Masters Running

Monday, October 6 Runs and Smiles and Whatever (Read 490 times)

DickyG

The AMA has reported that the financial crisis has extended to cosmetic surgery as more and more potential patients have cancelled or postponed plans for procedures such as face lifts, breast augmentation, liposuction, and tummy tucks. Man...talk about your sagging economy... As usual, some top runs Sunday. Since I don't do them anymore (actually, come to think of it, I never did them), you people are my heroes. Peter, Tramps (cheating or no cheating, that's more miles than I do in a week), Carolyn (actually a Saturday run, right?), Walt, Dave59, NoNo, Tammy...and, of course, our great racers. Carolyn: Great pic! Where I live, too often the leaves just drop off the trees while still green...lack of rain. You have to go up to the mountains or on the Blue Ridge Parkway to see some great color like that. Holly: Very impressive...compare your run to where you were 2 months ago. Deb:
    DickyG, I'm very wiped out right now. I need my post run strategy.
    Your post run strategy should be feet up, cold one in hand, and a lot of bragging...like Holly, compare your 9+ miles to where you were a couple months ago. Tet: Great race for you...barefoot again? Twocat: OK...fuggedaboutit..rotten weather, especially unexpected, is never good...and as you mentioned, NYC is your real goal...this race was secondary at best.
    What would be bad is if you were a Cubs fan!
    Worse...I'm a Mets and Yankees fan! Kev: Nice going on 1000 miles...for 3 days/week, that's great. Maine: Wow! With the wonderful training you've been putting in, you couldn't miss...I'll check out your RR (and the others) later today. Starting to see some improvement in my own running...5.2 miles this morning in 46:46 (8:59)..I know it rounds up to 9:00 but I'm still calling it 8:59...best I've run this course in about 2 years although I still had to walk 6 times. DickyG
    Mariposai

Great race and picture mainerunner. PDR and WRFW, I hope you enjoy your hike today. Holly, glad to see that your running is coming so well. As for me, a 2 eze recovery miles after my Portland marathon yesterday. I will work on my RR a bit later. But for now I can tell you that I got the PR I was looking for (both course and marathon). Finish time was 4:23:16. Great pictures Carolyn! Enkie, we missed you at the party in Portland.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Starting to see some improvement in my own running...5.2 miles this morning in 46:46 (8:59)..I know it rounds up to 9:00 but I'm still calling it 8:59...best I've run this course in about 2 years although I still had to walk 6 times.
        You walked 6 times, and yet look how fast your ave pace was. Your running pace must be pretty darn fast. Is your first mile this fast? Or do you start out slow (like me) and then gently speed up? It would be interesting to see your mile splits. ETA - Mariposai - great job!! Looking forward to your report!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Mari, way to go on the PR marathon! You go girl! Can't wait for the RR... DickyG, loved the sagging economy line. Big grin njjoe posted this great picture over on the 40's and above thread. I just had to share:

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

wildchild...LOL!! Mariposai, I missed being there too! And way to go on a PR!! time to be thankful. even though I didn't get a PR yesterday (Twocat - that was 2 seconds over my PR, not under...you skimmed didn't you!!) I am thankful that I ran faster till the end, and with less effort than I remember putting forth last year and my foot never complained! I actually feel rather good today. I can tell I didn't give 100%, but I couldn't without the darn side stitch flaring up. I need to work on this thing...maybe stronger abs will help, or more forceful breathing. I'm thinking about a HM in 3 weeks. I'm thinking of going to the gym later for an easy 3. Time to stop thinking and just do it.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Just want to brag on someone else: Franc59 came in 4th out of 38 in her AG at the 10K race yesterday. Her time was 46:57 (7:35 pace!!). Congratulations Francesca!! My time was 56:43 (PR is 56:40).... 26th out of 54. Ok, good enough for me! Tetsujin was 4th in his AG, time of 55:39. Boy I wish I could have hung with him till the end. Carry on...

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

. . . PDR and WRFW, I hope you enjoy your hike today.
                So now he's known as Will Run For Water? Will Run for Whiskey? What happened to our WRFB while in Portland????!!!! Nice racing Mainerunnah!! That's awesome! I can't wait to read more of the marathon reports! Unfortunately, since I'm only working today and tomorrow this week, I can't spend all day reading reports like I usually do after a big race with lots of masters running, but will try to at least skim them all. no run for me today. Legs a bit tight after yesterday's run. I scrolled back through my running log and realized I haven't done a 10+ mile run since June! Sheesh, no wonder I'm sore today. I've been slacking for months!

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks enke. with mainerunnah and mariposai both hughly smashing their marathon PR's, no wonder there's nothing left for the rest of us. Smile Seein' mainie and jura's photos, I can hardly wait for posalina's.Big grin ps - after her first year of ultra'ing, franci's getting even faster in the fun runs too. I bet her sub-47 was a PR too. dickyg - yup, some new pavement helped my bare feet along this year (along with some running along the rubber-painted centerlines). The Salmon Run's barefoot-friendly surfaces are one reason I love it so much. tammy - I think you'll make up for it next week too. <>racephoto/racephoto)>>>
                  I've been slacking for months!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Hi everyone... I'm a newbie to your group. I just started running this summer and ran my first 5k on Sept 26th. Now I'm training to improve my performance and run another 5k on New Year's Eve. I ran 6k on Sat and 4k yesterday. Then today I ran a light jog with the dog... training her to run with me! Thanks, Kathy
                    evanflein

