Masters Running

Tue Aug 26 Runs and Workouts (Read 380 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Butterfly Gal! I meant to tell you a big Way To Go on your tough 20-miler! Also, I think it is wonderful that you are hosting an exchange student. If my DS were going overseas, I could only hope that he would be staying with such a warm and gracious hostess. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

DickyG

Lots of talk about starting school and especially the empty nest syndrome. In our case, we had reverse empty nest syndrome. Fall, 1993...#1 son is beginning his first year at U. Florida. Since first year students couldn't have cars, had to drive him the 600+ miles to Gainesville. Finally got there, got all his stuff in the dorm (one of 3 first-year UF dorms overlooking a small lake...more of a pond..frequented by an alligator who somehow had lost a leg in combat) and got ready to drive home. I told him "have a good year, Mitchell...see you in June". "But dad, what about Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break..that sort of stuff." My reply was: "You weren't listening...see you in June." Denise:
      i went out for a run yesterday afternoon but just didn't have anything in the tank
      Denise dear...if it's any consolation, that describes about 99% of my runs...keep plugging along...you'll get there. Twocat: I'm sure your running log supports this, but your runs the last couple weeks or so are so far ahead of some of your previous efforts, its's astounding. Yeah...I see a 3:20 at New York. Although its been years ago, I've run that marathon and all the spectators and the importance of the race itself will give you an extra boost...plus, not too many hills...just make sure you don't fall off the Verazano Narrows Bridge. Ribs: I also took a pic of my son...it is viewable by all in the post office. Dark Horse: First of all, happy birthday...second, how did you ever learn Latin? Tim:
      but still feel these funky heart beats.
      Be thankful you got one, pal...where's the marathon? Craneium: Missed having you comment during the vball..tell me, has the level of enthusiasm on your team escalated since our gold medal? dg: Remarkable recovery from your recent injuries...back in the game! Major softball news: As mentioned previously, our seniors team finished 7th out of 8 teams in the city league. Double-elimination playoffs started last night..and we knocked off the #2 seeded team in the first round, a team who had thrashed us all 3 times we played them during the reg season. It was pouring rain this morning so I put on an old pair of shoes (vintage 1980 Etonic Streetfighters) and slogged 4 miles in a slow 37:59 (9:30). I got my miles in and a shower at the same time. DickyG
      Mariposai

Thanks Holly. That 20 miler yesterday was really a test for me. I learned a lot yesterday. I learned how to embrace the distance one mile at the time. I found out that I am tougher than I think I am and most importantly, I learned that with Creator's help all things are possible. Our exchange student is already fitting in so well with our family. DH is taking all this week off to be at home with the boys. We are already learning so much about each others faith (he is a Muslim and we are Christians). DH cooked a delicious Turkish meal for us last night. I am looking forward to learning more about Turkish cuisine.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Thanks Holly. That 20 miler yesterday was really a test for me. I learned a lot yesterday. I learned how to embrace the distance one mile at the time. I found out that I am tougher than I think I am and most importantly, I learned that with Creator's help all things are possible.
          Well put, butterfly gal! And a belated congratulations on a major mileage milestone (how's that for alliteration?). Makes me start dreaming again of LD runs...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

holly and ribs - awesome pics of the kiddos -- my youngest starts freshman year of h.s. next week and don't think i'll be allowed a 1st day of school pic..........the 18yr old moves in to his college dorm this weekend, but since he's only one town away i don't think i'll be able to say "see you in June" lol went out for 7 miles this morning figured i'd avg about 10 min miles and did pretty much that -- first 2 were 9:30's then took it down a notch - total time 1:10:40 my heart rate seems to avg pretty high when i run like some others have mentioned -- avg was 168 - yet it comes down very quickly when i'm cooling down so i think that's ok -- when i go to donate blood my pulse is often just passable in the 50's-60's even after working all night i have a question for you early morning runners -- do you eat anything before you head out for your runs? i find i wake up hungry and really need something so today had a small whole wheat bagel with a tiny bit of almond butter with my black coffee of course but around mile 3 i was kind of queasy and did some walking to work it out - any suggestions? happy tuesday -- need to go sneaker shopping with 14 yr old and then head in to my next set of 3 12 hour nights in a row!!

denise

evanflein

Denise those hours you keep at work are killers. You are amazing to get your runs in before and/or after those shifts. As for early morning running... I don't usually do it. If I run in the morning I'll usually have a gulp of water and maybe a banana, but not much. On my way to work this morning I'd gotten about 1/3 mile down the road and saw a very nice looking cow moose and two calves cross the road and go up the power line trail. I admired them briefly, then drove on a bit before stopping hard... NO!! I haven't had moose in the yard all summer! I was NOT going to lose my garden to her now!! So I called DH to tell him to find the plastic sheeting, and went home to cover the garden. They mainly like the carrots and broccoli/cauliflower/cabbage, and I plant those all in proximity so they're easy to cover. It's just a light wrap, might even give the plants a little greenhouse effect with the sunshine today. But moose don't have thumbs so they can't pick it up... and I've found if they can't really see it, they leave it alone. So, hopefully it won't blow off (no breeze so far), and everything will be safe. With the cool temps we've had the garden is several weeks behind schedule and some things (like beans) just aren't going to do anything. But I've got beautiful cauliflower and red cabbage almost ready.... There was no way I was getting first day of school pictures of my boys. But it is cool that they go off to the bus stop together. They do get along so much better now, just as I was sure they would. But oh boy, there were times I didn't think either would survive... I'll run at lunch time today. Might drive to a non-hilly place to start, or just bite the bullet and go from here. Tomorrow is major hill day though... Miles 7-17 of the Equinox Course is the plan. (I'll need a ride back to my car though...)
                i have a question for you early morning runners -- do you eat anything before you head out for your runs?
                All I have before a run is a cup of coffee when I wake up, unless the run is long meaning, I guess 14+. I think the running itself helps suppress the appetite. For those longer runs, I'll have some toast or a bagel with cream cheese, or a muffin, and maybe a banana. I guess I was lucky I never got queasy when running. When I used to play indoor soccer, which is much more like sprinting, I used to have a rule that I didn't eat for 2 hours or so before the game or I would get queasy.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

