Masters Running

December 1 Rundaily (Read 37 times)

bioguy

SMH at some of yesterday's discussions...In case you need a recap:

Holly is showing off her bandaged foot at work. Sadly, there is some family Xmas list chaos as well.

Jay awoke at 3:30 am and got in a 5.8 mile workout.

Dave took on a new machine at PF, the Matrix, and did 1.93 miles. But did you choose the red pill or the green one?

JLynne rotated through the treadmill, rower, and weights at the Y. Good luck getting a fridge. I just ordered one from Home Depot for our beach house and was told 12/28 delivery. We’ll see.

Moebo ran three to finish November over 100 miles, Well Done!

Twocat- sorry to hear of DW’s aunt’s passing.

Doug rode 15.1 on the trainer.

Karen finished November with 7.5 miles. I love your clothing statement. I think many of the kids at school must look at themselves before leaving home and thinking “Damn I look great.” Sadly, I see the girls with waaaay too much eye makeup on or cheap costume jewelry (think giant hoop earrings) or ones that think soaking themselves in body spray is attractive. Thankfully, the saggy pants on boys seems to be a bit passe.

Old fuddy duddy Leslie ran 4.2 with help repeats.

Tet got in the hillside circuit amid a bunch of domestic chores.

Wildchild ran 9.4 and finished November with 157 miles.

Denise power walked 5 miles and did some core work.

Surly Bill chimed in (still typing one handed?) to discuss the topic of the day, inappropriate clothing.

Quick admits to having 2" inseam running shorts, but we’ll never see them.

BTY- 30 miles of swimming in one month- Wow!!

Evanflein got in a run and finishes November with 201.4 miles.

Steve got in a short run.

I rode the Peloton for 45 minutes then used a workout for runners from an app mentioned on the NYT called GetSet. It was free and has sports specific exercises for every type of activity. i really liked it. I awoke with a start from a deep sleep having a nightmare about the next lab I'm supposed to do with my AP kids. Sigh.

Another quote on aging that resonated with me, "Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young."
    – Henry Ford

Enjoy this first day of December.

Dave59

Thanks for the nice recap BioGuy.

I remember the days where 2 inch inseam shorts were popular. I don't think I ever had any that short though.

3.31 miles this morning around the neighborhood. 29º and a sliver of a moon peeking out in-between breaks in the clouds.

Guess what day it is.

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Thanks again for the start 'n recap, Bioguy. I'm glad you had a good Peleton ride. I'll have to look up GetSet. Nightmares are never fun - especially those that are work-related. I agree with Mr. Ford.

Good run, Dave. I saw that same sliver 'o moon this morning, poking through clouds here as well.

I tried not to picture people in the clothes that were described yesterday. Thankfully, I was successful.

The Morgan James concert last night was great: She has an amazing voice, and comes across as a very real and open person. Her back-up band was also terrific. The only downside was that i got to bed 90 minutes later than usual. So I slept 30 minutes later this morning and then got out for 3.74 RW miles to start my day and the month.

Have a greta palindrome Wednesday (good grief...) (12.1.21)

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I have a picture (well hidden ) of my volleyball team of the early 80's in the short shorts of that era.  I do not miss them.  The shorts that is.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Good morning guys.  Busy place here already!  Thanks for the start and recap bioguy.  Sorry about the nightmare.  One of my favorite quotes which, was attributed to Eleanore Roosevelt but some people say it's not hers, is "do one thing every day that scares you."  At my age, that's pretty much everything!

Gee Dave - it's warmer here than where you are this morning.  Nice run!

I'm glad you enjoyed the concert Jay.  What IS a normal bedtime for you?

Kevin - your post is useless to me without that picture!

I've got one of the "stories" about not finding a bathroom in a timely manner.  The bad thing is I was on a trail and not far enough off of it.  I got "caught with my pants down" by another runner 

It was 30 degrees here this morning so I thought I'd be brave and venture outside.  The first 3 miles out were awesome.  Clear roads for the most part and not much breeze.  Then, I turned south to come back home.  The winds picked up and all of a sudden I was getting pelted with freezing ice/snow.  Lovely.  6.1 miles in all, with the last few slower because of the increasing number of slippery spots.

Bioguy - we did find a fridge.  In stock.  It took 3 stores but we found what we were looking for.  The bad news is they can't deliver it until December 15.  Oh well.  No food so it looks like we'll be eating out a lot the next two weeks!

Another stint in Candy Land today.  Have a great day people.

bioguy

Regarding short shorts- go back and look at basketball players from the 70s and 80's.

And, google images of bad bike shorts! Yikes!

I thought running shorts used to be shorter, although short ones are still very available for women.  Here's 1983 when I was 3rd overall female at Cowtown, sulked for a week because I missed my PR by about 25 seconds (never to achieve that time again), and generally did not have things in perspective!  My first corporate team!

