Painful to watch

that Right Foot turning out like that

(Post-Op it doesn't do that any more)

so

if you don't mind Looking Like an Idiot,

I'd be glad to pass the info along

==========

50s here

and more drizzle,

30-min HH on GreenWay,

trying to cut back,

I think I pushed it a little too much for TheBack,,,,,,,,,yeah, Big Shock,,,,,

..........jylnne//.......have you tried Padding it??.......that or Bracing is all I know...

...............good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Still too worn-out and too much to do to do any running or walking yet but, though nobody on our lawn, the old sidewalk gang still hanging around the International District’s still the same with their good morning “hi-ya”’s “how ya doin?”’s “Got a light”’s?, “any change bro”’s, etc.

Speaking of heels, I'm not sure what this is. Nothing visible on the outside but painful to walk on and it hurts when I push on the sore spot. Anyone have any ideas?

sorry jeanne, never had sore feet, . . . . except after every marathon.

Fortunately, no heel striking sine shoes so no heel problems.

Jefftv - thanks for the update.
                sorry about the hip but glad it’s something you can look forward to getting replaced and back to normal instead of having to live with for the duration.  In the meantime, I guess as long as you don’t have to be Olympic-caliber competitive and they have a recreational division, the race-walking nationals would be a great experience. Maybe Jay too. I still remember the thrill of skiing well-behind but in the same tracks of the Olympic medalists in the recreational division of the U.S. Cross Country Ski Nationals now some 40 years ago. I also remember you being so fast when you were out here in those days that, even though it was well within my real running days, I opted to cycle along with your morning waterfront outing.
                Japan running
                marj - thanks for mentioning your Japan ekiden post while I was missing.
                What’s the book?
                Getting glued to the full Japan TV coverage of the annual Fukuoka Marathon

that Frank Shorter won four times in a row (1971-1974) helped get me interested

in doing my own first one upon returning to the States in 1977. 
                The similar complete coverage of five runners each running their 20K+/- legs in an hour-or-so in the annual college eki-den relay from mile zero in Tokyo along the historic Tokaido Road up to Hakone Pass at mile 60 and down to the finish at Lake Ashiko (mile 69) on January 2 and back the next day with different teammates was an annual fixation too, . . . and still is today whenever I’m lucky enough to be in Japan over the new year.  Never realized the steepness of the final ascent, though (2,500' in eight-or-so miles!), until doing the same in one of the All-Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club’s Hakone ascent marathons in February and the descent route a couple of years later in October.  Took us more than twice as long for our 42.2K/26.2 miles than they take for their nearly three marathon distances.

Hope you and henrun and others can go over to hook up with one of their weekly marathons sometime as I think mikemp’s still doing during his current sojourn over there.  Note: no requirement to run the full distance as many just do 5-10K, half, or whatever they want.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Nice to see some old and new posters!

Tet - wish all those others would come back to RA!

I read that cougar article - I guess you should run if you have a way out, but only if it attacks and you have a way out.  I certainly didn't, she was in between me and the patio door.  Instead of just standing still, yelling and waving your arms is recommended (which I did), anything to convince the cougar you are more dangerous than it.  What beautiful eyes and face she had though....  When I think about if I had been facing a different direction in the hot tub, how she would have come within a foot of my head - I get kind of a PTSD reaction.... at that close range, if I had startled her, wouldn't she have swiped at me in self-defense?  With only a bathing suit on, it could have been a bloody mess. I dunno, I need to stop replaying these scenerios in my head!

Steve - that was a great link to the DIY get rid of raccoons!  I am definitely going to do the ammonia thing.  Thanks so much!

Went out last night to a dinner theatre/circus/trapeze thingy with MBE.  It was a lot of fun.

Yesterday I ran 3 miles, after taking 4 days off from my streak.  The run was terrible!  Although it was 51 F and I was in shorts!  I took a lot of walk breaks and my HR seemed high.  Later that night I also felt "off" and weak, so maybe it's a mild virus.  Feeling better today.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

mrrun

Japan running
                    marj - thanks for mentioning your Japan ekiden post while I was missing.
                    What’s the book?

Adharanand Finn, "The Way of the Runner"  He also wrote a book on Kenyan runners which I haven't read

Dark Horse? Keep going and someone will be conjuring up earthrunner. Aah, for the good old days of the CoolRunning Boomers...

I am once and for all going to give up the really bad habit of not admitting that something is too heavy for me to pick up!! So that's why I've had a very stiff back for a couple days and decided against my scheduled run today. I did go out to the park for the 10AM meetup time, but joined the "walking geezers" group instead. It took a lot longer to do the 6-mile loop, but at least there was plenty of time for good conversation followed by lunch afterwards.

With any luck I'll be running by this weekend.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Enke  your bonked run could have been due to nerves. Be good to yourself.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Marathon Maniac #957

My day started with a call from the credit card company regarding suspicious activity. "No, we haven't bought thousands of dollars of home goods in France or Germany..."  Grrrrr.   I'm amazed at how often this happens.  We seem to get hit every year or two.

Same here - very frustrating.  It happened again right before Christmas.  I got a letter later from swimmingoutlet.com that their database had been compromised, so that may have been the source this time.

Bertha - nice workout!

5.3 miles for me this morning on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

spinach

I ran the Hump Day store run last night.  Just an easy 5k with a bunch of runners from the area. I brought my dog along and he had a good time running with everyone, and probably more fun, seeing other people.  He is a good runner. No running today, I have needed several days off each week for the last many years.  My teaching schedule has me off from running on Tuesdays and Thursday, and I will be running indoors MWF mornings. Then I will have to get ready to teach PDEs and Fourier series.

catwhoorg

Labrat

6 easy paced at lunch, definitely unseasonably warm today and the humidity is rising.

Supposed to be some spectacular storms blowing through tonight. Basement will be prepared in case we have to shelter.

Have to take my car to get emissions recheck (well check the new gas cap anyway) straight after work, then it will be home to get ready for the fun weather.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Head Procrastinator

Just a drive by hello. Find it hard to keep up here. Hi everyone and welcome new folks.

Running more the last 1.5 weeks then the previous.

I think Twocat is buried under a mound of eggs. Or so his FB post would make one think.

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats