Masters Running

Sunny Sunday Daily Sept 28 (Read 592 times)

The Jogger

Morning Gang Nice and sunny here but not for long, they say...... Some brick training this morning after yesterdays hilly 11 8m on the bike fastest yet on this course (I've done it 3 times) with the lowest AHR and a slow 3m jog with MrsRoy and Woody, legs felt it on that one. Anyway Bike 8m 32:58 @ 14.6mph AHR 146 Jog: 3m 35:52 @ 11:57 pace AHR 138 62% Good runs All Roy
      Good morning Roy - and everyone after us! Today I did the run I couldn't quite do last week This week it was perfect. 15 miles in 2:14 (8:56 min/mile avg) where last Sunday I could only manage 14.3 in 2:15. After the 1st 2 warm up miles every mile was between 8:45 and 8:55 except mile 10 where I slipped a little to 9:05. I have a couple of spots where I usually sag a bit - 4.5 and 10 - today it was at 10 as expected. Had a GU and got back on track. I'm REALLY glad I took a rest day yesterday. I probably would have opened my mouth and aggravated a few people. Actually it wasn't a rest day. I have to do a lot to help DW out with her right foot in a cast. We went to the DMV and got a temporary Disabled Parking Pass. Then we went to Super Wal-Mart and of all 20 or so of their Parking rows, every one of the handicapped spots were taken. Then we went to Olive Garden for dinner to eat a couple of "Endless Pasta Bowls" and again, all the spots were filled. Only in South Florida can you not find an open Handicapped spot. Sigh. Nurse Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks for the start off Roy, and nice brick. Brings back memories on the countless 100's of bricks I have done over the years getting ready for Triathlons...loved um. Very nice run there Bill. Always nice to see improvement. I am following your new plan with interest. Didn't post my run yesterday, sort of for the same reason Bill alluded to. 13 miles - overall pace 8:20. With 8 miles close to MP at 7:45 pace. Suppose to be 7:55 pace right now per Ribs, but my Garmin was acting kinda wacky during my run. Out for a easy 7 miler in a few. Have a great Sunday everyone. Did I miss Mary's 20 or 22 miler? Hope it when well. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

DoppleBock

Early morning - Wife had to leave by 7:25, so I had to be up by 4:20 to get 20 in - Mid 50s - decent morning for a long one. Progressive 20 miler for a hair under 2:26 Have a good one!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DickyG

Regarding which baseball game to televise yesterday. Obviously, there was a good reason why they chose to show the Cubs-Brewers game instead of the Sox-Yanks (which, as it turned out was rained out anyway). Hypothetical question: Desptite the fact that the Sox-Yanks game meant zippo in the standings, if it had not been rained out and the network execs had chosen to show it anyway...and both teams played their starters...would it have drawn higher ratings than the game televised? Evryday:
            Fixin' to (that how we say "I'm going to" in Oklahoma) watch some football. I think OU is ranked #2...I don't know who they play. OSU (of the Oklahoma variety) is playing tonite also. Won't be on TV, but I'll listen to it on the radio. They are playing Troy. From what I understand, Troy is a pretty good team and in the top 20. Can anyone help me with where Troy is?
            Yep...my wife, who lived many years in Alabama, also says "I'm fixin' to go to the store..." And, btw, Troy (formerly Troy State) is also in Alabama. Bill:
            Today I did the run I couldn't quite do last week This week it was perfect. 15 miles in 2:14 (8:56 min/mile avg) where last Sunday I could only manage 14.3 in 2:15.
            Nice effort, Bill..I assume the H&H were lousy as usual? Your story about not being able to find a handicapped parking space reminds me of an old Seinfeld episode. Got in 4 miles yesterday in the rain...I know what Peter meant when he said he weighed more when he finished. That's 5 runs this week...that's enough. Golf course is probably still too wet so I guess it's football & racin' this afternoon. DickyG
              I am about to head out to a local 5K race. But figured I would clarify what a box of brussel sprouts comes to for those that buy by the pound. I just looked at one and it is 10 ounces. Back later.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hill Runner

Good morning all, I'm recovering from an outdoor BBQ last evening..lots of food, deserts and beer.... Smile I tried to be good so I could run this morning. 18.80 miles of hills @ 9:19 pace (151 AHR). It was so cloudy,foggy, & dark when I started at 6:00AM that I literally couldn't see the ground....I was running with peripheral vision for almost an hour. I can't wait until daylight savings time ends... Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

10.04 miles in high humidity, but no rain. I tried to push too hard (9:57 pace) - it's time to start conserving my energy for Portland next Sunday. We're starting to get excited - and a little nervous. Lots of preparations today to get ready to travel on Thursday. There will be very little time after work next week to do anything.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

.....I am constantly amazed at the Great Runs over here..........You Guys are ANIMALS....... ========= .......but I digress..... ........55min HH run.........fog was so thick I couldn't see 2-blocks ahead,,,,,,,kinda cool FOG DRIVING TIP-- ...this works equally well in a squall in Gulf Shores Alabama or Signal Mountain Fog in Chattanooga,,,,, .......TURN ON YOUR EMERGENCY FLASHERS....... ............gives the car behind you plenty of warning you're there..... END OF FOG DRIVING TIP .......hit Second Wind a couple of time during the Run..........A Mystic Experience....... ...................good running guys................Wishing You A Mystic Experience Today.... ...........................Off to my 2nd Church.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Yes, very humid -- wet ground but no rain on our heads. 67°F and 98% humidity. Not FL weather, but I'm ready to be done with this. Luckily it was only a 12 miler. 12.25 miles, 1:43, 8:27/mi, AHR 151 I gotta eat -- I'm starving!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Totally humid here.. Yesterday I was doing alot of icing and heat cycles, not because my leg was sore but to try to improve it for today's 20 miler. One thing I found that made a difference yesterday is soleus strengthening by heel raises. I had done these many times before with so-so success. But yesterday I read a little detail I had missed. You do the heel raises with your knee bent alot, like close to 90 degrees, so the soleus does the work and not the gastronemius. I did that and the sore spot stopped being sore. This morning the warm-up run was still gimpy but not as gimpy or sore. After 3 miles with Tory at like 10:30 pace, I dropped him off and ran 17 miles with the leg getting better and then it was about the same as my right (good) leg. I had more trouble with the 67F, 66F dewpoint in fog than the leg. It was really drippy out there today. So I felt great at mile 14 and withered the last 6 but 5 of those were sub 9 pace. Overall 20 miles in 3:09:25 (9:28 pace). Now everything aches.. the good kind of "I just got a good workout" aches. So if we keep progressing at least I can start and finish the Raleigh Marathon.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

10 miles - progressive - 1:14:47 (7:29) - Heavy rain outside as Hurricane Kyle passes to our east, so I finally took it inside to the dreaded treadmill! YUK, this is the first indoor run of the season...many more to follow I am afraid. Sad Oh well, better than not being able to run at all I guess. 8:05 - 7:50 - 7:44 - 7:38 - 7:31 - 7:25 - 7:14 - 6:57 - 6:16 - 8:07 (cool down)
                          dg.

morning everyone! morning Roy. fastest yet + lowest ahr! wtg. & thanks... Byll, that's great. DickyG, I would like to borrow your method of keeping time in my head. brilliant. good luck today Twocat! and now that you reminded me... another brussel sprout fan stepping out into the sunlight. Smile. TW, thanks for the tip. are you better yet? must be... 2 2nd winds!! Dopple Bock, nice fast early run! Enke, dare I ask about your foot? (dare you answer???) Very excited for the beers! Perch, very good news about your leg. Bob, your runs always amaze me. I don't usually say it because i can't just keep saying that. Well, I could. My plan today was for 8, with the first 6 slow w/low HR, last 2 at MP. this was suggested by one that knows stuff. except, I don't have a MP. I was a little worried because I've added hills & a little speed lately & have been sore, but everything was ok until at least the 5th mile, & that was the piriformis which somehow I can't take as seriously as hamstrings. Polar is doing very weird things, couldn't really track HR very well. Anyway. I sort of went by the plan, but after the 8 & a brief car plop/water stop, I went out for 2 more easy. 10:10 miles, no idea of HR, (says 209 max. ha) 9:35 average pace, 7:40 max. here are the miles. 10:54 9:40 9:52 9:30 9:44 9:24 8:56 8:50 9:18 9:08. This was my first 10 miler. Big grin. Carolyn says I'm allowed to say that. I'm very happy with this run! Big grin (sorry, had to put in one more)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

22 miles - yesterday!! Big grin Big grin Big grin I cannot believe it!! It was not without an adventure or two also. We drove 1/2 hour away to a rail trail so that we could break it down into mentally acceptable 5.5 mile runs. So off we go 5.5 miles east and it was so enjoyable with plenty of tree cover, cool morning with light fog hanging over the fields and the sun just working through. At mile 5.5 we turn around and I take my first "S" cap. WOW - do I ever love those things. I felt like I was running on someone else's legs the next 5.5 miles - weeeeeee! Get back to my truck to refresh our waters and I cannot find my key .... anywhere! Luckily I had my phone on me, so I called MrHopeful and he agreed to drive over and hide a key for me. Also, luckily, I had $3 stashed in my water bottle holder so we made a 1 mile detour to a gas station for 2 bottles of water - popped another "S" cap and off we go - up the hill trying to find the rail trial again. We finally find it and work our way back to the truck. After our 3 mile detour we were happy to find a key in the gas cap and refilled our water bottles. Off we go again to the west for (2) 3.75 mile sections. This seems quite doable - ha! This section is SO boring and the sun in in full force. At mile 18 I start take a walk break, again at 19 and again at 20 .... then "she" says NO more walk breaks.... we are going to get these two done and go have a beer! OKAY! Who am I to argue? 22 miles - 10:38 pace (wowzer!) and 167 avg. HR I never got a headache, never took a nap and felt good all day and still today. Oh, we also got pedicures. Big grin I LOVE the "S" caps and I LOVE my running buddy and I LOVE all of you guys too!! Today was a recovery 5 mile run. 10:47 avg. pace - 151 avg. HR Overcast and cool. Happy Sunday!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

mainerunnah dude I feel for you! Other than a three car pileup I cannot fathom a worse fate than a TM run! They are just awful! Worse yet, mine are coming soon as well. Cry breger1 congratulations on making up last week's run. biketm what do ribs know anyway? They typically just sit on a plate with barbecue sauce waiting to be eaten. Your telling me you are taking advice from them? Big grin If you feel fine it was nice run at a good pace in my view. Dopple Bock great long run. You must have arrived on the forum while I have been more or less AWOL. Welcome. DickyG nice 4. Once the Yanks were out of it I more or less wrote off the season. Go Giants! Smile Peter NC oh tough day! Great running. You might have had some sympathy about the hills but I just love NC barbeque! This past week I got to go to a SC barbecue joint. That stuff is good too! I just wish this stuff was available up here. Sigh, I have a week in NC in November so all is not lost for me! predawnrunner nice double digit run this morning. WillRunForBeer same to you on the double digit run. Now I hope you bit your tongue wishing for winter's arrival! Angry perchcreek very nice 20 miler! I never knew you were supposed to have your knees bent so much for those heel raises you wrote about. I do them with a modest kneel bend I will have to try increasing the angle. dg. your first double digit run! Congratulations! Wahoo! Way to go! hopeful4ever great job on yesterday's 22 and today's 5. I am sure you are going to smoke your marathon! Glad to hear the S-caps work so well for you. I too find that electrolyte supplements during a really long run help. Today I ran the Bigelow Tea Community Challenge 5K. The heiress of the Bigelow Tea company puts it on. This thing literally has a bigger expo than some marathons! The food? You would think everybody just ran a marathon as well. You name it they basically have it. Ices, pizza, breads, muffins, bananas, oranges, coffee, . . . it is simply unbelievable. The goody bag? Heck you get so many things you literally would pay more in the store for the stuff than the $25 race day (tax deductible!) registration fee. What do you get other than a tee shirt you might wonder? Nivea creams of various sorts. Not the sample sizes either. The big jars and tubes you might buy at the store. Then there are various bars, cereals, and as you might guess bags of tea galore! The goody bag itself is not the typical plastic grocery style bag either. Instead it is some sort of durable cloth. Heck I might turn green and use it at the store instead of "paper or plastic!" Smile Oh yea, running. Nearly forgot. My Garmin says I finished in 20:06. I had kind of hoped to break 20:00 but such is life. Post race I ran back home to get in another 4 miles. I hope everybody has a good day running.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/