I don't eat anything before running in the morning. Get dressed, a couple of gulps of water and I'm off. After showering and getting ready for work, then I eat breakfast. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

deez - I am experimenting with the eating early morning. I have found I can eat a bit if I am not leaving for an hour for my run, less time than that and I just drink coffee but take something with me incase I get really hungry mid-run (if I am doing more than 6). I've had too many queasy moments. Today I was up at 5 am but didn't start running till almost 6, so I had a little something. So I was kind of stupid today and did 8 x 0.5 mile intervals. I should have taken an easy day. I could tell right away I just wasn't rested enough to pull these off at my target pace of 7:40 to 7:50. I drove to the HS track but the gate that I slipped thru last time was tightened up (I think they tightened the chain!). Then as I was going back to the car, along jogs an older guy, and he goes to a gate with a lock. I see him fiddling a bit with it and I think "great, maybe the lock doesn't work". So I go over there and the bloke must have had a key!!! Because the lock was definitely secured. I was steaming mad. Angry So I drove to another place and did my intervals on a mostly flat trail loop, which is harder than the nice flat track. 2 mile w/u @ 11:48 8 x 0.5 mile reps with 2 min walk breaks Pace (net elevation change) 8:02 (+10) 8:02 (+17) 7:38 (-26) 8:13 (+6) 8:19 (+24) 8:01 (-39) 8:14 (+12) 8:20 (+36) I did the first 3 too fast, trying to get under 8:00. I learned two things, again, with this workout. 1) Make sure you are well rested before doing an interval workout, 2) RUN BY FEEL, not by the watch! When I did that for the last 5 reps, I was much happier.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

King of PhotoShop

Enke, you are getting into the swing of these interval workouts and learning a lot. Great job. Isley Brothers, from the 60's, "This Old Heart of Mine". Add me to the list of mitral valve prolapsers. It's such a minor thing compared to all the other stuff I have going on that I don't even pay attention to it any more. Craneium, I didn't realize you were at Brockport. Fine school and heck of an athletic program. Roch, send me an email when you get your new carrier, so we are up to date. Deez, from time to time someone posts your question and it always nets out to the same thing: half the people run right out the door and don't eat anything, the other half just can't run unless they have something in their stomach. It's what it is. I am in the first group. I will say that if you are going long, always eat something. Without eating anything this morning, I walked 5.5 miles. Felt great. Spareribs

I Can Go The Distance

I don't eat anything before running either. If I do I have other problems than a queasy stomach. After about three miles I would be looking for a bathroom. Dead Speed for me today: 2 mile wu in 22:27 11:14 pace 1000mx6 w/200m recoveries (goal pace 4:56): 4:57 4:56 4:51 4:55 4:56 4:56 2.5 mile cd in 24:48 9:56 pace Total: 9 miles in 1:24:38 9:25 pace Have a great day everyone Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Renee the dog

i have a question for you early morning runners -- do you eat anything before you head out for your runs? i find i wake up hungry and really need something so today had a small whole wheat bagel with a tiny bit of almond butter with my black coffee of course but around mile 3 i was kind of queasy and did some walking to work it out - any suggestions?
                          Yes. Don't eat. Tongue Really the only time I ate before running in the morning, I ended up with my head in a trash can throwing up on the boardwalk. Of course, it was early summer, partying late had started, and two young 20 something men walked by and commented, "Man that's hardcore. Partying 'till late at night and then still going out to run." If only....

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

King of PhotoShop

I don't eat anything before running either. If I do I have other problems than a queasy stomach. After about three miles I would be looking for a bathroom. Dead Speed for me today: 2 mile wu in 22:27 11:14 pace 1000mx6 w/200m recoveries (goal pace 4:56): 4:57 4:56 4:51 4:55 4:56 4:56 2.5 mile cd in 24:48 9:56 pace Total: 9 miles in 1:24:38 9:25 pace Have a great day everyone Bruce
                            Go Bruce! Spareribs
                              Rest day for moi today... I only have a cup of coffee in the morning pre run...unless it's a 20 miler,then I've been experimenting with oatmeal about an hour before I run...or a banana... {{{Mariposai}} Butterfly hugs to you for resting...
                              Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                                5 easy get to know my running legs miles. When I run early I usually go with a small bowl of cereal and coffee before I go, but that is what I am used to. Spareribs I am a proud alum as well as a coach at Brockport. How do you know of our school?