No photo description available.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Quickadder

Guess what day it is.

Have a greta palindrome Tuesday (12.1.21)

Perhaps it is palindrome Hump Day? Anyone got a pic of a camel that looks the same from both ends?

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

BTY

I used to have a boss that looked the same from both ends.

Starting off the month in a contemplative state.  So much to think about, training wise.  What is important, what is imperative, what is nice but can be sacrificed in consideration of things of greater importance....learning new things about myself.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I've had a couple of bosses that acted the same from both ends.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

Regarding short shorts- go back and look at basketball players from the 70s and 80's.

And, google images of bad bike shorts! Yikes!

Basketball went from short shorts to the current knee length skirt-like things they wear now.  I don't know which one is better or worse.

(Regarding my gym attire comment yesterday... the clothes themselves weren't that bad, but they weren't designed for bending and stretching in front of strangers. imho)

There are a couple guys my age in the club that still wear the same shorts (and by "same" I mean the actual pair) that they wore 30 years ago. I sometimes make comments like "showing a lot of leg", but am ignored. I'll also admit to sometimes feeling self-conscious when by myself and wearing my biking kit into places like stores and restaurants where everyone else is in normal clothing (regardless of the fact that I look fabulous in it ).

KSA has legs!

My old midweight winter gloves were shedding so I tossed them the other day and wore a pair that I've had sitting around for a while. They're sold as "touch screen friendly" and I was able to operate the screen in my car without taking the gloves off, but the way they achieved that was by not putting insulation in the tips of the forefingers. So with my Reynaud's condition, by the time I finished my Meals on Wheels route with getting in and out of the car, it took another hour for the feeling to return to those fingertips. Guess I'll be looking for another pair soon.

In case nobody figured it out, yesterday's school shooting was just a few miles from me and in fact my first house was in the Oxford area. The only surprise about this is that nobody seemed particularly shocked, which is a statement in itself. It'll never stop unless we get rid of the guns, and since we're never going to do that, what more is there to say? I'm really glad that our DS made it through the system before all the violence as well as social media issues really began. It was hard enough getting him through those years as it was.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Thanks for the start, Bio.  Nightmares suck.  A few years ago I was on a medication that gave me horrific nightmares.  It took me about a week to figure out it was the medication.

Evidently, I need help with my hill repeats.  I agree. 

Tet - What the heck happened to your  mouth??

Some notable posts:

Spent lots of time at Wreck Beach (nudist beach) . . .

Awesome beach w. . . took a while before Dave whispered to me, "Murr...there's nothing but guys around here".

That's when I found out gay guys had a derogatory name for us 'normal' people when one fellow jumped up on a log, pointed up the beach to the right and yelled, "Breeders! They're all breeders!"

Good memories, well maybe not all good...the volleyball games I could definitely forget seeing.

and believe me you don't want to be the over 30 guy standing there in a short speedo when the college-bound state caliber HS guys are wearing the same suits after their workouts.

I used to have a boss that looked the same from both ends.

I've had a couple of bosses that acted the same from both ends.

For the Record: Leggings are fine if one is actually exercising. Speedos - No.  Just no.

45 min of core/ST this a.m.  The moon looked really cool.  You could see the whole thing, but only the bottom sliver was lit up.  Looked like it could be plucked right from the sky.

Picked up two terrified kitties yesterday.  Helping them get adjusted is going to take time.  Lots of time.  I found a hidey-hole I had to plug up this morning.  The smaller, less socialized one won't come out of the carrier, at least not when we're in the room.  I slowly reached in to try to pet him and got a solid hiss and almost a clawed whack on the hand.  I need to do some more reading about how to help him adjust.  The other one I was able to capture 2x and pick up, but he wasn't happy about it.  He also let me scratch his head while he was backed into a corner.  He's going to be the easiest to deal with, once things settle down.  When I left for work this morning, they were both crammed into the small carrier I borrowed from a co-worker.  Hopefully, she doesn't need to back any time soon.

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Okay, so I had to Google "Bad Bike Shorts."  Oh my!

Booty-lifting leggings, that is it!  Those are darn near obscene, and yet the young girls (and some not-so-young) wear them as if they are regular clothes.  Frankly, I think most bikinis are more modest....

My stoopid foot hurts a lot.  Yesterday it was all I could do to get home from work, take a pain pill, and put my foot up.  Today I brought the cooler that plugs in and circulates ice water around the foot under the bandage to work and the other paralegal was kind enough to bring it in from my car, and that helps some.  Tylenol and Ibu alternating at 3 hour intervals is just not enough.  Carpola.

Oh well, enough whining.....next week should be better.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

bioguy

Okay, so I had to Google "Bad Bike Shorts."  Oh my!

Can't unsee that, can you?