Masters Running

Monday, June 2nd Daily (Read 473 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Vista, thanks for the thoughtful post! I like the fact that our running family here is so diverse, from seasoned speedy folks to newbies, and we are all so supportive of each other. I don't have the genes to be speedy, nor the required determination. But I love reading RRs from the fast folks here! I love running without a plan or a schedule, but I also have to admit I'm competitive with myself, and I like reaching new weekly and monthly mileage PRs. I don't race much, as I like to just run for fun, but I've finally signed up for a half marathon, just to try it out. I'm not quite sure about my motivation for signing up - it's probably due in large part to the folks on this site that make it sound so easy! Thanks for all of your inspiration! Rest day today, even though I really want to go out and run. I think I'll go for a hike in the local state park instead. On the job front, the company I interviewed with a couple of weeks ago asked me for references, so hopefully that means I'm still in the running. It's nice to have free time when the weather's so nice, but I'm also really hoping this job comes through!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Renee the dog

I'm glad twocat added that, because there is danger on long runs in the heat when you lose salts, then load up on more water. You can suffer from hyponatremia.
      Which has always made me wonder if in the summer I should have my husband meet me at the halfway point in my run with a margarita. Clowning around With salt, naturally. Just kidding! TMI: I can smell and taste the difference on myself when I'm losing more salts. Does anyone else notice that? To me that's almost the "too late" point, as I'll feel it later-- kind of sick overall. In the summer, I try to always carry a Clif shot blok with me as I find they agree with my system and bridge me 'till I get home and can get some fruit and all back in me, along with the fluids. Realize I don't really run long, only up to 10 mi. I'm not running until this evening with the babysitter. Planning on 5 mi. Doing my "crosstraining" of cleaning up the house and doing laundry presently.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

On the job front, the company I interviewed with a couple of weeks ago asked me for references, so hopefully that means I'm still in the running. It's nice to have free time when the weather's so nice, but I'm also really hoping this job comes through!
        Carolyn.....I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner...but if you want me to help you find a job, I can try. I am a headhunter and don't mind seeing if I can give you a hand. The cost is right since I do it for you for free. Email me if you are interested........vista129@yahoo.com Joey
        Vista

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Buenos morning master boomers. No computer access so tet’s letting me use his access while I'm in Seattle meetings. Thank you very much tet. don't tell SR I said this but you are one of the most wonderful, kind, sharing and handsome boomers I have ever met. Big grin Had a joyous circuit of Green Lake in Seattle with my dear Seattle friend who ran around Seward Park with me in my first Seattle Marathon last November with so many local and out-of-town master boomers at the annual SM reunion with them. Especially after all my solo running back on the other side of the mountains, what a running mecca the Green Lake perimeter paths are almost like being in a big running event but with everyone seeming to be laughing and chatting and greeting each other. As if things couldn’t get any better, DH/DS topped off DS’s Japan orientation weekend and saw Brazil win their hockey game against Canada and I then got ready for two days of meetings with enke, divechief, and tet at the Ipenema Restaurant and Flamingo and Belly Dancing Lounge with the backdrop of a huge HD screening of the Mardis Gras that dive and tet seemed to like Smile while the Brazilian staff brought round after round of libatio.., I mean delectables for our dining pleasure. What an inspiration Mr. Divechief is coming off six months of patient rehabilitation to focus on the Seafair Half Marathon at the end of the month and then hoping he can keep up with arf in the months that follow. He did the same six months, if not more, rehabilitation thing three years so we hope this is the last time. In the meantime arf was in another local marathon up in her northland as a mere 26.2 mile training run for beloved ultras. I hope I’m not smiling too much during my meetings thinking of such a fun weekend. Mariposai ps - I found out that getting to think like hillbilly over on the other side of the mountains gets cured real fast with a night on the town with the Seattle boomers.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

you're welcome mari. thank you very much vista (there's another slow guy in the Marathon Maniacs newsletter who posts hilarious views from the back-of-the-back for us self-proclaimed "mini-maniacs.")
            Hi everyone.The tortoise and the hare BOTH FINISH THE RACE.
            ps mari - even though it was mostly just wings, I still liked that butterfly costume from the Rio parade video they were showing. Big grin

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

francesca - mari's w/o computer access and but divechief might be able to format the 100K photos of you at the Garcia ascent, coming down by the turn-around snow patches, and the rickety bridge at the finish. Otherwise, if someone else can do the for 'em, I'll e-mail so you can post your rr by tonight. ps - you're really something. bravissimo dear dea francesca.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

any format savvy boomers, please e-mail me at jon at runningbarefoot dot org for francesca's photos. thnax.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Carolyn, good luck with the job! My running partner and I went for an easy 5.2-mile run this morning. It seemed VERY easy since I took the weekend off! Even with all the hills we did. After running, we headed for our YMCA class. The regular instuctor was gone, and the sub was a killer! She worked us very hard. My calves and abs are going to be hurting tomorrow. I'm going to do a shorter long run this week - probably 9 miles or so, depending on what my friend needs to do. My legs did fine after my long run last week, but my toes are giving me problems - blisters and puffiness under one toenail. I put antibiotic cream and a bandaid on it. I should probably look at it but I'm afraid of what I will find! It would be a shame for TOES to sideline me!
                  evanflein