Welcome, Kathybad! Look forward to hearing how you do as you get more into this running thing. Some of us find it's highly addicting... Mariposai! Woohoo! I was watching your progress yesterday and was sure that was a PR time. Big ol' congratulations, and have fun with the Autumn Leaves run this weekend. Hi Gordon! You can give Mariposai a hug for me, too! DickyG... sagging economy... Roll eyes Carolyn, that picture is a riot. Won't let my DH see it though, will just give him ideas... Mainerunnah, that's a smokin' hot PR you snagged! Big ol' congratulations to you. Your training for this race was excellent, it was fun watching you in the 40/40 thread. You don't look a bit proud in that picture. Heh. Deb and Holly, yep, both of you are doing so well. You're both making big strides in getting back the form and distance you had. Deb, nice pace! I've got sort of a compressed week this week since I leave at 6 a.m. on Saturday for St. Louis. I've got tons of work to do around the house, as usual, so that's what tonight will be. Or at least a start. Then I'll run when I can this week, and try to do Saturday's run on Friday... and run long on Sunday before conference sessions start in the later afternoon. Phew! I'm looking forward to December. Don't think I've got any trips planned...

Marathon Maniac #957

Hi everyone... I'm a newbie to your group.
                        Kathy - welcome! Jump right in anywhere.... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey, catching up with y'all--such a busy crew. Back safe and sound, and scored fried clams on Friday, fish on Saturday and a big plate of steamers Sunday. Big grin Tongue Really tired--extra innings and earlyflight--->zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Sleepy woke up briefly to add I too, was LOL at the pumpkins, Carolyn....until I nodded off................................
                          Masters 2000 miles
                          Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Since I'm that gal in the picture with Enke and Jon..whom I thank for the flattering words, I confess I ran the 10K in Issaquah yesterday and indeed it turned out to be a PR ! 46:57 I think it was my first 10K since the same event last year and I managed to run it 33 sec faster while a year older...hopefully my best race is still out there ! I say this every time .....I'm much more consistent at running than posting..and Il have been running pretty much everyday ...I'm signed up for Seattle... I hit the trail this morning before daybreak : 6.5 miles in just under 1 hour. Have a great day everybody!, Francesca
                            wildchild

Carolyn

Kathy, welcome to the group! Another dog runner - yay! Dogs make great running buddies. Where are you from? Aamazing AAmy - I see in your training log that you got yet another 1st in AG in your marathon yesterday! Congrats! Beautiful day here in Colorado - low 60s and sunshine. I went out for a 6.1 mile trail run at lunch at a 10:30 avg pace. Working sure cuts into running time...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

SteveP

Good Morning! I resist the long pants as long as I can, but once the temps drop into the 30’s, I break them out. When I first start having to run in more clothes, I feel so “weighted down” and almost hindered by the extra layers, especially pants. I know it’s mostly in my head, but somehow I feel faster and lighter in bare legs. No run for me today – light x-training instead: push-ups, weighted squats, dead lifts, dumbbell curls, triceps extensions, superman lifts, reverse flies, crunches and wall-sits. This morning DD had Dexter the dog trapped in a corner of the living room and forced into playing dolls with her. I was singing as I packed her lunch and she said, “Mom, can you stop singing? I like your singing, but Dexter wants you to stop.” “Oh,” I said, “Does it hurt his ears?” “No,” she said solemnly, “It makes him angry.” Shocked Shocked
                                First of all, we love your kids. SInce I live further north than you, I get to must wear tights sooner. The kewl thing about all the layers is that I get tear off my stuff while running just like people do in the documentaries I watch comic books I read. How some of those people wear capes under their street cloths is simply amazing. Stumpy77...One thing I did last year was when I got to xxxxx number of miles for the year, it was at the finish line at an way kewl race. For disney: http://www.mapmyrun.com/search?txtLocation=Orlando%2C+FL&txtKeyword=disney&lstSortBy=cs.view_count+desc&lstDistanceMin=1&lstDistanceMax=999&lstRatingMin=1&lstRatingMax=5&lstRouteTypeID=1&btnSearch=SEARCH+%3E JLynne....We have the lions Great photo Mainmarathonrunnahdude Mary, how was your weekend???
                                8 easy miles with T this morning...8:00 pace,saw lots of squirrels on my run yesterday with big fluffy tails...what does that mean? On Saturday I will be driving over 4 hours to run in a 5K...Mariposai is the RD...WOOT!!!
                                It means they're jealous of you meeting Mariposai or they just back back from the dry cleaners. Welcome Kathy!!!!! Good to meet you. I can lift heavy things. There are no dues or fees. There are a few rules. Your first week here, you are responsible for coffee and donuts. Then clean up after we all leave. No smoking. On the weekends, we post in alphabetical order. No one else posts until Aamos does. On election years, which this one is, every one posts in Stevebetical order. Send me an e mail and I'll assign a posoition. If you have any questions requiring sound judgement...ask one of the others. Franc59!!! PRs rock!!!! Sweet. A building across the field caught fire and there were a few explosions. Since it happened just before I got out of work, I'm not sure if any one was hurt. We hope not. Any way, we're had lots of visitors. I still got a run in. 2 miles. I stopped at the library, SIL is the libarian and she left a Batman pillow in the door. So, I get to sleep with Batman tonight. While at the library, she showed me a book she ordered it's from that dude who ran 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days. So, I checked it out. For the last 6 years, I've read the Bible. Lighter reading may be kewl.

SteveP