Sounds like Mariposai is having a great time! Best wishes to Divechief as he wraps up this rehab... [dive, was that still the foot issue from December??] Good thoughts on running in H&H conditions. Something I get virtually NO experience with in training, so I try to never enter races where there will be the two together. Sunday's run for me saw temps of 70 or 71, and that felt warm. But our humidity here is very low so it's really not bad at all. Today will get up to 75, and the boys have soccer camp all day. Got the warnings to be sure to drink water and find shade at noon... we're really heat wimps up here! Cool Nonoruns, I sure hope Renee is getting some running. Must be hard for a dog to go from being out regularly to all of a sudden not run. Same with Tory when Steve travels. Hope they get some other sort of activity. 'Ribs, I don't know if I'd be smart enough to stop. When I get going, if it feels good and I'm not on a definite out-and-back route (where the run has an "end" by design), I'd probably keep going. I know I've done that on regular training runs, pushed my turnaround point back so the whole run is longer. Probably why I run myself into the ground every now and then. It sure is nice outside... and I'm stuck at work! Got the garden almost all done, and those un-done parts are going to nag at me all day... No run today, gotta finish that garden!!
                      I want to thank people for the kind words in response to my daughter's marathon report. It meant a lot to me and to her. Vista, with all the great starts you give us, today's was one of the best. You were talking about most of us. WRFB, nice 5K on Sat. Steve, nice dog pictures. When I was a kid, Buster Brown shoes had a sticker in the heel with a picture of Buster Brown and his dog (Tige ?). If my memory serves me right, Tige looked a bit like your new dog. CNY and Twocat, congrats on your half and so neat you could get together. stumpy, happy belated anniversary. tet, way to go on those 42 miles. spareribs, I remember "Tan Shoes With Pink Shoelaces" and " A big panama with a purple hat band." wildchild, it sounds like you're still in the running for that job. Nice long runs for breger, Tramps, Peter, ribs, Holly, Evan, Sue (with husband), and hopeful. This morning it sure was pleasant, about 50 at the start and 60 at the end and practically calm. I got in 7 miles in about 1:06:30 for a 9:29 pace. I even had negative splits. A good day and good runs for all. TomS

Marathon Maniac #3309

'Ribs, I don't know if I'd be smart enough to stop. When I get going, if it feels good and I'm not on a definite out-and-back route (where the run has an "end" by design), I'd probably keep going. I know I've done that on regular training runs, pushed my turnaround point back so the whole run is longer. Probably why I run myself into the ground every now and then.
                        Funny Erika, I was thinking the exact same thing about myself....if I feel good, I'm going on. And probably why "I run myself into the ground every now and then". Oh, to have the patience of others Roll eyes Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Hi all. I've been reading for awhile, but I couldn't help posting after vista's wonderful opening post! You really have a way with words, vista. I know that I get a little concerned when I'm not progressing like I think I should be, but then remember why I'm doing this in the first place. Luckily it's for the pure enjoyment of running. If it was for the speed, I'd be in trouble. Smile Did 8 miles this morning. Completely peaceful, listening to everything waking up, smelling the flowers and freshly mowed grass. Perfect!

Maniac 505

8 easy peasy miles for me yesterday, my longest run since December. feeling greta, elliptical and gym today, got to try to work off some of that food from last night really fun dinner with Mari, and Enke last night, unfortunately Tet had to show up too. Wink Erika, yeah I have been off because of this stupid foot, Bursitis in the heel. seems to be cured now, I just need to slowly build my endurance back up, I will give it a couple months to get back in marathon shape/ Shocked Dave

King of PhotoShop

don't tell SR I said this but you are one of the most wonderful, kind, sharing and handsome boomers I have ever met. Big grin
                              That's it! Packing a gun now and calling American Airlines! There's just so much a man can take! Spareribs
                                Wow, Vista, I loved your opening post. "back of the pack". Well, I've been trying very hard to escape the back of the pack ever since the announcer at a 10K I did last year (which had a loop around to the starting area early in the race), said through his loudspeaker "and here comes the back half of the pack", which at the time completely demoralized me, made me say to myself, I'm not a runner, I'm a fake. But the way you said it Vista, if it wasn't for me, and those other back of the packers, those top 10% runners would only be in the top 20% percent, and wow, what a boost we give them! I had a wonderful authentic Brazilian Grill dinner last night with the bouyant butterfly princess Mariposai, the tenacious Divechief and the ever charming Ironman Tetsujin, who was so disappointed in his ONLY 42 miles run the day before. He showed no hobbling, limping or other signs of running that far the day before. I ate more meat than I do in a fortnight and was 3 pounds heavier this morning! Awesome! I also ran a bit over the weekend. 2 miles on Saturday from our campsite in Deception Pass. I had my first wipeout!! It was actually pretty fun! I had just started out and I tripped and found myself stumbling down a hill like an out of control freight train and plowed into the soft mulch (thank goodness no rocks on that part) using my hands as a break and came out of the experience with only a tiny scrape on my knee. Smile Then 6.33 miles on Sunday about 4pm, at about 10:04 pace. Then 4.19 miles today, about 10:20 pace.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."